IGNORED

Frustrated With The Williams

3bigcats

Please forgive the newbie to the Forum but having now inducted my 9 year old little girl well into the Saturday Afternoon ritual I'm honouring her a promise to get that junior season ticket. I held back until she had two seasons of attending every home match with me which she has done now pretty much.

I've always sat in the Dolman but moved to the Williams this season to try and keep away from the worst of the language. I'm not naive and just tell her to ignore it but the F and the C just got a bit too much last season with her at times in the Dolman.

Truth is I'm not sure which is worse now because I'm getting sick and tired of the negativity I hear in the Williams. There was an old guy last Saturday who moaned and abused every City player for the whole match last Saturday. It was ridiculous and I felt like telling him to just go home. Listening to him you would have wondered why the hell he even came.

If you could of told me last season we would be where we are now I'd have laughed. I think it is fantastic. I've also been brought up to appreciate that as a true supporter you take the rough with the smooth and stay behind the team. Yes there is a balance here because we pay a fair bit to watch and are entitled to voice frustration but I honestly don't know why some in the Williams bother even going if you listen to some of them throughout the game. Fickle doesn't begin to describe it.

It broke my heart on Sat just after Coventry scored to hear my little one say "Daddy why are these people being so horrible to our players" I had no answer for it.

For me it has never been as promising as it is now and the future is bright - why the hell can't these people see this.

My worry is that my little one is picking up on it and starting to be negative herself - NOT GOOD AND I'M PUTTING IT RIGHT but sometimes I think these people need a major reality check of where we are in the broad scheme of things.

Another point is that there seems to be a real band of Lee Johnson haters. I think he is a great link player always willing to pick up and distribute. His style of play often leads to the odd pass going astray but I see the through balls and link ups that clearly show why he is in the team. It seems he is just hated by these people because he is GJ's son and no rational reason. I've seen others have far worse games and get none of the stick he has.

Definately think we should get behind the guy and not get on his back - it's so shallow.

Anyway the question I ask if I may is how would we fair in the Atyeo. My little girl looks longingly at the Atyeo when they sing and the Willliams is silent. I'm always telling her to be loyal and we stay on at the end of every game to clap every last player off the pitch (my way of teaching her loyalty) but she always notices the loyal folk of the Atyeo who do the same when some in the Williams are walking off muttering their anti Lee Johnson comments under the beath.

I'm no real fan if watching from behind the goal to be honest but would be happy to give it a go for her.

Any comments please - thanks in advance.

yeah williams is full of negative old guys especially down the front blocks, they like it cos its a bit quieter....

sit a bit further back and its better. you wont get much singing though unless down by Wedlock end or occasionally in the opposite high corner

you cant shield her from language she will hear in the school playgound / on TV anyway. Kids are pretty good about filtering it out. I took my then 6 year old to the middlesbrough game last season, all fans round her sang "My Old Man.." but she either couldnt work out what they were saying or ignored it.

yeah williams is full of negative old guys especially down the front blocks, they like it cos its a bit quieter....

sit a bit further back and its better. you wont get much singing though unless down by Wedlock end or occasionally in the opposite high corner

you cant shield her from language she will hear in the school playgound / on TV anyway. Kids are pretty good about filtering it out. I took my then 6 year old to the middlesbrough game last season, all fans round her sang "My Old Man.." but she either couldnt work out what they were saying or ignored it.

Bernie - you're dead right and the language doesn't bother me or her - as you say she hears it down the local park so that's life. I just thought I'd give the Williams a try this season and the other guy who replied is right - there are moaners all round the ground but I have to say we sit in Block L of the Williams and there seem to be more that a few and yes sorry to say but they tend to be older ladies and gentlemen. The behaviour of some on Saturday was awful and just as offensive to young ears as bad language.

Bernie - you're dead right and the language doesn't bother me or her - as you say she hears it down the local park so that's life. I just thought I'd give the Williams a try this season and the other guy who replied is right - there are moaners all round the ground but I have to say we sit in Block L of the Williams and there seem to be more that a few and yes sorry to say but they tend to be older ladies and gentlemen. The behaviour of some on Saturday was awful and just as offensive to young ears as bad language.

i sat in the lower williams last season. never again its like gods wating room down there.

Please forgive the newbie to the Forum but having now inducted my 9 year old little girl well into the Saturday Afternoon ritual I'm honouring her a promise to get that junior season ticket. I held back until she had two seasons of attending every home match with me which she has done now pretty much.

I've always sat in the Dolman but moved to the Williams this season to try and keep away from the worst of the language. I'm not naive and just tell her to ignore it but the F and the C just got a bit too much last season with her at times in the Dolman.

