IGNORED

One Team In Bristol. Lets Do It.

Redhyde

Let's merge the clubs.

If the whole city was one we could have a truly massive club to rival anything (with the right investment) anywhere in the country. While we remain divided there's still potential fans (4000 or so and their future families) we're missing out on their money and backing.

Let's get us into the Premiership.

Let's build a 40000 out of city stadium.

Use the current Rovers franchise as a way to develop the young players of the area and the new clubs even better academy.

Play in Red at home and Blue and White away.

And lets ALL have a successful club to support rather than just us city fans.

Let's all be one big happy family.

Let's face it, there isn't a rivalry any more so there's nothing to miss in that regard.

I just don't see why not?

Let's merge the clubs.

If the whole city was one we could have a truly massive club to rival anything (with the right investment) anywhere in the country. While we remain divided there's still potential fans (4000 or so and their future families) we're missing out on their money and backing.

Use the current Rovers franchise as a way to develop the young players of the area and the new clubs even better academy.

Let's face it, there isn't a rivalry any more so there's nothing to miss in that regard.

I look forward to seeing who will be the first person to "bite" on this one :rofl2br:

I look forward to seeing who will be the first person to "bite" on this one :rofl2br:

I'm serious. Since the rivalry's dead i don't see the point for two clubs except for one to be a feeder club. We might as well have an amnesty and allow the rovers fans to come over now instead of gradually dripping over as their kids want to support the premier club in the city rather than a league two outfit.

I'm serious. Since the rivalry's dead i don't see the point for two clubs except for one to be a feeder club. We might as well have an amnesty and allow the rovers fans to come over now instead of gradually dripping over as their kids want to support the premier club in the city rather than a league two outfit.

How about this then...

Steve Lansdown takes a few quid out of his ever growing trillions, buys up the Sags and their allotment of a ground.....before taking them out of the football league and sending them to the Downs League. He can then force all of their players to play for my Sunday team....as we have been talking about setting up a reserve team next season! On top of that, with Bonfire night upon us, we can have one big bonfire up the Mem.....I mean, Eastville and Trumpton went that way, we may as well make it the hat-trick.

any other ideas?

haha nice one. I wouldn't see why we'd let them join in on our success, they wouldn't bring anything to the mix at all.

We'd gain the second franchise as a feeder club, and the extra fans. The council would have to get behind a single entity or risk offending the entire football population of the city (which would grow to be huge) and risk being voted out.

We'd still have the banter as we argue about who to select etc, in fact it's much more fun arguing with your own fans rather than others.

I just don't want to be selfish and deny our fellow citymen the chance to be part of the success.

But which ground would we u...

...oh wait, I forgot! They don't have one!

Plus if we were going to merge with someone shouldn;t we choose a team who'll be playing in Bristol for the forseeable future? And on a side note; do you think Chelts has a high enough population to support two football teams, because I'm not too sure myself.

:fish:

Ok this is the first and last time i'll respond to any fishing accusation on this thread.

When you fish, you're trying to get an emotional reaction and wind up people to the point where they post utter nonsense and embarrass themselves.

How could any city fan be wound up by this proposal?

I just think it's a logical proposal which would suit the long term interests of both the clubs themselves and the people who support them.

I think the Gas should mege with Forest Green and form a credible lower division side that could feed into us and be a good place for us to loan players that can't get in the first team but need a workout!

Seriously, I can't see any advantage at all in merging with them. The 4,000 people that go to see the Gas already have the option of coming to Ashton Gate and they don't...that shows they are not really interested in top class football..they like standing up, quartered shirts, singing 1950s songs about Irene, they probably use Brylcream and carry rattles for all I know...leave em alone, Bristol may be able to market the Memorial Ground as a time-warp theme park in the future.

Ok this is the first and last time i'll respond to any fishing accusation on this thread.

When you fish, you're trying to get an emotional reaction and wind up people to the point where they post utter nonsense and embarrass themselves.

How could any city fan be wound up by this proposal?

I just think it's a logical proposal which would suit the long term interests of both the clubs themselves and the people who support them.

I think we're all in disbelief that anybody could think that leaving our heritage behind and sharing our success with Gasheads would be a good idea.

Mind you, their debt, rubbish players, lack of facilities and insignificant fansbase would enhance us!!

Bristol United in red and blue: no heritage, no soul...

...no point?

I think we're all in disbelief that anybody could think that leaving our heritage behind and sharing our success with Gasheads would be a good idea.

