IGNORED

Good Day For An Off Day

Nibor

... next week against Colchester.

We really weren't at the races today, second to almost everything and looking lethargic all over the pitch. Boro sussed the 4411 system well by playing an anchor who gave Noble no space, Wilson didn't play wide enough, Sproule didn't play far forward enough and those three things combined meant we had a real lack of outlets whenever we got the ball and ended up playing long and under pressure too much. Byfield did fairly well despite being isolated but even when we scored we never really looked like we had much purpose.

Boro were a worse side than last season and it was only the quality of their wingers combined with some lackluster defending and a goalkeeping error that got them a result despite them having most of the possession. Downing made Orr look stupid several times, Johnson had a fair bit of joy with McAllister and then they swapped over at halftime for more of the same. They were organised and the quality did show in the amount of passes they didn't misplace but nothing special. Had we put in the performance we had against Coventry we'd have won and I can't imagine Boro fans being particularly overjoyed with that performance.

But, all that being said it was a good day to have an off day. It's a nice kick up the arse in a competition we were never going to win leading into a far more important game in the league against Colchester. I'm sure the players will be disappointed with themselves after today and that will spur them on next week and I think every City fan would have chosen 3 points over a cup win even if the manner of our defeat today was not what we would have hoped for.

We really weren't at the races today, second to almost everything and looking lethargic all over the pitch. Boro sussed the 4411 system well by playing an anchor who gave Noble no space, Wilson didn't play wide enough, Sproule didn't play far forward enough and those three things combined meant we had a real lack of outlets whenever we got the ball and ended up playing long and under pressure too much. Byfield did fairly well despite being isolated but even when we scored we never really looked like we had much purpose.

Boro were a worse side than last season and it was only the quality of their wingers combined with some lackluster defending and a goalkeeping error that got them a result despite them having most of the possession. Downing made Orr look stupid several times, Johnson had a fair bit of joy with McAllister and then they swapped over at halftime for more of the same. They were organised and the quality did show in the amount of passes they didn't misplace but nothing special. Had we put in the performance we had against Coventry we'd have won and I can't imagine Boro fans being particularly overjoyed with that performance.

But, all that being said it was a good day to have an off day. It's a nice kick up the arse in a competition we were never going to win leading into a far more important game in the league against Colchester. I'm sure the players will be disappointed with themselves after today and that will spur them on next week and I think every City fan would have chosen 3 points over a cup win even if the manner of our defeat today was not what we would have hoped for.

formation did not work we needed 2 up front, noble was nowhere to be seen

formation did not work we needed 2 up front, noble was nowhere to be seen

He was being marked, Boro played one up front and put the extra man on Noble specifically to counter our system.

That's why it didn't work. We could have reacted to that earlier but with us being second to everything I don't think it was the deciding factor. We looked tired.

Its not nice to lose, it never is, expecially at home, but i'm not as dissapointed as thought i would be.

Boro are a good team and Southgates a decent bloke, i wish them well for the next round.

Our purpose this season has changed dramaticly, mouled by our league results thus far, we are a team now with as good a chance as anyone to gain promotion, or at least a play off, shocking as it sounds, its possible!

Colchester should be 3 easy points, 6 if you consider we've yet to play them so far, i'm not getting carrierd away, but it will take a lot lot more than losing a cup game to Boro to dampen my spirit and belife in City this season.

He was being marked, Boro played one up front and put the extra man on Noble specifically to counter our system.

That's why it didn't work. We could have reacted to that earlier but with us being second to everything I don't think it was the deciding factor. We looked tired.

Spot on.Boro had done their homework and made sure Noble was nullified.Thats a huge compliment to Noble and after he went off Boro were able to push on with extra an man making all the difference.

But who really cares? I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the game and frankly I'm not that bothered by the defeat.Bring Colchester on I say.

That'll a be a very tough game and my guess is not a very pretty one.

Guest ashtonyate
Spot on.Boro had done their homework and made sure Noble was nullified.Thats a huge compliment to Noble and after he went off Boro were able to push on with extra an man making all the difference.

But who really cares? I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the game and frankly I'm not that bothered by the defeat.Bring Colchester on I say.

That'll a be a very tough game and my guess is not a very pretty one.

