IGNORED

Frustrated With The Williams

3bigcats

hi, i took my son and daughter to a game 4 years ago, she was 10 and he was 4, we sat in the Ateyo,at half time my daughter said can we go now? needless to say she has not returned, on the other hand myself and my son attend as often as affordable. Getting on to the lanuage in my opinion there is no need to use the C word as for a few Fs well its a football match, you will get it at a sunday morning match! As for sitting in the Williams, as i cant go every week it is a good place for the banter with away fans, lower williams F block.All sorts of people against Cardiff do you remember them singing, YOUVE ONLY GOT 2 BOYS, well they were from the williams, so to sum up the Williams is not the end of the world, the c word is for the building sites and factorys hope not to affend any builders or factory workers ,Lee Johnson is a class player,bring your girl down to F block Williams for the Boro game,she will love it, we always have a great time my lad is 9 in may, and he loves it! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I'd sugest F block :englandsmile4wf: Not the best atmosphere in the ground but most deffinately the best in the williams! And I only ever hear to dik heads behind my (in E block) Slating LJ! Everyone else gives the whole team there support! You should try upper F block next game see what you think!! :innocent06:

Please forgive the newbie to the Forum but having now inducted my 9 year old little girl well into the Saturday Afternoon ritual I'm honouring her a promise to get that junior season ticket. I held back until she had two seasons of attending every home match with me which she has done now pretty much.

I've always sat in the Dolman but moved to the Williams this season to try and keep away from the worst of the language. I'm not naive and just tell her to ignore it but the F and the C just got a bit too much last season with her at times in the Dolman.

Truth is I'm not sure which is worse now because I'm getting sick and tired of the negativity I hear in the Williams. There was an old guy last Saturday who moaned and abused every City player for the whole match last Saturday. It was ridiculous and I felt like telling him to just go home. Listening to him you would have wondered why the hell he even came.

If you could of told me last season we would be where we are now I'd have laughed. I think it is fantastic. I've also been brought up to appreciate that as a true supporter you take the rough with the smooth and stay behind the team. Yes there is a balance here because we pay a fair bit to watch and are entitled to voice frustration but I honestly don't know why some in the Williams bother even going if you listen to some of them throughout the game. Fickle doesn't begin to describe it.

It broke my heart on Sat just after Coventry scored to hear my little one say "Daddy why are these people being so horrible to our players" I had no answer for it.

For me it has never been as promising as it is now and the future is bright - why the hell can't these people see this.

My worry is that my little one is picking up on it and starting to be negative herself - NOT GOOD AND I'M PUTTING IT RIGHT but sometimes I think these people need a major reality check of where we are in the broad scheme of things.

Another point is that there seems to be a real band of Lee Johnson haters. I think he is a great link player always willing to pick up and distribute. His style of play often leads to the odd pass going astray but I see the through balls and link ups that clearly show why he is in the team. It seems he is just hated by these people because he is GJ's son and no rational reason. I've seen others have far worse games and get none of the stick he has.

Definately think we should get behind the guy and not get on his back - it's so shallow.

Anyway the question I ask if I may is how would we fair in the Atyeo. My little girl looks longingly at the Atyeo when they sing and the Willliams is silent. I'm always telling her to be loyal and we stay on at the end of every game to clap every last player off the pitch (my way of teaching her loyalty) but she always notices the loyal folk of the Atyeo who do the same when some in the Williams are walking off muttering their anti Lee Johnson comments under the beath.

I'm no real fan if watching from behind the goal to be honest but would be happy to give it a go for her.

Any comments please - thanks in advance.

First off, welcome.

Second, you will get people moaning like that anywhere in the ground. I'm sure there are even some people like that in the East End aswell. The Williams isnt the best stand IMO. In fact, its probably the worst. Mixed opinions on moving from the Dolman to Williams for the language etc, she's going to get into that at some point, but you are doing what's right as a parent.

Your probably going to get language problems anywhere in the ground so its where you think it will be best for her, and what you want aswell. If you move to the Atyeo, B block might be best as i believe that to be the family section. If not, don't go to the front part of D block :innocent06:

She's going to be forming her own opinions on the team performance and players performance and she probably isnt going to like every player, that's just life and football. Just encourage her not to take it too far.

