IGNORED

After Their First Goal....

MarcusX

Nobody else has mentioned this either...

What the hell happened? Why was it a freekick and why did Johnson get booked?

Also don't like the fact that every boro player went over to the bench discussing stuff with Southgate, Ref really should have prevented that.

Referee should always get the blame

The only thing i could think of at the time was they kicked off, the ball didnt go forward? And then Johnson complained? And got booked. Considering they took the freekick in our half thats all me and the guys around me could come up with
That's what I came up with. If that is the case then GJ needs to have a quiet word with LJ as being booked for complaining is not on. When a ref makes a decision then he will not change it. Make him aware your unhappy about it but just accept it and got on with it.

If your assumptions are correct and the referee penalised City for not playing the ball forward at the kick off his actions were wrong. To the best of my knowledge the ball has to travell forward from a kick off, ifbthis does not happen the game should be restarted with a kick off. From a kick off the ball is not in play until it has travekked forward its circumference. The team taking the kick off should not be penalised by awarding the oppositrion as free kick.

If your assumptions are correct and the referee penalised City for not playing the ball forward at the kick off his actions were wrong. To the best of my knowledge the ball has to travell forward from a kick off, ifbthis does not happen the game should be restarted with a kick off. From a kick off the ball is not in play until it has travekked forward its circumference. The team taking the kick off should not be penalised by awarding the oppositrion as free kick.

Absolutely right. Not sure what on earth the Ref was doing!

I'm sure we'll see on MOTD later.

Back to the statement about how the referee should have stopped them when they went to the bench. If a player overcelebrates it's classed as timewasting and the punishment is a yellow card. They clearly time wasted and the referee did nothing to stop the timewasting let alone brandish any yellow cards. Poor decision in my book.

I'm sure we'll see on MOTD later.

Back to the statement about how the referee should have stopped them when they went to the bench. If a player overcelebrates it's classed as timewasting and the punishment is a yellow card. They clearly time wasted and the referee did nothing to stop the timewasting let alone brandish any yellow cards. Poor decision in my book.

Very difficult when almost every boro player went over to the bench, the ref can't exactly book them all can he. A better option would have been for the 4th official to have a word with Gareth Southgate about the players coming over.

Very difficult when almost every boro player went over to the bench, the ref can't exactly book them all can he. A better option would have been for the 4th official to have a word with Gareth Southgate about the players coming over.

I'm not saying to book them. All I mean is it SHOULD be a yellow if you're playing by the book but I understand that you can't really do that in this situation. Instead of yellows the ref should have tried to hurry them up a bit but he didn't.

Guest Tafkar

The law's been changed, just to be pedantic here, it just has to travel forward, as seeing whether it had travelled it's circumference wasn't the easiest of jobs.

I was in the loo at the time of the incident, though, so I can't comment.

Mutley - The 4th official has the responsibility of the technical areas, the referee has to try and re-assemble the mob for the kick-off and note down the scorer and time... The 4th official has as much power as him in this situation, as you've said yourself.

must admit didnt think the ref had a good game in what was a easy match to ref, u will always find prem refs look after prem teams , and god did i tell him so in the last minuite down at the bottom of the dolman he was no more than 2 yards from me and i give it to him big time eye to eye, but not once did i swear or abuse him, cos the steward i was rubbing shoulders with was dying to throw me out , he told me to behave so i sad to him what am i doing wrong , he couldnt answer ,

i had seen him chuck 2 15/16 year old lads out earlier in the game for wotever reason i believe it was for trying to stand up in the dolman at the side as there seats were down near the front and they were getting soaked , so perhaps the steward was technically right but i didnt like his attitude towards the young lads down there , the word bully comes to mind

The referee's decision was bizarre.

He cannot give a free kick to the opposing side, UNLESS the side in possession committed an infringement.

The only situation from a kick-off where the opposing side gains a free kick that I can think of is if the ball was played by the kick taker twice. All the other reasons mentioned above would result in the kick-off being re-taken.

The referee's decision was bizarre.

He cannot give a free kick to the opposing side, UNLESS the side in possession committed an infringement.

The only situation from a kick-off where the opposing side gains a free kick that I can think of is if the ball was played by the kick taker twice. All the other reasons mentioned above would result in the kick-off being re-taken.

A ref can give an indirect free kick for any cautionable offence for which play is stopped, in this case I would guess dissent.

