IGNORED

Are We A Big Club?

BristolCity4Life84

Depends on how you define a big club.

Big clubs to me are one's like Man City,Leeds Utd,Sunderland,Newcastle....Clubs that have had relatively no success but still fill their stadiums on a regualr bases.

City will never have the 'hardcore' fan base to be a 'big club'. I'd say mid-table Championship would be about right and if we were to ever reach the Prem we would be a very small fish in a massive pond.

Bristol City are not a big club in the great scheme of things but we are a healthy middle weight club doing things the right way.

Big clubs to me are one's like Man City,Leeds Utd,Sunderland,Newcastle....Clubs that have had relatively no success but still fill their stadiums on a regualr bases.

City will never have the 'hardcore' fan base to be a 'big club'. I'd say mid-table Championship would be about right and if we were to ever reach the Prem we would be a very small fish in a massive pond.

Bristol City are not a big club in the great scheme of things but we are a healthy middle weight club doing things the right way.

No Bristol City are not a big club as the ones mentioned , but have the potential to become a bigger club in a relatively short time . Already the coverage aired to city on the many t.v soccer programmes in the championship , is being viewed by the younger gen . ( the fans of the not so far off future )who don't go to the gate often , on a reg . basis . Any venture , however long into the prem . will give the club a greater exposure generating an even wider interest both within the city and its outlying areas , as well as providing significent revenue . A larger stadium with increased seating is not being built for 15,000 as of now . Potentially it could take off for the club and it's refreshing to see the club are preparing for its possibility .

Are we any smaller than Fulham , Blackburn , Wigan , Bolton in the prem now .Or even Southampton , Norwich , Ipswich etc .. who continue to languish in the champs with inconsistant or mediocre attendances . Regular visitors to our ground in the prem . like the teams mentioned , will increase interest from those youngsters , just like it did for many of you in the 70's when reaching the old 1st division .

Pricing can bring quite an emotive response from many and may have something to do with the lack of full houses at the gate this term . This will only increase I believe over the next few years as we either get to the prem . or continue to look for that strong possibility of doing so . We must not price the future fans out of watching the team. They are what will make us a big club in the next decade .

'BIG' club is not important to me .....

its the fact that was my Dad's and is 'MY' club that is.

:englandsmile4wf:

Is the correct answer -well said and I think you speak for pretty well all of us.

Being a fan of a big club is overrated - there's more than a couple of Chelsea fans who yearn for the old days when they were a bit rubbish. I actually really like the fact that City aren't a big club, for this reason - if you ever see anyone wearing a City shirt, you know that they're a real fan and not just a glory hunter or wannabee. Hope that never changes.

Are we a big club - NO - not in the slighest.

Can we be one day - That has to be the aim personally, I can more about whether we are a SUCCESSFUL CLUB

in this league, We are a SMALL club

Agree totally....Small (ish) ground, no fans, never won anything of note...(oh and we heve won the layland DAF/Johnson paints etc)

You're right, but I'd categorise Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester City as sleeping giants. Teams who've won major trophies and have a massive fan base. Sleeping giants would also include Wolves, who were the team of the 1950's under Stan Cullis.

Newcastle last won a major trophy in 1969; the old Fairs Cup (now the UEFA Cup), whilst Man City's cupboard has been bear since they defeated the Geordies in the 1976 League Cup Final. Bob Stokoe's second division Sunderland defeated a mighty Leeds United in 1973's Cup Final for their last major and who could forget Leeds own First Division Championship success in 1992? And Wolves? Well, they won the League Cup way back in 1980, following a 1-0 defeat of Forest.

All once upon a long ago.

Being a fan of a big club is overrated - there's more than a couple of Chelsea fans who yearn for the old days when they were a bit rubbish. I actually really like the fact that City aren't a big club, for this reason - if you ever see anyone wearing a City shirt, you know that they're a real fan and not just a glory hunter or wannabee. Hope that never changes.

good shout..agree,and i should know about all that supporting a minnow of a club...but i love my little club.

I`ve heard people say we`re not because we`re not in the Prem and because of our history.

