IGNORED

Looks Like Keogh Didnt Make A Big Impact

bringbacktherobin

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1154477,00.html

from bcfc.co.uk

Richard Keogh has returned to Ashton Gate following the conclusion of his second month on loan at Huddersfield Town.

The defender made ten starts and scored once during his stay at the Galpharm Stadium, but Huddersfield do not wish to extend Richard's loan into a third month.

Looks like he didnt make a big enough impact, hopefully it will make him think that grass isnt greener on the other side and properly battle to get into this side.

Guest Garfunkle

very over-rated last season. there were a number of people on here that choose to show 'their' line up before each game that always used to say he should be right back instead of orr - crazy!

I thought he looked really good the times I seen him play but apart from MOM on his hudd debut, reading their posts they couldn't wait to get rid of him!

Think I read somewhere he was delaying signing a new contract as he (or rather his agent!) thought he was too good for us - now I would imagine he'll sign ASAP in case it's withdrawn!

very over-rated last season. there were a number of people on here that choose to show 'their' line up before each game that always used to say he should be right back instead of orr - crazy!

I personally would'nt put him instead of Bradley Orr, but when he did play he always played well and never made mistakes....

I think Keogh is a victim of our success, any other team he would of at least played alot more.

• SC&T Board Members
I would imagine GJ would be saying "Contract, what contract is that then son?"

At the Q&A session, SL made it clear that RK, and any other player when it comes around to contract renewal time, would have to convince GJ and himself that they really wanted to be at the club and saw their long-term future with City. They can't just decide to sign because they have no better offer.

At the Q&A session, SL made it clear that RK, and any other player when it comes around to contract renewal time, would have to convince GJ and himself that they really wanted to be at the club and saw their long-term future with City. They can't just decide to sign because they have no better offer.

Too right as well, he needs to prove to Bristol City that this is the club he really wants to play for, and sort himself (and his agent) out,.

Saying all that I think he's a decent player,and could do well here, but needs to forget delusions of grandeur.

I wouldn't be too suprised to see him shipped back out on loan and maybe even released in January. I like Richard, but Ifinding it increasingly difficult to trust anyone other than GJ's judgement.

I like Richard, but Ifinding it increasingly difficult to trust anyone other than GJ's judgement.

Some fairly damning comments by Huddersfield fans on the 606 forum. He wasn't rated at all: according to one fan, his granny, who'd been dead for 20 years, could have done better. And we think we're vitriolic.

As has been said, it's a shame. Still remember his whole-hearted performances with affection; particularly when all around him appeared to be giving in at Forest two years ago. In reality, a lot more skill is required in our current situation and he must be at least sixth choice centre-back now.

I'm quite surprised he's back after reading in today's EP. He's saying how much he's enjoying it there and would grab the chance of another month if offered.

I've heard too that Huddersfield didn't rate him, maybe his heart wasn't really in it after all? But I fear that it is too late for him here, not the 1st player to have learnt the hard way and won't be the last either.

Shame as I like him but he disappointed me with the way he has acted, no doubt with his Agent's input, over his contract.

If Trundle, Jevons and Co can sit on the bench, or not even make the bench, so could have Richard Keogh!

I personally would'nt put him instead of Bradley Orr, but when he did play he always played well and never made mistakes....

I think Keogh is a victim of our success, any other team he would of at least played alot more.

He did, and they have just sent him back to us!

I like Keogh's personality and when he played for us in the centre last season, he looked the natural replacement for Carey.

Too big for his britches though - hope he doesnt do a Ayinsah/Goldbourne/Cotterill/Brown...

Sounds like Keogh made quite an impression at Huddersfield, unfortunately it was an impression of a carthorse, just read their rivals board and the comments on their are pretty damning.

It may work out for him somewhere but it aint going to be Huddersfield or Bristol City, I feel GJ has given him a chance to be a part of the squad and he turned it down by snubbing a contract, from where Johnson stands, thats pretty much a kick in the nuts, I don't blame Gary for letting him make his own way in the game from here, lets see where he ends up now, this really does have all the similarities of Aaron Brown/ Joe Anyinsah/ Andrew Jordan scenarios.

Silly, silly man If you ask me.

On last season's showings, I for one rated Keogh above Orr (who has improved a lot this season). He was inspirational at times, though perhaps a bit reckless and a converted centre back rather than a right back. For me though, a better defender and far better distributor than Orr overall.

Suggesting Keogh for first choice right back might not have agreed with your opinion, but it certainly wasn't crazy.

I'm surprised how badly he is thought of by Huddersfield, but amazed by the negative attitudes to him on here right now. Yes he may have made the wrong call by not committing himself, but that's his judgement, based on not getting a regular slot despite some great performances and goals. Fans are just too fickle, and ready now to turn on a guy who was hero six months ago.

Lets look at Keogh last season. Just last October he was Captain of his Countries under 21 team. For BCFC he started in 26 matches, another 12 as a substitute, scoring 3 goals. He seemed a happy smiling 20 year old with the edge on Fontaine. His future looked bright.

Several posters commented last year that Keogh could be a target from a higher club, well we are still waiting for that to happen. For me it was obvious that Keogh had an exit strategy on presentation night. He recieved his best youngest player award with enough reserve to indicate other plans.

Keogh is under contract for this season, as is Byfield and perhaps LJ [ ? ]. Is his new contract still on offer ? The last heard from GJ was the contract was on the table, is that still the situation.

I believe the club needs to be more upfront about all our players, for instance, has Frankie Artus been swallowed up, never to be heard of again. Nearly 12 months ago GJ said Artus was very very close to first team selection. This season he's been out on loan, " to get experience against grown men ". He's now back and I've heard nothing about him. Is he injured, in training, playing for Weston reserves .....what ?