Mind you, their debt, rubbish players, lack of facilities and insignificant fansbase would enhance us!!

...no point?

I think that sums it up nicely.

...no point?

If it ever happens I will bear my backside in Burtons window!!

:ph34r:

Let's merge the clubs.

Crackers. :disapointed2se:

Why not merge Liverpool and Everton; Man U and Man City; Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday; Stoke and Port Vale etc while you're at it. :noexpression: Merge WBA and Wolves as well - they'll love you for that. :whistle2::rolleyes:

To be honest Redhyde mate, I'd be for it....

Nothing against the Rovers lads in honesty, and the added support would be a boost.

The extra 4,000 wouldn't be that much to be honest plus how many would just not follow the merger team?

It would never happen that way. If City were to go under tomorrow I wouldn't start going to see the Rovers, I would probably invest my season ticket money in Sky etc and become a sad armchair Liverpool supporter. I think that this would become the case for a majority of their supporters as well. I don't think the Rovers bring enough to the party to warrant a merger, selling their ground back to the rugby club would probably generate enough for wages bill for the year, but what else do they have that we want?

You are unlikely to break down the apathy of the Bristol public just by giving it one team to support, if Liverpool and Sheffield can support two clubs then in theory we should have enough people here to do so as well. Nottingham is far smaller than Bristol yet one of their teams has had great success within living memory.

I just don't see the point of a merger, sorry.

...no point?

We were formed in 1982, what have we done? What heritage? Even if you take into account pre 1982 we have nothing to be proud of. It's a history of complete failure.

I mean think about it, the single greatest moment in the history of the club is LOSING in the FA cup final 100 years ago. How utterly pathetic. And I've seen people on here wanting to have a commemorative game for that too, UNBELIEVABLE, damn right i want to sweep away the disaster that is the losing culture of our city and club.

We under Gary Johnson have finally finally got a positive attitude amongst the fans and club and i desperately want to continue this. We have a new winning culture, we have a new set of values, lets have a new club and a new stadium, and a new (inclusive support to back this up.

Let's move forward and create a history and heritage we can actually be proud of and having one club in the city is the recipe for sustained success.

We were formed in 1982, what have we done? What heritage? Even if you take into account pre 1982 we have nothing to be proud of. It's a history of complete failure.

I mean think about it, the single greatest moment in the history of the club is LOSING in the FA cup final 100 years ago. How utterly pathetic. And I've seen people on here wanting to have a commemorative game for that too, UNBELIEVABLE, damn right i want to sweep away the disaster that is the losing culture of our city and club.

We under Gary Johnson have finally finally got a positive attitude amongst the fans and club and i desperately want to continue this. We have a new winning culture, we have a new set of values, lets have a new club and a new stadium, and a new (inclusive support to back this up.

Let's move forward and create a history and heritage we can actually be proud of and having one club in the city is the recipe for sustained success.

Whoa, steady there.

We might not have a trophy case full to brimming, but we do have history, however humble. I am as pleased as anyone else about the 'revolution' Johnson is currently putting our club through on the pitch, but saying "we ere formed in 1982" is a bit odd.

I have no love for Rovers but wouldn't wish them extinct. I have a dream that we will one day become stable in the top two divisions, while Rovers play derbies against the likes of Forest Green in league two/conference, but the simple fact we have a local rival (however little of a threat) is a positive thing in my eyes.

And saying we started in the 1980s is quite disrespectful to those who played with pride for the club prior to that. John Ateyo, God rest his soul, would not be happy

• SC&T Board Members

Hypothetical and unlikely as this scenario is, there is one very tangible benefit of only having one team in Bristol (be that by merger or extinction of the weaker club): the undivided and totally partial support of the city council, the city's business community and the local media.

Neither club will ever get full support from any of those sectors while they each feel they have to be even-handed towards the two clubs.

Someone must be really, really bored.

Anyone on a football forum at all, doesn't have the most exciting life in the world.

But nope, watching the football and playing munchkin with a few mates with a real ale in hand, couldn't be happier :)

If my only concern in life was glory, I'd have supported Liverpool back in the 80s.

Fortunately, I fell in love with Bristol City for what they are, and never did our dismal ruts make me want switch allegiances or combine my club with anyone else.

We are now seeing that even without a glorious hostory, a billionaire owner OR a merger, we are able to create success.

I dare say there are people who have a vision of a Bristol United with a Russian owner, a catalogue of South American international stars...

...well that's not my dream.

Archived