IGNORED

England - The Future

bh_red

Let's be honest,

McClaren will probably be gone by 9am tomorrow.

So, WHO would you like to take over?

English or would you go abroad again?

Personally, I'd love Jose to take over, but don't think he would be interested in the job and reckon he will hold out for Barca,

Guus Hiddinck would be my favorite - FANTASTIC TOP NOTCH International Record with different countries, unfortunately, just signed a new contract with Russia

a few countries such as Holland and German have gone for top quality former player and given them a chance with decent success such as Van Basten and Jurgen, so would that possibly bring someone such as Alan Shearer into the frame.

Big Sam - I think would take the job, but he's hardly been a great success since he moved to Newcastle or maybe Martin O'Neill despite his Irish roots?

PERSONALLY.

I can't think of someone who would a) be a popular appointment and B) would actually want the job?

ideas?

Jose Mourinho - best choice IMO. Would have the balls to tell the press to **** off when they try to tell him what to do and to impose his own style on the side. I think he's too smart to take it though.

Hiddink - good experience and great record, but doubt he's available and doubt he will be interested because of what our press do to England managers and because he has a job with a country going to a big international tournament next year.

Big Sam - Graham Taylor Mk II, successful at a mediocre club but nothing more than that - no relevant experience and just another cardboard cutout Englander with no new ideas and 1970s football. Plus he's dirty.

Best bet is try for Mourinho, and if not then get Pearce or Shearer or someone to caretake the next 9 meaningless months until a decent manager is available after Euro 2008.

Not too sure about Mourinho. Fat Frank would be the first name on the teamsheet again, and he's not good enough imo.

In terms of players, we really miss a Paul Scholes type. Every team seems to have a playmaker that keeps hold of the ball, England don't have that. Think Fabregas, Arshavin (Russia), Modric (Croatia), Deco, etc etc. Gerrard and Lampard are just not doing it for England and maybe it's time to go down a different route.

Not too sure about Mourinho. Fat Frank would be the first name on the teamsheet again, and he's not good enough imo.

In terms of players, we really miss a Paul Scholes type. Every team seems to have a playmaker that keeps hold of the ball, England don't have that. Think Fabregas, Arshavin (Russia), Modric (Croatia), Deco, etc etc. Gerrard and Lampard are just not doing it for England and maybe it's time to go down a different route.

Jose would know how to get the best out of players like Lampard. He would get England playing to there strengths which we haven't been doing of late.

I don't think Jose could resist the chance to have a crack at the world cup. The world cup would be the ultimate prize for him.

Whoever comes in now has 9 months to get this team sorted before we embark on the world cup qualifying campaign. This period is vital and I hope the FA arrange as many friendlies as they possibly can to give the new man the chance to find the right team and tactics.

Jose would know how to get the best out of players like Lampard. He would get England playing to there strengths which we haven't been doing of late.

I don't think Jose could resist the chance to have a crack at the world cup. The world cup would be the ultimate prize for him.

Whoever comes in now has 9 months to get this team sorted before we embark on the world cup qualifying campaign. This period is vital and I hope the FA arrange as many friendlies as they possibly can to give the new man the chance to find the right team and tactics.

just got back from my first wembley trip

woeful, totally disgusting performance, some of those players should take a long hard look at themselves

Lampard and Gerrard might as well of being playing for the white hart on a sunday morning, pathetic, lazy, inept performances, especially gerrard who was supposed to be captain. His body language basically sucked, he should never be that armband back, JT or no JT.

Basically - Bridge, Campbell, Wright-phillips, Bent (although he did nothing wrond today), Defoe (ditto to Bent) are all not good enough to be playing for england. Campbell used to be, not anymore

Lampard has done nothing for england for a couple of years

Gerrard is nowhere near the player he is for Liverpool, he hasnt ever played consistently well for england. Where are the beckham like performances (1999-2003) when he dragged the team through difficult periods.... nowhere. I was so dissapointed with him today, he did nothing...

