IGNORED

Striker Required For A Tilt At The Promised Land

Red Robin

He means the Johnson who lived and was bought up in Briz, played for WBA, Forest etc.

That's the one. He's in his 30's now, plays central midfield, supports the Gas, been capped by Wales. Not ex-Palace Johnson. There were a few others who came through up there but I can't remember who!

Original AJ

I can't think of another who has scored at this level but isn't playing other than Connolly and he's 30 with a crap availability record...

Would Earnshaw be beyond the realms of possibility? Not in the Derby side and proven at CCC level. Loan with a view to a permanent move.

Or am I being over optimistic?

Would Earnshaw be beyond the realms of possibility? Not in the Derby side and proven at CCC level. Loan with a view to a permanent move.

HEARD HIS NAME MENTIONED BEFORE SOMEWHERE ON HERE . LOAN DEAL WOULD CERTAINLY BENEFIT HIM AND US UNTIL SEASON END .POSSIBLY DERBY ALSO UNLESS THEY GET A FEW INJURIES , BUT AS REGARDS TO A PERM . DEAL , DON'T THINK THAT WOULD SUIT US IF WE WERE TO GO UP ( SSSHHH ). HE HAS'NT EVER SET THE PREM . ALIGHT HAS HE , WOULD'NT DO IT WITH US , WE WOULD JUST CARRY A NON SCORER WITH HIS ASSOCIATED WAGES BARING IN MIND HE'S ALSO AN INTERNATIONAL PLAYER THAT WILL ADD SOMETHING TO HIS WORTH .

I'm only resigned to the fact that we won't be able to get what Red Robin calls a "PROVEN TOP QUALITY GOALSCORER" because there are only a finite number of players that can be considered that at this level and we won't be able to sign any of them.

Proven maybe not, although it's not totally out of the question, when we signed Elliot we were all saying "Who is this guy" and a few Millwall fans came on here saying he was average at best. I'm of the opinion that sometimes you can bring in players in to a new environment, with different tactics and ideals, and they can hit it off :whistle2:

I'm not one for sarcasm mate, but REALLY?? A proven goal scorer?? Of course!

We know! Name a striker that would come here, and is available and we can debate it if you like.

5 strikers who are goal poachers and struggling to get in there sides are Bobby Zamora,David Connoly,Mikael Forssell,Clinton Morrison and Freddie Eastwood.

How about any of them? All would add some extra striking power to our side and have good goal scoring records.

Signed for Derby for £3.5m and presumably £15-20k a week at the start of the season. I can't imagine they will let him go out on loan when they're in a relegation battle and have just sold a striker. He's a good player though.

Proven maybe not, although it's not totally out of the question, when we signed Elliot we were all saying "Who is this guy" and a few Millwall fans came on here saying he was average at best. I'm of the opinion that sometimes you can bring in players in to a new environment, with different tactics and ideals, and they can hit it off :whistle2:

Well yes but that's sort of the point. We will probably bring in a striker who isn't proven, and hope he becomes so. That's every scouts job, to find players that outperform their price tag and reputation. That's not, however, what Red Robin was talking about.

5 strikers who are goal poachers and struggling to get in there sides are Bobby Zamora,David Connoly,Mikael Forssell,Clinton Morrison and Freddie Eastwood.

How about any of them? All would add some extra striking power to our side and have good goal scoring records.

Bobby Zamora would be top of that list and he's far better than any of our crop of forwards. I don't see why we couldn't afford wages of say £25,000 per week, for the remaining 20 or so weeks of this season as an investment in a proven striker. If we're serious about Premiership football then we do need to sign a quality goalscorer. Yes, players available for permanent signings are thin on the ground and this is why the loan system could be a better option.

At £25,000 per week for 20 weeks the investment would be £500,000 and could be the difference between automatic promotion / play offs, or missing out on the top six by the season's end.

Bobby Zamora would be top of that list and he's far better than any of our crop of forwards. I don't see why we couldn't afford wages of say £25,000 per week, for the remaining 20 or so weeks of this season as an investment in a proven striker. If we're serious about Premiership football then we do need to sign a quality goalscorer. Yes, players available for permanent signings are thin on the ground and this is why the loan system could be a better option.