Truth is I'm not sure which is worse now because I'm getting sick and tired of the negativity I hear in the Williams. There was an old guy last Saturday who moaned and abused every City player for the whole match last Saturday. It was ridiculous and I felt like telling him to just go home. Listening to him you would have wondered why the hell he even came.

If you could of told me last season we would be where we are now I'd have laughed. I think it is fantastic. I've also been brought up to appreciate that as a true supporter you take the rough with the smooth and stay behind the team. Yes there is a balance here because we pay a fair bit to watch and are entitled to voice frustration but I honestly don't know why some in the Williams bother even going if you listen to some of them throughout the game. Fickle doesn't begin to describe it.

It broke my heart on Sat just after Coventry scored to hear my little one say "Daddy why are these people being so horrible to our players" I had no answer for it.

For me it has never been as promising as it is now and the future is bright - why the hell can't these people see this.

My worry is that my little one is picking up on it and starting to be negative herself - NOT GOOD AND I'M PUTTING IT RIGHT but sometimes I think these people need a major reality check of where we are in the broad scheme of things.

Another point is that there seems to be a real band of Lee Johnson haters. I think he is a great link player always willing to pick up and distribute. His style of play often leads to the odd pass going astray but I see the through balls and link ups that clearly show why he is in the team. It seems he is just hated by these people because he is GJ's son and no rational reason. I've seen others have far worse games and get none of the stick he has.

Definately think we should get behind the guy and not get on his back - it's so shallow.

Anyway the question I ask if I may is how would we fair in the Atyeo. My little girl looks longingly at the Atyeo when they sing and the Willliams is silent. I'm always telling her to be loyal and we stay on at the end of every game to clap every last player off the pitch (my way of teaching her loyalty) but she always notices the loyal folk of the Atyeo who do the same when some in the Williams are walking off muttering their anti Lee Johnson comments under the beath.

I'm no real fan if watching from behind the goal to be honest but would be happy to give it a go for her.

To be honest, This season on this forum alone, I have seen GJ, Basso, Orr, Fontaine, Mccombe, Johnson, Trundle (and probably others) postings telling us how crap these individuals are, I find it incredible that we are joint top, Surely with so many crap players and a crap manager, we should already be relegated.

All you can do is to teach her your own values and explain to her that some people are never satisfied and from me all I can say is as long as the 11 players on the pitch (in BCFC red) are giving 100% that is all you can ask and when they clearly are not giving that 100%, Then feel free to vent your spleen and my god, We've seen enough of that in the past 10 years, But how people can be unhappy with the past 18 months is beyond me.

I cant go that regularly due to Uni commitments but on the games Ive been to this season, I'd echo many of your sentiments. There is an unbelievable amount of negativity STILL around Ashton Gate considering how well we're doing. Ive been going for several years and know that all clubs have their fair share of fickle fans. Where I sit in the Atyeo (BLock C near the top) is actually very good. Everyone I sit with has been going for years, all season tickets holders. Theyve been through thick and thin with City and I barely hear anyone around me shout abuse at one of our players. They all have their gripes but the atmosphere is overwhelmingly positive, all of them are just ecstatic with how far we've come after years of disappointment. Everyone around me seems to be enjoying coming to Ashton Gate and the feedback about the team is extremely supportive.

However, what struck me was the difference when I went to West Brom away on Boxing Day. Now, I'm not sure how many of the City fans at the Hawthorns had 'jumped on the bandwagon' after our recent great form but I was truly amazed and disappointed how many of our fans left that game early. I'm talking 20 minutes before the end. It was ONE poor 45minute display by City after many superb ones this year. It amazed me how people could give up on the team that easily after so much reward these past few months. Likewise, I still notice at games a portion of the crowd's reaction at a misplaced pass, particularly by certain players... (no names) and it really frustrates me how this air of negativity still surrounds some of our support despite everything the team and GJ have given us. It seems some people are now turning up at Ashton Gate expecting to be entertained, and expecting us to win. Some people have very short memories... or maybe they only come when we're winning? I'm sure you felt the same experiencing this kind of atmosphere in the Williams.

My advice to you would be to stick with it, there are unfortunately a minority of idiots all around the ground. As long as you keep behind the team, thats all you can do. There are plenty of City fans who are giving the team great support, week in, week out. You and your daughter have just got to keep shouting as loud as you can and encouraging the boys - drown out the moaners! I hope the negativity of some doesnt spoil her experience. Youve introduced her to City at just the right time and I'm sure, despite the Williams moaning, her season ticket is well worth it for both you.

Up the City.

i sat in the lower williams last season. never again its like gods wating room down there.

I know, why not put an age bar on entrance, what will it be? no over 40's, 50's or maybe 60's that'll improve the attendance figures, what it is to be young!