The trouble is we have not got good enough forwards to play any different than we do, I just hope Brooker gets back soon to add to the front line

The trouble is we have not got good enough forwards to play any different than we do, I just hope Brooker gets back soon to add to the front line

Byfield's first touch was excellent today, we'd have lost the ball even more were it not for his ability. But if we're going to play this 4411 system we need to react somehow if the opposition counter it. The other option is as you say to get Brooker in there in a 442 but then we'd probably find the midfield battle much harder.

was always going to be a matter of time until sussed out the noble situation, I wouldn't be suprised to see too many more teams decide to try to shut him out the game, by sticking a man on him, time to change to 4-4-2 for a bit, begining to look a bit one dimensional, don't want to get a reputation of "stop Noble, stop City"

don't agree, Bradley did very well most of the time. Out of position for downings goal because he was following whoever he was marking, sproule nowhere to be found.

Had someone picked up Brads man like a centre back should have then i am sure Brad wouldnt have let him shoot.

Fontaine deserved Man of the Match, possibly the only player to come out of game that can say I did my best

Byfield's first touch was excellent today, we'd have lost the ball even more were it not for his ability. But if we're going to play this 4411 system we need to react somehow if the opposition counter it. The other option is as you say to get Brooker in there in a 442 but then we'd probably find the midfield battle much harder.

byfield done v well thought that our midfield needed to support him abit qiucker theres only so much you can do as a lone stricker.

Thing is we seem to be a victim of our own success. We are doing so well in the league that people automatically think we should be beating everyone. Bottom line is we played a premier team that only afew weeks ago managed to inflict only 1 of 2 defeats on avery good arsenal team. We were the championship side today and we looked just that. We will come up against sides, that are simply just better than us and today, was one example of this. Lets all just look at this result as a blessing in disquise ( spelling??) as we only have the league to concentrate on. Heaven forbid we ended up drawing today, then had to put in an extra peformance in the replay. This could have in turn then cost us a few points in the league in the coming weeks and who knows how valuable an extra couple of league points will be come the end of the season.

Thing is we seem to be a victim of our own success. We are doing so well in the league that people automatically think we should be beating everyone. Bottom line is we played a premier team that only afew weeks ago managed to inflict only 1 of 2 defeats on avery good arsenal team. We were the championship side today and we looked just that. We will come up against sides, that are simply just better than us and today, was one example of this. Lets all just look at this result as a blessing in disquise ( spelling??) as we only have the league to concentrate on. Heaven forbid we ended up drawing today, then had to put in an extra peformance in the replay. This could have in turn then cost us a few points in the league in the coming weeks and who knows how valuable an extra couple of league points will be come the end of the season.

Exactly right. Remember we had a few key players out and my guess is the team was picked on the basis that if Middlesbrough had had an off day then we would have won. As it was they didn't and either way a replay was avoided.

Back to the Big League next Saturday

Bring it on!

Nice to see a full strength Colchester beaten at home by a league two team (albeit a decent one) today and let's hope this 'reality check' coupled with their dire form will give us a boost next week.

Also good to see that our nearest rivals at the top of the Championship all have either replays or more cup games to distract them from the business of the league...

Credit to Boro, they played the correct system and we couldn't adapt to play well or beat them.

Luckily i don't see too many teams playing 4-1-4-1 against us in the league so it may not be a problem. All the teams pretty much in the league play 4-4-2 so we can always dominate midfield at least numerically.

Boro exactly matched us and their superior ability won through. Well done Southgate, he learned from last season, adapted and beat us tactically.

Yes, the most important thing today was not to draw.

don't agree, Bradley did very well most of the time. Out of position for downings goal because he was following whoever he was marking, sproule nowhere to be found.

Had someone picked up Brads man like a centre back should have then i am sure Brad wouldnt have let him shoot.

Fontaine deserved Man of the Match, possibly the only player to come out of game that can say I did my best

Out of position because he gave the ball away in central midfield, trying a dink with his left peg. Thought he got beat too often by Downing, but there you go, he is a top player and a deserved international.

Just shows the gulf in class eh?

Out of position because he gave the ball away in central midfield, trying a dink with his left peg. Thought he got beat too often by Downing, but there you go, he is a top player and a deserved international.

Just shows the gulf in class eh?

To be fair, he did if i remember rightly track the run of the guy he gave the ball to. I could be wrong as it all happens so quick during the game and I missed match of the day.

Archived