Good luck

If you want to see positivity and show your daughter a really good day watching football you should try and get to away games which are a bit further away where less people go.

This was more the case last season where fewer people went anywhere but if you compare the two games over christmas the difference was amazing. West Brom there was a big following but less singing and more general negativity. I understand that we lost heavily but even in the first half when things were going ok this was evident. Compare this to Burnley where there were less fans but much more singing and a generally better mood despite the longer trip and terrible weather.

It seems to me as though if people are willing to make their way to these games they are more likely to just stay happy as if they've put that much effort in then they are going to ensure they have a good day out. I think there also seems to be a stronger community spirit within the fans.

I understand its not possible for everyone and especially if you've got a young daughter it might not be desirable but it might show her the better side of football fans rather than the winging lot that you often find in abundence at home games.

All in all i would say just stay positive and block out those that moan and just make sure you enjoy yourself!

First off, welcome.

Second, you will get people moaning like that anywhere in the ground. I'm sure there are even some people like that in the East End aswell. The Williams isnt the best stand IMO. In fact, its probably the worst. Mixed opinions on moving from the Dolman to Williams for the language etc, she's going to get into that at some point, but you are doing what's right as a parent.

Your probably going to get language problems anywhere in the ground so its where you think it will be best for her, and what you want aswell. If you move to the Atyeo, B block might be best as i believe that to be the family section. If not, don't go to the front part of D block :innocent06:

She's going to be forming her own opinions on the team performance and players performance and she probably isnt going to like every player, that's just life and football. Just encourage her not to take it too far.

Good luck

Dollymarie - sorry about that should have checked before referring to you as masculine - my apologies.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments as well.

Maybe I mis explained my issues with the swearing - I'm not naive and wouldn't take a little one if I didn't expect to hear it - I just tell her to ignore it and in truth sometimes it can be hilarious but we only moved from the Dolman last season because we always sat roughly in the same seats and there were a group who were giving it the F and the C literally every 5 minutes - it just got a bit too much if you know what I mean.

Have to say the thing that gets me down worst of all are the blatant Lee Johnson haters and there are many in the Wilimas were we sit.

There was an older lady last week who just constantly laid into him and yet other comments she made showed she clearly didn't have a clue about the game. I even heard her asking her husband how off side actually works. How can you lay into a player when you clearly know so little about the game.

Dollymarie - sorry about that should have checked before referring to you as masculine - my apologies.

Noooooooo (yes I am a laydee) but Beau45 was the other laydee I was on about.

Anyway the Williams isnt all bad, where I sit isnt full of LJ haters. I sometimes find him frustrating, but then the same could be said about other players who have wobbly moments, and I would shout at them just the same.

Happy clappy mostly though, apart from the odd blonde moment.

But I can assure you I understand offside!

i sat in the lower williams last season. never again its like gods wating room down there.

I remember sitting down the Williams with my dad in the late '80's when I heard the funniest line from one of these old moaners...

..'David Smith is rubbish...all he ever does is run down the wing and cross it in!'

..absolutely hilaroius, can still remember my Dad doubled up from laughing so much.

I have always found these old boys enjoyable and never to be taken seriously.

Please forgive the newbie to the Forum but having now inducted my 9 year old little girl well into the Saturday Afternoon ritual I'm honouring her a promise to get that junior season ticket. I held back until she had two seasons of attending every home match with me which she has done now pretty much.

I've always sat in the Dolman but moved to the Williams this season to try and keep away from the worst of the language. I'm not naive and just tell her to ignore it but the F and the C just got a bit too much last season with her at times in the Dolman.

Truth is I'm not sure which is worse now because I'm getting sick and tired of the negativity I hear in the Williams. There was an old guy last Saturday who moaned and abused every City player for the whole match last Saturday. It was ridiculous and I felt like telling him to just go home. Listening to him you would have wondered why the hell he even came.

