IGNORED

Half-way House - Time To Think Differently?

mozo

Two winnable home games to go and City could realistically be in the top-two after half a season.

I've already seen enough to be confident that we will survive, and the 50 point mark is almost of no significance anymore.

What will it take for you to focus on promotion (there, I said it!)?

Win the next 2 at home (the next 1 especially) :englandsmile4wf: and then win at wba boxing day!!!

Then i might start getting a tiny bit excited about it!!!

Beating West Brom at their place sounds far-fetched, but if we did what you say, I think our collective expectations would go through the roof.

I think Brom will take the title.

Yep..one game at a time but we are capable ogf going up, although I think it is more likely through the play-offs. Just a thought Bristol R****s got promoted last season through the play-offs and as far as I can remember were nowhere near the top six all season....we have hardly been out of the top six all season. You don't win away at teams like Watford and beat the likes of Ipswich, Sheffield Utd etc at home without having a good chance of being in the top six. I agree WBA are most likely to finish top...but everything is still possible this season.

One game at a time for me.

Very sensible...but don't you have a secret moment here or there where you look at the table and wistfully confront the fact that the distance between the best possible outcome this season and reality is surprisingly small?

Our hopes of promotion are surely not a gaping abyss of impossibility, but a mere gorge that only requires a masterful Isambard Brunel figure (similarities are there!) to build a bridge across.

I'm feeling giddy, good job I'm sitting down...

The fans expecting nothing other than survival and the players trying desperately to prove us wrong is working fine.

So if we're second after 23 games - which may or may not happen - would you disregard the league table and keep hope and expectation at bay?

If so, you must be a bhuddist monk of some sort.

The fans expecting nothing other than survival and the players trying desperately to prove us wrong is working fine.

Don't change a winning formula.

The worst thing we could do is to raise expectations IMO.

sorry but i don't think it would be a good thing at all for us to go up this season - nowhere near ready (look at derby) ! My hope at start of season was survival and that has now been raised to mid table but if we could sneak into the playoffs and have a cracking day out in north london then that would be magic...

I've thought about it...we are going up! Basso is better than Cashley by miles....the back four are more consistent than Sweeney, Mrrick, Collier and Drysdale....Marvin Elliott has more creativity than Trevor Tainton could muster...so it is only in attack that we are not so good as last time we made the top flight in my opinion. Lee Trundle, Darren Byfield, Enoch Showunmi and Steve Brooker all have the potential in them...but none of them (for different reasons) has so far taken the season by the scruff of the neck and started consistently giving defences hell...it only takes one of them to click in to gear and we are there....

I've thought about it...we are going up! Basso is better than Cashley by miles....the back four are more consistent than Sweeney, Mrrick, Collier and Drysdale....Marvin Elliott has more creativity than Trevor Tainton could muster...so it is only in attack that we are not so good as last time we made the top flight in my opinion. Lee Trundle, Darren Byfield, Enoch Showunmi and Steve Brooker all have the potential in them...but none of them (for different reasons) has so far taken the season by the scruff of the neck and started consistently giving defences hell...it only takes one of them to click in to gear and we are there....

then god help us ! :innocent06:

Our hopes of promotion are surely not a gaping abyss of impossibility, more a mere gorge that requires but a masterful Isambard Brunel figure to adjoin.

There Moz, some slight creative editing for you :farmer:

err, where were we? oh yeah, I honestly have taken such little notice of the League table thus far I can't tell you where we are from one week to the next.

I'll stick my neck out for you though old chum and say I reckon we'll be one of the favorates battling it out for the final Play Off spot with a cluster of other Clubs come May.

But who really knows, ey?

then god help us ! :innocent06:

Thanks to Basso we already have God on our side! This time last year people were "wondering" whether GJ was good enough to get us into the Championship....this time next year we could be fifth in the Premier League (behind Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool) - a spot currently occupied by that "massive" club Portsmouth with their team of multi-million pound stars.

Our team at that time could include Basso (just called up for Brazil) Vasko (established Hungarian centre half) Johnson (turned down multi-million pound move to Reading in Spring) Sproule (International wing wizard), Carey (home grown talent and not since Le Tissier has the league known such a loyal club man) etc etc.