It's rife in the forums too as you rightly said in your latter post, very sad state of affairs really.

COME ON YOU REDS :chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez:

alot of people in the lower williams are fans that can only make it occasionaly to games so they get the shite seats near the front. I go with my old man sometimes and yeah he likes a moan (granted it can get a littel embarassing) but he used to manage a pretty useful amatuer side in bristol so knows his stuff and who am i to tell him to leave it out? PC brigade have nailed smoking, its moaners and swearers next, where will this crap end...

I've never nodded my way through a topic so much, all excellent points: especially that there is no place in football or anywhere for the C word, couldn't we just leave it out?

On saturday i was incensed, more than normal, by the lad behind me who is about my age who was resolutely trying to make everyone in the Atyeo listen and agree with his opinions on every throw-in decision to the wider policies of the club such as ticket prices and the academy. My particular favourite was when the linesman on the far side gave Byfield offside about 70 yards away from us and he stood up and shouted: "F off you cheating C that was never F ing offside". I just can't understand the motive for saying something like that, it's not inciteful, articulate, witty or impressive. That is what you would get in the Atyeo, so although you would probably enjoy it more because of the atmosphere you're probably better off staying where you are if you want to avoid these sort of thoughtless exclamations, because it's no better in the Atyeo or I doubt anywhere in the ground

It seems to me that some people seem only to be living in the absolute present such are their tiny minds. So if City have a poor 10 minutes (an inevitabilaty for us all from time to time - I have poor 25 years's!) then that means City are poor.

They say you're only as good as your last result but I think that's bollox.

No negative vibe merchants in the East End, boss, the language might leave a bit to be desired though!

Glad to see that the spirit of the old enclosure is still alive an well.

The moans and groans at the likes of Jantzen Derrick, Gerry Sharpe, Ken Wimshurst, Keith Fear and any other City player, who like our present Lee Johnson, had a bit a creativity about them, echo down the ages.

I claim my birthright as a city supporter to see the negativity in any situation and to have a good old fashioned bloody moan.

You youngsters don't know your born.

The moans and groans at the likes of Jantzen Derrick, Gerry Sharpe, Ken Wimshurst, Keith Fear and any other City player, who like our present Lee Johnson, had a bit a creativity about them, echo down the ages.

I claim my birthright as a city supporter to see the negativity in any situation and to have a good old fashioned bloody moan.

I seem to recall a quote from a BCFC player from the 1950's, Who described running with the ball in front of the grandstand (now the Williams) as 'Trial by jury'.

About sums it up from another Bemmy Boy

g block atyeo row h. pretty good really apart from an overweight cockney no nothing LJ hater about 2 rows back who i have told to give it a rest to but just hates him too much :dunno:

apart from him its ok and i'm so used to being behind the goal i don't think about it anymore. I tried the Williams once about 9 yrs ago :badmood: :noexpression: :disapointed2se::crying::( never again!!!!!

I bought my eldest up to be positive and clap em off the pitch etc etc and thats all you can do mate it just seems that the moaners are louder than the rest of us.

last game for instance Lj had a good 1st half and i heard nothing...... one pass goes astray and Mr know nothing is on his case seconds later LJ dinks a lovely little ball over the defence for Nobes which don't quite come off and then wins the ball back and puts Ivan in... no word from know nothing so I turn round and SCREAM " great work johnson" at him and you know what?? my MUM who sits next to me tells me to sush!!!!

Not just me either, i sat next to another st holder who tells the bloke to shut up...under his breath.....

Now every time LJ gets the ball i'm hoping that he gets it right or know nothing will have a whine and his voice is really starting to grate on me and I'm going to lose my temper,

no way to watch a football match is it.?

Yes, the old enclosure, spent many an afternoon helping Chris Crowe, Johnny Quigley, Lou Peters and others make the right decisions. I've still got a good memory but old age doesn't come alone though, i still p1ss regularly at 5.30 every morning, the problem is i don't wake up till 6am.

Yes, the old enclosure, spent many an afternoon helping Chris Crowe, Johnny Quigley, Lou Peters and others make the right decisions. I've still got a good memory but old age doesn't come alone though, i still p1ss regularly at 5.30 every morning, the problem is i don't wake up till 6am.

yeah, little (high pitched voiced) Lou Peters "give me the ball, give me the ball".

I remember in one game Lou came over to retrieve the ball for a throw in and a bloke on the fence offered him a rolo, Lou took it, ran back on to the pitch eating is rolo.

What was it the advert said about your last rolo

I sit in the Upper Williams and I am getting really fed up with the anti Lee Johnson comments especially 1 woman behind me who continually shouts abuse at Johnson, she has absolutely no clue about football.

