IGNORED

Mccombe Substitution

Economou

At the time couldn't get my head round it, but after some thought I presume it was so McAllister could sort out Odejayi who was causing probs down the right.

Hey presto it worked, Kay not such a threat for last 15 mins.

Will this be the back 4 for WBA ?

I thought we were starting to look abit dodgy at the back so J decided to change things around abit and it worked.

McCombe was being done for pace by Odi, infact he was struggling the whole game. Putting Fontaine on him made sense and it also gave us more attacking options on the left with Jamie.

McCombe is still struggling in the championship, the player I least expected..

Yea, Boom Boom on a yellow, and could easily have been off already for that body check in the second half - yet another excellent sub from GJ, not to mention bring Byfield on again...

Surely deserves a go in the starting line up?

Agree Byfield deserves a go, but who do you drop?

Showunmi has just scored 2 goals and is leading the line pretty well. I feel Trundle is improving game by game and just needs that one goal and he'll be off.

For me, same team aganist West Brom, although I'd understand if Johnson played Noble instead of Trundle.

At the time couldn't get my head round it, but after some thought I presume it was so McAllister could sort out Odejayi who was causing probs down the right.

Fontaine got his fifth yeallow card today and will not play against Albions.

I think managers realise very quickly that McCombe has the turning circle of a supertanker!

He was being done for pace and his distribution under pressure is not good.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced he's up this standard, it's an area that if we're not going to use Vasko, we might consider strengthening.

I think managers realise very quickly that McCombe has the turning circle of a supertanker!

He was being done for pace and his distribution under pressure is not good.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced he's up this standard, it's an area that if we're not going to use Vasko, we might consider strengthening.

I think Mcombe has always struggled with pace. That showed last season and Wednesdays match at West Brom will be a tough test for him. West Brom have some pacy players and if he makes mistakes could end up getting into trouble!! Nevertheless hes great at heading the ball out and is useful for set pieces. Cant be long until he scores a few for us!

Agree Byfield deserves a go, but who do you drop?

I know, its an excellent position to be in. Trundle is looking better every week, shouldn't be dropped. Despite his two goals today, I'm still not convinced Enoch is good enough in the long run for this league.

Agree that you should leave a winning team be though, just don't want Byfield, who is clearly a talent, falling into the super-sub role, and then if/when he doesn't come on and score every week going out of favour.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Nobes come in with just Trunds or Enoch upfront vs WBA though.

I know, its an excellent position to be in. Trundle is looking better every week, shouldn't be dropped. Despite his two goals today, I'm still not convinced Enoch is good enough in the long run for this league.

Agree that you should leave a winning team be though, just don't want Byfield, who is clearly a talent, falling into the super-sub role, and then if/when he doesn't come on and score every week going out of favour.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Nobes come in with just Trunds or Enoch upfront vs WBA though.

What an embarrassment of riches we have !

McCombe has looked suspect for a few weeks now and is struggling with the extra pace in the league. I would say he is good cover but nothing more.

Against hoofball sides then he is fantastic, such as Watford. And also when defending a single goal lead at the death of games, then we look an awful lot more solid with McCombe on the pitch defending long balls towards the area.

But I agree he has something still to prove to be a 46 games a season player in this league.

At the time couldn't get my head round it

Thought it was an obvious choice. McCombe didn't have his best game. We looked shaky at the back and moving Fontaine into the middle was a good move.

Think it's only fair to say though that Odejayi looked a real threat when he came on, and looks to have developed into a very useful player. Well done to him, and well done to GJ for countering his threat with a defensive substitution when we were looking for a winning goal. Not always a popular move, but had an effect on the final result.

McCombe also struggled against Odejayi last season against Cheltenham - especially the game at the Gate when they really surprised us.

Credit to GJ for changing it so quickly; in the past I've been less than convinced by his substitutions but the last few weeks he's got it spot on and yesterday it won us the game.

McCombe also struggled against Odejayi last season against Cheltenham - especially the game at the Gate when they really surprised us.

Credit to GJ for changing it so quickly; in the past I've been less than convinced by his substitutions but the last few weeks he's got it spot on and yesterday it won us the game.

Could it be that Millen had some input here as well ? I'm sure they would've discussed it together.

Could it be that Millen had some input here as well ? I'm sure they would've discussed it together.

it was interesting to see Millen getting very irate yesterday. normally he's quite reserved, but something in the defence was not right and he was

getting pretty aerated.

I agree very much with the points about McCombe struggling in this league.

I am fairly surprised to be honest as from last season I thought he was the best defender we had.

I feel a little uneasy criticising any of our defence really given the team has shone and outdone how I thought we would in the first half of the season, however I'll just add my opinion anyway.

McCombe for me doesn't fit into a back four of Championship quality. The back two central defenders over this first half of the season have proven that it should be Fontaine and Carey.

McCombe struggled at Watford, he got away with some right clangers in that game, I think had Cardiff had 2 strikers his slow turning could have been highlighted a lot more, and he sure struggled saturday.

Fontaine for me has looked composed and has that bit of quality that I've always thought he had the potential to show. His confidence has come up and playing alongside Carey has matured into a terrific prospect.

The defender I always worried about was Bradley Orr.

Now he still worries me, he loses the ball at times in really critical positions and I can think of numerous goals that have resulted in mistakes from him. Ones that I wouldn't see McAllister make on the other side for example.

HOWEVER in saying that, he puts in more effort and commitment to challenges that any other defender I can think of.

In my opinion Wilson is the more cultured full back and is more confident and less likely to lose the ball going forward BUT Orr is part of a back 4 that has seen us rise to third in the Championship.

If it ain't broke you don't fix it - you just continue to work on weaknesses - I have no doubt Bradley knows when he's ###### up and is the sort of player that'd stay out on the training ground all night to sort it out.

Orr - Carey - Fontaine - McAllister. Has done the job and I'd like that to stay when 100% available.

I thought McCombe did okay today until stuck Odejayi on that is, He was getting beat for pace and srength and Johnson make a fantastic subsitution at the right time.

McCombe will hopefully improve with experience at this level, guile and concentration come with effort and coaching.His real achillies heel is his abysmal hoofball distribution, up in the air, straight down the middle, aimless and immediately surrendering possession.

That is alarming given the pace with which teams counter-attack at this level.

McCombe struggled at Watford, he got away with some right clangers in that game

He struggled against King's pace at Watford, but did such a good job against the arial power of Henderson that the Watford guy was eventually substituted.

He is better at dealing with the big awkward target men than Carey or Fontaine, but can look very vulnerable against pace.

Archived