If you could of told me last season we would be where we are now I'd have laughed. I think it is fantastic. I've also been brought up to appreciate that as a true supporter you take the rough with the smooth and stay behind the team. Yes there is a balance here because we pay a fair bit to watch and are entitled to voice frustration but I honestly don't know why some in the Williams bother even going if you listen to some of them throughout the game. Fickle doesn't begin to describe it.

It broke my heart on Sat just after Coventry scored to hear my little one say "Daddy why are these people being so horrible to our players" I had no answer for it.

For me it has never been as promising as it is now and the future is bright - why the hell can't these people see this.

My worry is that my little one is picking up on it and starting to be negative herself - NOT GOOD AND I'M PUTTING IT RIGHT but sometimes I think these people need a major reality check of where we are in the broad scheme of things.

Another point is that there seems to be a real band of Lee Johnson haters. I think he is a great link player always willing to pick up and distribute. His style of play often leads to the odd pass going astray but I see the through balls and link ups that clearly show why he is in the team. It seems he is just hated by these people because he is GJ's son and no rational reason. I've seen others have far worse games and get none of the stick he has.

Definately think we should get behind the guy and not get on his back - it's so shallow.

Anyway the question I ask if I may is how would we fair in the Atyeo. My little girl looks longingly at the Atyeo when they sing and the Willliams is silent. I'm always telling her to be loyal and we stay on at the end of every game to clap every last player off the pitch (my way of teaching her loyalty) but she always notices the loyal folk of the Atyeo who do the same when some in the Williams are walking off muttering their anti Lee Johnson comments under the beath.

I'm no real fan if watching from behind the goal to be honest but would be happy to give it a go for her.

I have a young daughter too and she wants to come to the football but I can't work out what part of the ground to watch from. She is only 5 years old and wants to join in with myself and my 11 year old son. I guess we just give it a go but try to educate her before and then after.

But to my fellow BCFC supporter who posted this topic good luck and try and remember the so called fans that we have been talking about are not the brightest people your daughter will meet in her life.

Good luck my friend :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Maybe I mis explained my issues with the swearing - I'm not naive and wouldn't take a little one if I didn't expect to hear it - I just tell her to ignore it and in truth sometimes it can be hilarious but we only moved from the Dolman last season because we always sat roughly in the same seats and there were a group who were giving it the F and the C literally every 5 minutes - it just got a bit too much if you know what I mean.

Have to say the thing that gets me down worst of all are the blatant Lee Johnson haters and there are many in the Wilimas were we sit.

There was an older lady last week who just constantly laid into him and yet other comments she made showed she clearly didn't have a clue about the game. I even heard her asking her husband how off side actually works. How can you lay into a player when you clearly know so little about the game.

Ahh right. Fair enough. Especially if they are giving it the C's every 5 minutes, you certainly don't want a 9 year old to hear that. Yeah i agree it can get too much. Best thing to do is to tell her to ignore it as you say, that or make sure she doesnt repeat any of it at home.

To be honest you get them everywhere in the ground. Who knows, you could get a season ticket next season, and sat next to you is the worst LJ basher available on the planet. At the end of the day, they are entitled to their opinion whether you or me like it or not. Personally i think he is a great player, and alot of our goals this season have indirectly come from him in one way or another. But some people cant see that and only see the fact that he is GJ's son. And personally, that insults GJ.

ive had the same seat in the atyeo for the last 7 years, back of block f. the only thing that tempts me to leave it is for the east end...

certainly don't get the negativity that it sounds like goes on in the williams.

yeah i mean the view isnt as good as say the middle of the dolman, but second half shooting towards our end is brilliant. sometimes i think we play better shooting towards the atyeo...

wouldnt be the worst thing you ever did if you started going in the atyeo. cheaper as well :D

Same here (well, front of block D). Also, you get to show the players great support at half time and they end of the game what with the tunnel being in the Atyeo. Think I'm in the same boat as you regarding same seat and leaving only for the East End.

and at the end of the game when we win, when johnson does that punch the air thing to the atyeo, fan-bloody-tastic! love that bit!

by the way giles, good choice of avatar! i took that photo! guess you got it off footballgroundguide...

