IGNORED

Bristol City Early Days

madmax

Happy Christmas all.

I was just reading the pre-match story in a mates Evening Post (I know, your favourite paper) and noticed our biggest defeat to Barnsley was in 1913 away.

Now, with transport in those days being a horse and cart, anyone know how long it would have taken to team to get there? No wonder they lost 7-1 that day, especially if they went up on the same day!! Probably left at 1am getting there at 5pm using three horses each!!

Also, how many City fans went?

MM

Happy Christmas all.

I was just reading the pre-match story in a mates Evening Post (I know, your favourite paper) and noticed our biggest defeat to Barnsley was in 1913 away.

Now, with transport in those days being a horse and cart, anyone know how long it would have taken to team to get there? No wonder they lost 7-1 that day, especially if they went up on the same day!! Probably left at 1am getting there at 5pm using three horses each!!

MM

card school on the way was difficult then . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Happy Christmas all.

MM

Don't think 1913 public transport was quite as antiquated as you make out ! Hadn't steam been invented by then ?

I'd imagine they'd have taken the train with the fans & ret'd same day ?

Don't think 1913 public transport was quite as antiquated as you make out ! Hadn't steam been invented by then ?

No , No , No , Railtrack had shut down most of the midlands network for emergency repairs that lasted three weeks , inconvienienced everyone and it amounted to £ 3,000,000 and cost the economy of the country twice as much on that weekend . They had to go via Reading , Scarboro , Newcastle , Carlisle and Leeds .

Train was on the wrong track three times narrowly missing Stephensons rocket in the North East .

:disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

Nice to see things have moved on .

No , No , No , Railtrack had shut down most of the midlands network for emergency repairs that lasted three weeks , inconvienienced everyone and it amounted to £ 3,000,000 and cost the economy of the country twice as much on that weekend . They had to go via Reading , Scarboro , Newcastle , Carlisle and Leeds .

Train was on the wrong track three times narrowly missing Stephensons rocket in the North East .

:disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

Nice to see things have moved on .

Good point. Maybe they flew up to Hartlepool first...........

The railway companies have now admitted that London - Brighton by train was quicker in 1907 than it is in 2007!

Archived