IGNORED

Sproule

CityCiderEd

I don't agree witht the majority of the posts on this thread -

Sproule likes the ball at feet and to run at defenders and beat them for pace - rather than running into space - he is quality and will become the new Murray - top act

Makes no sense. Murray's "top season" was a result of lots of balls from Tinnion over the top into space.

I don't see why Sproule feels the need to try and beat the fullback every time, where if he moved into space he wouldnt have to.

USE THE SPACE!

I think Sproule is a good player but he needs to stop coming short all the time and actually run past his marker without the ball so the midfield can put him in behind the defense.

IMO this would be the best way he could really utilise his electric pace. Maybe Murray can tell him how it's done.

Makes no sense. Murray's "top season" was a result of lots of balls from Tinnion over the top into space.

I don't see why Sproule feels the need to try and beat the fullback every time, where if he moved into space he wouldnt have to.

USE THE SPACE!

You said it yourself......And I'm not saying LJ cant play a good ball either but Tinnion with his left peg perfected that diagonal ball. The midfield would find it extremely frustrating if everytime they had the ball they just saw the back of Sproule's shirt.

Like it or not, Players like Sproule rarely perform consistently well. They seem to be brilliant or just not so involved. I thought he was excellent against Cardiff so it was no surprise to me that he didnt perform at that level again yesterday. Wingers are very often like that, Its a difficult position to fill. Sometimes it isnt your fault that you're not involved, Its just the way the game has gone.

I would have him ahead of Wilson and Murray at the moment any day of the week, Murray in his prime? Well thats a different matter.........

Still, Id much rather have Sproule in our team than be playing against him!!

Keep up the good work Ivan!!

And he did what yesterday? - I think he needs the big boot up his backside, we know he can do it - but he isn't. BCFC carried him yesterday...

And he did what yesterday? - I think he needs the big boot up his backside, we know he can do it - but he isn't. BCFC carried him yesterday...

Read the whole post......If you're expecting him perform well every week then I think you are going to be a little dissapointed. I think we had a fair idea that he would blow hot and cold before we signed him just going on the reports from the Hibs fans.

In all honesty, this thread is a bit of nonsense IMHO. He's not been a pro three years yet and is a marvellous player on his day. He'll get better with experience but if he was more consistant, do people actually think he'd be here much longer? He's got all the attributes to be top drawer and if he was consistant he would be in the Premiership... FACT!

Sproule likes the ball at feet and to run at defenders and beat them for pace - rather than running into space

You're right - he always seems to want to beat his man rather than run down the wing. Thing is, it was blatantly obvious on

several occassions yesterday that he should have been off down the line rather than hanging back. I have no doubt he'll

come good. If you need reminding of his ability check out his hat-trick against Celtic on youtube.

I don't agree witht the majority of the posts on this thread -

Sproule likes the ball at feet and to run at defenders and beat them for pace - rather than running into space - he is quality and will become the new Murray - top act

agree, thing is people have watched murray for so many years running into space and picking up the from a long pass ball, where as sproule is a very different kinda player and likes the ball to his feet and too take people on,

he's still adjusting to our style and will get there but personally thought he had a fairly decent game and is improving all the time,

First of all I want to congratulate the players and sir GJ on a great win today. And how happy I am going in to christmas joint second, something I never thought would happen around August time. But here we are and I am fudging loving every minute of it.

The point of this post though is simple, I believe our Ivan could be one hell of a player and create sooo much more if he stayed on the wing! Also whenever Bradley has the ball Sproule is no more than 5 yards away, it is so frustrating at times, especially when you know he can do the full back for pace everytime! He must be able to hear and see the whole of the Dolman waving their arms and screaming at him to run the line. There we go mini rant over

MERRY CHRISTMAS, BRING ON THE BAGGIES!

Agree Sproule is so frustrating at times; you would think GJ would be telling him where to stand more. I think its a sprinter in a football kit. Rarely goes for the byline...

Not sure if its lack of experience or simply that he's not very bright so will he ever get it or just get lucky one game in four!? Its fair to say he only turned pro 3 years ago but that's not when he took the game of football up so he really should understand that running into space and being found by a team mate is as effective as running with the ball at your feet. Either way the boy has got something that we're all desperate for him to show so it is a nice problem to have but doesn't make it any less frustrating when we're all sat in the Dollman shouting "run the line Ivan!!!"

