IGNORED

Our Weak Strikeforce/wingers/full Backs And Lee Johnson

Redhyde

I mean we only seem to have 4 definitely good players in Fontaine, Carey, Basso and Elliot while opinion's even divided on McIndoe judging by the forum.

So explain how precisely are we 4th if the majority of our team aren't good enough?

I mean we only seem to have 4 definitely good players in Fontaine, Carey, Basso and Elliot while opinion's even divided on McIndoe judging by the forum.

So explain how precisely are we 4th if the majority of our team aren't good enough?

what a load of bo11ocks.

If only those 4 were playing well then we would be bottom 3. The whole squad is playing well, apart from the odd slip up, but everyone has them!

Christ, 2 defeats (! unlucky defeat) and people are resigned to the fact we are the worse team in the league! :disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

what a load of bo11ocks.

That's the point i was making... Now reassess my post.

If only those 4 were playing well then we would be bottom 3. The whole squad is playing well, apart from the odd slip up, but everyone has them!

Christ, 2 defeats (! unlucky defeat) and people are resigned to the fact we are the worse team in the league! :disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

what a load of bo11ocks.

:noexpression:

there's always one........and it's usually Giles!

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit.

The only players I've seen a significant amount of doubt about on this forum thus far are:

Lee Johnson isn't playing that well in the last few games, opinions seem split on whether he is ok at this level when playing well.

Bradley Orr and Jamie McAllister have not yet convinced that they can cope with Championship wingers week in week out.

Lee Trundle hasn't yet justified his price tag (but then his price tag was always too high anyway), and again opinion seems split on whether he is good enough or whether it's how we're playing.

Every player has the odd critic but in the main people seem very happy. Also, you're ignoring the obvious fact that there is always a disproportionate amount of discussion about anything critical because it's controversial. A post saying "Carey is great" is going to just get half a dozen agreements and not really be that interesting.

We're fourth because our team are good enough to compete and started well, that doesn't mean we can't improve.

Do you want me to answer your question or is this another one of your little ego-appatizing threads to try to demonstrate how smart you are in comparison to the invisible enemy that is the collective opinion of this forum?

We are currently fourth because we have won 7, drawn 6 and lost 3 of our 16 games. 3 Clubs have bettered this record and 20 Clubs have not.

People whos existance is based upon their perception of self in comparison to others really do need to sort themselves out, imo. No doubt this will fall on deaf ears.

The only players I've seen a significant amount of doubt about on this forum thus far are:

Lee Johnson isn't playing that well in the last few games, opinions seem split on whether he is ok at this level when playing well.

Bradley Orr and Jamie McAllister have not yet convinced that they can cope with Championship wingers week in week out.

Lee Trundle hasn't yet justified his price tag (but then his price tag was always too high anyway), and again opinion seems split on whether he is good enough or whether it's how we're playing.

Every player has the odd critic but in the main people seem very happy. Also, you're ignoring the obvious fact that there is always a disproportionate amount of discussion about anything critical because it's controversial. A post saying "Carey is great" is going to just get half a dozen agreements and not really be that interesting.

We're fourth because our team are good enough to compete and started well, that doesn't mean we can't improve.

I don't feel it's an exaggeration in terms of the forum. As you say and i agree completely controversy and criticism will always be more prevalent on the forum which is exactly why I've chosen to make the point here and not to the majority of the fanbase.

And of course we can improve, I have my own doubts about lots of the players, but that's currently overided by the fact that Gary Johnson keeps picking them and we keep performing and we're fourth.

I simply make my point to the merchants of doom and those who agree that over half the team aren't good enough. However many there are of said types.

I cannot think of any poster who fits that description to be honest which is why I think you're exaggerating.

I've read long threads criticising each of the players positions i've mentioned within the last couple of days. I'm just basing it on if you take the collective wisdom of the forum then we'd have 6 players who aren't good enough.

Do you want me to answer your question or is this another one of your little ego-appatizing threads to try to demonstrate how smart you are in comparison to the invisible enemy that is the collective opinion of this forum?

People whos existance is based upon their perception of self in comparison to others really do need to sort themselves out, imo. No doubt this will fall on deafears.

