IGNORED

Help With Job

tin

This has been doing my nut now for too long. I've been in my current job for nearly 8 months now. I work for a major financial company in Bristol and I genuinely dunno what to do.

I've not even been considered for a payrise despite my contract saying my basic salary should go up after 3 months and now all my best friends that I've made in the office are upping sticks as well. It doesn't help that I've fallen for a bird who also left on Friday. I don't have time to look for another job when I get home and feel trapped in a big way.

Has anyone got any advice please? I dunno what to do or where to turn...

Rant over, cheers!

This has been doing my nut now for too long. I've been in my current job for nearly 8 months now. I work for a major financial company in Bristol and I genuinely dunno what to do.

I've not even been considered for a payrise despite my contract saying my basic salary should go up after 3 months and now all my best friends that I've made in the office are upping sticks as well. It doesn't help that I've fallen for a bird who also left on Friday. I don't have time to look for another job when I get home and feel trapped in a big way.

Rant over, cheers!

Have you tried talking to your boss about the pay rise situation? I'm sure he/she would be understanding and willing to talk to you about it in private.

Why not get to know the others in the office better or any new ones that come in? Now that the woman youve fallen for is gone (i'm presuming thus meaning youve lost all contact?) then try and forget about her and move on to someone else.

You could always take a day or 2 leave to look for anothe job if its what you want but have a think about it. Less than a week after the people are leaving is not the right time to quit your job. You could go on to majorly regret it.

Have you tried talking to your boss about the pay rise situation? I'm sure he/she would be understanding and willing to talk to you about it in private.

Why not get to know the others in the office better or any new ones that come in? Now that the woman youve fallen for is gone (i'm presuming thus meaning youve lost all contact?) then try and forget about her and move on to someone else.

You could always take a day or 2 leave to look for anothe job if its what you want but have a think about it. Less than a week after the people are leaving is not the right time to quit your job. You could go on to majorly regret it.

Yeah, I've spoke to the boss about it and he says there's nothing he can do for any of us, hence the mass exodus.

I know loads of people in the office but obviously you can't get on with them all, despite trying. I'm still in touch with the lady in question and hope to maintain contact with her and take it to the next level as well. Few hurdles to overcome first though!

I agree with your final point though about making a rash decision and going on to regret it. I'm apllying for loads of new stuff but just not getting the break. It's just really unsettling when people come and go like they do in this office. Another two have announced this morning that they're off as well and they're both good mates as well. Nightmare situation!

Cheers Giles.

Use job search sites like monster, jobserve etc in the evening and print off the ones that look interesting. They'll mainly be advertised by recruitment agencies. They'll want a CV emailed, so do that and explain that you can't talk during office hours but can at lunch. Go somewhere quiet at lunch and give them a ring. If they're interested they'll want to arrange a telephone or face to face interview. Blag it as dentist's/doctor's or take a half day or ask if they can do interviews slightly outside office hours. Surprisingly often they will.

Talk to your boss, remind them about all the work you've done and point out that you'd like to see it reflected in salary as you were promised. Point out that it's in your contract. Politely, mind, if it's a big organisation your boss probably gets no say in it you just want them the chase it with HR or their boss. Hopefully now you've got an iron or two in the fire and you can make a choice out of a couple of options.

It's never actually that hard to get a new job, you're not on an oil rig or in Iraq. The biggest hurdle is getting your arse in gear and actually doing it. I've sat in a job for too long before for no good reason other than "it's so much hassle to find a new job" and I've only ended up regretting it. Remember that people who are recruiting are getting paid to fill positions, they will do everything they can to make it easy for you to get the job, they know the problems and work around them all day long.

Make sure you have contact details for your workmates that are buggering off, even if you don't keep in touch for long they obviously know people who are recruiting for your industry ;). You could sort out a Xmas session if you want an icebreaker. Don't worry over much about it though, if you decide to get a new job you'll make new mates there, and if you don't new people will start... change happens, you'll keep in touch with some and lose touch with others. That's life.

As for the bird, there's no polite way to say this really. The only advice anyone can give there is:

Grow a pair and tell her you want it.

Easy to say, harder to do. Alcohol helps.

Rant over, cheers!

Hi mate, i'm going to take this on face value and assume you're not on a wind up!

I was in a similar situation, i also worked for a major financial company and got fed up with the lack of opportunity to progress my career into a more senior management role. The first thing you need to do is air your concerns to your boss. If he/she has lost a few of her staff recently, he will be reluctant to let someone go who has only worked there for 8 months. Have a frank and open conversation about your basic salary and commission structure and put the ball firmly in his/her court.

In my situation, they couldn't find a solution the i felt rewarded my ability, so i eventually left. I've found a superb job and i'm currently on Garden Leave hence why i can post on here now!! On the plus side, try not to see this bird and your mates leaving as a bad thing. Ensure you continue to see them after work for a beer, and their absense may mean your performance improves. I know a fantastic self employed recruitment consultant (who happens to be gorgeous too!) and she only works in financial services. You know where i sit, and if you want her number or to discuss, talk to me tonight.

