IGNORED

Noble - Where Now?

bh_red

David Noble.

Bristol City's Engima.

There is no doubting that Noble is a technically a very good footballer and as once stated by Gazza, tecnically one of the best players he's ever played with, however despite his undoubted ability he's become very much of a "luxury" player that can only really be fitted into city team, which involves changing our formation.

On a number of times this season and last some of our best performances have come when he has been employed in the "hole" however as in games such as plymouth and ipswich, his performances have been "patchy" the constant issue of his fitness, stamina and his inability to last much more than an hour, just doesn't go away and understandably so.

However the interesting thing is, talking everything else into consideration, Noble is one of many at the club who is out of contract at the end of the season? question is? should he get a new deal? should we risk allowing him leave at the end of the season or Should we cash in a player who long term we can all admit isn't the long term answer.

Personally my view is, see what interest there is in him during the transfer window and if possible try to get the best fee possible for him and long to sign a quality central midfield replacement for him?

views?

David Noble.

Bristol City's Engima.

There is no doubting that Noble is a technically a very good footballer and as once stated by Gazza, tecnically one of the best players he's ever played with, however despite his undoubted ability he's become very much of a "luxury" player that can only really be fitted into city team, which involves changing our formation.

On a number of times this season and last some of our best performances have come when he has been employed in the "hole" however as in games such as plymouth and ipswich, his performances have been "patchy" the constant issue of his fitness, stamina and his inability to last much more than an hour, just doesn't go away and understandably so.

However the interesting thing is, talking everything else into consideration, Noble is one of many at the club who is out of contract at the end of the season? question is? should he get a new deal? should we risk allowing him leave at the end of the season or Should we cash in a player who long term we can all admit isn't the long term answer.

Personally my view is, see what interest there is in him during the transfer window and if possible try to get the best fee possible for him and long to sign a quality central midfield replacement for him?

views?

Noble is a fantastic footballer. And it was clearly noticeable that when he came on against WBA we started to play a lot more football....and looked a lot more dangerous IMO.

He is also in my opinion our best play maker and creater of chances. TRUE, there are fitness queries and he has poorer games now and again, but then again so does everyone in the team.

We also seem to play better when he is playing in the hole, and the rest of the team seem to react to this and play a lot more of the ball on the floor....rather than just hoofing it it at Trundles chest. The dilema I have is who we leave out if he does play. Should we play Trundle, Byfield or Showunumi as the lone striker?

I'm a big fan of Trundle, and although he hasn't scored many goals(what he was bought for essentially), his effort and hold up play has been very good. On the basis of this and Byfields scoring record, it very difficult.

Ultimately, Noble should stay as he is key component of the team.

It would be quite frankly daft to let him go because a lot of our football often flows through him and takes the pressure of Lee Johnson.

David Noble is our most creative central midfield player and he also has the happy knack of making us different and more diffcult to play against.

He also brings the best out of others, particularly LJ & ME.

The 4-5-1 makes us a more solid attacking force although he could also be "accommodated" in a 3-5-2 and we have the players to play it.Unfortuneatley that would mean dropping one if not two of GJ's summer signings in Sproule, who has been largely ineffective and McIndoe who works hard and has bagged a few goals, although he might be able to play lefy wing back.

Something like:

.......BASSO.....................

...CAREY......VASKO...FONTAINE.................

WILSON....ELLIOTT...SKUSE........NOBLE..................MCALLISTER.......

........TRUNDLE..BYFIELD...............

SUBS

WEALE

JOHNSON

MURRAY

MCINDOE

BROOKER

To be honest, there are plenty of options and we need to utilise our squad.Orr & McCombe have been looking a bit exposed over the last few games and perhaps it's time for some others to get their chance?

Noble is absolutely key, barring or even including new signings.

disagree, he has shown nothing this season to prove that. Not sure what you are basing that on

• Sheff Utd home
  • Norwich away
  • Soton (Home) We couldn't hold on to the ball when he left the field.

First half at Hull until McAllisters sending off he was MOM and we looked great.

There are many others.

We're just a better team with Noble in the side although, like most of the other players, he isn't outstanding every week.

• Sheff Utd home
  • Norwich away
  • Soton (Home) We couldn't hold on to the ball when he left the field.

First half at Hull until McAllisters sending off he was MOM and we looked great.

There are many others.

We're just a better team with Noble in the side although, like most of the other players, he isn't outstanding every week.

he's never going to play on a regular basis though, GJ prides his team on fitness, fact is he ain't fit enough for a start.

he's never going to play on a regular basis though, GJ prides his team on fitness, fact is he ain't fit enough for a start.