Interesting amateur psychology. It's funny on a post where you criticise my "ego-appatizing" and state I "try to demonstrate how smart you are in comparison to the invisible enemy that is the collective opinion of this forum" you seek to intellectualise my post thus doing precisely what you've accused me of. How ironic.

I'll answer it though since you seem keen to know. (And what a boost that is to my little ego :D)

I actually don't judge myself comparatively. My personal comparison is between how I live up to my perceptions of humanity. How I myself live to the values I believe in. Do I practice what i preach? I only beat myself up for not living up to my high expectation of what i can achieve rather than anyone else. Because they have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses to me so it's a nonsense for comparisons.

Where do my perceptions of what i can achieve come from? From my self worth of course which due to the high number of good kind people in my life at the minute si quite high. It'd be a lie to say I don't look around at people who are either smarter, have better ideas, achieve more and think to myself what can i do to get to where they are or even surpass them. I'd call it ambition and motivation, you'd no doubt seek to criticise that as a negative. I'd agree if that was the only way i judged myself. But i don't. I judge my worth on how I react to people who need help or compassion, and how they react when the roles are reversed. And I know you'll be happy for me as a compassionate person, i mainly judge myself on if i'm happy and if my friends are. If i am then that's all i truly want, if i'm not, i try to have the motivation to change. I'm happy at the minute and so are the people I care about in my life :D

I'd like to think i know why i think the way i think. i know my flaws (which i try to work on) and I know my positive attributes too (which i try to work on) in a constant self improvement campaign. As nibor says there's always room for improvement.

It's weird to compare yourself to people you don't know. So even if your analysis was correct, this would be the completely wrong place to go as it's pretty anonymous. There is no logic in lauding successes and judging yourself superior to people who don't care about you as much as you don't care about them. Although, it's amusing to me at least that people can get so worked up about something so utterly trivial as a football argument where I'll argue my point but as it's only opinion based i'll happily walk away if proven wrong factually or the other turns nasty. I generally just make points about players, tactics and formations. I do enjoy debate about the hypothetical. Also, I've never made a point i don't believe in.

So now it's my turn. Why do you feel the need to criticise your perception of my reality? What makes you fit to judge? Do you judge yourself superior as it implies that that perception isn't desirable? Doesn't it highlight your own insecurities that you even feel the need to say so?

And if you truly need to judge me indepth, don't do it by a persona i have and play up to on an internet forum, I'll buy you a beer the next time i'm down in Briz.

I think this sums it up nicely. I only really have doubts about LJ, BO and JM long term.

I would also add I think our squad is weak and luckily we haven't had to rely on it too much yet.

I think this sums it up nicely. I only really have doubts about LJ, BO and JM long term.

I would also add I think our squad is weak and luckily we haven't had to rely on it too much yet.

I think that the squad strength is something that we are going to have to put up with this season. I'm sure that SL said something about having doubled our wage bill now but to compete long term we would have to double it again. In my eyes we currently have 10 or so squad players that a top championship club would want for there squad.

However what we lack in that department we are more than making up for it in desire and team spirit.

I think it's fair to say that our team is significantly greater than the sum of its parts. In the hands of a lesser manager than Gary Johnson they would still be in league one.

They're not bad players but if you compare them like-for-like with other players in the division they're unlikely to come off better individually.

Commitment allied to attacking play.

I think that the squad strength is something that we are going to have to put up with this season. I'm sure that SL said something about having doubled our wage bill now but to compete long term we would have to double it again. In my eyes we currently have 10 or so squad players that a top championship club would want for there squad.

However what we lack in that department we are more than making up for it in desire and team spirit.

I think it's fair to say that our team is significantly greater than the sum of its parts. In the hands of a lesser manager than Gary Johnson they would still be in league one.

They're not bad players but if you compare them like-for-like with other players in the division they're unlikely to come off better individually.

Up until now i'd always believed that the manager wasn't a major component of success. Their signings were, and the quality of them generally determined the success. GJ has completely changed my perception of management.

How exactly are we 4th? Well we may as well debate how the hell we got promoted last season too as we weren't exactly on fire then either!!! :D

RedM, the answer to both questions is the same - Gary Johnson.

It's about time we all accepted that he is a better manager of this club than any of us fans would ever be. He has proven his ability to put together a team that performs as a team and where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts ( I think that's the right expression).