Keep your chin up, loads of options for you pal.

Gaffer.

Use job search sites like monster, jobserve etc in the evening and print off the ones that look interesting. They'll mainly be advertised by recruitment agencies. They'll want a CV emailed, so do that and explain that you can't talk during office hours but can at lunch. Go somewhere quiet at lunch and give them a ring. If they're interested they'll want to arrange a telephone or face to face interview. Blag it as dentist's/doctor's or take a half day or ask if they can do interviews slightly outside office hours. Surprisingly often they will.

Please please do not post your CV on monster or jobserve!! I cannot emphasise this enough!! I made this mistake and was bombarded by national recruitment consultants just trying to push any job on you, and not taylor them to your needs.

I would recommend using a recruitment consultant, but only one you can trust or have have a recommendation from. By all means browse the sites, but do not stick your CV on there! I ha 31 voicemails by 11.00am on the first day i did!!

The rest of Nibors post, as usual, is spot on.

Talk to your boss, remind them about all the work you've done and point out that you'd like to see it reflected in salary as you were promised. Point out that it's in your contract. Politely, mind, if it's a big organisation your boss probably gets no say in it you just want them the chase it with HR or their boss. Hopefully now you've got an iron or two in the fire and you can make a choice out of a couple of options.

It's never actually that hard to get a new job, you're not on an oil rig or in Iraq. The biggest hurdle is getting your arse in gear and actually doing it. I've sat in a job for too long before for no good reason other than "it's so much hassle to find a new job" and I've only ended up regretting it. Remember that people who are recruiting are getting paid to fill positions, they will do everything they can to make it easy for you to get the job, they know the problems and work around them all day long.

Make sure you have contact details for your workmates that are buggering off, even if you don't keep in touch for long they obviously know people who are recruiting for your industry ;). You could sort out a Xmas session if you want an icebreaker. Don't worry over much about it though, if you decide to get a new job you'll make new mates there, and if you don't new people will start... change happens, you'll keep in touch with some and lose touch with others. That's life.

As for the bird, there's no polite way to say this really. The only advice anyone can give there is:

Grow a pair and tell her you want it.

Easy to say, harder to do. Alcohol helps.

Fantastic advice Nibor, just what I needed thanks!

I agree with the getting your 'arse in gear' point, that really is the hardest part. I'm a graduate as well so I shouldn't have too much job finding another job.

It has been been really getting me down though recently. I've been losing sleep other it and am always on edge, whether that's the job or the prospect of losing the girl, I dunno. And on that note, the hurdles I referred to overcoming involve her boyfriend so it's more complicated than growing a pair! :whistle:

Please please do not post your CV on monster or jobserve!! I cannot emphasise this enough!! I made this mistake and was bombarded by national recruitment consultants just trying to push any job on you, and not taylor them to your needs.

I would recommend using a recruitment consultant, but only one you can trust or have have a recommendation from. By all means browse the sites, but do not stick your CV on there! I ha 31 voicemails by 11.00am on the first day i did!!

The rest of Nibors post, as usual, is spot on.

Agree totally, definitely don't post your CV on there. Just use the facility to email it to the recruiter.

You *will* be forever on that recruiter's database and they *will* spam you occasionally in future. Nothing really you can do about that, it's a necessary evil and it's fairly harmless - you can probably get removed by request later but while you're looking for a job it's ok.

I've not even been considered for a payrise despite my contract saying my basic salary should go up after 3 months. I don't have time to look for another job when I get home and feel trapped in a big way.

Rant over, cheers!

Has it occurred to you that maybe they just don't rate you and are deliberately by-passing you and others so that you'll all quit?

Its said that cream rises to the top and you haven't done that so maybe its time to look for another career.

Take a few days leave or get a dose of man 'flu and find something else.

Has it occurred to you that maybe they just don't rate you and are deliberately by-passing you and others so that you'll all quit?

Its said that cream rises to the top and you haven't done that so maybe its time to look for another career.

Christ talk about kicking a man when he's down!!!

He's only been there 8 months, I doubt they've formed an opinion one way or the other.

Large financial companies simply don't act on an individual basis. They have HR departments that make global policies that are unhelpful to everyone except HR departments and remove any authority from people actually on the factory floor doing the work. That's what skipping pay reviews reeks of, well, that or another round of outsourcing coming up.

The middle management in such large companies is almost without exception just as lethargic, unresponsive, inept and made up of useless lifers who couldn't survive in a real job as it is in public sector organisations.

Frankly if I was tin I'd be looking to work for a smaller company where individual contribution is recognisable and people can't hide, that's just my personal preference though.

Definitely.