The press will love it 2more - they want us to fail, the writers love reporting on loses and failures

They will slag mcclaren off for playing carson (even though they wanted robinson out)

The way they put out a national campaign to get beckham back in the squad when they were the ones who wanted him out in the first place

McClaren will prob go 2moro, he has to take some blame, but so do the over paid players who let him and the 90k fans who paid good money. except cole and crouch (plus the subs)

right rant over, bed time

Exactly why we shouldn't have sacked him unless we were sure we had a replacement who was going to do a better job.

Unfortunately the tabloids wanted an English manager with "more passion" and most of the country followed like a flock of sheep.

Sven had to go it without doubt,

The biggest problem was that they employed completely the wrong person as replacement,

Sven had to go it without doubt,

The only reason for getting rid of a manager that should ever be valid is "we think a replacement will do better".

The biggest problem was that they employed completely the wrong person as replacement,

Which to me says that they shouldn't have sacked him until they had picked the right replacement instead of ending up with a fourth or fifth choice.

Sven had taken us as far as he could but at least we weren't going to go backwards with him in charge and fail to qualify.

Sven did have to go, he had taken us as far as he could. The problem as pointed out by BH and Nibor was the replacement.

The FA need to take a good long hard look at themselves before appointing ANYONE as England manager. I think they are one of the main problems, too much spin and as in McClarens case going for the easy option. We have the time now to get the right manager for England. He has to be a manager as well, one with an exceptional record, good motivator, hopefully respect in the game and not just a good coach which is all McClaren ever was.

it doesn't matter who's the new boss of england

at the end of the day it is down to the players to show some

passion and play for their country.

Nothing to do with passion mate, I could play for England and show loads of passion. The problem lies with players who are not tactically good enough, treat the ball as a hot potatoe and cant wait to hoof it upfield at the earliest opportunity. Yes these players look good at their clubs but that is because they are surrounded by talented foreigners who nurse them through!

My England future would have Hugo Tocalli and Miguel Angel Tojo overhauling the entire youth development side of the game in this country. They're out of work too. I wonder if the F.A. even know who they are. I doubt it sadly.

Manager wise out of the realistic targets (i.e. not Mourinho!) i'd go for Capello

My shortlist if I was Brian Barwick would be as follows:

1. Mourinho

2. Mourinho

3. Mourinho

4. Mourinho

5. Mourinho

6. Mourinho

7. Mourinho

8. Mourinho

9. Mourinho

10. Mourinho

11. Mourinho

12. Mourinho

13. Mourinho

14. Mourinho

15. Mourinho

16. Mourinho

17. Mourinho

18. Mourinho

19. Mourinho

20. Mourinho

21. Mourinho

22. Mourinho

23. Mourinho

24. Mourinho

25. Mourinho

26. Mourinho

27. Mourinho

28. Mourinho

29. Mourinho

30. Mourinho

My shortlist if I was Brian Barwick would be as follows:

1. Mourinho

2. Mourinho

3. Mourinho

4. Mourinho

5. Mourinho

6. Mourinho

7. Mourinho

8. Mourinho

9. Mourinho

10. Mourinho

11. Mourinho

12. Mourinho

13. Mourinho

14. Mourinho

15. Mourinho

16. Mourinho

17. Mourinho

18. Mourinho

19. Mourinho

20. Mourinho

21. Mourinho

22. Mourinho

23. Mourinho

24. Mourinho

25. Mourinho

26. Mourinho

27. Mourinho

28. Mourinho

29. Mourinho

30. Mourinho

so you've missed the bit where he doesn't want the job?

My England future would have Hugo Tocalli and Miguel Angel Tojo overhauling the entire youth development side of the game in this country. They're out of work too. I wonder if the F.A. even know who they are. I doubt it sadly.

Manager wise out of the realistic targets (i.e. not Mourinho!) i'd go for Capello

good shout, but no chance,

the work Tojo has done for Argentina is fantastic, not sure what went wrong in the last world cup, but you just need to look at the ability of the players they have coming through, the difference between them and us, is that they are actively encouraging between those 2 and Pekerman, they are building a good system and have a decent structure of developing the players not just technically, but personally, those players are taught to deal with the pressures of football and learn about the expectations of them, so that by the time they hit senior football, they are used to being in pressure situtation, something that our players couldn't deal with on wednesday.

