IGNORED

Concrete Bowl Or Traditional Stadium

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

If you could choose the design for a new ground, what would it be?

My personal preference would be a modern new build of a traditional style ground, I feel that Molineux retains great character, whilst housing modern facilities etc. I find the concrete bowl modern 'identikit' stadia rather characterless, I appreciate that filling in the corners increases capacity, but with a new build, the required capacity could be planned into a traditional design.

So, are you a traditionalist or a concrete bowl fan.........

If you could choose the design for a new ground, what would it be?

My personal preference would be a modern new build of a traditional style ground, I feel that Molineux retains great character, whilst housing modern facilities etc. I find the concrete bowl modern 'identikit' stadia rather characterless, I appreciate that filling in the corners increases capacity, but with a new build, the required capacity could be planned into a traditional design.

So, are you a traditionalist or a concrete bowl fan.........

Arsenal and Liverpool seem to have built/building some pretty good bowls, not to mention the ''lifeless'' Nou Camp!!!!

As long as you have a singing block then can always get an atmosphere......

Arsenal and Liverpool seem to have built/building some pretty good bowls, not to mention the ''lifeless'' Nou Camp!!!!

As long as you have a singing block then can always get an atmosphere......

New Anfield will buck design trends as the Kop is a single tier structure unlike any other in a ground in the Uk. Certainly not a bowl in the sense of the Riverside, Madjeski, Stadium of light, Pride Park, St Marys...........

New Anfield will buck design trends as the Kop is a single tier structure unlike any other in a ground in the Uk. Certainly not a bowl in the sense of the Riverside, Madjeski, Stadium of light, Pride Park, St Marys...........

Have you seen the plans for Evertons new traditional build new stadium? It looks awful, utterly awful.

Would be amazing if we did build a new stadium, maxing seating would be ideal with us bidding for a World Cup in 2018....

Not been there myself but coventry have a new ground, but I've been told its a great for atmosphere, so i'd go for something like that?

Oh and the pitch should'nt be more than 5 yards away from the front row....

The atmosphere wasnt the best in either games we played them this year. Not from the home fans anyway.

I would say the Madjeski still has a touch of class. Certainly better than some of the real bland ones like Soton, Doncaster etc.

How about one like Huddlesfield - now that was ground breaking at the time. How about getting acanthus ferguson mann to design it. Would be intresting to see if they could a) tackle a stadium and b) what George F would add to give it personality. You could bet if they were commissioned it'd be nothing but ordinary :)

* and no, this isn't a hint at what I might know.. it is jst a thought!

Have you seen the plans for Evertons new traditional build new stadium? It looks awful, utterly awful.

Would be amazing if we did build a new stadium, maxing seating would be ideal with us bidding for a World Cup in 2018....

Yet to see Evertons design.

The problem with maximsing seating is originality is lost as the architects brief will be limited to a certain shape e.g Bowl as there are no corners with uniform stands to fill in.

Anfield will have stands which are individual which is why the clubs stance should be applauded.

I would say the Madjeski still has a touch of class. Certainly better than some of the real bland ones like Soton, Doncaster etc.

How about one like Huddlesfield - now that was ground breaking at the time. How about getting acanthus ferguson mann to design it. Would be intresting to see if they could a) tackle a stadium and b) what George F would add to give it personality. You could bet if they were commissioned it'd be nothing but ordinary :)

* and no, this isn't a hint at what I might know.. it is jst a thought!

I quite like Huddlersfield but it is because the stands are a original design and it is not a symmetrical bowl shape like the grounds you mention.

The keepoats atmosphere saves it a little due to its compactr small size same as the Madjeski although the Madjeski may be enlarged which will alter the structure of the roof which may change this dramatically.

I would prefer to keep a stadium feel to any new ground. It seems that these new stadiums that are being constructed now come out of an Airfix box. Very few have managed to give the ground any identity of its own. The only difference is the seat colour!!

The Ricoh Arena is one of the grounds that has that little something different. By having the amount of additional facilities that they have and some of them overlooking the pitch you can instantly tell the ground apart by the grey wall of the hotel and executive boxes (not necessarily what i would want as a feature but a feature none the less!).

