IGNORED

Stewards Today

NickJ

Threw a young lad out for the disgraceful act of throwing an empty plastic bottle on the pitch when Ipswich scored their third. He lobbed it out of frustration, it threatened no-one, but out he went.

To the letter of the law, they were right. And thats where the justification begins and ends.

Threw several lads out for "obscene gestures". The Ipswich fans would have needed binoculars to have seen those hand movements. Of course, the gestapo sat in their control room played and re-played videos of this really threatening behaviour, and had their men. So up marched the morons and out these lads went as well.

Does anyone else think its pathetic they got nobbled when the only way their "offence" could be picked up on was saddos zooming in on actions not seeable by the naked eye?

And then the usual attempts at sitting down people, at the back of the stand, who would rather stand up. For our "own safety", of course. Well **** off, we'll take the risk, thankyou.

I'm pissed off with these jobsworths.

BTW does anybody know why its not permissible to stand up during the game, but anyone can stand up before the game or the entire half time period and thats alright?

Rant over, and looking on the positive side, I thought our vocal support, especially from the lads on the right hand side today, was tops. I think the players could have acknowledged it more, but then they probably just wanted to get off the pitch to be fair.

:goingup:

Threw a young lad out for the disgraceful act of throwing an empty plastic bottle on the pitch when Ipswich scored their third. He lobbed it out of frustration, it threatened no-one, but out he went.

To the letter of the law, they were right. And thats where the justification begins and ends.

Threw several lads out for "obscene gestures". The Ipswich fans would have needed binoculars to have seen those hand movements. Of course, the gestapo sat in their control room played and re-played videos of this really threatening behaviour, and had their men. So up marched the morons and out these lads went as well.

Does anyone else think its pathetic they got nobbled when the only way their "offence" could be picked up on was saddos zooming in on actions not seeable by the naked eye?

And then the usual attempts at sitting down people, at the back of the stand, who would rather stand up. For our "own safety", of course. Well **** off, we'll take the risk, thankyou.

BTW does anybody know why its not permissible to stand up during the game, but anyone can stand up before the game or the entire half time period and thats alright?

Rant over, and looking on the positive side, I thought our vocal support, especially from the lads on the right hand side today, was tops. I think the players could have acknowledged it more, but then they probably just wanted to get off the pitch to be fair.

Always baffled me that has. I could in theory enter the ground when the turnstiles open at 1.30ish I think it is and stand in my seat for an hour and a half but as soon as the game kicks off I have to sit? Where is the logic in that?

That one always gets me!!!

People stand and chat in the gangways at the time when apart from the end of the game , people are moving around the most!!

Try getting to the loos or kiosks in the DOLMAN at half time, everyone's stood and chatting!!!

I know it is a difficult job, but a lot of stewarding at football does cause bad feeling and the risk of trouble, when it could be dealt with easier or not at all!!!

i agree that folks should have the right to stand if they like, but until they give you standing areas, those that choose to stand should give some thought to who may be behind them ....

a group of lads continually stood up, in the right hand block today, it didn't affect me, but it did affect the elderly folks behind them who couldn't have seen a lot of the game.

i also found it quite amusing th at at half time these same lads were in the food area grumbling about paying £30 and coming to watch this sh**e ...... when for 30 mins of the first half they had been glaring, pointing and making the normal gestures at the sparse gathering of ipswich fans (who were ignoring them), and weren't watching most of the game.

this loyal band of supporters also chose to leave before the end of the game as well .

but i must congratulate the majority of our fans there, our singing was non stop, and if our applause to the players and staff at the end of the game didn't get through to them. they don't deserve to wear the red shirt.

so its payback to Ipswich in December, after we've warmed up by beating leicester and hull .......

and as for the ipswich support, was there any ?? , not even a gloating call to five live on the radio .

i still think 48 points is the target, and another 9 points before christmas will do nicely.

:englandsmile4wf:

Its permissible to stand at any time and is not illegal and does not conravene ground regulations unless it is persistent. Utterly illogical this because standing is accepatable in moments of excitement. Now Ipswhich scored six times and had countless shots, corners, attacks all of which would have been moments of excitement . I have yet to see anyone provide a specific description of moments of excitement.