Read the whole post......If you're expecting him perform well every week then I think you are going to be a little dissapointed. I think we had a fair idea that he would blow hot and cold before we signed him just going on the reports from the Hibs fans.

I agree that every player has quiet games, except carey and elliott. But when this happens too often you need to tweak things a little. Maybe a start on the bench might encourage him more. Might also be a boost for Scott Murray.

agree, thing is people have watched murray for so many years running into space and picking up the from a long pass ball, where as sproule is a very different kinda player and likes the ball to his feet and too take people on,

Yeah that's clearly what he likes to do. The question is why? Running onto a ball into space is far, far easier for both the passer and the winger particularly with Sproule's pace. Why beat someone you can just run past? I think it's just an opportunity for coaching, Murray didn't operate that way at first either.

he's still adjusting to our style and will get there but personally thought he had a fairly decent game and is improving all the time,

He was pretty quiet but he's certainly played better as the season has progressed.

Again.

Sproule needs to use the space behind the full back.

When he did today, he got a few crosses along the goalmouth.

When he didnt, he was awful. Its hard enough for Byfield on his own up front, and it certainly doesnt help when Sproule spends most of the game trying to hold Orr's hand, and Wilson spends most of the game cutting inside.

The game was crying out for Scotty on one of the flanks in the second half.

Sproule seemed to give up after an hour or so as well. Didnt chase back enough when we didnt have the ball. Poor performance IMO.

one of his best performances for us so far today I'd say, some excellent running with the ball, used his pace to good effect and some excellent crossing, if only we had actually had 2 players up front today from the start, he could have easily finished today with 3 or 4 assists, but it's tough when you have one man up front to aim at with BOTH noble and johnson stood too far back from play.

one of his best performances for us so far today I'd say, some excellent running with the ball, used his pace to good effect and some excellent crossing, if only we had actually had 2 players up front today from the start, he could have easily finished today with 3 or 4 assists, but it's tough when you have one man up front to aim at with BOTH noble and johnson stood too far back from play.

:dunno:

I guess we all see things differently. He did show flashes of what he can do, but just so frustrating.

:dunno:

I guess we all see things differently. He did show flashes of what he can do, but just so frustrating.

I think the biggest frustation for me was that everything good that he did do looked waste because of this stupid 4-4-1-1 formation, if we had been playing 4-4-2 it obviously double the options to go for and we could have been 3-4 up by the time they scored.

I think the biggest frustation for me was that everything good that he did do looked waste because of this stupid 4-4-1-1 formation, if we had been playing 4-4-2 it obviously double the options to go for and we could have been 3-4 up by the time they scored.

Not sure how you can say the formation is "stupid"?? Have we not just picked up 9 out of 12 points over Christmas??

I thought Sproule looked a lot more effective today and played his part in another victory for the team.

And if it wasn't for that stupid 4411 formation we wouldn't have dominated the midfield so completely giving us so much of the ball as to make the first hour a complete stroll in the park and giving players like Sproule the freedom to attack. Play two up front and we spend a lot more time defending, it's swings and roundabouts.

I thought Sproule played very well today and put in half a dozen real quality balls and I agree it's frustrating to see them flash across the six yard box with no one attacking them - but I think a large part of that is down to chopping and changing personnel and style up front a little too often.

Not sure how you can say the formation is "stupid"?? Have we not just picked up 9 out of 12 points over Christmas??

I thought Sproule looked a lot more effective today and played his part in another victory for the team.

we didn't actually play that formation against Barnsley or actually even West Brom, so you could almost say in the last 2 games we have played it we have got 6points out of 6.

The problem I constantly find with the formation is the player playing in it and some of their position, we use our wingers to create alot of crosses into the box, but as our biggest problem was today, there was no one in the box to get them apart from Byfield, time and time again Wingers would get the ball in especailly in the 2nd half and Byfield was alone in the box and for all his ability can't reach everything,

Hopefully with the signing of Nick Carle we will have finally have a creative midfielder of good enough ability meaning that we won't have to waste playing two midfielders in Johnson and Noble to do the job of one decent player...........then meaning we can have two up front.

if we had 2 up front today from the start the chances are by the time Cov scored we could have been 3/4 goals up and out of site, as our goal difference and goals scored is showing we haven't scored enough this season, people can look at the forwards at the club and moan, however how many times are you seeing forwards missing easy chances? we aren't the biggest problem is the lack of creativity from centre midfield and the fact we are having to play one up front to include and extra midfielder.........Johnson has backed this up by Signing this Midfielder!

