IGNORED

Dreaded League 1 Days

Chivs

Yesterday reminded me of the endless games we played last season where we scored and then sat back and defended for 80 minutes.

After the magnificient games we've had this season it's easy to forget those games. From memory, we seemed to retreat to the edge of our box and then defend for ever. I never could understand the tactic.

Yesterday was a repeat. Why, I cannot tell! We had an extra man for heaven's sake.

This brings me to my second point...when Cardiff went down to 10 men why didn't we change to 3-4-3? We could put McCombe up front and leave Fontaine-Carey-Orr as a back three.

Since Cardiff have lost a man they already had to rearrange their formation. I think that playing three up front, if only for a short while, would make Cardiff think again about formation.

What do you think?

Hmmm, I can see what you're saying, and on paper playing against 10 should mean we could attack more. But leaving 3 at the back would probably mean Sproule and Mcindoe having to track back more. Seeing as we got the 3 points i'm not really fussed.

Hmmm, I can see what you're saying, and on paper playing against 10 should mean we could attack more. But leaving 3 at the back would probably mean Sproule and Mcindoe having to track back more. Seeing as we got the 3 points i'm not really fussed.

I forgot to say that the result of the League 1 approach was promotion so I'm not really complaining except to say that my heart can't put up with this for another season....

1-0 is as good as 4-0.

In terms of points its just as good, after all a win is a win, but if you want to encourage the partimers back next game its important to put on as good a show as possible.Casual fans are far more likely to come back after an impressive 4-0 win than a dour 1-0 win.

In response to the 3-4-3 suggestion.That may have been a good formation to adopt at he start of the second half or certainly after City had scored but Byfield on with Orr or one of the defenders going off.Apart from Sproule, City didn't have much pace to bother the Cardiff center backs. But its all academic now of course.

Sticking McCombe up front smacks of desperation and would encourage aimless long balls. The crowd would soon get on the players' backs and confidence would drop.

It's important also to factor in the opposition. Most teams we come up against will have at least some players who are better than ours, if not all of them, and if they decide they want to raise their game then they will have long periods of domination against us.

In terms of points its just as good, after all a win is a win, but if you want to encourage the partimers back next game its important to put on as good a show as possible.Casual fans are far more likely to come back after an impressive 4-0 win than a dour 1-0 win.

GJ's job is to win, regardless of the score. Casual fans will certainly visit Ashton Gate more often if we're playing in the Premiership!

Archived