At £25,000 per week for 20 weeks the investment would be £500,000 and could be the difference between automatic promotion / play offs, or missing out on the top six by the season's end.

I really can't see why they'd let him go out on loan - and he's not playing currently because he's injured.

Well, this is all just subjective fun, but we could still consider loaning in a Premiership player on those wages if they became available.

Well yes, but I'd suggest that any Premiership side paying a striker those sort of wages is going to want him available for the first team.

If we loan from a Prem side it will probably be a youth player. Someone like Bendtner for Brum last season would be ideal though I can't name any off the top of my head.

I rather suspect we will be bringing in a promising young player from a lower league side or abroad myself.

I rather suspect we will be bringing in a promising young player from a lower league side or abroad myself.

I think that you're probably right.

The promising young player could still be Joe Garner, who, according to today's News of the World will soon be the subject of a bid from Charlton - who are also watching Forest Green's Stuart Fleetwood.

Is it me, or have Charlton been associated with every prodigeous striker in the Coca Cola League and beyond this season?

It's always bloody Charlton!! :10_1_108:

I think that you're probably right.

The promising young player could still be Joe Garner, who, according to today's News of the World will soon be the subject of a bid from Charlton - who are also watching Forest Green's Stuart Fleetwood.

Is it me, or have Charlton been associated with every prodigeous striker in the Coca Cola League and beyond this season?

It's always bloody Charlton!! :10_1_108:

They've bought half of them too.

Mcleod, Varney, Iwelumo, Todorov... Pardew's being a bit greedy methinks.

Still the cheating ###### needs all the help he can get.

Can we trust johnson to buy a striker apart from Byfield the rest have been poor i am talking front men

Gary Johnsons next move has to be a striker,he nows that,we now that "QUITE SIMPLY WE NEED THE TOP QUALITY PROVEN STRIKER"

The next signing I'm sure will be a striker,we can not wait for Brooker and hope he can cut the mustard again.

The situation I'm sure will be rectified in the very near future.

This will be very very important to the out come at the seasons end.

We need more goals from the strikers positions.

Reality is Trundle has not done it,Shuwumni has not done it,Noble has not done it,only Byfield looks like he is going to score goals for us regularly

EXACTAMONDO!!!!

The only thing i don't like about the idea of Connoly is that it's Gj changing his transfer policy of buying players that can improve or haven't fulfilled their potential. Connolly can't and IMO has and is on the down slope.

Not saying bringing him in would be a bad idea, but it would be a drastic change of policy.

I expect a continental randomer.

Guest ashtonyate
Gary Johnsons next move has to be a striker,he nows that,we now that "QUITE SIMPLY WE NEED THE TOP QUALITY PROVEN STRIKER"

The next signing I'm sure will be a striker,we can not wait for Brooker and hope he can cut the mustard again.

The situation I'm sure will be rectified in the very near future.

This will be very very important to the out come at the seasons end.

We need more goals from the strikers positions.

Reality is Trundle has not done it,Shuwumni has not done it,Noble has not done it,only Byfield looks like he is going to score goals for us regularly

Not being funny but I have been saying that nearly ever since Johnson has been here.

We have had Savage the Irish man? Jevons Trundle players like Betsy who is a wide midfielder I know apart from Byfield the rest have been poor I will say it again can we trust Johnson to buy us a forward

Not being funny but I have been saying that nearly ever since Johnson has been here.

We have had Savage the Irish man? Jevons Trundle players like Betsy who is a wide midfielder I know apart from Byfield the rest have been poor I will say it again can we trust Johnson to buy us a forward

To be honest Ashton Yate his forward purchases have not been that great,else where FANTASTIC,Yet we sit joint top amazeing really.

GJ nows there is a problem up front,I'm sure he will sort it.

5 MILLION could generate 60 million it depends if we want it,cus it is there for the taking.

A quality saying WHO DARES WINS there is no better chance in over 20 years.

you also need to pursuade that £5m player to leave presumably another championship club; get paid similar or lower money; and accept that either he isnt ready for the premiership just yet or that the little club from league 1 arent actually a flash in the pan and do actually have a chance of going up. None of that is easy!

I agree with sentiments above - *of course* we need a prolific striker, but there arent many teams who don't!!