Couple of questions:

1.Why did GJ sign him?

2.Why was he fit enough the season before last when we played some great football and we had a terrific run over the last 20+ games of the season?

As a statement of fact-He's plenty fit enough because he's plenty good enough.We'll need to be far fitter when Noble's not in the side because we have to defend a lot more without the ball.

We have to keep Noble. The problem is that when we play him, as stated elsewhere, we have to play him in the hole. I like it when we do because it forces the rest of the team to play a passing game and brings the best out of them. We have played our best football with him in the team, and that is no coincidence.

What I would like to see if GJ use the January window to bring in another player capable of playing that role so that we can play with someone in the 'hole' regardless of whether Noble is fit or not.

It's hard caus i like Noble alot but can you justify giving him a two/three year deal?

If you can't, he should be let go at the end of the season.

I'd like Enoch and Byfield to stay but i can't see past 1 year deals for the likes of them. Same with Noble. Prove yourself and get another year.

Guest churchill gaffer

I feel very sorry for David Noble!

What a fantastic player!

It is obvious to everybody, GJ has no plans for him in his team!

He would be in my team week after week.

If I was David Noble, I would be knocking on GJ's door and saying very politly.

"Put me on the Transfer list, it's obvious you don't want me"

Other teams would grab him straight away.

I would be gutted to see him leave. But I think he has to look after himself.

I really don't know what he has done wrong?

In my opinion he has looked very poor this season and unfit, not a big johnson fan but would rather have lee in the team any day than nobes.

Don't get me wrong I still think nobes can cut it in this league, felt he had a good game agaisnt sheff united, but most games he has struggled!

Being kicked out? Is he leaving the club? Have I missed something?

he's like many others is out of contract at end of season? do we let him leave for nothing at end of season? or give a player with his fitness record another 2/3 years despite not fully convincing yet at this level?

got to be honest, yes there was a couple of games where he has impressed, but there have been others where it's been a waste almost having him on the pitch, I

Ipswich away, plymouth away - right subbed at or around half time, Ipswich at home (think) did well first half, but useless in 2nd half and he couldn't be subbed quick enough.

looked good in league 1, but at this level he just physically can't handle it, it seems, 2 games in a week just seems too much for him

decent player, but very over-rated by some on here, much prefer LJ in that position.

plus 4-4-2 is the best formation not a negative 4-5-1

to be honest, wouldn't be overly shocked to see him leave in jan, if we get an decent offer, 400-500k and I'd rip there arm off!

Couple of questions:

1.Why did GJ sign him?

based on his ability on the games that he watched or had him watched will playing in league 2 for boston, however you can't tell everything about a player until he is fully signed

2.Why was he fit enough the season before last when we played some great football and we had a terrific run over the last 20+ games of the season?

because at that level he is a good enough player, and could manage at times to coast through games, at this level you can't carry anyone and it is alot more noticeable if someone isn't pulling their wait as it has shown with many games, last season he was also subbed quite a bit too, it's also due to the amount of international breaks at this level, there is a HECK of alot more midweek games,

As a statement of fact-He's plenty fit enough because he's plenty good enough.We'll need to be far fitter when Noble's not in the side because we have to defend a lot more without the ball.

so why on soo many games this season, in the 2nd half of games, does he not control games to the same extent as in the first? it's a constant problem with him, FITNESS and STAMINA are his problem

We have to keep Noble. The problem is that when we play him, as stated elsewhere, we have to play him in the hole. I like it when we do because it forces the rest of the team to play a passing game and brings the best out of them. We have played our best football with him in the team, and that is no coincidence.

What I would like to see if GJ use the January window to bring in another player capable of playing that role so that we can play with someone in the 'hole' regardless of whether Noble is fit or not.

I think that about sums it up for me - we play better with Noble in the team because of the formation and the way it makes us play. Noble has shown little this season to think that he can play that role week in week out for 90 mins/game, so bringing someone else in who can play the same role gives us more options, means we can stick with the same formation and don't have to change it around all the time.

I feel very sorry for David Noble!

What a fantastic player!

It is obvious to everybody, GJ has no plans for him in his team!

He would be in my team week after week.

If I was David Noble, I would be knocking on GJ's door and saying very politly.

"Put me on the Transfer list, it's obvious you don't want me"

Other teams would grab him straight away.

I would be gutted to see him leave. But I think he has to look after himself.

I really don't know what he has done wrong?

He's the best footballer at the club IMHO but isn't being given a run in the side. I know people will throw the fitness questions out there but how's a player meant to get fitter without playing consistently for 70+ minutes a game?

