IGNORED

Young Players

reddogkev

I ask, as we seem to have a great youth team coming up through the system, with several star names to boot- i.e Plummer, Stambolsiev, Riberio to name just a few (plus Davie Artus, who seems to have been around so long, he must be about 24 now!!)

But when exactly do we play these boys at this level? And will they ever be good enough for the championship? It is a tricky question, as you do not want to break up a team playing so well for the sake of a couple of academy lads, but they have to get a look in somewhere, or they will just fade away into lower league obscurity !!!

I would hate to see some of this young talent just drift away into the footballing basements, as has happened with others.

For example, JMW - probably not good enough for championship yet, but a great prospect based on some of his wing play last season.

Guest zider_head

I think we should send them out on loan to div 1 or div 2 clubs or even conferance to play some first team footie, much better way to learn and its free experiance that would save us money in wages etc, have a 24 hour recall clause jobs a good un

If theyre good enough, theyre old enough, no?

They may seem good enough - but when do you give the rookie player a try? Is it best to do so in a team performing very well (like us presently) or when a team is just coasting in mid table? If it is the coasting option, then we may not be in that position at all this season.

The main reason I ask, is regarding Plummer, as it would be great to see him get a shot at some stage in the championship, just to see if he shows some flashes of brilliance that could point to an exciting future.

I ask, as we seem to have a great youth team coming up through the system, with several star names to boot- i.e Plummer, Stambolsiev, Riberio to name just a few (plus Davie Artus, who seems to have been around so long, he must be about 24 now!!)

But when exactly do we play these boys at this level? And will they ever be good enough for the championship? It is a tricky question, as you do not want to break up a team playing so well for the sake of a couple of academy lads, but they have to get a look in somewhere, or they will just fade away into lower league obscurity !!!

I would hate to see some of this young talent just drift away into the footballing basements, as has happened with others.

For example, JMW - probably not good enough for championship yet, but a great prospect based on some of his wing play last season.

Never. If you are doing well you should stick to the same team. If you are doing bad you need experience.

They say.

Imo young players have to be exceptional talented - like Rooney,Giggs, Micah Richards or Michael Owen to break into a first team at virtually any professional club.Players with that level of ability don't come around very often.

That means that many youngsters have to be introduced gradually.Take JMW - Johnson gave him several starts last season and unfortunately JMW faded and wasn't quite ready and so he's now out on loan getting experience in a lower league.Hopefully he'll come back to City and force his way into contention.

The CCC is a very tough division and its understandable that Johnson and many other managers are reluctant to expose inexperienced youngsters to the big time unless they are forced to by injuries/suspensions.Frustrating for the youngsters of course but in many types of employment youngsters are told 'you need experience' but how do you get experience if you can't a job because you have no experience? Its the same in football.

Should we have some of our better younger players on the bench - maybe just one sub place per game?

Also, another thought, as we are not likely to win the FA cup (though you never know!), should we give a young lad a run out against Boro? I'll use the Plummer example again, imagine if he came on and tore the boro back line to pieces - that would then drive his confidence and performance to a higher level, and give us a different option for the championship run in.

If theyre good enough, theyre old enough, no?

Exactly, as in most instances an 18 yr old youth player looking to break into the first team of a Championship or Prem club better be prepaired to wait, that or have the talent of Rooney, Ronaldo or Teves to insist hes picked.

Our crop aint bad, but they are not in the Rooney class, and never will be, not to say the cant play or wont improve, its just that we have better players in our first team who on merit deserve a starting place over them.

Exactly, as in most instances an 18 yr old youth player looking to break into the first team of a Championship or Prem club better be prepaired to wait, that or have the talent of Rooney, Ronaldo or Teves to insist hes picked.

Our crop aint bad, but they are not in the Rooney class, and never will be, not to say the cant play or wont improve, [b]its just that we have better players in our first team who on merit deserve a starting place over them.

I'm not sure that's always the case CH.

Take the example of mcAllister at left back. Early season I think it fair to say that he wasn't on top form and his discipline was more than questionable. In view of this I would question whether he deserved his staring place on merit. When McAllister was suspended I would have thought it an excellent opportunity to give Ribiero a chance. Instead, GJ juggled the back four to accomodate McCombe, who I thought looked cumbersome at Ipswich, and in doing so broke up our centre back pairing , which has been a major reason for our defensive security this season.

Ok Ribiero might have been found out by championship standards, but until he's given a chance how will we ever know how good he is. If Cotterill was 16/17 and at the club now there would be no chance of us getting £2m for him , as he would never get the chance to show his ability in the first team.

I'm not sure that's always the case CH.

Take the example of mcAllister at left back. Early season I think it fair to say that he wasn't on top form and his discipline was more than questionable. In view of this I would question whether he deserved his staring place on merit. When McAllister was suspended I would have thought it an excellent opportunity to give Ribiero a chance. Instead, GJ juggled the back four to accomodate McCombe, who I thought looked cumbersome at Ipswich, and in doing so broke up our centre back pairing , which has been a major reason for our defensive security this season.

Ok Ribiero might have been found out by championship standards, but until he's given a chance how will we ever know how good he is. If Cotterill was 16/17 and at the club now there would be no chance of us getting £2m for him , as he would never get the chance to show his ability in the first team.

good point but flawed by the fact Riberio is right footed so he should have been given a chance on the right when ORR was suspended against Leicester i was amazed he did not make the bench after the rave reviews he has had from reserve games

good point but flawed by the fact Riberio is right footed so he should have been given a chance on the right when ORR was suspended against Leicester I was amazed he did not make the bench after the rave reviews he has had from reserve games

A slight, but crucial mistake. I would have expected these academy lads to be 2 footed though.

A slight, but crucial mistake. I would have expected these academy lads to be 2 footed though.

I think the real answer to the question is they simply are not good enough or they would be playing i am sure GJ picks the best team and the best players, he runs a first team squad and at this moment in time that dose not include any youngsters . just look at the squad photo on the official site not one youngster there and that is the first team squad

I think the real answer to the question is they simply are not good enough or they would be playing i am sure GJ picks the best team and the best players, he runs a first team squad and at this moment in time that dose not include any youngsters . just look at the squad photo on the official site not one youngster there and that is the first team squad

eh? no youngsters? what apart from Plummer, Artus, Jordon Walker and Martin Slocombe?

Archived