IGNORED

Changing Of The Record...

mozo

Can't wait for two more wins - which I expect in January - so that we can finally forget about the 'magic' 50 points mark (although some will still harp on about 52 points!!).

I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when all City fans are freed from this hyper-cautious burden so that we can all focus on what is essentially more likely: a push for the play-offs (if not more).

I'm not predicting promotion, but at least lets all forget about safety, and discuss the possibilities of a hugely respectable finish.

FREE YOUR MINDS!!

Also, there were some real knee-jerk reactions to the Brom game. We've only lost five games, and need very little improving.

City are virtually safe already but I haven't thought about avoiding relegation since about late October and now I'm more concerned about staying in the top six.The first thing I did atfer todays result was look to see how many points we are ahead of 7th place.

Thats a reflection of just how far City have come.

The moment the attitude changes, people will start expecting us to get into the playoffs the whole positive atmosphere around the club will evaporate.

Hope is fine, but some City fans have trouble telling the difference.

I don't see how clinging on to this 50/52 point mark will make anyone any more balanced.

We'll be there soon and everyone will have to reassess their expectations.

Sod 'hope' - we're talking about reality: a fight is on for the playoff positions, and every point is gloriously contributory.

City are virtually safe already but I haven't thought about avoiding relegation since about late October and now I'm more concerned about staying in the top six.The first thing I did atfer todays result was look to see how many points we are ahead of 7th place.

Thats a reflection of just how far City have come.

Indeed. I look for the results of our top six rivals, and for the lead over seventh. Results went our way yet again, and the fact is, we're consistent performers compared to Charltom, Ipswich et al (is it 5 wins from 7 now?).

I accept that with bad fortune and some sort of collapse we could still finish in the bottom half, but anyone with common sense will forget about relegation.

'tis true there were many knee-jerk reactions. Apparently, we would collapse without Cap'n Carey at the helm. Now everything is fine and dandy.

Another clean sheet in fact, away from home. A team packed with Johnson signings showed their mettle. Maybe McCombe and LJ will be given a break over the next few days?

I'm pretty sure no one truly believes that from this position there is a chance we will get relegated, however there is nothing wrong with being cautious, the fact that everyone has realistic expectations this season is probably allowing the players to play pressure free, people should also be aware that in 21 years of watching City I've never known us get so much luck.

City have been fantastic so far this season, credit to Gary Johnson and all of the players, lets see where the next couple of months takes us then go from there, one thing that is certain is that the club deserves support from the Bristol public more than ever and I've been dissapointed with numbers and noise, As supporters lets hope we up our game for the second half of the season, and who knows what might happen!!!

You Reds!

people should also be aware that in 21 years of watching City I've never known us get so much luck.

Has crossed my mind, but I believe in the 'make your own luck' philosophy!!

I believe that seven or eight more wins will guarantee a top half finish, and reckon we'll see at least two of those in January (with winnable games in February also).

Taking us to the start of March

Coventry (H)

Colchester (H)

Palace (A)

Blackpool (H)

QPR (A)

Wednesday (H)

Scumthorpe (A)

Palace (H)

Colchester (A)

I can't see us not picking up the home wins, and the away draws for 19 points here. That leaves us on 63 points with March and April still to play. 12 games to play.Say 75 points for 6th place (seems about average) That would be a point a game.

I know that its still 9 predicted results to get us to that March, and it might not go all our way (but then again might go even better), its just nice how when your sitting joint second, with 25 games played; how nicely predictions can start to look!

people should also be aware that in 21 years of watching City I've never known us get so much luck.

I agree with that upto a point but at Ipswich City's luck abandoned them utterly as the result showed.

Burnley hit the woodwork 3 times today but is that good luck for City or just poor finshing?

Coventry (H)

Colchester (H)

Palace (A)

Blackpool (H)

QPR (A)

Wednesday (H)

Scumthorpe (A)

Palace (H)

Colchester (A)

I don't fancy playing Palace right now, but the rest should see some wins. Momentum is what we need.

Coventry (H)

Colchester (H)

Palace (A)

Blackpool (H)

QPR (A)

Wednesday (H)

Scumthorpe (A)

Palace (H)

Colchester (A)

I can't see us not picking up the home wins, and the away draws for 19 points here. That leaves us on 63 points with March and April still to play. 12 games to play.Say 75 points for 6th place (seems about average) That would be a point a game.

I know that its still 9 predicted results to get us to that March, and it might not go all our way (but then again might go even better), its just nice how when your sitting joint second, with 25 games played; how nicely predictions can start to look!

I've been thinking along the same lines the last couple of weeks, these games (I would add Hull at the end too) are huge for us, nothing there that really scares us so the points we pick up within these games will set up a very interesting finish.

Yes it is time to stop looking at the bottom three, 12 wins in the bag at this stage is safe, two more needed but with 21 chances to go.... looks like Ipswich will lose away again so the gap to 7th is seven.