In GJ's first season, him and Russell were outstanding in nearly getting us to the play-off's yet there were no questions or doubts over Noble's fitness then because he playing 90mins, week in, week out. Then LJ came in and it's all been downhill for him as he can't get a sniff. We've played our best football this season when he's been in the team and he warrants a one-year deal at the end of the season otherwise some other Championship team will pick up an absolute steal come the summer.

I think that about sums it up for me - we play better with Noble in the team because of the formation and the way it makes us play. Noble has shown little this season to think that he can play that role week in week out for 90 mins/game, so bringing someone else in who can play the same role gives us more options, means we can stick with the same formation and don't have to change it around all the time.

agree, there is no underestimating that the change in formation works and having a player in that role is ideal, but don't believe Noble is the answer, think the ideal of playing Trundle in that role was a good one, plus he has understandably more of a attacking threat, if Nobes could do the full 90 then GREAT, but time and time again he hasn't been capable of doing it, whether it's down to rumoured lifestyle choices god-knows but despite us playing some of our best football in 4-5-1 this season, GJ has gone away from it in recent weeks, no doubt due to the fitness and stamina issues of DN

He's the best footballer at the club IMHO but isn't being given a run in the side. I know people will throw the fitness questions out there but how's a player meant to get fitter without playing consistently for 70+ minutes a game?

In GJ's first season, him and Russell were outstanding in nearly getting us to the play-off's yet there were no questions or doubts over Noble's fitness then because he playing 90mins, week in, week out. Then LJ came in and it's all been downhill for him as he can't get a sniff. We've played our best football this season when he's been in the team and he warrants a one-year deal at the end of the season otherwise some other Championship team will pick up an absolute steal come the summer.

it's been months though since he came back from injury though, players get fitter through training and through reserve games both of which he has played in, the problem is, soo many times this season the last 20mins of decided the result of games one way or another.

if you look back to the ipswich game at home, in the second half Ipswich started on fire and were bossing the games, after 10mins of the 2nd half, it seemed quite clear that Noble was knackered and just wasn't having any effect in the game, what would you do?

a) leave him on despite not influencing the game and risk the result? but in the long term he might have got a bit fitter?

or

b) sub him asap for a player who can come on and actually make a difference to the game and make sure we get the right result?

personally I would have done B? EVERY SINGLE TIME, regardless of the player?

in the end Johnson did C - left him on for 20mins of the 2nd half and then subbed him, despite the fact he was knackered.

agree, there is no underestimating that the change in formation works and having a player in that role is ideal, but don't believe Noble is the answer, think the ideal of playing Trundle in that role was a good one, plus he has understandably more of a attacking threat, if Nobes could do the full 90 then GREAT, but time and time again he hasn't been capable of doing it, whether it's down to rumoured lifestyle choices god-knows but despite us playing some of our best football in 4-5-1 this season, GJ has gone away from it in recent weeks, no doubt due to the fitness and stamina issues of DN

good point, but maybe a replacement for Noble would be enough to push him on to increased fitness. I too like the idea of Trundle in that role - in terms of technical ability he beats Noble in my opinion and seems fitter and more aware of what's going on around him. Shame for Noble as he did play well last season, but he needs to do something to get back to that standard and more!

good point, but maybe a replacement for Noble would be enough to push him on to increased fitness. I too like the idea of Trundle in that role - in terms of technical ability he beats Noble in my opinion and seems fitter and more aware of what's going on around him. Shame for Noble as he did play well last season, but he needs to do something to get back to that standard and more!

that's the thing, he did great in getting us up, but it's the half way point now and a number of people are looking at players and saying....are they actually up to this level......CONSTANTLY? I'd say Noble isn't one of them, either way being out of contract at the end of the season, he is one player with EVERYTHING to prove, even his biggest fan can point to only 3/4 games where he has actually been excellent and showed anything like the performances of last season, at this level, there can be NO PASSENGERS

Correct and one of GJ's dilemas is at what point does he do that, a signing that will increase the pressure on our central midfielders to perform.........all of them!

Absolute crap..

You don't even play!

:innocent06:

Very good :worship2: and that's one thing I can guarantee won't change! Of course, Gary's asked me-nay, begged me, but I'm afraid the old back injury forces me to refuse.

It's hard caus i like Noble alot but can you justify giving him a two/three year deal?

Actually that's a great point-Look at our squad and then imagine what happens if we make the play offs, get lucky and get in the Prem! Be honest, how many of the existing squad would you want to keep, not counting Academy Lads who might make it? I've thought about it and I couldn't get past THREE!!