A ref can give an indirect free kick for any cautionable offence for which play is stopped, in this case I would guess dissent.

That's not true. A referee cannot stop the game for dissent - it must be given at the next natural stoppage or infringement. If it isn't given at the next stoppage, it cannot be given at all.

If he gave the card for dissent before play had restarted, the game should have been restarted with the kick-off. The game can only be restarted in the correct manner for which the ball went out of play. As the ball went out of play because a goal had been scored, it can only be restarted by a kick-off by the conceding team.

Therefore, as he gave the opposing team a free-kick, the only thing that could have been for was an infringement of the law and, at kick off, the only infringement which demands a free kick to the opposition is touching the ball twice. All other infringements require the kick to be re-taken.

As for Johnson's caution, I would suggest the following: The kick-off was played twice, the ref blew up, Johnsons moaned and the ref cautioned him.

That's not true. A referee cannot stop the game for dissent - it must be given at the next natural stoppage or infringement. If it isn't given at the next stoppage, it cannot be given at all.

If he gave the card for dissent before play had restarted, the game should have been restarted with the kick-off. The game can only be restarted in the correct manner for which the ball went out of play. As the ball went out of play because a goal had been scored, it can only be restarted by a kick-off by the conceding team.

Therefore, as he gave the opposing team a free-kick, the only thing that could have been for was an infringement of the law and, at kick off, the only infringement which demands a free kick to the opposition is touching the ball twice. All other infringements require the kick to be re-taken.

As for Johnson's caution, I would suggest the following: The kick-off was played twice, the ref blew up, Johnsons moaned and the ref cautioned him.

Well, the referee can give an indirect free kick for any cautionable offence for which play was stopped, that part is true.

The rest was, as I said a guess.

I didn't know the ref can't stop play for dissent but that being the case your suggestion makes the most sense.

I know for a fact that it shouldnt have been a free-kick, whatever the Yellow card was for.

As far as I could tell, the referee was booking Johnson for something before the restart of play (probably for dissent of some kind, we know how mouthy he can get) As the ball had not been kicked, the ball was not in play, hence, we still should have got kick off regardless...unless johnson said something AFTER he kicked the ball, but that seems unlikely.

Dissent itself isnt a free kick offence, but if it warrents a booking and the ref feels the need to stop the game in order to book a player, then an indirect free kick is to be awarded. If this happend, johnson musta said something straight after kicking the ball

Well, the referee can give an indirect free kick for any cautionable offence for which play was stopped, that part is true.

The rest was, as I said a guess.

I didn't know the ref can't stop play for dissent but that being the case your suggestion makes the most sense.

Technically, dissent is not an infringement of the Laws, and that's why he cannot stop the game.

When a free-kick is awarded, it depends on the infringement whether it is direct or indirect, not whether it's cautionable. Any foul (pushing, holding, tripping, striking) is direct, as is deliberate handball. Indirect free-kicks are given for technical infringements, such as obstruction, offside, pass-backs, dangerous play, etc.

As a referee, I know for a fact that it shouldnt have been a free-kick, whatever the Yellow card was for.

As far as I could tell, the referee was booking Johnson for something before the restart of play (probably for dissent of some kind, we know how mouthy he can get) As the ball had not been kicked, the ball was not in play, hence, we still should have got kick off regardless...unless johnson said something AFTER he kicked the ball, but that seems unlikely

See my 1st response. As a referee, you should know that the only time the referee can award an indirect free kick to the opposition after kick-off is if the ball is played twice. The referee cannot stop the game for dissent.

When a free-kick is awarded, it depends on the infringement whether it is direct or indirect, not whether it's cautionable. Any foul (pushing, holding, tripping, striking) is direct, as is deliberate handball. Indirect free-kicks are given for technical infringements, such as obstruction, offside, pass-backs, dangerous play, etc.

This is the bit I'm talking about:

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the

opposing team if a player, in the opinion of

the referee:

-plays in a dangerous manner

-impedes the progress of an opponent

-prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

- commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player

See my 1st response. As a referee, you should know that the only time the referee can award an indirect free kick to the opposition after kick-off is if the ball is played twice. The referee cannot stop the game for dissent.

see my edited version. I havnt reffereed for a while so am kind of unsure on the exact rules, but he can stop the game to book someoone and if its not a free kick offence he's booking him for its an indirect freekick i think

Archived