IGNORED

Were We Good?

WesM

I'm not wishing to sound a negative nancy, neither do I want to take anything away from the lads performance today. I thought we played some good stuff today for large spells of the game, however, I have to say I thought Coventry were one of the worst sides we've seen at Ashton Gate this season.

They struggled to string 3 passes together and offered very little in the first half apart from a couple of set pieces. After a probable rant at half-time by Dowie, they didn't appear to get any better until Tabb and Thornton came on, then they looked a completely different side in that spell when they got their goal. If Mifsud is worth £5m on that showing, then I'm Weight Watcher of 2007.

They way we kept the ball at the end was excellent and a good start to 2008.

I thought they were poor but we wasn't much better than them really. We did what was needed to win the game. An opportunity was wasted after our first to go on and improve our GD, They were there for the taking in the first.

I'm not wishing to sound a negative nancy, neither do I want to take anything away from the lads performance today. I thought we played some good stuff today for large spells of the game, however, I have to say I thought Coventry were one of the worst sides we've seen at Ashton Gate this season.

They struggled to string 3 passes together and offered very little in the first half apart from a couple of set pieces. After a probable rant at half-time by Dowie, they didn't appear to get any better until Tabb and Thornton came on, then they looked a completely different side in that spell when they got their goal. If Mifsud is worth £5m on that showing, then I'm Weight Watcher of 2007.

They way we kept the ball at the end was excellent and a good start to 2008.

The worst side I have seen at AG this season were Leicester and they actually beat us on the day!! Coventry did their best to be as poor as them first half with Route 1 football that was simply awful. We should have been out of sight at half time and that has been our achilles heel for a while - we don't finish teams off. Second half they brought on the two smaller blokes and showed that they can play a bit of football.

Coventry were poor in patches and City played very well in patches and should have been outa sight by half-time and were cruising at 2-0 untill Coventry made two subs and the blond guy that came on livened them up tremedously.He made quite an impact.At the same time City let up a bit and eventually let in a soft goal which made the last part of the game more tense that it should have been.

Coventry were poor in patches and City played very well in patches and should have been outa sight by half-time and were cruising at 2-0 untill Coventry made two subs and the blond guy that came on livened them up tremedously.He made quite an impact.At the same time City let up a bit and eventually let in a soft goal which made the last part of the game more tense that it should have been.

Got to learn , and I'm sure we will , to be more clinical . Need to finish off teams . We can't deal with tense , heart stressed enough now . :tounge: :tounge:

For the first hour we were very, very good and made Coventry look poor by starving them of the ball. They looked punchless and didn't seem to know how to compete. Then they scored against the run of play and it seemed to wake them up.

Adebola and the albino they brought on were the only ones that looked useful to me.

I thought we looked very good throughout especially considering we were effectively playing with 10 men for 95minutes. We need a new back up to McIndoe, Wilson didn't have any idea what to do all game.

Got to learn , and I'm sure we will , to be more clinical . Need to finish off teams . We can't deal with tense , heart stressed enough now . :tounge: :tounge:

Dead right - but we don't have the players to be clinical - a clinical striker and midfielder needed :fingerscrossed:

I thought we looked very good throughout especially considering we were effectively playing with 10 men for 95minutes. We need a new back up to McIndoe, Wilson didn't have any idea what to do all game.

How strange.

I thought Wilson had a very good game today. Maybe be we went to different games!

Be interesting to see if he plays in the next game. :mellow:

I love the way we all interpret the game differently, I thought Wilson had a brilliant game :dunno:

Wilson didn't have any idea what to do all game.

"Didn't have any idea what to do???"

I think you must have been asleep during the first half, I thought he was excellent.

Admittedly he was quieter in the second half, but considering it was his first game in a long while, overall I thought he did OK.

Yeah I thought so

As you say, we interpret the game differently.

I thought he did brilliantly first 20 - 30 minutes, then disappeared from the touchline too much for the rest of the first half.

Second half I can't remember any impact he had on the game, he seemed to be passing the ball backwards all the time.

Probably not helped by playing him on the "wrong" side.

I agree in many ways we do seem to have a knack of making things hard for ourselves,at times we seem to miss chances that appear easier than the ones we actually take.

I'm always happy when we win no matter how we get it,however yesterday I felt the main thing we lacked at times was movement in the final third,at times Noble dropped so deep that Johnson an Elliot had no forward pass on,surely if he's in the hole he has to make runs for those two to provide killer passes,also Byfield made a lot of runs wide so when Sproule got into crossing positions he had very little in the box to aim for.

Back to chances,at Burnley in the first 10 minutes we had 4 really good chances to score and missed them all, I know we eventually won anyway but had we taken 2 of those Burnley may not have forced there way back in and almost got the point they probably deserved.

At West Brom in the first half if Trundle's snap shot hadn't been tipped away and Showumni's open goal been scored I think it'd have been totally different.

I'm aware that football dosen't have that conveniant shape but you do wonder that if we had a player in the Kevin Phillips mould that would score a goal out of nothing we may well have more points than we got already

Back to chances,at Burnley in the first 10 minutes we had 4 really good chances to score and missed them all, I know we eventually won anyway but had we taken 2 of those Burnley may not have forced there way back in and almost got the point they probably deserved

At West Brom in the first half if Trundle's snap shot hadn't been tipped away and Showumni's open goal been scored I think it'd have been totally different.

I'm aware that football dosen't have that conveniant shape but you do wonder that if we had a player in the Kevin Phillips mould that would score a goal out of nothing we may well have more points than we got already

At Burnely the City goal frame was hit 3 or 4 times.Thats the kind of good fortune that really helps.They say when you are down the bottom of the table luck doesn't go your way - well the opposite seems to apply when your're up the top.

Take Byfields goal.After Noble was tackled the ball broke loose to him perfectly and he was able to bury it with a great shot. On another day the ball could have gone nowhere near him.Coventry hit the inside of the City post the ball came back out...

City luck deserted them at Ipswich and to a lesser degree at the Baggies but I'll take that if it only happens twice in 25 games.

At Burnely the City goal frame was hit 3 or 4 times.Thats the kind of good fortune that really helps.They say when you are down the bottom of the table luck doesn't go your way - well the opposite seems to apply when your're up the top.

Take Byfields goal.After Noble was tackled the ball broke loose to him perfectly and he was able to bury it with a great shot. On another day the ball could have gone nowhere near him.Coventry hit the inside of the City post the ball came back out...

City luck deserted them at Ipswich and to a lesser degree at the Baggies but I'll take that if it only happens twice in 25 games.

The point is though had we have been in front at Burnley there confidence would,ve darined and the fans got on their back so those chances may not have come,goals have a way of changing games don't they.

Still we won and thats what matters,good points total over christmas and should we beat Colchester it will give us the right amount of confidence as the next two away games are Palace and QPR which will be tough

Anybody else think that Best was at least a yard offside

just before he hit the post,he looked well offside to me.

Archived