Some will state standing is dangerous! There is no factual evidence provided by the FA or Football licensing authority to back any claims up.

May have been a bit ott, but hardly morons for doing what they're there to do?

Everyone that I spoke to seemed polite and friendly.

So it doesn't matter whether anyone else wants to sit down and watch the game and can't because others insist on standing and blocking their view?

And I'm pissed off with those who think it's OK to do exactly what they want with total disregard for anyone else?

The vocal support was great today, a pity more of it wasn't directed at the team rather than at the Ipswich fans.

A group of lads in front of me spent more time shouting and gesturing at the home fans than watching the game. The irony was that having chanted at them "Your support is ######ing Sh1t", then the decided to leave with at least 25minutes remaining. Pot and kettle?

i agree that folks should have the right to stand if they like, but until they give you standing areas, those that choose to stand should give some thought to who may be behind them ....

a group of lads continually stood up, in the right hand block today, it didn't affect me, but it did affect the elderly folks behind them who couldn't have seen a lot of the game.

this loyal band of supporters also chose to leave before the end of the game as well .

I don't normally sit/stand with the lads that continually stand up, but I did yesterday, had a great time standing and singing all game, and I can tell you there were no elderly folk (however that is defined) behind us who didnt also want to stand up.

And I can also tell you that none of the lads around me voluntarily left before the game ended.

The vocal support from the lads that stand up (on the right hand side looking down yesterday) was exceptional those lads just want to create an atmosphere at football and if sometimes they go a little over the top I personally would rather that than have football played out in a library atmosphere which is what some people seem to want.

Redtucks.

It is possible to be polite and friendly - which they were - but also a moron. The steward that asked me to sit down several times was very polite and friendly. He was even very polite and friendly in indicating I would be thrown out if I did not do so. The 3/4 rows behind me were all stood up, out of choice. Ipso facto, in my opinion, the steward was a polite, friendly moron, hiding behind the fact that he's "just doing his job(sworth").

I think there were very few people continually stood up in front of people who did not also want to stand up. The standers were all at the back, which is where they deliberatly congregate in order that they will not block anyones view, and in that regard I think they are very respectful of other fans who do not wish to stand. On the contrary, I think anyone who sits at the back, among the "standers", but does not wish to stand themselves, is actually being quite selfish.

You are correct, the vocal support yesterday was excellent - from the group of lads you are so keen to criticise. Most of the support was, contrary to what you say, directed at backing our team - Red Army, Red Flag Flying High, Greatest Team the World has Ever Seen, We are the City Boys, Drink up Thee Cider, Basso, Johnson Wonderland, Marvin Elliott, City Till I Die, etc etc were the predominant songs, with just the odd "Small Team in Norwich" and "Your support is ###### Shit" (which it was) thrown in now and again as banter at the Ipswich fans.

Try joining in - you might even enjoy it.

I was the lad in the very back row trying to get the chants going. At H/T we were told by police we were being too loud and that we were making ourselves noticeable and if we continued in the 2nd half we would be ejected and possibly nicked. What for the crime of singing our hearts out even when we 3-0 down, you can tell Ipswich don't sing maybe they wasn't used to it.

You are correct, the vocal support yesterday was excellent - from the group of lads you are so keen to criticise. Most of the support was, contrary to what you say, directed at backing our team - Red Army, Red Flag Flying High, Greatest Team the World has Ever Seen, We are the City Boys, Drink up Thee Cider, Basso, Johnson Wonderland, Marvin Elliott, City Till I Die, etc etc were the predominant songs, with just the odd "Small Team in Norwich" and "Your support is ###### Shit" (which it was) thrown in now and again as banter at the Ipswich fans.

Try joining in - you might even enjoy it.

In the NS lower we heard none of those chants, thought policing was OTT (have you a reputation). It's a shame they will never move the away fans next to the North Stand so the two sets of fans can hear each other.

Wondered why fans were thrown out.

Oh and join Stand Up Sit Down Campaign to make a difference.

