MarcusX

This is the bit I'm talking about:

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the

opposing team if a player, in the opinion of

the referee:

-plays in a dangerous manner

-impedes the progress of an opponent

-prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

- commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player

..the key here is "not previously mentioned in Law 12". Law 12 mentions and details dissent "by word or action" and states it is a cautionable offence. Play can only be stopped for an infringement of the Laws, for an injured player or becuase of outside influence (invasion of pitch, lighting, etc.)

..the key here is "not previously mentioned in Law 12". Law 12 mentions and details dissent "by word or action" and states it is a cautionable offence. Play can only be stopped for an infringement of the Laws, for an injured player or becuase of outside influence (invasion of pitch, lighting, etc.)

it means something not previously mentioned that requires a direct or indirect free kick - dissent isnt previously mentioned beofre this, hence indirect free kick

Dissent is not mentioned previous to that, only later as a cautionable offence.

Chaps, is dissent dealt with in Law 12 or not?

I can't be bothered to argue any more, why don't you ask the question to the Referees Association? I will acknowledge I'm wrong if they back you up.

I say that referees will NOT stop the game while the ball is in play, purely to issue a caution for dissent.

Chaps, is dissent dealt with in Law 12 or not?

It is, directly AFTER the section of law 12 I quoted under the title "cautionable offences".

I can't be bothered to argue any more, why don't you ask the question to the Referees Association? I will acknowledge I'm wrong if they back you up.

I say that referees will NOT stop the game while the ball is in play, purely to issue a caution for dissent.

I'm not saying they will generally. However the wording under the Powers and Duties of the referee is thus:

" - takes disciplinary action against players guilty of cautionable and sending-off offences. He is not obliged to take this action immediately but must do so when the ball next goes out of play"

and the part of law 12 that provides a catch all indirect free kick for cautions (not infringements) for which there were stoppages seems to indicate that they have that option.

Archived