At the Coventry game Sproule gave the ball away on the edge of our area and Johnson tackled the Cov player to dispossess him, unfortunately the ball ran to another Cov player and she shouts out "Johnson you are out of your league".

Why did she not slag off Sproule for losing the ball in a potentially dangerous situation?

I think it is because she is a clueless simpleton who should stay at home with her dollies rather than pass comment on a game she knows little about.

hi, i took my son and daughter to a game 4 years ago, she was 10 and he was 4, we sat in the Ateyo,at half time my daughter said can we go now? needless to say she has not returned, on the other hand myself and my son attend as often as affordable. Getting on to the lanuage in my opinion there is no need to use the C word as for a few Fs well its a football match, you will get it at a sunday morning match! As for sitting in the Williams, as i cant go every week it is a good place for the banter with away fans, lower williams F block.All sorts of people against Cardiff do you remember them singing, YOUVE ONLY GOT 2 BOYS, well they were from the williams, so to sum up the Williams is not the end of the world, the c word is for the building sites and factorys hope not to affend any builders or factory workers ,Lee Johnson is a class player,bring your girl down to F block Williams for the Boro game,she will love it, we always have a great time my lad is 9 in may, and he loves it! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Want to get your child hooked for life bring them to the East End my sister wasn't into football that greatly until we took her in they one game now she has a season ticket with my dad in the East End. Kids from experience love good atmospheres! Swearing so what she going hear it at school!

I think so many people have just got into the habit of going to the ground every week and having a good moan that they don't know how to react to the current set-up. They can't shout "sack the board" because...well they are investing in the team, selected a great manager and are now talking about a new stadium. They can't call for the manager's head because he's about the best around. Most are now reduced to hoping the Ref has a nightmare. One bloke near me in the Atyeo was delighted last week to find his drink was past its sell-by date so that he could spend the game saying: "nothing changes around here". Of course anyone who dares to suggest that the team might be good, the manager making some good tactical decisions etc is accused of being some sort of nutty zealot. Face it the hard core of City fans went every week to be disappointed, frustrated, let-down and ultimately betrayed. Thankfully this week most of them were able to moan about Byfield and Basso taking the money and running and leaving the team in the lurch (a completely unsubstantiated rumour that everyone knows is true -even though there appears to be no truth in it) ...and I don't expect that Aussie replacement is any good as he can't even gt into that Turkish team we have never heard of. I feel sorry for the moaners as their weekends are being ruined by the success...Let's hope we get into Europe next year then they will be able to moan about the prices, having to travel so far for games, not being able to speak the language, the food, foreign toilets that are like holes in the ground....

3bigcats

I'm a potd fan and have been to every home game this season usually in the Atyeo stand.

Against Leicester I decided to try the Williams block L and was appalled at the lack of atmosphere in there, apart from a small group right at the back there was no support for the team at all not even any moaners being abusive (which incidentally I don't like either)

I had to keep looking around me to make sure the people in there were still alive!

In the Atyeo there is generally a good atmosphere with most people getting behind the team albeit sporadically. Haven't noticed too much negativity in there either. Bearing in mind I sit in a different seat every game and sometimes different block (H,G or E) There are a few noisy people at the back of block H but their language is normally not too bad and sometimes they are quite amusing and help to get the singing going. I have yet to have a moron sat behind me yelling abuse so I can only recommend the Atyeo but as others have said you will always get someone somewhere swearing for one reason or another.

I think GJ's positive attitude has rubbed off on the team and is slowly spreading to the stands.

I noticed it especially in the last game against Coventry.

Positivity breeds success...Negativity is destructive.

So the more of us who cheer and applaud the team even when things aren't going our way the better.

Maybe we can get the moaners and abusers to join in!

Anyway hope you find a good spot somewhere to enjoy the rest of the season.

Firstly, swearing. If your seroiusly worried about it, I suggest you don't take her to football. Taking a child to a football match and expecting him/her to not hear swearing is like epecting a dog not to bark. Its the way the game is and I for one hope it dosent change and turn into a boring american style atmosphere.

As for the negativity, I'm afraid city fans are typically negative. I know one fan who still wanted johnson sacked the last time I spoke to him back in april! on the verge of promotion!!!

You ain't going to get away from the swearing anywhere mate... unfortunate as it is everyone does it occasionally at matches because we get so wound up by on the pitch antics.

Pal of mine who takes his kids to Everton games has him listen to local radio coverage of the match whilst it is being played so firstly he dosn't ask who everyone is every two minutes, and secondly cant hear the language! Just a suggestion.... reckon you'll have to get onto Radio Bristol and have them cover home games though cos they don't at the moment!!

Archived