We are getting there slowly but surely.

Let's not get the "high expectation" lot going...they already demand 150% every week...but it is great to dream and believe that it could be reality sooner than you think.

sorry but i don't think it would be a good thing at all for us to go up this season - nowhere near ready (look at derby) ! My hope at start of season was survival and that has now been raised to mid table but if we could sneak into the playoffs and have a cracking day out in north london then that would be magic...

Can't agree with that!!!

If we spent like maniacs and still did a derby then it could be a disaster. charlton went up under curbs,, went down but kept most of the squad together and went up again, staying for years and building their stadium up!!

If you get a sniff then you have to go for it!!!

If so, you must be a bhuddist monk of some sort.

bhuddist monk's are ##### cool, Bruce and I don't use the word lightly. ''#####'' that is.

A man travelling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, the tiger after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of a root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white one black, little by little started to gnaw away at the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!

hmm, yeah, think about it....

If we're in with a shout after 40 games then I will be getting very excited but if we finish top 10, which I think we will btw, then we've still had a great season and have made marvellous strides forward as a club in a short space of time.

Hopeful of top six mind as WBA are the only team that are a cut above... :dancing6:

Sorry but i can't understand those who say it would not be a good thing to go up.

The fact is that every club that goes up is favourite to come straight back down wether they have been established in the CCC or not. So we go up and come down. We have a great time in the premership play the top teams week in week out and have the buffer of a parachute payment to build a team that could go up and stay up and thats the worst case. We could stay up like Reading or Wigan after all we have a very wealthy chairman.

I don't expect us to go up but i am able to dream after all thats what its all about for supporters of clubs like Bristol City. I am old enough to remember the last time we were in the top flight and going to games against Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal at Ashton Gate. Those were magic days and we managed some great results during that period even though it didn't last.

Come on everybody lets be positive. With the start we've made and our recovery from 3 defeats on the trot the playoffs should be the clubs minimum aim.

If we win our next 2 games, despite it not necessarily meaning we will be in the top 2. I think we will be able and confident enough to get at least a point at West Brom then win at Burnley. Coventry is very winnable which then takes us nicely into a no pressure FA Cup game.

There is no reason why we cannot pick up at least 10 points from our next 5 games. Meaning we have 4 games after that to get the 7 points to take it to the 17 we are averaging every 10 games.

Them 4 games after Boro are:

Colchester United - HOME - Saturday Jan 12th

Crystal Palace - AWAY - Saturday Jan 19th

Blackpool - HOME - Tuesday Jan 29th

QPR - AWAY - Saturday Feb 2nd.

Try telling me that we cannot pick up at very least 7 points from that.

The next two games are going to be very, very difficult.

Derby matches are always fiercely contested and almost always close affairs. If we win on Saturday, it will probably be by the odd goal. Personally, I can see it finishing all square.

Then we would be wise not to under-estimate Barnsley. I've kept an eye on them ever since they spanked us 3-0 and they're a pretty good side. It's going to be a tough game; one of those on paper that you think is one of the more winnable fixtures, but in reality it'll be a lot more difficult than that.

I'm certainly treating the WBA game as a bonus game; boxing day, sold-out away end, big club, we're doing well, they've got a great team, the fixture at Ashton Gate was an excellent game... I'm just going to enjoy it and remember that 12 months ago I was sitting in a temporary stand in the freezing cold at Gillingham watching us struggle to a 1-1 draw against a long-ball team.

But as someone pointed out... it's one game at a time, and the visit of Cardiff will be one of the games of the season.

Just enjoy where we are.

If we win our next 2 games, despite it not necessarily meaning we will be in the top 2. I think we will be able and confident enough to get at least a point at West Brom then win at Burnley. Coventry is very winnable which then takes us nicely into a no pressure FA Cup game.

There is no reason why we cannot pick up at least 10 points from our next 5 games. Meaning we have 4 games after that to get the 7 points to take it to the 17 we are averaging every 10 games.