Bit of an exaggeration. the point is that we are currently in fourth place and in reality are unlikely to stay there over the whole season. At the same time I have seen enough football this season to think that we will not have to worry about the other end of the table either. But if we do want to watch a team that can not only get to fourth, but stay there all season, then we will need to strengthen our squad. There is nothing wrong in talking about it on here in my opinion.

The problem I think we have is that there are about sixteen players in our 32 man squad who are genuinely good enough for the Championship (and I include Orr, McAllister and Johnson in that) but the other half of the squad is nowhere near good enough, which is backed up by some pretty average reserve team performances and results this season. But to stay at the top of the table we need a core of players who are "very good" at this level supplemented by the rest who are "good enough". At the moment I don't think we are there yet.

Interesting amateur psychology. It's funny on a post where you criticise my "ego-appatizing" and state I "try to demonstrate how smart you are in comparison to the invisible enemy that is the collective opinion of this forum" you seek to intellectualise my post thus doing precisely what you've accused me of. How ironic.

It wasn't about me, it was talking on your level. You're the one intellectualising a FOOTBALL forum.....

I've read long threads criticising each of the players positions i've mentioned within the last couple of days. I'm just basing it on if you take the collective wisdom of the forum then we'd have 6 players who aren't good enough.

I'll answer it though since you seem keen to know. (And what a boost that is to my little ego :D)

I actually don't judge myself comparatively. My personal comparison is between how I live up to my perceptions of humanity. How I myself live to the values I believe in. Do I practice what i preach? I only beat myself up for not living up to my high expectation of what i can achieve rather than anyone else. Because they have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses to me so it's a nonsense for comparisons.

Where do my perceptions of what i can achieve come from? I don't really care about what I can achieve, only what I do achieve From my self worth of course which due to the high number of good kind people in my life at the minute si quite high. It'd be a lie to say I don't look around at people who are either smarter, have better ideas, achieve more and think to myself what can i do to get to where they are or even surpass them. I'd call it ambition and motivation, you'd no doubt seek to criticise that as a negative. Not at all, motive is what I look at I'd agree if that was the only way i judged myself. But i don't. I judge my worth on how I react to people who need help or compassion, and how they react when the roles are reversed. And I know you'll be happy for me as a compassionate person, i mainly judge myself on if i'm happy and if my friends are. If i am then that's all i truly want, if i'm not, i try to have the motivation to change. I'm happy at the minute and so are the people I care about in my life :D

I'd like to think i know why i think the way i think. i know my flaws (which i try to work on) and I know my positive attributes too (which i try to work on) in a constant self improvement campaign. As nibor says there's always room for improvement.

It's weird to compare yourself to people you don't know. So even if your analysis was correct, this would be the completely wrong place to go as it's pretty anonymous. There is no logic in lauding successes and judging yourself superior to people who don't care about you as much as you don't care about them. Although, it's amusing to me at least that people can get so worked up about something so utterly trivial as a football argument where I'll argue my point but as it's only opinion based i'll happily walk away if proven wrong factually or the other turns nasty. I generally just make points about players, tactics and formations. I do enjoy debate about the hypothetical. Also, I've never made a point i don't believe in.

I can relate to much of what you say.

Why do you feel the need to criticise your perception of my reality?

Because my perception of your reality is that you consider yourself in a position to generalise and intellectualise a FOOTBALL forum that is commonly ridden in emotionally charged opinion and you have adopted a meglomaniatical stance in making this point.

makes you fit to judge?

I don't judge people, I do observe their actions though.

Do you judge yourself superior as it implies that that perception isn't desirable?

No. The perception just is, you have to understand that value judgement is all but erradicated from my outlook.

Doesn't it highlight your own insecurities that you even feel the need to say so?

No, I just am.

And if you truly need to judge me indepth, don't do it by a persona i have and play up to on an internet forum, I'll buy you a beer the next time i'm down in Briz.

Your avator and below comment amuses me.

I'm sure we'd enjoy each others company, I used to spend a lot of time analysing and debating, I've done my time and have come to realise it is of little significance other than for enterainment and intellectual masturbation.

I don't need to go to that level but that kind of proves what i just posted which honestly i started before i saw this second post.

I'm sorry you're unhappy.