And if it wasn't for that stupid 4411 formation we wouldn't have dominated the midfield so completely giving us so much of the ball as to make the first hour a complete stroll in the park and giving players like Sproule the freedom to attack. Play two up front and we spend a lot more time defending, it's swings and roundabouts.

I thought Sproule played very well today and put in half a dozen real quality balls and I agree it's frustrating to see them flash across the six yard box with no one attacking them - but I think a large part of that is down to chopping and changing personnel and style up front a little too often.

that's the thing, it's easy to control a midfield when you have an extra man in there, however with decent midfield players at the club we should be able to do this anyway, there is no doubting the ability of players such as Elliott, McIndoe and Sproule.......however Johnson and Noble in their own right are the weak links in the team, although we are dominating midfield in games, we still aren't scoring enough goals to kill teams off in this division, and it's not like forwards are missing chances, Sproule and McIndoe are putting decent quality balls into the box however in open play, you have one man upfront which makes things difficult especially when you have so called "attacking midfielders" such as Johnson and Noble who have decent creative ability but very little goal scoring ability between them. 2 goals between them this since? when their defensive midfield collegue in Elliot has 4 now?

HOPEFULLY........Nicky Carle will be the answer and we can get back to 4-4-2

that's the thing, it's easy to control a midfield when you have an extra man in there, however with decent midfield players at the club we should be able to do this anyway, there is no doubting the ability of players such as Elliott, McIndoe and Sproule.......however Johnson and Noble in their own right are the weak links in the team, although we are dominating midfield in games, we still aren't scoring enough goals to kill teams off in this division, and it's not like forwards are missing chances, Sproule and McIndoe are putting decent quality balls into the box however in open play, you have one man upfront which makes things difficult especially when you have so called "attacking midfielders" such as Johnson and Noble who have decent creative ability but very little goal scoring ability between them. 2 goals between them this since? when their defensive midfield collegue in Elliot has 4 now?

HOPEFULLY........Nicky Carle will be the answer and we can get back to 4-4-2

Noble playing in the hole is about a lot more than just having a man over, it changes our style and we start playing real quality football with one touch passes and through balls instead of a more direct fashion (which doesn't IMO suit our personnel). This makes it far easier for the wingers to get service into the box at the price of us having one less player in there. Noble also gives the ball away very little even in advanced positions so we get periods of sustained pressure which we see much less of in a 442.

It's swings and roundabouts, signing a new midfielder will not change the way the different system works nor will it make us play like that in a 442 even if he's significantly better than both of them. I doubt very much he's been brought in as the first choice partner for Elliott anyway, I suspect GJ was telling the truth when he said he will increase competition across the whole midfield. He's also a left footer from what I saw which gives McIndoe some real competition for the first time.

Again.

When he didnt, he was awful. Its hard enough for Byfield on his own up front, and it certainly doesnt help when Sproule spends most of the game trying to hold Orr's hand, and Wilson spends most of the game cutting inside.

Sproule seemed to give up after an hour or so as well. Didnt chase back enough when we didnt have the ball. Poor performance IMO.

Not so He had a great game today. Cov's left back will still be untying himself tomorrow.

Again.

Mine too, two very good crosses, is that enough though? Perhaps with all the recent upheavels he has faced recently a short break might serve him well?

I thought he put in some good crosses and made some very good runs yesterday, but his biggest letdown was that he seemed to go missing when we were under pressure and doesnt help out the defence enough.

When he is charging down the wing taking players on he looks class.

When we are defending he is no where to be seen. I think he will sort this out (or GJ will) and will be an excellent player for us over time..

Defending? Well he can't tackle and doesn't seem to want to either. Also, his sense of positioning is poor. He doesn't seem to know where he should be and often doesn't stay wide enough to create space and opportunity.

However, when he does attack the forward, push the ball 10 yards and go chasing it, it does transform the game and his contribution. IF he can just improve his delivery, City may score many more goals! He needs to whip the ball in with pace

However, when he does attack the forward, push the ball 10 yards and go chasing it, it does transform the game and his contribution. IF he can just improve his delivery, City may score many more goals! He needs to whip the ball in with pace

He did that at least half a dozen times yesterday.

Sproule has got better and better as the season has gone on IMO, he still has a way to go but people should bear in mind that this is his first real full season. He played mainly off the bench for Hibs and he was playing in NI before that which might as well be downs league.

Archived