If you can't, he should be let go at the end of the season.

See above

1. What was the last team to go up playing 3-5-2?

Fulham played some great stuff under Tigana and we played 3-5-2 at Blackpool last season under GJ and used it when we got promoted under John Ward on occassions.

2. Do you not trust Gj's 4-4-2 system?

It's not a question of Trust-For example, with LC & LF fit a flat back four could well be our best defence-however, without them, McCombe & Vasko may not be as sound an option or perhaps McCombe or Vasko would be better in a three with Carey & Fontaine alongside them when they are available again? We have options in the squad and we should use them, particularly when we face difficult opposition like WBA of if players have a dip in form.

Bristol Boy gets a quid every time he mentions 3-5-2

It's a tenner

he's like many others is out of contract at end of season? do we let him leave for nothing at end of season? or give a player with his fitness record another 2/3 years despite not fully convincing yet at this level?

If we're voting I'd give him a contract although if GJ brings in 3 or 4 quality players in January, who knows who'll be surplus to requirements?

got to be honest, yes there was a couple of games where he has impressed, but there have been others where it's been a waste almost having him on the pitch,

The same can be said for Sproule, Enoch, Byfield, Trundle, Vasko, McCombe, Murray, McAllister, Orr, Johnson........

Ipswich away, (2-0 down, got beat six so that change didn't work) plymouth away - right subbed at or around half time, Ipswich at home (think) did well first half, but useless in 2nd half and he couldn't be subbed quick enough.

And the second half against Ipswich at home we got battered and just hung on.

looked good in league 1, but at this level he just physically can't handle it, it seems, 2 games in a week just seems too much for him

decent player, but very over-rated by some on here, much prefer LJ in that position.

LJ's never played in the hole

We don't play 4-5-1 it's 4-4-1-1 and if it's negative, why do we look better going forward and score goals when we play it? Rotherham & Carlisle 3-1 Sheff Utd 2 -0, Norwich 3-1??

If we're voting I'd give him a contract although if GJ brings in 3 or 4 quality players in January, who knows who'll be surplus to requirements? so based on Noble so far this season, you would give him a new contract? UTTER BONKERS

got to be honest, yes there was a couple of games where he has impressed, but there have been others where it's been a waste almost having him on the pitch,

The same can be said for Sproule, Enoch, Byfield, Trundle, Vasko, McCombe, Murray, McAllister, Orr, Johnson........ dodging the subject

Ipswich away, (2-0 down, got beat six so that change didn't work) plymouth away - right subbed at or around half time, Ipswich at home (think) did well first half, but useless in 2nd half and he couldn't be subbed quick enough. so we lost 4nil in the 2nd half because Noble was subbed, nothing to do with Orr being sent off and Carey injured, it was the right decision as he wasn't performing

And the second half against Ipswich at home we got battered and just hung on. we got battered early in the 2nd half, but we improved once he was removed

LJ's never played in the hole

We don't play 4-5-1 it's 4-4-1-1 and if it's negative, why do we look better going forward and score goals when we play it? Rotherham & Carlisle 3-1 Sheff Utd 2 -0, Norwich 3-1??

same thing, pedantic response, great so you have pointed to 4 games it worked well and we have scored goals, what about the others where we haven't and it didn't work didn't we play 4-5-1 at ipswich? look what happened there???

Noble is a fantastic footballer. And it was clearly noticeable that when he came on against WBA we started to play a lot more football....and looked a lot more dangerous IMO.

He is also in my opinion our best play maker and creater of chances. TRUE, there are fitness queries and he has poorer games now and again, but then again so does everyone in the team.

We also seem to play better when he is playing in the hole, and the rest of the team seem to react to this and play a lot more of the ball on the floor....rather than just hoofing it it at Trundles chest. The dilema I have is who we leave out if he does play. Should we play Trundle, Byfield or Showunumi as the lone striker?

I'm a big fan of Trundle, and although he hasn't scored many goals(what he was bought for essentially), his effort and hold up play has been very good. On the basis of this and Byfields scoring record, it very difficult.

Ultimately, Noble should stay as he is key component of the team.

It would be quite frankly daft to let him go because a lot of our football often flows through him and takes the pressure of Lee Johnson.

That is spot on. Second half our midfield was over run. LJ went AWOL, but the minute Noble came on, he started making in a impact, the passing was better, LJ, was MUCH better, and we looked a lot better. Too late by that time, shame it wasnt done earlier. Maybe it would have been closer.

Archived