I'm perfectly happy, I have what I need and don't want what I haven't. I was merely responding to your point that the collective wisdom of this forum has it's shortfalls to such an extent that it is not worth my analysis - let alone to make an issue of it.

I'm now going outside to enjoy a cup of tea and appreciate my garden.

Dan,

Just realised that it looks like I plagiarised your post.

While it might prove that great minds think alike, it also proves that it's a good idea to read all the posts on a thread before banging out my own reply.

Dan,

Just realised that it looks like I plagiarised your post.

While it might prove that great minds think alike, it also proves that it's a good idea to read all the posts on a thread before banging out my own reply.

In that case I agree with both of you!

We definitely look strong as a unit and most of the individuals brought in have settled well. We are still very much finding our feet and playing some attractive football to boot. No, I didn't see Ipswich, but I doubt if we'll ship in 6 goals again this season. :fingerscrossed:

Hopefully, if GJ decides we need to strengthen, we will find it easier to attract players either on loan or permanently. It must be easier to sell the club, whilst we are in the top half of the table, than persuading them to take a gamble when we were newly promoted?

As you say he's the Boss and a bloody good one he is too! :clapping:

Totally agree that the team as a whole is better than the individuals. As for the criticisms, I think some people are looking at City as a decent Championship Club rather than strugglers, so expectations are high. In fairness, our strike-force is pretty average at this level, the wingers have been a bit in and out, and Lee Johnson has misplaced a lot of passes. You could add that Basso has fumbled a few shots, but the hard work and team ethic has meant that individual errors have not been too costly. I would be surprised if we finished in the top 4, but as my hope at the start was 21st, they are exceeding all expectations. Strengthening the team may be a problem, simply as the squad is too large.

It wasn't about me, it was talking on your level. You're the one intellectualising a FOOTBALL forum.....

What a strange argument.

It seems like a backhanded compliment to the rest of us people who post on an unitellectual level. We meet the required standards and are approved of but because it's a football forum we should all be slightly dim anyway! Maybe we should carry on talking about tits and how we really ###### hate the gas!

A lot of people post eloquently and intelligently and to pick up on one cos he has a flair for long words seems a bit weird.

Where do my perceptions of what i can achieve come from? From my self worth of course which due to the high number of good kind people in my life at the minute si quite high. It'd be a lie to say I don't look around at people who are either smarter, have better ideas, achieve more and think to myself what can i do to get to where they are or even surpass them. I'd call it ambition and motivation, you'd no doubt seek to criticise that as a negative. I'd agree if that was the only way i judged myself. But i don't. I judge my worth on how I react to people who need help or compassion, and how they react when the roles are reversed. And I know you'll be happy for me as a compassionate person, i mainly judge myself on if i'm happy and if my friends are. If i am then that's all i truly want, if i'm not, i try to have the motivation to change. I'm happy at the minute and so are the people I care about in my life :D

So now it's my turn. Why do you feel the need to criticise your perception of my reality? What makes you fit to judge? Do you judge yourself superior as it implies that that perception isn't desirable? Doesn't it highlight your own insecurities that you even feel the need to say so?

I can relate to much of what you say.

Because my perception of your reality is that you consider yourself in a position to generalise and intellectualise a FOOTBALL forum that is commonly ridden in emotionally charged opinion and you have adopted a meglomaniatical stance in making this point.

I don't judge people, I do observe their actions though.

No. The perception just is, you have to understand that value judgement is all but erradicated from my outlook.

No, I just am.

Your avator and below comment amuses me.

I'm sure we'd enjoy each others company, I used to spend a lot of time analysing and debating, I've done my time and have come to realise it is of little significance other than for enterainment and intellectual masturbation.

I'm perfectly happy, I have what I need and don't want what I haven't. I was merely responding to your point that the collective wisdom of this forum has it's shortfalls to such an extent that it is not worth my analysis - let alone to make an issue of it.

I'm now going outside to enjoy a cup of tea and appreciate my garden.

What a strange argument.

It seems like a backhanded compliment to the rest of us people who post on an unitellectual level. We meet the required standards and are approved of but because it's a football forum we should all be slightly dim anyway! Maybe we should carry on talking about tits and how we really ###### hate the gas!

A lot of people post eloquently and intelligently and to pick up on one cos he has a flair for long words seems a bit weird.

