IGNORED

Tommy Doc

NEWTONRED66

This is my point - just becasue he played over 500 games for a 3rd division club so what? Legend No -In the last 20 years the only player that ive seen in the whole of football who will probs go down as a legend will be Ryan Giggs for Man United or Tony Adams for Arsenal. You have to win things to get legendry status.

well, turns out nobody has actually defined what "legend" should mean in this thread - so this is always going to be down to interpretation. but, i'm clearly not going to say Tinnion is as important as Adams or Giggs, but in my book a "legend" is somebody who attains legendary status according to the context he's playing in, not his outright ability.

Lee Trundle for Swansea, Dean Windass for various, Steve Davies for Luton/Burnley, John Sheridan for Oldham, Holloway for Gas... these players arent england class, but to dismiss them as "non-legends" just because they didnt make the big time basically means we should all pack up this lower division now stuff and support a premiership team, as we're all watching non-entities, doesnt it? I'll bet every fan for every club outside the prem can name you two or three "legends", i'll bet they all have had similar careers to tinman, and i'll be we wont have heard of most of them!

It was a drab old decade he played in, but thank **** he was there - else it would have been drabber still!

well, turns out nobody has actually defined what "legend" should mean in this thread - so this is always going to be down to interpretation. but, i'm clearly not going to say Tinnion is as important as Adams or Giggs, but in my book a "legend" is somebody who attains legendary status according to the context he's playing in, not his outright ability.

Lee Trundle for Swansea, Dean Windass for various, Steve Davies for Luton/Burnley, John Sheridan for Oldham, Holloway for Gas... these players arent england class, but to dismiss them as "non-legends" just because they didnt make the big time basically means we should all pack up this lower division now stuff and support a premiership team, as we're all watching non-entities, doesnt it? I'll bet every fan for every club outside the prem can name you two or three "legends", i'll bet they all have had similar careers to tinman, and i'll be we wont have heard of most of them!

It was a drab old decade he played in, but thank **** he was there - else it would have been drabber still!

You make some good points, do you think though as fans we are slightly biased? I mean i don't want anybody to think i hated Tinnion because i did'nt but in those 12 seasons how many can you honestly say he was quality, have you given him legendry staus purley on the amount of games he played? next season will carey be classed as a city legend or murray?

You make some good points, do you think though as fans we are slightly biased? I mean i don't want anybody to think i hated Tinnion because i did'nt but in those 12 seasons how many can you honestly say he was quality, have you given him legendry staus purley on the amount of games he played? next season will carey be classed as a city legend or murray?

Myself I've got some great memories of watching Tinnion play in a City shirt, not least the goal at Anfield and the season where he pretty much served up 20+ goals on a platefor Murray on the wing. I enjoyed watching him play and for me he's a legend. (In terms of the club, not in world football obviously).

The only players I'd consider to be legends that I've seen and I've been watching since about 86 are super Bob, Jacki and Tinnion. It will vary for everyone I'm sure.

i did in fairness also call him a fantastic, graceful player. I'd also add that his left foot is still the best i've seen live - and i've seen a lot of games! Would also add that if we all generally agree this is the best city side in nearly 20 years, then Brian Tinnion for me would make our squad better, and the only reason i wouldnt play him now is that he was always better with a good attacking left back behind him, and we don't have one now.

there have been better players that have come and go, but key reasons why i rate tinman as a true City Legend (and the reasons i reckon 90% of people will agree with me) are this:

* He was a great player, and i guess not a "conventional" player. His passing, his vision, and those perfectly weighted balls into the channels for Scotty/Brennan/Barnard to overlap onto, or those perfect raking diagonal balls for Murray/Goodridge to run onto without breaking stride couldnt be repeated by too many others i know.

* He was a fantastic servant for the club, and as well as playing over 500 games, was "Mr Bristol City", and the one player everyone from the opposition knew about.

a legend!!

Myself I've got some great memories of watching Tinnion play in a City shirt, not least the goal at Anfield and the season where he pretty much served up 20+ goals on a platefor Murray on the wing. I enjoyed watching him play and for me he's a legend. (In terms of the club, not in world football obviously).

The only players I'd consider to be legends that I've seen and I've been watching since about 86 are super Bob, Jacki and Tinnion. It will vary for everyone I'm sure.

agree those are the big three for me over the past 20 years... the only other i think will rightfully be up there will be Scott Murray when he retires.

Loves the clubs, loves the fans, scorer of 100 goals (when he finishes) and i reckon people will be talking about him fondly for 40 years - in the same breath as Bob, Jacki and Tinman.

I agree it will differ, Jacki is probably the most gifted player ive ever seen in a city shirt but only played about 47 times, Its difficult to choose a City legend over the last 20 years or so, If i had to choose one it would be Scott Murray but i can appreciate why so many people would choose Tins, I went to my first game in about 84 or 85 with my old man so maybe Alan Walsh.

I agree it will differ, Jacki is probably the most gifted player ive ever seen in a city shirt but only played about 47 times, Its difficult to choose a City legend over the last 20 years or so, If i had to choose one it would be Scott Murray but i can appreciate why so many people would choose Tins, I went to my first game in about 84 or 85 with my old man so maybe Alan Walsh.

not only did he only play 47 times - but thinking about it, Jacki also represented pretty much everything i hate about the modern footballer:

* He didnt fulfil his potential

* He didnt dedicate himself to his trade and train hard, and keep himself in good condition

* He spent a lot of time out on the town!

* He lost us loads of money in transfer fee (£250k) and wages

* Etc

... but with Jacki, just didnt matter. Man was a genius, and could do things with a football i still havent seen repeated live since. Bit like George Best - you coulnt really criticise, even though he did everyting wrong!

Another undisputed legend!

The fact that people still talk about Dziekanowski years later for his skill on the ball (not his drinking) proves to me he is a legend amongst fans, Tinnion will always be talked about for that goal at Anfield, Bob Taylor for his goals, Atyeo for his goals/ loyalty, Gow, Neville, Riley, The goat, The Ashton gate 8, Tommy, Murray. A few names I can remember off the top of my head, all have given the fans much to talk about, given us some great memories, legends in my eyes.

I would say if people still talk about them long after they have left, they have earned legend status.

How can you claim Tinnion was not a good player?? He may not have scored lots, or been one to skin a player with a flash of skill, but his range of passing I have not seen from anyone at the Gate since I bought my first season ticket back in '97. He used to pick out passes on the pitch you never even saw an opportunity to make.

As for Murray and Carey - they are already City legends for the sheer service they have provided. They have been fantastic players and give 100% whenever they put on the shirt - only age will see them dwindle. To provide their services to the club for so many years and to positively influence the club over such a long period is what makes them a legend.

So back to the original post, Tommy = good player, but not influential in a big enough way and over a long enough period to be a legend.

ALAN WALSH - LEGEND

BOB TAYLOR - LEGEND

GERRY GOW - LEGEND

TOM RITCHIE - LEGEND

JOHN SHAW - LEGEND

JOHN ATEYO - LEGEND ETC ETC

TOMMY DOC - GOOD PLAYER, NOT A LEGEND

How about Billy Wedlock??

The current squad will all be legends in alot of peoples eyes when (always the optimist me!!) we reach the premiership.. May take a season or two, but they will get us there..

Scotty Murray must be close to making the Legend status already.. He is in my opinion anyway.

Archived