IGNORED

New Nick Name Needed

Br 1st ol

This may be treason to even suggest it, but i think "The Robins" is too weak a name...

What is the derivation of the 'Robins' anyway?

We need something to scare the opposition and their fans...

Something with a link to our great City...

How about The Bristol City Adventurers

or

Explorers

or

Bottlers (Sorry, delete this one)

or

Cider Drinkers

or

Shippers

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass
I've always liked the "Gasbusters".

All the shipping/adventurers nickname's open us up to Bristol's dodgy past as a port for slave-traders, possibly. :ph34r:

I like it 'Gasbusters'!

What about "The Tits" (Bristol's and birds)

Cider Fighters (although not exaclty family orientated)

City Slickers

Cow Pokers :ph34r:

Suspenders (Suspension Bridge ref.)

Sheep Worriers :ph34r:

Arrr Core :wacko:

I've always liked the "Gasbusters".

All the shipping/adventurers nickname's open us up to Bristol's dodgy past as a port for slave-traders, possibly. :ph34r:

'Bristol Babes' is our old nickname, why not use that again? Our emblem was a baby with a rattle :wacko:

As for slave trading, Bristol is infamous for sending black African slaves to the Americas. In fact prior to selling black African slaves, Bristol used to sell white English slaves taken from the North of England. These 'white' slaves were sold to Ireland circa 800 to 1100 AD. A little known fact but true nonetheless - how much would I get for selling Lee Peacock and Danny Wilson to the Irish? :ph34r:

Guest bristolbred

:wacko: The Bristol Brunellians!!

after the great man himself. :ph34r:

Imagine if Brunel has built Ashton Gate!! :baa:

Would of been bigger than Wembley!! :whistle:

I like the suggestion of "the Merchantmen!". :ph34r:

'Bombers' - after the Bristol Bomber aeroplane, and other bombers made in Bristol.

'Knights' - After the Knights Templar (Temple Meads, Temple church etc) as Bristol was one of the main (if not THE main) centres for the Knights that went to the Crusades.

Must admit it's the only thing I've ever envied the Gas over, as I reckon 'Pirates' is a cracking nickname, and the big skull and crossbones flags always looked impressive in the open end (for those that can remember back to the 70's.)

:ph34r:

how much would I get for selling Lee Peacock and Danny Wilson to the Irish? :ph34r:
Get done under the slave traders standards agency, selling non functioning product!!

They old bill type people ud come und lock ya in the Mem.. :wacko::ph34r::baa::whistle::whistle:

Get done under the slave traders standards agency, selling non functioning product!!

They old bill type people ud come und lock ya in the Mem.. :ph34r::wacko::ph34r::baa::whistle:

To think that 1,000 years ago I could of sold Peacock and Wilson to the Irish as slaves. I was born 1,000 years too late :whistle::whistle::whistle:

To think that 1,000 years ago I could of sold Peacock and Wilson to the Irish as slaves. I was born 1,000 years too late :ph34r::wacko::ph34r:
Nah you'd end up buying em back for 600,000 with DW's well known blarney...and Peacock would miss the last bloody coracle still :baa::whistle: !!!

Wonder if the dugouts then had posts or were they holes in the ground- Wilson would fall over, and blame the wind/pitch/fans, and Leapy....well he'd er miss!! like old times!!! :whistle:

The thought leprachauns would still ban ya...like old times!!! :whistle:

Nah you'd end up buying em back for 600,000 with DW's well known blarney...and Peacock would miss the last bloody coracle still :wacko::ph34r: !!!

Wonder if the dugouts then had posts or were they holes in the ground- Wilson would fall over, and blame the wind/pitch/fans, and Leapy....well he'd er miss!! like old times!!! :baa:

The thought leprachauns would still ban ya...like old times!!! :whistle:

I've got a bit of a taste for Irish stout (Guiness) as well as cider. Could it be that my ancestors swapped Northern slaves for the Guiness? :ph34r:

I've got a bit of a taste for Irish stout (Guiness) as well as cider. Could it be that my ancestors swapped Northern slaves for the Guiness? :ph34r:
Could be, best thing bout Ireland is th Guinniss, the weather is bloody awful!!! Would explain DW's permantly happy disposition eh? :wacko:

Why change the nickname? I dislike change for change's sake; if it isn't broke then don't fix it. I'm just saddened that in this world of ever increasing change there are those who have the attention span of a goldfish and want change change change now now now... well that's finished that construction oh ok that's boring lets change it... pah.

Leave it as the Robins. City are red, a robin has a red breast. Its nice and unassuming and safe.

Bristol Bombers has a nice ring to it ....there again so has Tiffanys

There a few connections both past and present that can be attached

Bristol Flyers (both from the aircraft and railway industries)

The Reds but could be confused with that small team on the Mersey

Bulldogs - tremendous bite to it but has been used by the speedway mob pre 1979

Birstol Biters - as in Norman Hunter who actually did bite yer legs and played a wonderful role in the old first division.

Birstol Saxons - or more correctly Brig Stow Saxons, a derivative of where are fair city gets its name

Bristol Boxers - as in the Bristol Boxing Stable and again from the aircraft industry circa WW1

South End - now there's a novelty - bring back St Johns lane - stop the building of Barretts homes.

I personally have never liked the name the Robins, and even the song allows the gas to chant "shoot the Besterd" in between. But I do believe we should keep it as it is traditional. I personally would like to see the image evolve a little, with maybe a rock band re-recording the song to give it some edge and the bird to be given sharp teeth or a real nast gleaming beak, in order to peck out those pesky Pirates eyes, ala Hitchcocks - The Birds

:ph34r::wacko::ph34r::baa::whistle::whistle:

and the bird to be given sharp teeth or a real nast gleaming beak, in order to peck out those pesky Pirates eyes, ala Hitchcocks - The Birds

:wacko::ph34r::baa::whistle::whistle::whistle:

ahhhh, the stuff of dreams (well for us), a flock of rabid robins circling over Horfield ready to dump tons of guano on the buggers and then pecking out the eyes of Dungford before all nesting in Osmans abundant locks :ph34r:

ahhhh, the stuff of dreams (well for us), a flock of rabid robins circling over Horfield ready to dump tons of guano on the buggers and then pecking out the eyes of Dungford before all nesting in Osmans abundant locks

What you smoking?

Bring some saturday :Cool27:

Archived