I believe the club needs to be more upfront about all our players, for instance, has Frankie Artus been swallowed up, never to be heard of again. Nearly 12 months ago GJ said Artus was very very close to first team selection. This season he's been out on loan, " to get experience against grown men ". He's now back and I've heard nothing about him. Is he injured, in training, playing for Weston reserves .....what ?

Artus came back at the beginning of the month.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1130649,00.html

Exeter and City agreed not to extend his loan. Reason given in local press was that Artus was not playing regularly (I don't think he was making the bench either). GJ felt that he was better off playing for our reserves than doing nothing at Exeter.

It's interesting to compare the contrasting fortunes of Keogh and Fontaine.

Last season Fontaine seemed to be towards the back of the queue as cover for defensive positions while Keogh seemed the preferred choice as stand in. Keogh seemed to make the most of his chances and created a good impression with fans for his wholehearted attitude.

I suspect that Keogh listened to his advisers telling him that fame and fortune beckoned, but only if he moved from AG. Fontaine must have thought that the only way to resurrect his career would also mean moving to a new club, but instead of throwing his toys out of the pram he kept his head down and worked hard. When McCombe was injured, to say that Fontaine took the chance with both hands is an understatement.

Keogh got his move away from AG and what has he made of it? A good start had him saying that he would like to stay at huddersfield long term. unfortunately, a couple of months on Huddersfield don't see it that way and I would be interested to know how he is now viewed by the AG management. While Fontaine is forging an impressive reptation as a Championship defender I wonder whether Keogh will be sitting down with his advisers and discussing the fame and fortune options they outlined ot him at the end of last season and whether they are available with a move to a league 1 club? I wonder how much better a league 1 contract will look compared to the one City put on the table, but that has long since been consigned to the shredder?

Whoever said that life's a bitch, was spot on!

I don't think anyone can presume he's 'throwing his toys out the pram' because we don't know that.

Maybe he's just after first team football, which is sensible for a footballer at his stage of his career??

I'm pretty sure that if keogh signed the contract he would of been ahead of fontaine in the pecking order and starting games in the championship???

I'm pretty sure that if keogh signed the contract he would of been ahead of fontaine in the pecking order and starting games in the championship???

I said the exact same thing, I'm sure Keogh would have been given a chance before Fontaine. Looking at it now though, thankfully it was Fontaine, cause I think he has played a massive part in the start we have made!!!

I said the exact same thing, I'm sure Keogh would have been given a chance before Fontaine. Looking at it now though, thankfully it was Fontaine, cause I think he has played a massive part in the start we have made!!!

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. GJ said that Fontaine worked incredibly hard over the summer, and he's a better natural footballer than Keogh. Keogh would have to have put in a superhuman amount of effort to get himself ahead of Fontaine. Only a fit McCombe would have got ahead of him in my opinion (assuming Carey is a given).

I don't think anyone can presume he's 'throwing his toys out the pram' because we don't know that.

Maybe he's just after first team football, which is sensible for a footballer at his stage of his career??

That's fair comment Riaz, and perhaps I was being a bit glib.

However, I would have thought that for a young player being with a championship side, where you are highly thought of and have been doing well, would be the ideal situation in which to develop your career. If you are unhappy with the chances of regular first team football then you talk to the manager about it ( which may well have happened). If he cannot give you the guarantees you want then you ask for a transfer, which the club would probably grant if you are within a year of the end of your current contract and it's obvious that you don't want to stay.

If the club offer a new ( and I'm guessing , improved contract) and you reject that contract but don't ask for a transfer, then what does it indicate? We will all have our own interpretations, but to me at best it smacks of calculated financial benefit for the player (and probably agent) by planning to move when out of contract. At worst it's "toys out of the pram".

Unfortunately for Richard his plans have gone awry and he seems worse off than when he started this. Far from enhancing his playing reputation, he's been rejected at Huddersfield, so far from showing GJ what BCFC have been missing, he's probably confirmed GJ's judgement in playing Liam and made it even less likely that Richard will have regular first team football here for the forseeable future. Liam is at a not disimilar stage of his career to Richard, and in the space of 3 months he has secured regular first team football without any histrionics, but just by remaining committed to the club, working hard and putting in consistant performances.

The irony is that if Richard had accepted the contract and knuckled down I would gues he would have been GJ's first choice to replace McCombe and he might now be enjoying the regular first team football that started this whole palarva. In hinsight I think he has done the club a favour, as I cannot believe that Keogh would have been able to put in the commanding performances we have seen from Fontaine this season, so we have no acquired a top line central defender we really didn't know we had, and will lose a decent defender who perhaps wasn't quite as good as he, and many of us, previously thought he was.

On last season's showings, I for one rated Keogh above Orr (who has improved a lot this season). He was inspirational at times, though perhaps a bit reckless and a converted centre back rather than a right back. For me though, a better defender and far better distributor than Orr overall.

Suggesting Keogh for first choice right back might not have agreed with your opinion, but it certainly wasn't crazy.

I'm surprised how badly he is thought of by Huddersfield, but amazed by the negative attitudes to him on here right now. Yes he may have made the wrong call by not committing himself, but that's his judgement, based on not getting a regular slot despite some great performances and goals. Fans are just too fickle, and ready now to turn on a guy who was hero six months ago.

Careers are all about about decisons and timing, especially at City. Orr has taken his chance and has played well at rightback all season. Johnson also seems to be keen on bringing on Ribeiro as a future rightback. With Wilson also an option we seem to have more than enough cover. Now not sure whether Richard will be used as a centerback or any other position. Today he played at left back for the reserves with Vasko & Mccombe at C/B and Ribeiro at R/b. Keogh's future should become clearer over the next few weeks. Remember only a few months ago he was well in with GJ and the fans.

Archived