IGNORED

World Cup 2018 @ Ashton Gate

bh_red

We should start a campaign to get the world cup matches in bristol if we get the 2018 w c, the bristol city council would have to be heavily involved, transport ect, the prestige of it all, for the south west, we could even get extra investment to help us build or convert to a 40,000, who would`nt want to be involved in such a spectacle for the region, except them from the dark side....

Christ on a bike........weve put a good run together and exceeded all expectations in the first 10 or so games and now all of a sudden people are talking about 'The Premiership' and whether our stadia that we don't have yet will be good enough for a world cup in 2018 that hasn't even been announced is Englands yet.

Christ on a bike........weve put a good run together and exceeded all expectations in the first 10 or so games and now all of a sudden people are talking about 'The Premiership' and whether our stadia that we don't have yet will be good enough for a world cup in 2018 that hasn't even been announced is Englands yet.

Same old same old though with all this... The question is....Why would we want to have a 40000 seater stadium. It's akin to the Sags having an 18000 seater stadium... it'll be half full and less most of the time. What would that do for an atmosphere?!? I'd hate to see City compromise themselves by killing what atmosphere we currently get just so that we host Ivory Coast vs USA! I agree with Gary tDJ that people are beginning to get just a little carried away.

Wembley

Millenium Stadium (Yes I know it's in Wales but it will probably still get included)

Old Trafford

New Anfield

Ashburton

Villa Park

St James' Park

Stadium of Light

Elland Road

Hillsborough

St. Mary's

New Pompy Stadium at Horsea Island

Pride Park

Ricoh

Madjeski

All these will be in front of a 28k Ashton Gate with crap transport links for any World cup bid. It ain't going to happen.

Ashton Gate was actually considered in 1966, but was rejected because we then only had one stand.

1996 I rang 606 to suggest Euro games such as Croatia v Switzerland would not be a sell out and to have the tournament all over the country could have been played at Norwich, Ipswich, Soton, Plymuff or Ashton Gate. I was told for prestige reasons all games were played at Premiership grounds. Interesting that because 2-3 years ago there was a load of internationals played in London on the same day and Loftus Road was used for one of them.

It's all down to the "Face Fits Club".

Same old same old though with all this... The question is....Why would we want to have a 40000 seater stadium. It's akin to the Sags having an 18000 seater stadium... it'll be half full and less most of the time. What would that do for an atmosphere?!? I'd hate to see City compromise themselves by killing what atmosphere we currently get just so that we host Ivory Coast vs USA! I agree with Gary tDJ that people are beginning to get just a little carried away.

How about we keep the eat end then? dwarf it with two massive stands and put some of the home fans in there, I'm sure the atmosphere would improve by ten times as much and more. to be frank it isn't quite absurd but it close. Surely its worth speclating though.

Also the south will probably get one stadium and st marys would get that, host england macedonia once

We can dream cant we, a lot can be done in 11years, where is the ambition, all i am saying given the chance, the council plus private investment, lots of bodies would jump on the bandwagon and it would`nt cost us as much as if we were to go it alone grants ect as well or possibley a new stadium, and no, not for the sags to share..

Last time in 1966 eight grounds were used:

Villa Park, Birmingham

Goodison Park, Liverpool

Wembley, London

White City, London

Old Trafford, Manchester

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough

Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield,

Roker Park, Sunderland

Interestingly all the games in Englands group (England Uruguay France Mexico) were played at Wembley except for one game which was switched to the (now demolished) White City ground - the reason? Because the Wembley Stadium company refused to reshedule a greyhound racing night to allow the Uruguay v France game to take place there!

Imagine that today - a World Cup match playing second fiddle to a greyhound meeting!!

Realistically I doubt if Ashton Gate will have any chance given the current redevelopment outlook - If FIFA want the games to be played more in the regions the South Coast will have a better chance with big new grounds at Portsmouth and Brighton by then together with St. Mary's & the Madjestki.

I also read somewhere that not only do FIFA have minimum capacity and spectator standards they also require the venues to have outside space capable of taking large marquees so that the sponsers can lay on the corporate hopitality and the world's TV can also set up etc. most grounds do not have enough internal hospitality areas to host the large amount of sponsers.

This would tend to count against the older stlye inner city grounds where the streets run right up to the stands and favour the newer out of town "bowls".

Wonder what div. City will be in by the time 2018 comes around?

My guess at a likely 2018 Evening Post headline:

BROOKER 2 WEEKS AWAY FROM STARTING TRAINING SAYS CITY MANAGER LEE JOHNSON

CR

Some points:

The tournament has expanded since 1966 and there were 12 grounds used in 2006 and I would guess the same would be used in 2018

Most stadia were renovated for Germany 2006, e.g. increasing the Nuremburg capcity by 10k

The lowest capacity stadium was 42K

The stadia were well spread throughout Germany only Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund very near geographically

The stadium in Leipzig was brand new and chosen to represent the former East Germany

The team who plays in Leipzig are only in the German 4th division

In 1990 brand new stadia were built in Sicily and Sardinia even though they were not strong football regions at the time.

The Euro Champs are much less well attended than the world cup. You need to have the venues well spaced out to allow for all the visiting fans / dignitaries / press. You need to allow for numbers of hotel rooms etc

So I can imagine an English bid proposing the following

Wembley

Liverpool

Manchester

Newcastle or Sunderland

Leeds or Sheffield

Birmingham

Leicester, Nottingham or Derby

Bristol

Plymouth

Southampton / Portsmouth / Brighton

2 more taken from the options above

The only region not represented there would be East Anglia but I think Norwich/Ispwich are possibly too small.

I'm not sure I can see the Emirates going ahead as it is very close to Wembley.

Ashton Gate and Plymouth's ground are too small and unlikely to be upgradeable so I imagine that new 40K stadia would be built. If we didn't want to move then potentially Rovers and Rugby could share the new Bristol ground :surrender:

Archived