• Admin

And then the usual attempts at sitting down people, at the back of the stand, who would rather stand up. For our "own safety", of course. Well f*** off, we'll take the risk, thankyou.

Small point, the bottle didn't go on the pitch, it went on the Ipswich fans below. That said it was clearly done in a moment of frustration at City than in an attempt to injure an opposition fan. However, once a steward has decided you are going there's no way you will be changing their mind and once the guy took a swing for one of them (stupidly coming for him from 2 or 3 rows in front?!) all it was going to achieve was changing an ejection into an arrest.

Also, one of the yellow jacketed stewards in the stand to our left joined in with the antagonistic gestures after the 5th or 6th goals. Surely that can't be right?

The bottle thrower was right in front of me and left the steward with no choice.

He threw a bottle (admittedly in frustration) and it hit someone in the seating beneath us. The steward in question was actually a decent bloke and spoke to the lad calmly. I could hear him saying, "I know, mate, but I'm afraid you've got to leave". The lad repeatedly refused to budge and eventually had a swing at the steward.

It was at that point that they grabbed him and dragged him over the row in front, unfortunately causing a bit of upset to a woman in that row, as I think she was hit by the lad's leg.

The lad threw a bottle, the steward had no choice but to eject him and if the lad had gone quietly, that would have been that. It was only when he took a swing that the incident escalated.

As I posted in another thread...

Despite a notice warning that fans who persistently stand will be ejected, Ipswich fans in the North Stand behind the goal stood for all of the 2nd half. I spoke to a Steward who said the fans were determined to stand, so the Stewards have stopped trying to make them sit down, after all it's the Home End and it's behind the goal Ipswich were attacking, what did I expect . I explained how Bristol Council have threatened to remove City's Safety Certificate if we stand to which he said "ITFC own the stadium, but Ipswich Council own the actual land. If the Safety Certificate was removed Ipswich Council would be the ones in trouble with the FA".

Some will state standing is dangerous! There is no factual evidence provided by the FA or Football licensing authority to back any claims up.

As part of Fire Awareness Training at work we were shown the Bradford City fire with the clock running. Three minutes from a fire being noticed to the stand being completely gutted. Those fans STOOD on the terraces were able to rapidly move away from the heat & smoke without the movement cramping trip hazard that seats are.

If you have been asked politely to sit down and told that you would be thrown out if you didn't, and you still insist on standing, who is the moron?

The steward is because he is attempting to enforce an unfair rule which a significant number of football supporters do not wish to have put on to them. I don't want to over-dramatise it, but for example the suffragettes pursued a policy of law breaking, as did black people in America. Sometimes the only way for unjust laws and rules to be changed is for people to break them. Obviously standing at football does not compare to what women and black people had to endure, before you come back at me along those lines, which I have just a feeling you might.

So when you go to work tomorrow (assuming you go to work) and do your job as you have been employed to do, are you also a moron?

Please accept the fact that the vast majority of fans are happy to sit in the seat that they have paid for.

I have no problem with people wishing to stand, and feel that there is a strong case for having standing areas at grounds.

However, whilst a minority, who disagree with having to sit, feel that it is perfectly acceptable to disregard those sitting behind them, then I feel perfectly within my rights to complain.

I'm sorry that when I bought my ticket, I was selfish in that I did not request a seat at the front so that I wouldn't infringe those who wanted to stand.

Thats ok, maybe you'll know for next time.

Just as you asked for a ticket in the back row? I don't think so. Just sit anywhere, and ignore another request eh?

The group of lads who I was keen to criticise were those that spent more time gesturing to, chanting abuse at the home fans, than they did actually watching the game. Their response after each goal was to immediately turn to the home fans yelling "**** off!

So that accounts for about 3 minutes of frustration during the game. The other 87 minutes they did indeed "sing their hearts out for the lads" (another song sung, when we were 6 down).

The group of lads that I actually criticised (not who you are trying to allege I cirticised) spent more time gesturing and chanting abuse to home fans than they did actually wating the match. They did not spend the other 87 minutes "singing their heart out for the lads" as (if you read again what I have posted) they left with more than 25 minutes remaining.