I agree with that upto a point but at Ipswich City's luck abandoned them utterly as the result showed.

Burnley hit the woodwork 3 times today but is that good luck for City or just poor finshing?

Not so much luck for City but a great manager and a great team assembled at relatively little cost compared to some of the clubs we've been playing.

Rejoice I say (and I don't want to sound like Maggie Thatcher), as this is a fantastic time to be a City supporter, especially after our great victory away at Burnley today. Third in the Championship with 25 games played - and many of us thought we'd do well just to stave off relegation at the beginning of this season !!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Yes it is time to stop looking at the bottom three, 12 wins in the bag at this stage is safe, two more needed but with 21 chances to go.... looks like Ipswich will lose away again so the gap to 7th is seven.

Good to hear a balanced view!

A top half finish will be great, play-offs a dream...

Not so much luck for City but a great manager and a great team assembled at relatively little cost compared to some of the clubs we've been playing.

Rejoice I say (and I don't want to sound like Maggie Thatcher), as this is a fantastic time to be a City supporter, especially after our great victory away at Burnley today. Third in the Championship with 25 games played - and many of us thought we'd do well just to stave off relegation at the beginning of this season !!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

"The key to The Championship, will open the door to The Premiership!"

:winner_third_h4h:

Can't wait for two more wins - which I expect in January - so that we can finally forget about the 'magic' 50 points mark (although some will still harp on about 52 points!!).

I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when all City fans are freed from this hyper-cautious burden so that we can all focus on what is essentially more likely: a push for the play-offs (if not more).

I'm not predicting promotion, but at least lets all forget about safety, and discuss the possibilities of a hugely respectable finish.

FREE YOUR MINDS!!

Also, there were some real knee-jerk reactions to the Brom game. We've only lost five games, and need very little improving.

Good to have four out of the next five matches at home Middlesbrough included after the toughest part of the season. Will also guarantee us a good playing surface staying down south.

WELL DONE MATES!

Imagine if we had conceded six goals in the last two games...drawing against Cardiff and losing at home to lowly QPR while conceding four goals in the process...would we expect to go up? No I don't think so. So why should Watford finish above us then. I think second place is achievable, never mind the play-offs. But it is one step at a time and let's just concentrate on beating Coventry at home then testing oyurselves against one of the sides we could be playing next season!

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments made.

City under the stewardship of Lansdown/Johnson is the best we have ever had and with all respect, I acknowledge the great partnerships that we have had in the past in Dolman/Dicks and back into the Fifty’s that of the Dolman /Beasley era.

Just to be in the current position is a fantastic achievement given that no one outside of Club or Fans could have hoped for such a performance over the first half of the season, this is a tribute to SL, GJ and KM and all the hard work by the backroom staff. They have built on the platform prepared by last season’s promotion and appear to be going in the right direction using the experience as a springboard for continued success this season.

Before we get too excited though, there is still a very long way to go. Still, 21 games remain and we have to face form-side Crystal Palace twice. To maintain the current momentum I feel we have to take more points off of Palace than they take from us in the games, I really feel that these two matches could now become the pivotal point in our season.

It’s now hard to see past WBA as auto promotion contenders. We obviously lack both the overall quality or strength in depth to seriously challenge them and that compared to teams that have gained auto promotion in recent seasons. There is of course still one auto slot up for grabs, and it seems a strange league this year, no one appears to have broken away, as some have already by this stage in previous seasons i.e. Birmingham 06/07 when they had 56 points at the same stage (the International weekend appears to have led to one game less being played this season than any of the past 3 seasons) and Sunderland who hit a poor patch had 40 pts after 26 games, subsequently Sunderland grabbed 48 pts from their last 20 games to finish as champions whilst Birmingham held on to the 2nd auto spot with 30pts from their last 20 games.

Prior to last season, Reading had 65 pts in their 26 games in season 05/06 in what was a record-breaking season for the Royals (W20, D5 and L1), Sheff Utd who went up with them automatically at seasons end had 56 pts after 26 games. The run-ins during 2006 for both clubs were excellent, Reading took 41 pts in their last 20 games whilst the Blades took 34 points. It probably goes without saying that to average 2pts per game over the course of the run-in makes it virtually impossible for any chasing teams to have lived with Reading and where Sheff. Utd took on average a few less points, catching either of them would have been very difficult (Watford finished 3rd with 81pts).

In season 04/05 Sunderland went up as champions with 94pts gaining 42 pts in their last 20 matches, whilst Wigan took the remaining auto-spot with 40pts from their last 20 to go up together with 94 and 87 point totals respectively.

I highlighted the stats (any errors are my own of course) just to point out how difficult and how we would need to do to get out of the CCC in one go – it’s a huge ask. But, as you can see from the stats, many of the teams behind us have a stiffer task, unless the auto spots are gained with considerably smaller totals than in recent seasons. Hence why I think the games against Palace are all-important at least to clinch a play-off place.

It’s do-able, but it’s going to be tough.

Ix

Archived