IGNORED

Untitled

cheshire_red

The time of clueless was my worst days of supporting the club. It was an utterly horrible time, worse than the drop from First to Fourth (and that was pretty tough). The guy was a nasty pice of work, had no time for the fans, wasted the club's money and drove us into the ground. It took us 3 or 4 years to unpick the mess he dragged us into. He was simply awful. Can someone tell me how he has remained in football management????

Also signed Carey, Orr, Brooker, Keogh and Basso and gave Leroy Lita a chance in the first team.

What's your point?

can't really credit Tinnion with Carey's signing really....but regardless of him

unfortunatly for all of those decent signings there is also players like.........Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, Matt Heywood, Jamie Smith and cough cough.......GRANT SMITH and TONY DINNING and lets not forgot the Tony Butler/Craig Ireland farce.........

can't really credit Tinnion with Carey's signing really....but regardless of him

Of course you can. Not only did he initiate the attempt to bring Carey back, he had worked his arse off to try and stop him going in the first place visiting him several times at his home.

unfortunatly for all of those decent signings there is also players like.........Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, Matt Heywood, Jamie Smith and cough cough.......GRANT SMITH and TONY DINNING and lets not forgot the Tony Butler/Craig Ireland farce.........

There wasn't anything wrong with Heywood, he did very well for us.

Smith was average.

Bridges, well, there were flashes but it didn't work out, and it didn't work out with Stewart. I don't think many managers would have turned down the chance to sign either of those players on a free.

What Butler/Ireland farce? Ireland wanted to come and fat Barry went back on his word. Butler wanted to go.

Yeah Grant Smith was terrible and it was a mistake to sign him to play on the left wing when he wasn't a winger. Dinning turned out to be useless but he'd played excellently on loan and most fans were crying out for us to sign him. Then he just stopped playing.

Tinnion wasn't a good manager, but his record in the transfer market wasn't bad at all really.

None of the players he signed were on long contracts, Stewart aside they weren't on big wages, GJ had little problem getting rid of those he didn't want unlike DW with the Pulis hangover.

Of course you can. Not only did he initiate the attempt to bring Carey back, he had worked his arse off to try and stop him going in the first place visiting him several times at his home.

There wasn't anything wrong with Heywood, he did very well for us.

Smith was average.

Bridges, well, there were flashes but it didn't work out, and it didn't work out with Stewart. I don't think many managers would have turned down the chance to sign either of those players on a free.

What Butler/Ireland farce? Ireland wanted to come and fat Barry went back on his word. Butler wanted to go.

Yeah Grant Smith was terrible and it was a mistake to sign him to play on the left wing when he wasn't a winger. Dinning turned out to be useless but he'd played excellently on loan and most fans were crying out for us to sign him. Then he just stopped playing.

Tinnion wasn't a good manager, but his record in the transfer market wasn't bad at all really.

None of the players he signed were on long contracts, Stewart aside they weren't on big wages, GJ had little problem getting rid of those he didn't want unlike DW with the Pulis hangover.

All can be deemed and justified though as bad signings, plus just look at them

The Butler/Ireland situation was a farce, Butler wanted to go, but Tinnion understandable wanted a replacement he signed Ireland on loan with a view to a perm move, but they let Butler leave before we had actually secured Ireland on a perm deal, Barry Fry was within his rights to still recall him, however Tinnion should never let Butler go before signing a replacement, total c**k up and we suffered for the rest of the season.

All can be deemed and justified though as bad signings, plus just look at them

Heywood wasn't a bad signing in any respect. Gj didn't want him fair enough, but he did what he was brought here to do.

That's not the point though, even if they were all bad signings he made just as many good ones. His record in the transfer market wasn't bad not least because the bad signings didn't actually cost us much at all.

The Butler/Ireland situation was a farce, Butler wanted to go, but Tinnion understandable wanted a replacement he signed Ireland on loan with a view to a perm move, but they let Butler leave before we had actually secured Ireland on a perm deal, Barry Fry was within his rights to still recall him, however Tinnion should never let Butler go before signing a replacement, total c**k up and we suffered for the rest of the season.

I think it's very unfair and disingenuous to blame Tinnion for fat Barry breaking a verbal agreement. How well would Butler have played wanting out? Besides, Butler wasn't very good anyway, he was hardly a big loss.

I'm suprised many are classing Brooker as a good signing as his fitness record has been an utter shambles, not tinnions fault, however OVERALL, I'm not sure I would class him as a good signing.

Think it is about more bad than good singinngs from Tinnion

Russell, Keogh, Basso - good

Stewart, Bridges, Grant Smith, Jamie Smith, Partridge, Dinning - bad in my eyes

Brooker - good player/unfortunate fitness record - not whole Tinnions fault, but didn't port vale say he had problems (could have been easily someone else)

Heywood - average at best

as for Carey........wouldn't class him really as a Tinnion signing, the player was unsettled and instigated a move back to Bristol, though in fairness it could be said Tinnion lost him in the first place maybe

I'm suprised many are classing Brooker as a good signing as his fitness record has been an utter shambles,

You can't really judge the manager on injuries IMO, Brooker didn't have a history of injury problems either.

He actually played 28 games last season which is quite surprising, 39 the season before and 44 the season before that and he has a better than 1 in 3 strike rate.

For the £150k he cost we've already had more than value for money out of him and when he's fit we'll get more.