As it is designed as an Arena for all types of events it has been built with acoustics in mind. The noise the 3,000 of us made up there this season shows that the design works from that point of view, I would, however, want the stands to be closer to the pitch, over the two trips i have made up there over the last two seasons i have felt very seperated from the play due the seating being set so far away from the pitch.

I would prefer to keep a stadium feel to any new ground. It seems that these new stadiums that are being constructed now come out of an Airfix box. Very few have managed to give the ground any identity of its own. The only difference is the seat colour!!

The Ricoh Arena is one of the grounds that has that little something different. By having the amount of additional facilities that they have and some of them overlooking the pitch you can instantly tell the ground apart by the grey wall of the hotel and executive boxes (not necessarily what i would want as a feature but a feature none the less!).

As it is designed as an Arena for all types of events it has been built with acoustics in mind. The noise the 3,000 of us made up there this season shows that the design works from that point of view, I would, however, want the stands to be closer to the pitch, over the two trips i have made up there over the last two seasons i have felt very seperated from the play due the seating being set so far away from the pitch.

The Ricoh was not built for football and the acoustics are in line with concert venues not football stadiums. The design is flawed as the ground is too cavernous for small support.

The hotel/exhibition centre is a feature but as of yet i have yet to hear one sing!

The seating has to be incorporated into the design in that manner to include the facilities. The design would not allow bringing stands forward.

All the new grounds look the same, i hate Coventry's ground in particular- soulless, lifeless, dull, boring and unoriginal. I would far rather develop the Gate, it has history, atmosphere (albeit rarely) and it can be intimidating too. New stadia are b***ocks, if we leave the Gate, i ain't going to be happy.

Evertons design is more traditional but not exactly different;

http://www.evertonfc.com/club/stadium-gallery.html

At least it isn't a bog standard souless bowl.

Looks splendid outside and "the peoples club" adds a lot of character inside it appears too familiar but at least it really isn't a bog standard souless bowl. The corners could at a later date become some sort of focal points to add interest e.g Sampadoria

Two tiered stands behind a goal! Interesting as Liverpools new kop will be a vast one tier stand.

• SC&T Board Members
Nor me so I had a quick google:

http://stadium.evertonfc.com/stadium-visuals.php

Maybe its just me, but that looks 'ok'

Yeah, that's not bad.

Personally, my favourite new build of recent years that I've been to is Cologne's ground:

Rhein Energie Stadion

Four distinct stands and 'feature' vertical floodlight towers.

Coventry's Ricoh seems to be a bit of a 'Marmite' stadium, either you love it or hate it! I absolutely loved it! Easy to get to, easy to get in, great facilities, plenty of leg room and exits, brilliant view...

I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do, I came away feeling quite jealous. It is ideal for other uses, concerts, conferences etc Until I went there earlier this season I would have said a definate no to building new. i was just sorry that I missed the FA cup replay last year, a night match, as i bet it looks even more fantastic then.

The only think I would have against a move is that it might take a while for people to 'bed in', find an area where they like to sit and make it their own. At Coventry the fans were all spread around, making it look and sound very empty. Good job we had 3000 ciderheads showing 'em how support is done!!!

By the way I really hated what Wolves have done, developed 'on the cheap', it looked and felt bloody awful and I have never had such poor legroom at a ground, and I'm not tall!

The Ricoh was not built for football and the acoustics are in line with concert venues not football stadiums. The design is flawed as the ground is too cavernous for small support.

The hotel/exhibition centre is a feature but as of yet i have yet to hear one sing!

The seating has to be incorporated into the design in that manner to include the facilities. The design would not allow bringing stands forward.

I'm sorry from reading the start of the thread i thought we were actually trying to talk about the stadia design as a whole not just signing but character as well. Istated that it was built as an arena and not as a football stadium. I take your point fully about the seats being incorporated to allow for facilities.

Now you mention it i have never heard a hotel/exhibition centre sing either, must keep my ears open in future!! If you read my post you will see that i wrote about it being a feature although not one that i would incorporate.