The cream doesn't rise to the top in eight months. In fact, there's a lad here who's been here for over 2 years, has been trained up on everything in pensions, makes a 90-mile daily round trip from the Valleys (he's Cardiff City btw) and hasn't had a dickie bird out of middle management. The fact that so many are leaving speaks volumes IMHO.

Thanks for the 'frank' advice though :noexpression:

The cream doesn't rise to the top in eight months. In fact, there's a lad here who's been here for over 2 years, has been trained up on everything in pensions, makes a 90-mile daily round trip from the Valleys (he's Cardiff City btw) and hasn't had a dickie bird out of middle management. The fact that so many are leaving speaks volumes IMHO.

Mate is your company on the airport road as i have heard similar about that

Come get a free hug off me, I live/work there!

Ah, cheers Dolls. Appreciate the offer but concentrating my efforts on the certain girl in question. Thanks all the same though, in fact, thanks for everyone's advice - bar the stupid stuff. This is a serious situation for me and I wouldn't have posted something so personal on here if I didn't have anywhere else to turn so cheers for those who replied.

FAO Gaffer - Mate, I dunno who you are. I was keeping an eye out for you tonight to have a little chat about how you resolved your sitch but couldn't work out who you were but I must know you. Where do you sit exactly? I'm seat 19...

Ah, cheers Dolls. Appreciate the offer but concentrating my efforts on the certain girl in question. Thanks all the same though, in fact, thanks for everyone's advice - bar the stupid stuff. This is a serious situation for me and I wouldn't have posted something so personal on here if I didn't have anywhere else to turn so cheers for those who replied.

FAO Gaffer - Mate, I dunno who you are. I was keeping an eye out for you tonight to have a little chat about how you resolved your sitch but couldn't work out who you were but I must know you. Where do you sit exactly? I'm seat 19...

Hiya mate,

Great game on tuesday night, we're going great guns now huh??

I'm in seat 8 row u, and i'm more than happy to help. Or if you want, PM me and i'll tell you what i did and what you might be able to do. Gaffer

I was going to suggest you look keen and ask about additional training, but that doesn't seem to have worked for the other bloke. Does your company have formal written appraisals with action plans where you can discuss your future and such, pay has to be part of this?

As so many have left it's true it doesn't look good. Where are they going, are they happy, are you still in touch and maybe can get word of openings there for you?

Good luck wit the girl, bit complicated with the boyfriend, but all is not lost. Just be careful he is well off the scene before you get too involved, lesson remembered from a recent post on here!

Well that's my advice, others have offered you better. Gaffer seems to have a good contact and nibor is always worth listening too.

I was only offering a hug!

:crying:

:laugh:, Dolls, I didn't it like that but understand that came out wrong! Sorry :blush:

Hiya mate,

Great game on tuesday night, we're going great guns now huh??

I'm in seat 8 row u, and i'm more than happy to help. Or if you want, PM me and i'll tell you what i did and what you might be able to do. Gaffer

I'll come a seek you out for the Cardiff game mate and have a little chat. You must know who I am as I go past you every home game to get to my seat so you'll definately recognise me I'd have thought. Cheers bud.

I was going to suggest you look keen and ask about additional training, but that doesn't seem to have worked for the other bloke. Does your company have formal written appraisals with action plans where you can discuss your future and such, pay has to be part of this?

As so many have left it's true it doesn't look good. Where are they going, are they happy, are you still in touch and maybe can get word of openings there for you?

Good luck wit the girl, bit complicated with the boyfriend, but all is not lost. Just be careful he is well off the scene before you get too involved, lesson remembered from a recent post on here!

Well that's my advice, others have offered you better. Gaffer seems to have a good contact and nibor is always worth listening too.

We're meant to have formal appraisals every six months or so but they just put it off and put it off. A friend of mine there said today that she asked for a pay review, a month after she was due one, and got offered a paltry £700 a year extra or £14.50 a week! To say that was an insult is beyond belief IMHO, especially considering the work she does! :disapointed2se:

I'm still in touch with most of the people who've left although another good pal has handed in his resignation today which isn't good. I've got a few irons in the fire now since I last posted on this topic so hopefully should have some good news in the not too distant future.

As for the girl, I've decided to back off a bit and lurk in the background (for want of a better saying)! We're texting and it's going well so that one will have to be a waiting game I think. :fingerscrossed:

Rant over, cheers!

Put a ski on the end of your name and head for the nearest benefits office.! :ph34r:

We're meant to have formal appraisals every six months or so but they just put it off and put it off. A friend of mine there said today that she asked for a pay review, a month after she was due one, and got offered a paltry £700 a year extra or £14.50 a week! To say that was an insult is beyond belief IMHO, especially considering the work she does! :disapointed2se:

I'd get used to that sort of increase.

On £20k it's a 3.5% increase which is above inflation and fair in my eyes.

It depends whether you get annual inflationry increases or not I suppose.

I'm in a job where I have guarenteed pay increments as long as I perform the required SMART objectives.

Rant over, cheers!

Suspension bridge?

Archived