Besides, I reckon we've not exactly helped by rushing him back too early several times in the last year.

as for Carey........wouldn't class him really as a Tinnion signing, the player was unsettled and instigated a move back to Bristol, though in fairness it could be said Tinnion lost him in the first place maybe

Tinns tried hard to keep him and it was Tinnion who had kept in touch with him whilst he was at Coventry and asked him about coming back after Hill left. If Tinnion hadn't been manager Carey wouldn't be back here, simple really.

Basso came to the club under Tinnion and was either on a short term deal or about to be offered one when he left the club. Johnson kept him.

Are you sure??? Thats a new one on me.

Carey left the club for two reasons. One was money, the other was Tinnion. He returned because he missed Bristol, not Tinnion. We've all worked for bosses we don't get on with, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Let's be honest, Tinnion came in, put his foot down, ruffled a few feathers, gave it the big "I am" and then ####ed it all up. A guy way out of his depth.

Are you sure??? Thats a new one on me.

Yep.

Carey left the club for two reasons. One was money, the other was Tinnion. He returned because he missed Bristol, not Tinnion. We've all worked for bosses we don't get on with, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Where did you get that from? From what I understood from one of the players they always got on well, the problem Carey had was with the club not the manager at all. The fact he came back bears that out IMO. Coventry is commutable.

Let's be honest, Tinnion came in, put his foot down, ruffled a few feathers, gave it the big "I am" and then ####ed it all up. A guy way out of his depth.

Yeah he did, although I think a fair bit of the blame has to lie with the previous manager who'd let the social culture get out of hand by ignoring it and the players like Coles who were happy to be Billy-big-b***ocks in town and not actually perform on the pitch.

Yep.

Where did you get that from? From what I understood from one of the players they always got on well, the problem Carey had was with the club not the manager at all. The fact he came back bears that out IMO. Coventry is commutable.

Yeah he did, although I think a fair bit of the blame has to lie with the previous manager who'd let the social culture get out of hand by ignoring it and the players like Coles who were happy to be Billy-big-b***ocks in town and not actually perform on the pitch.

Not many of the players got on with Tinnion as a player, let alone as a manager. He was regarded as sneak and a grass. A bit of a tell-tack-tick.Not a popular character with the playing staff at all.

Yes, he sorted out the "social culture", as you put it, and look what happened to the team?? The results were a disaster. Every good dog dog deserves a bone, and if the players want a beer on a Saturday night after a game, then thats fine by me. In fact, I'm 100% sure GJ thinks the same, as it's not a rare occurance to see the lads propping up the bar in Joe Publics on a Saturday night. He tried to be the big headmaster and ended up as the school dunce.

Are you sure about that Basso bit?

Coventry is commutable.

yes, if you don't actually like seeing your family or having any energy when you finally get home,

I spent last week driving each day from whitchuch to Exeter, not as far, but I'll tell you what the first couple of days it's ok, but by the end of the week, it becames a painful horrible drive,

having to do that week in, week out, is not good for you in any shape or form, phyiscally or mentally for many and these days understandable majority of clubs like players to live within a certain distance of the club, because it's impossible to keep in peak condition if your spending 4hrs a day at best in a car.

yes, if you don't actually like seeing your family or having any energy when you finally get home,

I spent last week driving each day from whitchuch to Exeter, not as far, but I'll tell you what the first couple of days it's ok, but by the end of the week, it becames a painful horrible drive,

having to do that week in, week out, is not good for you in any shape or form, phyiscally or mentally for many and these days understandable majority of clubs like players to live within a certain distance of the club, because it's impossible to keep in peak condition if your spending 4hrs a day at best in a car.

Yeah but bear in mind footballers don't do 9-5, 5 days a week, more like 10-2 4 days a week and then a match!

If it was me I wouldn't have taken a job in Coventry in the first place. I've seen it.

Basso came to the club under Tinnion and was either on a short term deal or about to be offered one when he left the club. Johnson kept him.

In the Evening Post's "City Promotion Special" there is an interview with Pete Johnson. In there he says he "brought Basso to the club after working with him at Woking".

Are you sure that Tinman brought him here before Johnson did?

In the Evening Post's "City Promotion Special" there is an interview with Pete Johnson. In there he says he "brought Basso to the club after working with him at Woking".

Are you sure that Tinman brought him here before Johnson did?

I was... I'm not so sure now.

I was under the impression he'd had a trial at Yeovil too and then come for one here and was into his first week or two here when Tinnion left and was replaced by Johnson, who extended his trial and then signed him.

Or am I confusing this with someone else...? I dunno.

I was under the impression he'd had a trial at Yeovil too and then come for one here and was into his first week or two here when Tinnion left and was replaced by Johnson, who extended his trial and then signed him.

I think you are 100% wrong. Definately a Johnson signing

I think it might be Guy Madjo you're thinking of. Johnson brought Basso to the club in October and Tinnion was sacked in Spetember I believe.

I thought Basso arrived before Tinnions departure, in any case, it was GJ who put him in ahead of Phillips, so lets credit GJ with that. In any case why the arguments about Tins? He signed some good players, some duff ones, and was not a great organiser/ motivator. However, his sides tried to play football, he was City through and through, scored the winner at Liverpool and was nowhere near as bad as Pulis. No arguments, Pulis was The Pits!

Archived