Its great to see so much passion from the manager. He also knows when we don't perform and/or get a poor/underserved result. His emotion is clear for all to see. Best manager ive seen down the gate. (I've only been going since the John Ward era mind!)

And yes i did get it off Football Ground Guide. I'm on that site nearly every week

Bernie - you're dead right and the language doesn't bother me or her - as you say she hears it down the local park so that's life. I just thought I'd give the Williams a try this season and the other guy who replied is right - there are moaners all round the ground but I have to say we sit in Block L of the Williams and there seem to be more that a few and yes sorry to say but they tend to be older ladies and gentlemen. The behaviour of some on Saturday was awful and just as offensive to young ears as bad language.

Also sit in block L and cannot stand it either. Tempted to transfer to the east end if i can, only choose williams because, and yes ill be honest, it was the only part of the ground I could afford a season ticket in at the time.

I sit in block L of the Dolman (lower part) and I think it's one of the best places to sit. I've sat there now for about 11 years.

There's very little noticeable language, because a lot of families sit around that area, although of course, you can't get away from it totally. I go with my dad and some mates, and none of us swear (at least, not out loud!!). We have a good laugh and the view is excellent.

I can highly recommend sitting there, if only to hear my dad abuse the linesmen, ref and opposition (without swearing). He's got a great store of daft things to call people - the best being dogbreath.

Unless, of course, you're Ant76 who thought he was a moron...

You do get the odd Lee Johnson moaner, but I will say that the bloke who doesn't like him will always clap him when he gets it right, and has admitted that LJ has improved over the last few games. So even that is getting better. And a lot of it is now tongue in cheek -if Johnson misplaces a pass or something, we all have a laugh at our mate who just rolls his eyes. There's no constant stream of abuse that I understand other people have to put up with.

People have every right to groan if a pass goes astray or whatever, and that is pretty much the worst it gets where we sit.

I think negatively wears off on others. Around the ground there is a lot of negativity for LJ but I actually think he is a good decent player for us but because so many people are negative towards him I am starting to watch Lee Johnson's performance more closely, And on the odd occasion have noticed myself being negative towards him even though I know he is a good player.

I've never been a fan of of the Williams tbh, I don't like the lack of atmosphere in there and like you have found out there is plenty of people in there that will criticise a player even if he scores 3 goals and wins a man of the match award. The Atyeo has some negative people as every stand does but I see the Atyeo stand as a sing when your winning sort of stand. The best stand for positivity is the East End however it is probably the worse stand for bad language.

If I was you I would go to the ticket office before the next match and ask to swap both of your season tickets for one match and sit in the Atyeo for one match and see how you get on.

When I was younger, in the early stages of my Bristol City following life, my Dad would talk to me really loudly every time a chant with swearing occured. :innocent06: Little old me never suspected a thing.

Moaning is pretty much inescapable, my season ticket is in the Atyeo this season, but if I had a pound every time one of the two sat near me said "that's terrible, ain't it!" or yelled some kind of abuse regarding "McCooombe!!!" I would be sat in the director's box. Or wherever wealthy fans sit. Because that is what I would be.

I wonder too why they are here, although I can block out their moaning when we are playing well, or winning. Its incredible that people should moan when we are joint top of the championship, when being a promoted team in our first season up we could be joint bottom. We've waited far too long for football at this level, now it has come along, people are rediculously ungrateful. But what can the rest of us do?

Get behind the team :Believe:

Edit* However, generally the language where I sit in the Atyeo isn't bad, and other than the odd exception there is a good positive atmosphere, at Coventry I really enjoyed myself in all aspects other than just the performance and the win. I'd give that a try. The veiw from the bottom few rows isn't great however.

[there is plenty of people in there that will criticise a player even if he scores 3 goals and wins a man of the match award.

When Jevons scored that hat-trick in the Cup last season the bloke behind me (I'm in C Block of the Atyeo) bellowed " I don't care if you've just scored a ######* hat trick Jevons you're still ######* s***" I was gobsmacked

These are probably the people that have never kicked a ball in their life, total TO$$ERS. :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I like sitting in the Williams, and I also think Johnson snr should have the courage to drop his own son, when necessary, or suffer the nepotism jibes.

