IGNORED

Hold On To Players

mozo

I hope we hold on to our key players in the transfer window, most notably Marv Elliott and Liam Fontaine, who are both valuable commodoties.

Rumour has it that Fulham are chasing Watford's Marlon King, and that Kightly of Wolves could be off to Italy (although I doubt it).

Both would be good news for us, if we kept our squad in tact.

The problem is that if a Premiership club came in for any City player and offered silly money of £3m at the same time the chance for him to a) play in the promised land. b) quadruple his salary, do you think that he or any other player would want to stay at City? and do you think that Lansdown would turn down such a good offer? Remember, 'every player has his price.'

Unfortunately thats the reality of the transfer windows.

If City did deny any player a big money move to the Prem then that player becomes resentfull and unsettled.Thats bad for squad morale and the last thing anyone wants.

The bottom line is that if the player wants to go, as in the case of Cotterill and Lita then there is not much the club can do to keep them.

Personally, I don't think there's any excuse for any player wanting to leave this Xmas - and I can't see why they would want to. Anyone who reckons they can cut it in the Prem should be told that have another five months to make their case with us in the CCC. We should be looking to bring players in (cover for Marvellous Marv, a full back and a striker) rather than let anyone go.

All the exposure we get courtesy of GJ, our good football and the factthat we've become an interesting story - we're the "dark horse" challengers - for the media should help no end in recruitment. Players won't feel they're falling off the end of the earth by heading south of Birmingham and west of Reading.

Having said that, if anyone comes in with as stupid a valuation as Wigan put on Cotterill, well - it might be rude to say no. And I mean really stupid - like £3 million for Lee Johnson. He's good but I still do a double-take and assume that the mascot's still on the pitch whenever I clock him.

It seems Watford are to lose Bangura who will be deported! We can only be pleased if other teams lose their players in January (although I feel sorry in this instance for the fella from Sierra Leone).

I just hope that Premiership clubs look to the stars of our more established rivals, and daren't poach from us unfashionable West-country bumpkins!!

Any offers for Elliot or Fonts should be instantly and blatently rejected, regardless of the fee being offered, even if its silly money.

Elliot is playing the best footy of his life at City and Fonts is getting better with each game, they're both key players and ever-so vital for a play-off push. If we sell them then i'll 5h1t in my hat and punch it!

We may never get the a chance like this to play Prem footy, we should be spending, not selling for goodness sake.

In todays game it is impossible to ward off interest when an interested party shows real intent.If a player has been identified there is really only one way to hold-on to him,more money coupled with a longer contract.

In fairness to the player the career is a short one and needs to be maximised to the full.Should clubs of greater stature pursue one or two of our players expect the inevitable,thankyou and goodbye.

The key element for any club should be to seek the best fee and already have your own plan or "hit list" in place to address any such situation.A positive of now being in the championship is that the price tag on our desirable players is on average around 40% greater than a year ago.At this time I would only view two of our players as having the capabilities or potential to attract interest from the premiership,one can though imagine the likes of Pardew,Robson,Mowbrey & Boothroyd being somewhat more alert to the calibre available in the championship.

Archived