IGNORED

Racism

Barrs Court Red

2nd Time I've heard a racist comment this season, which equals all the comments I've heard in the ground since following City.

Very dissapointing, and I see in another thread I'm not the only one to have heard something last night.

I thought this type of thing died out decades ago. Is it something that's becoming more prevalent? Or is it a coincidence?

Same here. Heard it quite alot this season. All from the same bloke. QPR was the worst. Thing is, we have a laugh and get on, do i report him?

Doesnt condone what hes saying think about how you would feel if someone was being racist towards you? I reported someone a few seasons back and it got on the official website. Its 2007 there shouldnt be any neanderthals making racist comments towards any player or fan in this day and age. :disapointed2se:

Or how about just say to him "look mate there's no need for that, it's got nothing to do with the colour of his skin, cut it out please"?

Racism obviously is wrong but there's nothing wrong with handling it like a reasonable human being and expecting him to do the same.

If he doesn't respond to something simple like that report it then.

Or how about just say to him "look mate there's no need for that, it's got nothing to do with the colour of his skin, cut it out please"?

Racism obviously is wrong but there's nothing wrong with handling it like a reasonable human being and expecting him to do the same.

If he doesn't respond to something simple like that report it then.

Yeah fair enough. Me and me dad have spoke about it and that's what he reckons is best to do. Be grown up about it and all that then if he doesnt stop then report. Probably seems the best way.

2nd Time I've heard a racist comment this season, which equals all the comments I've heard in the ground since following City.

Very dissapointing, and I see in another thread I'm not the only one to have heard something last night.

I thought this type of thing died out decades ago. Is it something that's becoming more prevalent? Or is it a coincidence?

What stand did this happen in ?

What stand did this happen in ?

I sit in the Dolman, and against Man City there was constant racial abuse targeted at Jihai Sun (spelling?) throughout the first half as he spent most of the time in front of me at right back. Some people have no shame.

Same here. Heard it quite alot this season. All from the same bloke. QPR was the worst. Thing is, we have a laugh and get on, do i report him?

Course you do,

You report all sub human specimens and hope the authorities quietly put them down.

Doesnt condone what hes saying think about how you would feel if someone was being racist towards you? I reported someone a few seasons back and it got on the official website. Its 2007 there shouldnt be any neanderthals making racist comments towards any player or fan in this day and age. :disapointed2se:

Hi Lisa, I am totally against racism in any shape or form, but I would like to mention the fact as to why nobody on here ( as far as I know) has ever mentioned about reporting people to the club for the chant that goes up every time Jamie Cureton plays against us, and this isn't an isolated person shouting this out, it's a large part of the ground at home and virtually 60-70% of the crowd when we are away, and that word which they use (in my opinion) is the most vile and disgusting word you can use to a person if it's an untruth.

Hi Lisa, I am totally against racism in any shape or form, but I would like to mention the fact as to why nobody on here ( as far as I know) has ever mentioned about reporting people to the club for the chant that goes up every time Jamie Cureton plays against us, and this isn't an isolated person shouting this out, it's a large part of the ground at home and virtually 60-70% of the crowd when we are away, and that word which they use (in my opinion) is the most vile and disgusting word you can use to a person if it's an untruth.

What calling him a gas head?

but jamie cureton is a cu.........

Now, I don't know what was said...so don't jump down my throat straight away!

But, I just wanted to make a few points..........

Where does all this political correctness stop? Do we ban people from chanting "who ate all the pies......" or from shouting out "Baldy", or from calling someone a useless Scottish/Irish/Welsh etc......., or from calling someone a "dirty Northern b$stard" or from calling the Welsh "sheep sh&ggers"..........

I think you get what I'm trying to say.

Like I said, I don't know what was said, but if it was something like "Black b&stard" is that any worse than the examples above?

Before anyone does start, I'm not condoning racism in any shape or form. I'm just questioning what is and what isn't racism, because I think it can create just as many problems by taking the whole PC thing too far.

Before anyone does start, I'm not condoning racism in any shape or form. I'm just questioning what is and what isn't racism, because I think it can create just as many problems by taking the whole PC thing too far.

Well racism's quite easy to define. Do you believe that one race of people is intrinsically superior or inferior to another. If so you're a racist.

