IGNORED

Your Country - Or City?

Markman

The lack of national pride on this thread is simply embarrassing to read, and almost unbelievable, this is why England's future is going down the toilet, not enough people interested by the sound of it.

City first, but England a very close second - Born in Bristol, and Born in England, and proud of both.

I certainly agree with the it in bold text but not the following bit. I am very proud of City but while being proud to be English, our football team are an embarressment! I spent years (and alot of money) following England home and away (88-94) and have been let down so many times. Don't get me wrong, I had some great times watching England (Italy '90 was good) but the let downs outweigh them.

I remember going to Holland around 1993 when not 1 England player came to thank their fans, that did it for me!

Still proud to be English but certainly not proud of our football team!

As an England and City fan who was present in Munich, Sapporo, Rome for the games which really made me proud of my Country i will say England. The sheer exhileration of those games lasted for days and there have been many others which i would say has rarely been matched. Probably the last time i felt anything like i did in Munich was 94 at Anfield.

City are one of the best represented at Internationals abroad which i have often put down to how badly our club has performed which oddly is exactly the sentiments expressed through this thread about the national side.

I think you have to go to a tournament with fans who have given their jobs up and sometimes a bit more to understand it all. The camaraderie experienced at a month long tournament like Italia 90 or France 98 lives with you for ever and i would have not have missed it for anything. Within all of that is a feeling that could teach a lot of City fans something about fan unity.

As an England and City fan who was present in Munich, Sapporo, Rome for the games which really made me proud of my Country i will say England. The sheer exhileration of those games lasted for days and there have been many others which i would say has rarely been matched. Probably the last time i felt anything like i did in Munich was 94 at Anfield.

City are one of the best represented at Internationals abroad which i have often put down to how badly our club has performed which oddly is exactly the sentiments expressed through this thread about the national side.

I think you have to go to a tournament with fans who have given their jobs up and sometimes a bit more to understand it all. The camaraderie experienced at a month long tournament like Italia 90 or France 98 lives with you for ever and i would have not have missed it for anything. Within all of that is a feeling that could teach a lot of City fans something about fan unity.

I agree with a lot of what you say - I have been to 4 tournaments with England and sometimes it is great - but it still does not hurt as much when England lose than when City do - the crunch is would you rather England qualify (Israel winning at the moment) or City stay up - surely it would be City stay up if it came to it?

When at a City match and we score I go mental. The buzz I get when that ball hits the back of the net is amazing. However when at an England game and a goal is scored I just don't get the same feeling. Yes I'm happy we have scored but just not as happy as I am when City score.

So for me it's City every time.

I agree with a lot of what you say - I have been to 4 tournaments with England and sometimes it is great - but it still does not hurt as much when England lose than when City do - the crunch is would you rather England qualify (Israel winning at the moment) or City stay up - surely it would be City stay up if it came to it?

My support of City is quite pragamatic as the expectaions are so much lower so defeat is expected and is rarely bitter.

Little different with England as sometimes the stars are touched and greatness seems within grasp or is just a inch of Gascoignes boot.

City will avoid relegation but i would take a World cup win over anything before i am to old to take part in what would be the mother of all parties.

This is an interesting debate... Like many others I am proud to be ENGLISH and Bristolian. I have put English in capitals for a reason. I worked abroad for 9 years surrounded by Scots, Welsh and Irish, initially I thought I was British, but the dislike shown by people towards the English football team made me more patriotic towards the land of my birth. I will sing the anthem loudly (all be it out of tune!!!) and proudly wherever I am, to spite all the anti - English people I know who are booing us!!! Any situation, football, rugby, cricket they would take pops (verbally) at us!!, support anybody but us. I don't support Scotland, Wales or Ireland, but would like Ivan to do well as he plays for us. I am English, I also follow Azerbaijan the place of birth of my son and nationality of my wife... By the way didn't the Scots do well tonight!!!!!

As for the club v country question. Wouldn't want Ivan or Tamas to get injured the week that's for sure, they're ours .

:englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag:

Any situation, football, rugby, cricket they would take pops (verbally) at us!!, support anybody but us. I don't support Scotland, Wales or Ireland, but would like Ivan to do well as he plays for us. I am English, I

Northern Ireland fans almost to a man want England to do well and some travel abroad to watch England as well. Have met a few England/City fans a from Newport as well!!!!

The lack of national pride on this thread is simply embarrassing to read, and almost unbelievable, this is why England's future is going down the toilet, not enough people interested by the sound of it.

City first, but England a very close second - Born in Bristol, and Born in England, and proud of both.

And by supporting England, you do not necessarily have to follow the players, it is infact the name of our country on the line, and our reputation as a nation. Why would you turn your backs on your country?

Absolute turd!! As it said earlier just because you are born in a country should you automatically blindly support them (in sporting and non-sporting terms!)??????

The New Wembley is a prime example of how the real fans of our national team have been abandoned for profit (with the huge corporate sections) - it's no longer those of us that are the most passionate and dedicated fans but those with the biggest wallets that can support our national side. You say its embarrassing that there is no national pride, but if the FA deals fans such a sh*t hand for so long than can you really expect people to blindlessly follow the team?!

Can't help but feeling how sad it is to read the complete disinterest in the England team and the reasons for it.

Like many on here I struggle to feel the passion for England that I do for City. It should be a case that we love both the same but sadly the England players, management and FA have lost the respect of many of the english fans.