Yours

Cider Visor

Coventry's Ricoh seems to be a bit of a 'Marmite' stadium, either you love it or hate it! I absolutely loved it! Easy to get to, easy to get in, great facilities, plenty of leg room and exits, brilliant view...

I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do, I came away feeling quite jealous. It is ideal for other uses, concerts, conferences etc Until I went there earlier this season I would have said a definate no to building new. i was just sorry that I missed the FA cup replay last year, a night match, as i bet it looks even more fantastic then.

The only think I would have against a move is that it might take a while for people to 'bed in', find an area where they like to sit and make it their own. At Coventry the fans were all spread around, making it look and sound very empty. Good job we had 3000 ciderheads showing 'em how support is done!!!

By the way I really hated what Wolves have done, developed 'on the cheap', it looked and felt bloody awful and I have never had such poor legroom at a ground, and I'm not tall!

Rather have Molineux anyday as the fans can make a real noise in the Southbank even when crowds drop. The Ricoh holds 32000 and with gates sometimes down to 14000 it is going to feel dormant. In short the Ricoh is not a football stadium and was not built for this purpose and so it won't ever truly become one.

If a ground is not built with an area where it is easier to make noise due to its design the stadium suffers for it and this bedding in may never happen.

Liverpool will build a new Kop as part of thestadiums function first and foremost.

• Admin

Wolves would probably refute the 'on the cheap' comment. I've been to a couple of company presentations at Molineux (as well as games) and they gave the football fans amongst the group, the tour round. The behind the scenes facilities are good and I just like the feel of the place, it retains soul and character. I'd prefer to see one of the end stands segregated, rather than the present system of home fans in the tier above the away fans.

It would be perfectly possible to design and build a traditional style stadium, without compromising on leg room, views, easy access (thus making it easier for the Dolman early leavers to get out, without stopping others from seeing the last 10 minutes of the game) and still retain some individuality.

I'm sorry from reading the start of the thread i thought we were actually trying to talk about the stadia design as a whole not just signing but character as well. Istated that it was built as an arena and not as a football stadium. I take your point fully about the seats being incorporated to allow for facilities.

Now you mention it i have never heard a hotel/exhibition centre sing either, must keep my ears open in future!! If you read my post you will see that i wrote about it being a feature although not one that i would incorporate.

Yours

Cider Visor

But acoustics/atmsophere can be a part of new stadium/stand design and i did agree that the hotel was a feature.

Guest mesa boogie

I was pretty gutted when Everton announced they were planning to leave Goodison, it's by far the most interesting ground I've been to a real mix and match cracking ground.

I've always liked the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

I know it means the corners aren't filled with seats, but it's far better than having open corners and we could replicate the suspension bridge over the stands behind the goals.

e0642c866102e33070a34c97a634add237.jpg

800px-Genova-Stadio_Luigi_Ferraris-DSCF8

Bit like what Leyton Orient are trying to do with the Matchstick stadium then.....

The reason older grounds have "character" is because the stands were built years - sometimes decades - apart by different people/companies. This is obviously not going to happen with a new ground, meaning every new one will be accused of lack of character. The reason most new grounds are all the same (St Mary's, Reading, Derby etc) is because they are far cheaper than building something like the Reebok.

Bit like what Leyton Orient are trying to do with the Matchstick stadium then.....

The reason older grounds have "character" is because the stands were built years - sometimes decades - apart by different people/companies. This is obviously not going to happen with a new ground, meaning every new one will be accused of lack of character. The reason most new grounds are all the same (St Mary's, Reading, Derby etc) is because they are far cheaper than building something like the Reebok.

The Reebok was not expensive compared to the stadiums you have mentioned.

Cost does interfere with aesthetics but character can be built into a stadium by giving an architect the opportunity to play with tiers/ curved plan/roof structure, width of gangways, exits........

There now seems to be a obsession with building bowls which are limited by form having to come secondary to function.

As soon as a club states 28,000 seats in a bowl, boxes along the sides, press box, corporate enterainment please the opportuniities for creative design are limited.

Outsides of stadiums however often do not reflect the above and many are unique despite being new stadiums.

Archived