Where does it stop. Well hopefully it stops with common sense. You shouldn't abuse someone for something they have no control over. You shouldn't continue to abuse someone even in jest if they make it clear that it's upsetting.

Political correctness falls down where member of society decides what's offensive for the people who could be offended.

Well racism's quite easy to define. Do you believe that one race of people is intrinsically superior or inferior to another. If so you're a racist.

Where does it stop. Well hopefully it stops with common sense. You shouldn't abuse someone for something they have no control over. You shouldn't continue to abuse someone even in jest if they make it clear that it's upsetting.

Political correctness falls down where member of society decides what's offensive for the people who could be offended.

That's the whole point I was trying to make. Whoever made the comments last night....do they believe they are superior to black people just because they themselves are white......I doubt it.

Were they just getting caught up in a tense/exciting football atmosphere......probably.

And yet they are defined as racists.

As I asked before, what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour these days. And how far should it go?

That's the whole point I was trying to make. Whoever made the comments last night....do they believe they are superior to black people just because they themselves are white......I doubt it. They're using the word black as a negative remark so of course they believe they are superior

Were they just getting caught up in a tense/exciting football atmosphere......probably. Does the excitement/tension make you want to bring race into things? I'm worried for you if it does.

And yet they are defined as racists. If they're decrying others races then yes they clearly are...

As I asked before, what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour these days. And how far should it go?

It's a subjective comment. Your view is as valid as anyone elses.

Is it acceptable to use someone's race as a slur?

Also chants about sheep and the Welsh are also racist. There will be many of those when Cardiff come here. Should those be stopped as well?

Also chants about sheep and the Welsh are also racist. There will be many of those when Cardiff come here. Should those be stopped as well?

If it offended them yeah it should. Since it doesn't (seem to) then it's not a problem. Banter only works with people who can deal with it. It stops being funny when you're hurtful.

Would you continue to abuse people if they were genuinely upset by it?

If it offended them yeah it should. Since it doesn't (seem to) then it's not a problem. Banter only works with people who can deal with it. It stops being funny when you're hurtful.

Would you continue to abuse people if they were genuinely upset by it?

I have a Welsh friend at work and he certainly doesn't like the comments about sheep, Max Boyce and Leeks!!

I appreciate that it makes no difference to the point you're making, and I'm certainly not accusing you of anything, but where did anyone mention skin colour? I hear lots of racist remarks that have nothing to do with skin colour - anti-Welsh statements for instance. Some people seem to think that those are somehow more acceptable than remarks involving skin colour when in reality they are just as offensive.

Where does all this political correctness stop? Do we ban people from chanting "who ate all the pies......" or from shouting out "Baldy", or from calling someone a useless Scottish/Irish/Welsh etc......., or from calling someone a "dirty Northern b$stard" or from calling the Welsh "sheep sh&ggers"..........

I think you get what I'm trying to say.

I do.

I've had the same conversation with a mate of mine after a fair few ciders. (He's black and he studied law).

I was pointing out that skin colour is just a difference like your height/weight/shoe size, people outside whatever the local norm is for anything like that occasionally get the piss taken. EG If I went with him to Jamaica I'd expect to hear lots of cracks about milkmen.

He reckoned that piss taking and racism aren't the same thing, racism actually is about discrimination which is treating someone differently/unfairly and piss taking is just banter.

But, the other thing he said that made me think is that people actually do suffer racism in the UK whereas they don't generally suffer from baldism or sheep shaggerism, so they would understandably be much more sensitive about piss taking.

The thing that irritates me (and him actually) was that with everything being so ultra PC these days it tends to discourage people from even talking about the subject.

Strangely I don't think we will be able to say that racism as it is has gone away until it IS acceptable to take the piss based on skin colour.

The difference is the 'sheep shagger' chants are purely banter,i can can accept that some people may find them offensive,but its different to shouting racist comments at a black player.

No. It isn't. Exactly the same excuses were being made for what you would call racist jokes 30 years ago, but times change. A lot of people thought they could use offensive racist remarks if their intentions were lighthearted, but perception is all, and the intended tone often doesn't reach the listener. By all means insult & wind up an opponent on an individual basis, but not by insulting a whole country or other group of people.

Archived