Big shame

Absolute turd!! As it said earlier just because you are born in a country should you automatically blindly support them (in sporting and non-sporting terms!)??????

The New Wembley is a prime example of how the real fans of our national team have been abandoned for profit (with the huge corporate sections) - it's no longer those of us that are the most passionate and dedicated fans but those with the biggest wallets that can support our national side. You say its embarrassing that there is no national pride, but if the FA deals fans such a sh*t hand for so long than can you really expect people to blindlessly follow the team?!

I would support England to do well in anything except basketball, ice hockey ......

Abandoned for profit.......Williams stand, cjs, price increases.......!!!!

For every Andy May, Tony Dinning or Steve Phillipps theres a Terry Butcher, Paul Ince and a John Terry.

I can remember the days when the normal man in the street could relate to the players, there was a genuine bond but these days the top Premiership footballers think there nothing short of royalty and give the impression their doing us all a favour!

England means very little to me now, if their playing of course I'll watch but it does not excite me anymore? Ive got to say I'm not even that bothered if England qualify for the Euro 2008. Look at it this way, at least if they're not there we may be able to sit back enjoy the tournament rather than waiting for McClaren and his over hyped players to stumble at the first stage.

Agree with everything you said there. Very good post.

The only reason people feel let down By England is because they expect to much, We are suppsoed to win every tournamont we ever enter even though we have only ever won one major trophy. I love City and England and want them both to win every game but its not going to happen. England Football team have the biggest following in the world in any sport i would imagine, so it would be nice to win something for the fans. Also don't blame the players for their wages, who would turn down £100,000 a week?

I've missed many a City match to go to England games, it's great that there's no longer a clash.

In the past, England have always come first, but now we're at a higher level, I doubt I'd pick one over the other, although with City doing so well and the East End being open City is a more enjoyable day lately, so it would be hard to give that a miss to go to the new plastic Wembley.

Fed up with England, expecially the players, and expecially the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Cole and Robinson and Owen.

England would stand a better chance of winning with players picked only from the lower leagues, at least the would show a slight interest.

I hope England fail to qualify, COME ON CROATIA!!!!!

City. England are a far, far distant second. International football is boring, massively over-hyped and I can count the number of games I've enjoyed on the fingers of one hand.

Shearers header v Germany dull dull dull, Owens hatrick v Germany ugh, Rooney becoming a world star v Crotia and Switzerland was sooooooo boring, Owens brace v Argentina utterly medoiocre.........

Shearers header v Germany dull dull dull, Owens hatrick v Germany ugh, Rooney becoming a world star v Crotia and Switzerland was sooooooo boring, Owens brace v Argentina utterly medoiocre.........

OK so the fingers and thumb...

How many utter shite games where we're been overhyped and underperformed and played at a snail's pace do you think I could list?

OK so the fingers and thumb...

How many utter shite games where we're been overhyped and underperformed and played at a snail's pace do you think I could list?

Numerous but if you go they will still be more fun than Carlisle at home.

At times Englands support away like for instance in Geneva is something to be marvelled at. That intensity is rarely/never ever seen at Bristol City games.

Numerous but if you go they will still be more fun than Carlisle at home.

At times Englands support away like for instance in Geneva is something to be marvelled at. That intensity is rarely/never ever seen at Bristol City games.

I've been. I still don't really care about international football, pales in comparison to watching City whoever the opposition. I just can't connect with it, I'm probably over negative about it due to being sick and tired of the bullshit hype.

I don't think the support is actually that good. There's lots of it and they're vocal now and then but they're also very quick to turn on players like Lampard and the whole WWII thing is just tired.

Each to their own.

I've been. I still don't really care about international football, pales in comparison to watching City whoever the opposition. I just can't connect with it, I'm probably over negative about it due to being sick and tired of the bullshit hype.

I don't think the support is actually that good. There's lots of it and they're vocal now and then but they're also very quick to turn on players like Lampard and the whole WWII thing is just tired.

Each to their own.

I have seen players villified when playing for City going as far as booing the goalscorer v Blackpool, spitting at Gary Emmanuel v Bournemouth after a handful of games for the club and Mr Savage got lot sof encoragement in his time here as fans openly laughed at him.

Hype? Some City fans on here had City promoted prior to Ipswhich and the England fans i know simply laugh it all off because it is bullshit written by a small group of journalists from red tops who don't believe it either.

The support away at times wipes the floor with what we get at City and sadly will never be experienced here. I have been to games when it was almost ear splitting. For an hour v Argentina in St Etienne Englands support was truly awesome and i would struggle to think of a parallel at club level after the eighties. Geneva in 2005 was something very special for all present.

I have seen players villified when playing for City going as far as booing the goalscorer v Blackpool, spitting at Gary Emmanuel v Bournemouth after a handful of games for the club and Mr Savage got lot sof encoragement in his time here as fans openly laughed at him.

Hype? Some City fans on here had City promoted prior to Ipswhich and the England fans i know simply laugh it all off because it is bullshit written by a small group of journalists from red tops who don't believe it either.

The support away at times wipes the floor with what we get at City and sadly will never be experienced here. I have been to games when it was almost ear splitting. For an hour v Argentina in St Etienne Englands support was truly awesome and i would struggle to think of a parallel at club level after the eighties. Geneva in 2005 was something very special for all present.

It's clear your passionate and that England always comes first for you, but don't you ever think why on earth am I spending a bloody fortune supporting such utterly dislikeable people as Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand?

Archived