We have a new striker signed for Jan - he's called Steve Brooker, and if/when he gets fit, he'll be plenty good enough for a team who stats prove will have an extremely good chance of automatic promotion or at least the playoffs if the manager changes *absolutely nothing*!!!

EXACTAMONDO!!!!

yeah - "exactamondo"

except what exactly do you think will happen in the dressing room after Zamora - new to the club and maybe without any mates in the squad - has a poor game, or misses a sitter? What do players like Lee Johnson earning probably a 10th of his wage think?

in 1998 we brought in loads of players on big money, and it destroyed the dressing room and we went down. Real life isnt like championship manager - notion we would put a player on £25k a week when we appear to be joint top without him is just daft.

Just wait for Brooker, and in the meantime - why don't we just carry on beating everyone, eh?

you also need to pursuade that £5m player to leave presumably another championship club; get paid similar or lower money; and accept that either he isnt ready for the premiership just yet or that the little club from league 1 arent actually a flash in the pan and do actually have a chance of going up. None of that is easy!

I agree with sentiments above - *of course* we need a prolific striker, but there arent many teams who don't!!

We have a new striker signed for Jan - he's called Steve Brooker, and if/when he gets fit, he'll be plenty good enough for a team who stats prove will have an extremely good chance of automatic promotion or at least the playoffs if the manager changes *absolutely nothing*!!!

You seem to be pinning your hopes on Brooker,we can hope and prey

I would love Brooker to come back the man we lost,however three things come to mind.

1,Can we wait a good month and hope he cuts it

2,The pressure on the guy is MASSIVE just getting back playing championship football.

Should we as fans expect him to come back and hit 15 goals for the remainder of the season.

3,What if the unthinkable happens and he breaks down again WE ALL HOPE AND PREY IT DOES NOT HAPPEN BUT WE JUST DO NOT NOW AT THIS TIME.

You seem to be pinning your hopes on Brooker,we can hope and prey

I would love Brooker to come back the man we lost,however three things come to mind.

1,Can we wait a good month and hope he cuts it

2,The pressure on the guy is MASSIVE just getting back playing championship football.

Should we as fans expect him to come back and hit 15 goals for the remainder of the season.

3,What if the unthinkable happens and he breaks down again WE ALL HOPE AND PREY IT DOES NOT HAPPEN BUT WE JUST DO NOT NOW AT THIS TIME.

Believe all three points are valid but also believe that G.J and the mngt team will obtain the services of a striker on loan with the possibility of signing at seasons end . Zamora , Earnshaw and whoever else not playing first team prem . football would see City in a different light to the beginning of the season .

They are in the shop window pos . playing for us with a chance of a further deal , if not here, elsewhere , where as with their current sides they are languishing in the reserves or bench .

Whether we can afford their wages and how G.J and K.M believe they will affect the changing room will be factors , but we are exceeding our expectations and with the opportunity there , I believe the club will go for it . :goingup: :goingup:

Believe all three points are valid but also believe that G.J and the mngt team will obtain the services of a striker on loan with the possibility of signing at seasons end . Zamora , Earnshaw and whoever else not playing first team prem . football would see City in a different light to the beginning of the season .

They are in the shop window pos . playing for us with a chance of a further deal , if not here, elsewhere , where as with their current sides they are languishing in the reserves or bench .

Whether we can afford their wages and how G.J and K.M believe they will affect the changing room will be factors , but we are exceeding our expectations and with the opportunity there , I believe the club will go for it . :goingup: :goingup:

The striker will come I'm sure,GJ has said a striker is a priority,it is just a case of who and when.

Personally the qiucker the better.I just hope the right person arrives to help us fight for second spot.

yeah - "exactamondo"

except what exactly do you think will happen in the dressing room after Zamora - new to the club and maybe without any mates in the squad - has a poor game, or misses a sitter? What do players like Lee Johnson earning probably a 10th of his wage think?

in 1998 we brought in loads of players on big money, and it destroyed the dressing room and we went down. Real life isnt like championship manager - notion we would put a player on £25k a week when we appear to be joint top without him is just daft.

Just wait for Brooker, and in the meantime - why don't we just carry on beating everyone, eh?

People were saying the same about Trundle.

Anyway, I was commenting more about the fact we could afford to get a proven player on loan, rather than talk about Zamora per se..Anyway he's injured!

Relax

Archived