I disagree a little. I reckon these home games are very winnable, the away games that follow are as hard as they come. Sure, we beat Watford away, but we caught them at the right time.

I think Brom are on top form, and like Ipswich are a scary prospect at their place. Burnley are flying too, so I'd be pleasantly surprised to win one of those.

January is a very promising month, though and I can see us sitting pretty heading into Feb.

The next two games are going to be very, very difficult.

Derby matches are always fiercely contested and almost always close affairs. If we win on Saturday, it will probably be by the odd goal. Personally, I can see it finishing all square.

Then we would be wise not to under-estimate Barnsley. I've kept an eye on them ever since they spanked us 3-0 and they're a pretty good side. It's going to be a tough game; one of those on paper that you think is one of the more winnable fixtures, but in reality it'll be a lot more difficult than that.

Form is on our side though!

Cardiff are in a mess on and off the pitch (beating Colchester doesn't impress me too much). Their gaffer is under pressure and I can see us losing him his job. Johnson will tell our lads to rattle them early with pace and pressure, and to further dent their shaky confidence.

Barnsley are poor away, with a similar record to Ipswich.

Often, form is a good indicator, and home advantage will play a part.

I disagree a little. I reckon these home games are very winnable, the away games that follow are as hard as they come. Sure, we beat Watford away, but we caught them at the right time.

I think Brom are on top form, and like Ipswich are a scary prospect at their place. Burnley are flying too, so I'd be pleasantly surprised to win one of those.

January is a very promising month, though and I can see us sitting pretty heading into Feb.

They are hard, there are no easy games in this league.

West Brom away will be very hard, possibly the hardest game of the season, but i realistically see no reason we cant get a point from it. Burnley lost at home 2-0 to QPR last night so they could be on a poor run of form by the time we play them.

Agreed, i think even after Feb we can still be top 6, and close to the top 2.

They are hard, there are no easy games in this league.

West Brom away will be very hard, possibly the hardest game of the season, but i realistically see no reason we cant get a point from it. Burnley lost at home 2-0 to QPR last night so they could be on a poor run of form by the time we play them.

Agreed, i think even after Feb we can still be top 6, and close to the top 2.

Agree Giles, and games will be harder as we play teams for the second time around, as we will no longer be the unknown quantity we were early in the season - Colchester found the same last season.

Also, like last season, if we stay in the promotion hunt, what might appear easy games have a nasty habit of turning into tough tests when the result matters a lot more. Having said all of that, I think we present a tough test for the oppostition too, and none of them will be taking us lightly from now on.

P.S. Wasn't taking the pi55 yesterday about goal scoring and health and safety - more tongue in cheek linkin after goal music to stories about the Dolman moving. No offence intented.

Agree Giles, and games will be harder as we play teams for the second time around, as we will no longer be the unknown quantity we were early in the season - Colchester found the same last season.

Also, like last season, if we stay in the promotion hunt, what might appear easy games have a nasty habit of turning into tough tests when the result matters a lot more. Having said all of that, I think we present a tough test for the oppostition too, and none of them will be taking us lightly from now on.

P.S. Wasn't taking the pi55 yesterday about goal scoring and health and safety - more tongue in cheek linkin after goal music to stories about the Dolman moving. No offence intented.

Thing with the playing teams again, we've played Ipswich twice, lost the first and won the 2nd. So do you think that when we play teams for the 2nd time (apart from Cardiff, Colchester and Palace, cos weve not played them yet) then we will have them sussed? You can never tell with football its all about the day.

True, but as the old cliche goes, therea re no easy games at this level. QPR and Cardiff proved that last night by both winning away. We cannot be taken lightly and looked upon as a fluke team. No team is in the top 6 by fluke or luck halfway into the season!

No worries mate. Forgotten all about it

Two winnable home games to go and City could realistically be in the top-two after half a season.

I've already seen enough to be confident that we will survive, and the 50 point mark is almost of no significance anymore.

Well...we did win both home games!

We will manage 50 points.

Brom are beatable, but incredibly tough.

52 p. in hand first.

Archived