Am I in the wrong forum? :noexpression:

Totally agree that the team as a whole is better than the individuals. As for the criticisms, I think some people are looking at City as a decent Championship Club rather than strugglers, so expectations are high. In fairness, our strike-force is pretty average at this level, the wingers have been a bit in and out, and Lee Johnson has misplaced a lot of passes. You could add that Basso has fumbled a few shots, but the hard work and team ethic has meant that individual errors have not been too costly. I would be surprised if we finished in the top 4, but as my hope at the start was 21st, they are exceeding all expectations. Strengthening the team may be a problem, simply as the squad is too large.

Tell you what Chappers I think your spot on. Our hard work as a team has been tremendous, we have had a big share of luck as well. Norwich, Sheff Wed, Wolves, all could have been quite different if the opposition would have taken their chances. Elliott has been the main reason we have not been over run in midfield and has stood out as a star, along with Carey and Fonts.

The squad is large and there has to be the question asked whether the likes of Betsy, Russell, Jevo, Wilson, Showumni, Brooker, and Myrie-Williams will cut it at this level, week in and out, or when they will be given the chance to prove it. How long do you hold on to them without playing them?

I think we need another quality central midfielder, god forbid Marvin should get injured, but who would fill that role? I'd like to think Skusey could and that he's no doubt been learning from watching Elliott, but I have my doubts, especially in the air. Trundle is another concern and the lack of goals from our forwards. Ok when your getting results but the eye quickly turns to this fact when your not getting them.

Saying that I can't wait for the Leicester game so we can hopefully get back to winning ways.

How exactly are we 4th? Well we may as well debate how the hell we got promoted last season too as we weren't exactly on fire then either!!! :D

Same reason Em. For all the lack of quality players, we have a SPIRIT which has seen us get promoted, and thrive, thus far in the Championship. When we've needed to, most of them have dug in and pushed themselves to the limit. every time.

Is that spirit good enough to come back and sustain our position. We'll see next Saturday at the Gate. I for one am looking forward to seeing how we respond to the defeat.

What a strange argument.

I am accepting of whatever peoples style of posting is. What I was highlighting and objecting too was Redhyde holding his own court (combined with his avator and his fishing history) with the following post:

imo; instead of analysing the forum as a whole, it'd have been more respectful to have taken issue with the individuals making their points at the time if he felt the need too.

I personally couldn't give a toss what viewpoint individuals posting on this forum hold. I would add my tuppence worth but most of my opinions have already been stated in one post or another.

I am accepting of whatever peoples style of posting is. What I was highlighting and objecting too was Redhyde holding his own court (combined with his avator and his fishing history) with the following post:

You can see when i fish because i put a fishing icon. I genuinely happen to believe that Steve Brooker isn't great, that the clubs should merge for the better of our future, that we should should stick by GJ through thick and thin and the Scottish leagues aren't very good. I don't remember anything else controversial I've said. If you don't agree with me fine say so, but is it fishing to disagree with people?

The avatar i've had since I've joined, it's a nod to the fact i enjoy retro computer games. The comment has been there a week and it's a joke. It's playing up the accusations I've had on the forum from time to time. It used to read how i was Owen Hargreaves number one fan.

Reciting the words of Lennon coupled with his picture could be perceived as much more arrogant that a clearly jokey comment so it's weird to base any perception upon an avatar.

imo; instead of analysing the forum as a whole, it'd have been more respectful to have taken issue with the individuals making their points at the time if he felt the need too.

There's no lack of respect, i didn't even consider it. You're taking this to a level much higher than i even thought about. Simply making a point that if you took the perceived forum wisdom as a whole it didn't make sense and was quite amusing. There wasn't a topic on generalising the whole of the forum so i made one. Who precisely am i disrespecting?

I personally couldn't give a toss what viewpoint individuals posting on this forum hold. I would add my tuppence worth but most of my opinions have already been stated in one post or another.

You clearly do because you respond and contribute. It's an interesting standpoint to repeated claim that you don't care and aren't interested. It's one i don't understand for if I didn't care about something i wouldn't do it or take part. Why do you feel the need to state that you don't care? That to me shows an need to show that, from someone who claims to have reached self actualisation that strikes me odd.

Archived