IGNORED

Lee Johnson...

MATT BCFC

Now I don't want to crictise one player but for me Johnson just doesnt demand the ball enough. I have no doubt in his ability but he seems to go missing. He often seems to drift out to the wings leaving a big gap in the centre of midfield.

Think we need someone like Noble alongside Marv in midfield whos going to demand the ball and really give us more creativity, which we really seemed to lack last night.

Would say at home games we should play 4-4-2 with Noble and Marv in midfield. Where as away from home the 4-5-1 formation with Noble just behind the lone striker would work better.

Now I don't want to crictise one player but for me Johnson just doesnt demand the ball enough. I have no doubt in his ability but he seems to go missing. He often seems to drift out to the wings leaving a big gap in the centre of midfield.

Think we need someone like Noble alongside Marv in midfield whos going to demand the ball and really give us more creativity, which we really seemed to lack last night.

Would say at home games we should play 4-4-2 with Noble and Marv in midfield. Where as away from home the 4-5-1 formation with Noble just behind the lone striker would work better.

Serious?? :noexpression:

From the middle of the Dolman stand, i regularly see him collecting the ball from, all 4 defenders and both wingers?!?!?!?!

Disagree.

Johnson Jr is the one player who sits at the back of MF and distributes the ball forward. It's not fair to say he doesn't demand it, just watch him - he does excatly that, sometimes too much!

Last night he had a poor game, didn't look fired up and sent too many balls astray. I would also argue his lazy looking non tackle allowed the bloke to run forward to cross for the goal, when he should have crunched him. the main beef I have with him is the little dinked chips and showy balls when we just need a simple pass or a lay off.

Losing possesion in this division is far more costly as the teams (like Charlton) can do a lot more with it.

We've played well, but lets not forget Charlton have been a prem club for a while and it showed.

something to aim for lads, onwards and upwards.

Disagree strongly with every word. One of johnsons key strengths is that he doesn't go missing and always demands the ball off the back four. I thought his work rate was very good last night, even if his passing wasn't, and if you went to Wolves you would have seen a polished display from LJ. Noble doesn't play in midfield, he wont ever as long as GJ is manager! His work rate is poor, and his technique means he is best in the role behind the striker as he's the most skillful player at the club.

Despite Elliott being the player of the season so far, he was far worse that johnson last night.

Disagree strongly with every word. One of johnsons key strengths is that he doesn't go missing and always demands the ball off the back four. I thought his work rate was very good last night, even if his passing wasn't, and if you went to Wolves you would have seen a polished display from LJ. Noble doesn't play in midfield, he wont ever as long as GJ is manager! His work rate is poor, and his technique means he is best in the role behind the striker as he's the most skillful player at the club.

Despite Elliott being the player of the season so far, he was far worse that johnson last night.

To say Noble won't ever play in central midfield under GJ is not strictly true, he played regularly in central midfield for a season and a half before moving into this role behind a striker.

I do rate Lee Johnson but would not say he has a greater workrate than Noble. I personally feel Skuse alongside Elliott especially away from home would be a better option.

Disagree.

Johnson Jr is the one player who sits at the back of MF and distributes the ball forward. It's not fair to say he doesn't demand it, just watch him - he does excatly that, sometimes too much!

Last night he had a poor game, didn't look fired up and sent too many balls astray. I would also argue his lazy looking non tackle allowed the bloke to run forward to cross for the goal, when he should have crunched him. the main beef I have with him is the little dinked chips and showy balls when we just need a simple pass or a lay off.

Losing possesion in this division is far more costly as the teams (like Charlton) can do a lot more with it.

We've played well, but lets not forget Charlton have been a prem club for a while and it showed.

something to aim for lads, onwards and upwards.

The reason that Johnson and Elliott were poor last night, is that Charlton did their homework on us very well, and saw that we like to knock it around the midfield, and realised that Johnson was the passing midfielder who could hurt them most. Every time one of our midfielders, and centre backs for that matter, had the ball, they were closed down very quickly, a tactic that we ourselves have used very well this season. As much as it hurts to say it, it seems that we have been sussed, albeit by another very good team. Lets just hope that we can get back to our usual flow on Saturday.

The reason that Johnson and Elliott were poor last night, is that Charlton did their homework on us very well, and saw that we like to knock it around the midfield, and realised that Johnson was the passing midfielder who could hurt them most. Every time one of our midfielders, and centre backs for that matter, had the ball, they were closed down very quickly, a tactic that we ourselves have used very well this season. As much as it hurts to say it, it seems that we have been sussed, albeit by another very good team. Lets just hope that we can get back to our usual flow on Saturday.

A very good analysis if I may say so. However I think we recognised this in the second half so Carey and Fontaine started to bring the ball out of defence and commit their midfield more. Played a part in our improved performance I thought and nice to have central defenders comfortable on the ball (leaving out Liam's forty yard shot when he got a bit over excited!).

I think thats probably very true, I would say (and GJ sort of confirmed this) that we didn't have our usual ping and zip about our game. We play better at speed, but it was clear last night we didn't acheive that except for that 20 min spell in the 2nd half.

Teams will wise up to our tactics, which only means we have to show guile and ability in being able to adapt and change during a game.

I think we saw GJ implement some changes second half that on another night would have brought a goal.

Probably going to get shot down for this, i thought little Lee was among our best players last night. No one seems to want to single him out but they still do so, somewhat un-nessacerrally on occasions. Last night he was passing the ball along the floor and playing some simple effective football. Give the lad a break... please :englandsmile4wf:

Probably going to get shot down for this, i thought little Lee was among our best players last night. No one seems to want to single him out but they still do so, somewhat un-nessacerrally on occasions. Last night he was passing the ball along the floor and playing some simple effective football. Give the lad a break... please :englandsmile4wf:

Agreed! There isnt a player in our match day squad that I don't rate! Yet for many LJ is rubbish! don't understand it myself!

I agree however if the passes from Carey, Orr, Sproule, McIndoe, McAllister, Johnson and Elliot had been hit firmer then it would have foiled Charlton's plans - first half the balls were under hit - 2nd half they had the correct strength on the passes and Charlton couldn't live with it.

Stop having a go at Lee when all of the passers of the ball were all guilty of not hitting their passes witht hte correct strength and allowed Charlton's midfielders to step in front of the receiver's of the ball.

Lee Johnson is a good passer but is a weakness in our midfield, as well.

Charlton didn't do anything earth-shatteringly clever last night, but when they were in possession, they broke with pace, straight through the middle a lot of the time before pinging it to their wide men. They went past Lee like he wasn't their, at times, because he's not enough of a physical presence, and isn't much of a tackler.

I'd like to see Marv and Skuse together in the middle, with Noble playing behind Byfield. i think that would stop Ivan and McIndoe tending to drift into the centre and give us more width.

Credit to charlton for playing the way they did but I've see other teams employ the same tactic, it's just that we've got away with it once or twice this season.

BTW I think Brian Wilson was unlucky to be dropped when Sproule came in. I'd like to see him back in the match day squad soon.

Archived