IGNORED

Darren Byfield And Marvin Elliott......

Mr Mosquito

I'm perplexed as to the reasons why Millwall sold us two players of the calibre of Darren Byfield and Marvin Elliott. Millwall have crashed down to 4th from bottom in Division 1 without them. The pairing of Darren Byfield and Marvin Elliott has got to rate as the best pair of players that any one club has ever sold us at any one time. :winner_third_h4h:

I'm perplexed as to the reasons why Millwall sold us two players of the calibre of Darren Byfield and Marvin Elliott. Millwall have crashed down to 4th from bottom in Division 1 without them. The pairing of Darren Byfield and Marvin Elliott has got to rate as the best pair of players that any one club has ever sold us at any one time. :winner_third_h4h:

Both at bigger club (that's going places), higher standard of football, higher wages.

Simple as.

No conspiracy theory this time RG

Both at bigger club (that's going places), higher standard of football, higher wages.

Simple as.

In recent years Millwall has been the bigger club with an FA Cup final appearance, new ground, and higher league level football. During this period of Millwall success we've suffered years of mediocre poxy third tier football. I still can't believe our luck at acquiring two such great players from our, historically, bitterest London rivals. :noexpression:

I remember at the time of Elliots's signing for City, reading a Milwall fans appraisel of him and to paraphrase - 'you'll never see a player kick a ball so awkwardly as Elliot'

I thought at the time that is was a strange thing to say and I still don't know what he meant.

In recent years Millwall has been the bigger club with an FA Cup final appearance, new ground, and higher league level football. During this period of Millwall success we've suffered years of mediocre poxy third tier football. I still can't believe our luck at acquiring two such great players from our, historically, bitterest London rivals. :noexpression:

History as you know is subject to change, UK ruled by the Romans, Normans, raped and pillaged by the Vikings......

I remember at the time of Elliots's signing for City, reading a Milwall fans appraisel of him and to paraphrase - 'you'll never see a player kick a ball so awkwardly as Elliot'

I thought at the time that is was a strange thing to say and I still don't know what he meant.

Millwall fans do often talk in riddles. One Millwall supporter I know told me it's better that Byfield and Elliott are successful with us than successful at 'Palarse' - Crystal Palace? :rolleyes:

I also remember when Elliot signed that lots of 'Wall fans said he was pony, and that we were welcome to him.

We thought he was that pony that we then got his mate Byfield from them also as he was pony too.

Luckily for us, those ponies have become thoroughbreds and The Wall are heading to the knackers yard.

Mange tout my son, mange tout.

I also remember when Elliot signed that lots of 'Wall fans said he was pony, and that we were welcome to him.

We thought he was that pony that we then got his mate Byfield from them also as he was pony too.

Luckily for us, those ponies have become thoroughbreds and The Wall are heading to the knackers yard.

Mange tout my son, mange tout.

Have the Cockney barrow boys been outwitted by our very own crafty Cockney - Gary Johnson ??!!!! :icecream:

They said there were issues with Elliot's attitude and that he faded as the season went on.

I guess the difference comes with the motivational technique GJ has used with him. It also helps your energy when you're part of a successful side which i don't think he was during his Millwall time.

Well, when they left both admitted that they were going because they didn't get on with the manager. I know when I left my last job, one of the main reasons for going was because I didn't get on with my boss - I guess it's a pretty important factor in any job.

I think Elliot recognised he wasn't going anywhere at Millwall, either. There must have been a reason the 'Wall fans got on his back, so pehaps his form was poor and he needed a change. The chance to step up a level, get more money and work with a better boss was just too good to turn down!

Byfield had all of that, plus his best mate was already there - it's not much of a decision, is it?

In the summer Marvin Williams seemed a better player and they sold him to Yeovil! Little did we know what good signings Elliott and Byfield would turn out to be. Millwall ended the season with an outside chance of the play-offs having beaten both Forest and ourselves. Many were tipping them for promotion this season but it looks like they decided to rebuild instead, They've been taken over by American investors (Chestnut Hill Ventures) and got shot of Willie Donnachie too now replacing him with Kenny Jackett. They'll still finish above the sags.

Well, when they left both admitted that they were going because they didn't get on with the manager. I know when I left my last job, one of the main reasons for going was because I didn't get on with my boss - I guess it's a pretty important factor in any job.

I think Elliot recognised he wasn't going anywhere at Millwall, either. There must have been a reason the 'Wall fans got on his back, so pehaps his form was poor and he needed a change. The chance to step up a level, get more money and work with a better boss was just too good to turn down!

Byfield had all of that, plus his best mate was already there - it's not much of a decision, is it?

Dead right Red Mat.

My last job could have been brilliant but because my manager was so poor my motivation was at an all time low and in the end I made it plain I wanted to leave. Now I'm no footballer but I'm sure it's the same in that profession.

GJ seems like an inspirational manager who has fostered a great team spirit, so it's no wonder the likes of Elliot and Byfield have the motivation to perform to the best of their abilities.

They said there were issues with Elliot's attitude and that he faded as the season went on.

I got the distinct impression that the only issue with Elliott's attitude was that he didn't want to sign a new contract and the Millwall fans had a severe case of sour grapes. He was worshipped there before he turned down a contract and the only real criticism of him appeared after it was clear he was leaving.

He was worshipped there before he turned down a contract and the only real criticism of him appeared after it was clear he was leaving.

That's pretty much the way I hear it, and I live deep in the heart of Millwall country.....renowned for his refusal to give up a lost cause and fight for his team whatever. I'm taking a fair bit of stick from the Millwall boys at the moment due to our current form being explained in SE London by the pescence of Elliot & Byfield......hard to argue with them when I was confronted with the score sheet V Coventry!

Have had nothing but encouragement from the local Lions to get a result against the much loathed Palace.....see you all there.....c'mon you Reds!

In the summer Marvin Williams seemed a better player and they sold him to Yeovil! Little did we know what good signings Elliott and Byfield would turn out to be. Millwall ended the season with an outside chance of the play-offs having beaten both Forest and ourselves. Many were tipping them for promotion this season but it looks like they decided to rebuild instead, They've been taken over by American investors (Chestnut Hill Ventures) and got shot of Willie Donnachie too now replacing him with Kenny Jackett. They'll still finish above the sags.

CiderJar, yet more informed comment. I don't know where you get your informed comment from but I'd be interested to know - to be also 'in the know'. :worship2:

Archived