But for me, Yes. Bristol is a big city. Our club is the biggest in the city. The stadium (20,000 capacity) is quite big for our league. And the club`s potential is massive.

To me, Bristol City are the biggest club in the World!

Not yet, but when you see other clubs like Bolton, southampton,Charlton,Derby,Forest,then why not us.One season back in the 70s Forest after winning the old div1 and the european cup had average attendances of 26,000 we averaged 23,000 whithout having any success.

Forrest a big club me ar*e competed and won some of the best silverware in the world but no not a big club.. Random, Spurs a big club nah won some great finals but still not a big club..the gulf between a big club and your also rans is massive. Could you possibly believe that Reading is a big club, Wigan, Norwich blah blah blah no..... Does going to Wemebly with the highest amount of fans ever [bar England] 40,000 for the Gas make us a big club ........no chance

From a Rovers perspective I view you as the Man U of the South West, yes you are the best in the West at the mo and fair play......[with age I don't hate u as I used to as a teen in the 80's mellowed with the onset of kids, all Gas my legacy bless] but for you out there with the big club antics ....stop it yer having a laugh............Derby welcomes u

See ya in a couple of years Ro....Gas for ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

'BIG' club is not important to me .....

its the fact that was my Dad's and is 'MY' club that is.

:englandsmile4wf:

Yep....And there it is

I'm City through and through and through: and have been since I got my face pushed up against the railings in the open end age six...(whilst the Dolman stand was being built and before)

Are we a big club NO

Could we be a big club.......... possibly......(depending on your definition)

Are we going to challenge this season....Yes

Good Luck tomorrow......Cmon you reds

Name 5 Slade songs.

Everyone knows C'mon feel the noise and Merry Christmas Everybody.

Everyone's heard of Slade you mean.

Nice of you to be so picky. Bit pathetic, nothing better to do?

I'll rephrase - everyones heard of Slade

I'll consider us a big club when you can ask a non-football fan who Bristol City are and they'll know.

Like the Man Utds, Liverpools, Chelseas etc.

Or maybe when we can even fill the ground for our first severn-side derby in 4 years.

We are nowhere near a big club, we're not even an established Championship side, we're the team that everyone else sees as "the team that thinks their too big for league one" like Leeds and Forest now.

Many other teams fans consider us lucky to be where we are, and I'm surprised nobodys mentioned it on here but every game so far we seem to have either

a) cleared the ball off the line,

b) had a good penalty shout against us (but thankfully never given!) or

c) had our bar/post rattled

we've a long way to go yet.

Nice of you to be so picky. Bit pathetic, nothing better to do?

I'll rephrase - everyones heard of Slade

I'll consider us a big club when you can ask a non-football fan who Bristol City are and they'll know.

Like the Man Utds, Liverpools, Chelseas etc.

Or maybe when we can even fill the ground for our first severn-side derby in 4 years.

We are nowhere near a big club, we're not even an established Championship side, we're the team that everyone else sees as "the team that thinks their too big for league one" like Leeds and Forest now.

Many other teams fans consider us lucky to be where we are, and I'm surprised nobodys mentioned it on here but every game so far we seem to have either

a) cleared the ball off the line,

b) had a good penalty shout against us (but thankfully never given!) or

c) had our bar/post rattled

we've a long way to go yet.

Why so nasty? The hatred of the last person named x seems to have rubbed off on you. I've got lots of "better" things to do, just procrastinating.

I was making a clear distinction between having heard of and knowing. Which is a massive difference. Making a point? Make it well or people will pick up on it.

Chill man I just clarified a rock group football club comparison, much better things to get worked up about :)

Big club in the Westcountry? Trying to think of a bigger club... City in my opinion is a decent size club and has got a pretty decent following considering our lack of silverware. Theres as many City fans in North Devon as there is Plymouth and Bristol isn't even in the same county as Plymouth :P

Bristol is a big City but as we saw last week with the end of the arena project it is unfortuneatly a "City that thinks like a village"! And there are too many village idiots who support glamour teams from bigger cities. So NO city are NOT a big club and if you put them in the Midlands they would be below average when compared against clubs from smaller places but where there is more of a football culture.

Archived