IGNORED

Observations On The Day

22A

1. Drinking with some Ipswich fans before the game and they were saying "This'll be our hardest game so far", "This game is too close to call" and "I'm worried what that McIndoe will do to our defence".

2. Despite being in the Home End, as I was in the disabled seating area, I was allowed in wearing shirt, scarf & hat. Unlike many grounds I did not have to cover my colours.

3. What a grotty third choice strip:- white & olive green.

4. The team looked disorganised from the start and Basso did not appear to be his usual self. As their 2nd goal went in I expected Basso's left hand to stretch out and save it.

5. When Basso prepared to kick the ball out, the Ipswich players moved to their right, his left as they KNEW that's where the ball would go.

6. I was sat in the North Stand away to the right of you City fans in the Cobbold Stand. You could be heard singing throughout the first half.

7. Tall Enoch came on for the 2nd half and City pumped a few high balls into the Ipswich area and finally looked threatening for 5 mins.

8. After the penalty I got the impression the players decided to simply try and keep the score down.

9. Our defence appeared so frail (particularly the left side) that Ipswich looked like scoring every time they attacked.

10. Despite a notice warning that fans who persistently stand will be ejected, Ipswich fans in the North Stand behind the goal stood for all of the 2nd half. I spoke to a Steward who said the fans were determined to stand, so the Stewards have stopped trying to make them sit down, after all it's the Home End and it's behind the goal, what did I expect . I explained how Bristol Council have threatened to remove City's Safety Certificate if we stand to which he said "ITFC own the stadium, but Ipswich Council own the actual land. If the Safety Certificate was removed Ipswich Council would be the ones in trouble with the FA".

Strangely I thought we played well in patches. Special mentions for McIndoe and Byfield who ran their socks off 'till the end. Their first goal was a deflection and their second a corker but at 2-0 we were still in it and the next goal was crucial. The fact the it came accompanied by Orr's sending off finished the game.

McCallister - stupid fifth booking for arguing with the lino about a throw in?????

Sproule - very poor and no threat

Johnson - completely out of his depth when Elliott has an average game

Showunmi - same old same old

Wilson - tried hard and looked bright

Noble - OK but didn't influence the game enough

Defence - overran

We seem to have perfected the art of being brushed off the ball quite easily - bit of steel needed. It was a bit like a mens team against the U-18s.

Never mind it's only one game - this lot have character, watch out Leicester. Proud of the support - never stopped singing still miles better strictly come dancing.

Archived