The whole system in England needs shaking up from the top, down to the youth teams and they need to start with getting some experienced former pro's in to the FA to work with these kids from an early age, they started doing it a few years back with David Platt with the u21's but they need to start back at an earlier age back to the England Schoolboys, Trevor Brooking as director of youth development tried to get things reallly rollling but he is no longer happy with the state of play of English football and has concerns over the future generations of the game because of the foriegn imports and the lack of grass roots development compared to eslewhere.

changing the manager will only do so much, the whole system needs over-hauling

The whole system in England needs shaking up from the top, down to the youth teams and they need to start with getting some experienced former pro's in to the FA to work with these kids from an early age, they started doing it a few years back with David Platt with the u21's but they need to start back at an earlier age back to the England Schoolboys, Trevor Brooking as director of youth development tried to get things reallly rollling but he is no longer happy with the state of play of English football and has concerns over the future generations of the game because of the foriegn imports and the lack of grass roots development compared to eslewhere.

changing the manager will only do so much, the whole system needs over-hauling

Some very good points! take it from me I have seen first hand how the French system works from kids starting at 6 years old and it is superb.

The emphasis on winning is nowhere to be seen, all they promote in kids up to 13 years of age is football education and enjoyment. The result is the last thing on their mind.

Training sessions are structured, skills, tactics, etc etc companies HAVE to give registered coaches time off work to train the kids on a Wednesday afternoon, with full pay.

More importantly, kids usually start with a club at about 6-7 years old and stay with the same club right through to adulthood and even veterans football! They do not continually hop clubs to try and get the next bit of silverware!

Trust me the French model would NEVER be applied in UK as it is far more involved than just football!

Some very good points! take it from me I have seen first hand how the French system works from kids starting at 6 years old and it is superb.

The emphasis on winning is nowhere to be seen, all they promote in kids up to 13 years of age is football education and enjoyment. The result is the last thing on their mind.

Training sessions are structured, skills, tactics, etc etc companies HAVE to give registered coaches time off work to train the kids on a Wednesday afternoon, with full pay.

More importantly, kids usually start with a club at about 6-7 years old and stay with the same club right through to adulthood and even veterans football! They do not continually hop clubs to try and get the next bit of silverware!

Trust me the French model would NEVER be applied in UK as it is far more involved than just football!

And the French model has done what? The great french team was a result of the dubious practice of bringing in thousands of dual nationality youngsters, the majority of which are cast out at 19. The French team is a shadow of its former self since its coulden age in the late 90's.

There's nothing wrong with the English system, other than top clubs finding it easier to import cheaper foreign players rather than persevere with their younger charges.

Agree with Moomin about the French "model". Ship in lots of talented imports with a French passport. That's sustainable and good for the national game, not.

As for England:

Glenn Hoddle

The right experience as player and manager. Why gamble yet again?

Glenn Hoddle, almost as bad a McLaren, if not worse. The guy has'nt a clue!

And the French model has done what? The great french team was a result of the dubious practice of bringing in thousands of dual nationality youngsters, the majority of which are cast out at 19. The French team is a shadow of its former self since its coulden age in the late 90's.

There's nothing wrong with the English system, other than top clubs finding it easier to import cheaper foreign players rather than persevere with their younger charges.

fair play to France it has to be said, the kids have some sort of talent to start with but they still had to develop them into to World and European champions, lets be honest, 15 or so years ago if we could have got Ryan Giggs to play for us over Wales we would have jumped at the chance, plus let's be honest it's not like we haven't tried to grab foreignors as english, John Barnes and Owen Hargreaves spring to mind, but they just haven't been as succesful.

The English football system is a mess from top to bottom and needs to be sorted out, Trevor Brooker the head of the FA Youth Development is trying but unfortunately he's getting no support, the FA have no interest it seems in long term youth development, they have been too concerned and too skint after blowing Millions on the New Wembley and worrying about sorting out the next McDonalds Sponsorship deal.

If you bury your head any deeper I'm sure the FA will find you a job

Archived