Such great supporters of the team that they then left at least 25 minutes before the end.

Incorrect. You are talking about a small group of lads to my left who departed, they werent even among the "standers" to whom we are referring to here.

Please don't insult me by telling me which group of lads I am talking about. I am talking about a group of lads who were sat in front of me.

You obviously didn't hear the numerous chants of "The Ipswich family", "6-0 and you still don't sing", "Shall we sing a song for you?"

Hear them? I sang them. I'd forgotten those. Do you find them offensive? Back in the bad old days, it was more like, "Your going to get your ###### heads kicked in" - now thats offensive.

No I don't find them offensive. I just find it difficult to understand why people feel the need to spend more time addressing opposition fans than actually watching the game and supporting their own team.

I do join in every game.

Invariably I'm hoarse for a day or two after.

But I don't feel the need to have to stand in front of elderly people or young children, or spend most of the game goading the opposition fans in order to sing my heart out.

You exaggerate. I repeat, the "standers" stand at the back so as not to cause inconvenience to other people.

Many standers do stand in the back row. Great, no problem to me.

Others stand in front of elderly people and children with total disregard. That's when I object.

Do you have some sort of agenda?

No I have no agenda.

I just find it unbelievable that it's always someone else's fault. Stewards, police, away fans. Never actually those who ruin it for the vast majority.

The bottle thrower was right in front of me and left the steward with no choice.

He threw a bottle (admittedly in frustration) and it hit someone in the seating beneath us. The steward in question was actually a decent bloke and spoke to the lad calmly. I could hear him saying, "I know, mate, but I'm afraid you've got to leave". The lad repeatedly refused to budge and eventually had a swing at the steward.

It was at that point that they grabbed him and dragged him over the row in front, unfortunately causing a bit of upset to a woman in that row, as I think she was hit by the lad's leg.

The lad threw a bottle, the steward had no choice but to eject him and if the lad had gone quietly, that would have been that. It was only when he took a swing that the incident escalated.

Why shouldn't he have thrown a bottle?

Obviously the steward was a moron.

Surely it was the womans fault for sitting in the row in front of him!

As part of Fire Awareness Training at work we were shown the Bradford City fire with the clock running. Three minutes from a fire being noticed to the stand being completely gutted. Those fans STOOD on the terraces were able to rapidly move away from the heat & smoke without the movement cramping trip hazard that seats are.

I do a lot of work with the health and safety executive due to the nature of my job.

The more i look into the area of risk in standing v seating the more convinced i become there is no safety reason what so ever to have seated areas in every stadium and that seasting is often more dangerous. There are inherent dangers in seated areas which are not present in terraces.

Throwing a bottle (even if it was plastic and not glass) "out of frustration" onto people sat below you is just indefensible. I'm amazed that any City fan can come on here and support the fan who threw it, whilst calling the stewards "morons".

The main problem with seating is you're unable to move around so you're stuck with the type of supporter you would not neccessarilly want to be and have to conduct yourself accordingly thus impacting adversly on your matchday experiance. Many who would have enjoyed more of a sing-song yesterday were flung in amongst those that do not wish too. Frustrating ain't the word.

Yesterday they were overkill in the fact they were nipping everything in the bud. One chap stood up and started balling in frustration and was immediately politely instructed to sit down and be quiet, which he duly did. wtf's that all about? ''THIS IS A ##### FOOTBALL STADIUM!!!'' I was thinking. I don't think I've ever seen such a high steward to supported ratio.

The theatresque experiance is what the authoreties wanted and it's what they're getting.

Long live the East End. err......

• SC&T Board Members

I'll not add here to the comments on safe standing - I've had my say on this in the past and am very much in favour of the introduction of properly designed areas for standing.

Re the stewards and police, I have to agree with the others in this thread who have supported the approach taken by the officials at Portman Road. Where I was sat to the extreme left of our section, I saw 3 fans quietly spoken to but not ejected (2 in our area, 1 down to the left in the Ipswich section) and 1 person thrown out (from the Ipswich section).