I don't necessarily think Johnson jnr is a bad player, just that his form has suffered the past few games. He needs a rest but we all know Johnson snr won't drop him no matter how poorly he plays - for me, that's what gets people's backs up.

The other thing that constantly annoys me about Johson jnr is: Is it absolutely necessary that he takes all the free kicks and corners? I'm surprised he's not taking the throw-ins as

well - and doing the odd stint in goal!

It just smacks of playground stuff: "It's my dad's team and my ball so ..."

ive had the same seat in the atyeo for the last 7 years, back of block f. the only thing that tempts me to leave it is for the east end...

certainly don't get the negativity that it sounds like goes on in the williams.

yeah i mean the view isnt as good as say the middle of the dolman, but second half shooting towards our end is brilliant. sometimes i think we play better shooting towards the atyeo...

wouldnt be the worst thing you ever did if you started going in the atyeo. cheaper as well :D

Before I had a s/t used to sit in the Williams, and it is a it soulless and the pillars etc obscure views, so from my point of view, moving to the Atyeo has been spot on. I am also in F block near the back and the humour is generally good and so is the company, which incidentally includes several more mature individuals(and I'm 42!!).They don't appear to subscribe to the Victor Meldrew syndrome!

I wouldn't move now as the view is pretty good and I echo Matalan31's views generally about the stand.Some on here knock the Atyeo, but in the last 3 years, the atmosphere has got better and better.I'd recommend it...

Before I had a s/t used to sit in the Williams, and it is a it soulless and the pillars etc obscure views, so from my point of view, moving to the Atyeo has been spot on. I am also in F block near the back and the humour is generally good and so is the company, which incidentally includes several more mature individuals(and I'm 42!!).They don't appear to subscribe to the Victor Meldrew syndrome!

I wouldn't move now as the view is pretty good and I echo Matalan31's views generally about the stand.Some on here knock the Atyeo, but in the last 3 years, the atmosphere has got better and better.I'd recommend it...

I sat in H block of the Atyeo for the Cov game and thought it was cracking in there. Some real characters singing and having a laugh with all around them, and not much player slating.. Even Uncle Fester was in there with us!

The other thing that constantly annoys me about Johson jnr is: Is it absolutely necessary that he takes all the free kicks and corners? I'm surprised he's not taking the throw-ins as well - and doing the odd stint in goal!

It just smacks of playground stuff: "It's my dad's team and my ball so ..."

To coin a phrase, you cannot be serious man. :huh: Do you have so little respect for Gary and Keith as to believe they would let that happen? Actually the dead ball kicks tend to be shared by Lee and Michael McIndoe. Jamie McAllister took the corner for the second goal against Coventry. So it's horses for courses. It's no coincidence I think that we are scoring more goals from set pieces this season than for years. :city:

To add to this.... whoever the woman sat near me today was, please don't ever come again :@

Obviously havent sat there before because its 2 season ticket holders seats. Constantly saying things like, oh thats that sproule, i hear hes quick etc so obviously not been to many games.

Every single time Boro attacked she would shout Oh my god, everytime we even slightly looked like giving the ball away she shouted "what a ####". Everytime the ball went back to basso she would shout Jesus, or again, Oh my god. Considering she clearly hadnt been many games this season i don't think its far to shout out that players are shit, or to moan everytime basso touched the ball (even before the goal).

And the guy with hers language was terrible to say the least...

Also, the morons who decided to leave early, and then stand in the way by the entrance to block K, don't thanks! Asking politely didnt work, eventually shouting at them did. Stay till the end sat in your seat or **** off out the way!

And I wont get started on the ###### food counter!! How ###### hard is it to stock enough food?!?!?!? Queued for 25 minutes at half time, missing beginning of second half (ok should have gone earlier? but didnt want to leave before half time) to be told there was no burgers, no hot dogs and no sausage rolls left. Oh and you can only buy something if youve got correct change, what a joke!!

Archived