From what I could see / hear in all four cases the action of the police / stewards were wholly appropriate. They were reacting in each case either to persistent - and I mean persistent - use of extremely foul and abusive language or of obscene gestures designed to provoke opposing fans. None of these actions would go unpunished on the high street and should not go unpunished in a football stadium. In every case the offender was given a verbal warning, not shouted from a distance but quietly in the offender's ear. The Ipswich fan that got thrown out continued to gesticulate towards the City section despite this warning.

All in all, the atmosphere produced by this form of stewarding / policing was in marked contrast to that generated by the OTT approach of WM Midlands police at Wolves and I, for one, would applaud the way that they kept a quiet eye on both sets of fans and stepped in only to warn those individuals that overstepped the mark. Unlike at Wolves, I felt they were treating the fans as human beings and not pre-judging us all as thugs.

It was also niced to be served my half-time coffee by a chap in a collar and tie, who was very polite and even called me 'Sir'!

Ultimately, as the thugs that associated themselves with us at Wolves clearly couldn't be bothered to make the 4-hour trip to Ipswich and because Ipswich themselves don't have the sort of following that Wolves do, the entire atmosphere in and around the stadium was much more friendly and it was good to see fans of both sides sporting their colours outside the ground and mingling with none of the sense of fear and intimidation in the air that there was in Wolverhampton.

Dragging a little wippet like that across three rows of innocent fans isn't an act of a decent bloke IMO. Its not like the lad had anywhere to run is it?

The stewards were there to confront our supporters from the off, maybe they should have taken more of a back seat role?

Dragging a little wippet like that across three rows of innocent fans isn't an act of a decent bloke IMO. Its not like the lad had anywhere to run is it?

The stewards were there to confront our supporters from the off, maybe they should have taken more of a back seat role?

It was one row of seats. The lad was in the second row.

I did feel that they should have asked everyone to step aside while he was apprehended, but as soon as the lad took a swing, they acted quickly to get him under control. So perhaps people's anger should be aimed at him for chucking a bottle and throwing a punch?

I wasn't confronted by any stewards and I think those removed from the back were ejected by the police, with the stewards merely acting as a presence.

I can only speak from my own expereince though. If you were treated differently, then fair enough.

The stewards and police were a joke yesterday, i was told to leave when i went to have a piss with 15mins to go. One steward trying to get people to sit down got in a piss and said "right thats it" ran off to a supervisor, came back 5 mins later saying "stand if you like they don't care". Imo as each goal went in the police were starting to panic and started ejecting more and more fans. 400 mile round trip, watch your team get dicked and treated like a criminal for singing. Only at football.

Small point, the bottle didn't go on the pitch, it went on the Ipswich fans below. That said it was clearly done in a moment of frustration at City than in an attempt to injure an opposition fan. However, once a steward has decided you are going there's no way you will be changing their mind and once the guy took a swing for one of them (stupidly coming for him from 2 or 3 rows in front?!) all it was going to achieve was changing an ejection into an arrest.

Also, one of the yellow jacketed stewards in the stand to our left joined in with the antagonistic gestures after the 5th or 6th goals. Surely that can't be right?

No doubt about it the bottle throwing was foolish and slightly dangerous. However for me the actions of the stewards was the more irresponsible. It all happened about three rows in front of where I was sitting. The stewards had no choice but to eject the lad. The responsible thing to do was for a single steward to have a quiet word with him and ask him to leave or at least walk him to an exit where the police could deal with him. What actually happened was that SIX stewards came wading in.

The lad was three rows from the front of the stand. One steward reached over the two rows in front of him, grabbed his arm and dragged him over the top of innocent supporters in front of him. How those around him restrained themselves from reacting is beyond me.

Strangely when a fan slightly to the right of where this lad was threw the ball back straight onto the head of a fan below there was no Orange Jacket Rapid Response Unit dispatched to deal with him.

What was an isolated incident could have resulted in a minor riot, maybe that is what the stewards were looking for? I understand from Ipswich fans that these meat-heads also act as bouncers in the clubs and bars of Ipswich and think that they run the town. What a sad life to lead.

Archived