IGNORED

Leave The Fans Alone

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

I am getting fed up with the stick the fans are getting, we don't sing loud enough, we leave to early, not enough of us go to matches we moan to much.

Well all I can say is just be thankful after years of poor teams under achieving the gate has gone up year on year since Johnson has been in charge.

We pay one of the most money's to attend games in the division. After years of false promises I think the fans are coming back to support the City but in truth some cannot afford to come to matches now.

We don't sing enough well some of the Football we serve up is a bit nerve racking and the west Country people are reserved but when the team are on form I think the atmosphere is not half bad.

I must admit I can not understand why fans leave a bit early someone who sit's near me always goes with 3 min to go don't knock them for that just be thankful they came.

Lastly moaning is people views that you don't agree with but at least they have a view

Well done to every body who gets down to the Gate May be one game or every game you are doing great

I am getting fed up with the stick the fans are getting, we don't sing loud enough, we leave to early, not enough of us go to matches we moan to much.

Well all I can say is just be thankful after years of poor teams under achieving the gate has gone up year on year since Johnson has been in charge.

We pay one of the most money's to attend games in the division. After years of false promises I think the fans are coming back to support the City but in truth some cannot afford to come to matches now.

We don't sing enough well some of the Football we serve up is a bit nerve racking and the west Country people are reserved but when the team are on form I think the atmosphere is not half bad.

I must admit I can not understand why fans leave a bit early someone who sit's near me always goes with 3 min to go don't knock them for that just be thankful they came.

Lastly moaning is people views that you don't agree with but at least they have a view

Well done to every body who gets down to the Gate May be one game or every game you are doing great

Too right - the other thread is turning into a fan v fan debate - that really helps the club!! Someone posted that next week they will have a word with the early leavers- my God - what is that all about? Bound to turn nasty a few punches could be thrown and that will inspire theteam will it? - what about the late arrivers, the ones that have a few beers and need a few leaks, the ones that head to the bar 5 mins before half time - if this is all started by GJ then he should think long and hard - 2 weeks ago he siad that AG was a great place - teams were afraid to come here - great support - now we are are early leaving losers - it is just so sad.

Opinion is fine but as soon as we start slagging each other off we are on a slippery slope - those that want to stay fine, those that leave do it quickly as poss and try not to block views but whatever your choice lets not fight amongst ourselves about it

Good post, comments about the fans lack of support, lack of atmosphere, leaving early are unecessary, I don't hear a peep from the coaches that say lack of reasonable ticket pricing is having a bad effect on the club.

All these comments do is drive a fat wedge between the fans, not needed at all, keep those comments to yourself because things like leaving early has always happened and always will.

We played arse yesterday, and I think that is why this comment came out, he ran out of things to say about the bad performance and had a pop, Gary never mentioned the great support he and the players get at the end of a victory coming back into the Atyeo, where the majority stay and clap and cheer him off the pitch.

i agree with you 100%!!! we're not a massive team, but for the size we are i think our fan base and support is good. just because we don't sing for 90 minutes doesnt mean we are less passionate than the people who sing the whole time. sometime I'm too nervous to speak let alone sing, and just because i live 3 hours from bristol doesnt mean that a season ticket holder loves the club more than me, we as supporters need to be as one, not arguing amongst ourselves ('we sing louder than you') we should all support our club in our own way and be happy with that

Guest ashtonyate
AY, normally I am diametrically opposed to every single word you write.

However on this highly unusual occasion I agree 100% with every single word you have written. Well said, that man.

I am going for a lie down..

A broken clock is right twice a day

I think much of the problem of crowd size and early leavers is due to the parking restrictions and the readiness of the police to tow away so called illegally parked cars (another money making scam). I have been to watch Rennes (en France) several times their average crowd is about 25k, however when PSG, Lyon, Marseille or local derbies with Lorient or Nantes are played the crowd go up to 34k, The Gendarmes allow cars to park (virtually) anywhere, The car drivers are well aware that if they do cause an obstruction to property or are parked dangerously (they will be towed). The Gendarmes view is that the cars will be gone in 2 hrs and that they have more important things to do, Surely that is a more sensible approach.

Also the Gendarmes/CRS are very low profile and only deployed in the event of trouble (which is rare) and at games where there are only a few away fans you will find only a handfull of motorcycle cops directing traffic.

For me the matchday experience in Rennes is very stress free, Firstly the parking is easy and close to the ground, Entering the ground is easy, Tickets have a bar code which activates the barrier, a quick search and your in (no long queues) the concourses behind the stands are huge and have TV's, bar and food outlets and leaving the ground is just as easy and you know your car will still be there waiting for you.

I don't think this unusual, I have had similar experiences at Nantes and Lorient, If we get our new stadium the parking issue must be resolved, Football is expensive enough without having the stress and expense of being towed away.

Oh by the way top post ashtonyate.

We played arse yesterday, and I think that is why this comment came out, he ran out of things to say about the bad performance and had a pop, Gary never mentioned the great support he and the players get at the end of a victory coming back into the Atyeo, where the majority stay and clap and cheer him off the pitch.

I think that you are missing his point.

When you are 2-1 down to a Prem side with 10 mins to go, that's when the team need the fans to lift them, especially if the performance has been below par.

The sight of thousands streaming from the ground hardly inspires a storming finish does it?

It's all very well getting great support at the end of a victory coming back into the Atyeo, but the games over by then.

GJ was asking for fans to get behind the players when they need it most.

also let's face it ay you are among the first to criticise and others on here do nothing but so why should GJ say what he thinks. He has often been fullsome in his praise for the atmosphere and the fans as was SL in his recent interview. An off the cuff comment on disappointment with fans leaving early when the team is joint top of the CC is a hanging offence and not sure how that drives a wedge between fans and the club.

as a supporter, I think its my responsibility to play my part to help the team. And means making as much noise as i can and staying for the full 90 minutes. the noiser we are, the more itimidating it is for the opposition.... which helps the team..

I just cant get my head round why supporters don't sing. How can you just sit there and watch? how boring!

And leaving early is disgraceful.... i know some people have reasons but all those fans hundreds or even thousands? It dosent help the players to see people leaving, infact i suspect its more like a kick in the teeth.... Its like saying you don't have confidence in them scoring.

I left early once, cos i was on crutches.... to leave to get home quicker is ridiculous imo

sorry but the players , manager and board members hear fans complain everyday

so why can't they complain about the fans. it is a two way situation.

they take it on board and try to rectify it, so all i am saying is why can't the fans?

Guest ashtonyate
sorry but the players , manager and board members hear fans complain everyday

so why can't they complain about the fans. it is a two way situation.

they take it on board and try to rectify it, so all i am saying is why can't the fans?

But remember one thing the customer is always right he pay the wages

But remember one thing the customer is always right he pay the wages

Why don't you take your custom elsewhere if you don't like it then? (rhetorical)

City fans seem responsive not proactive on the whole, is all I'm saying. ha edit: apart from this - Strange idea of 'support' if you ask me, It's more of a self indulged fix (or lack of it) if anything.

I sat in the Williams yesterday, and thought I was in a library, or waiting room, as it was beyond pathetic !

I kid you not the bloke sat next to me was leaning over and nearly whispering to his mate, as though he was emarrassed to speak !

I mean what's that all about ?

I looked around and most looked like they were in their front room watching telly, and only seem to raise their voices when a pass goes astray, the occasional "Come on you reds" or we score a goal, but seem incapable of any kind of positive support.

You don't have to sing for 90 minutes, but surely people can shout encouragement to the boys ? :tv_horror:

Was it because people got a soaking before the game, and were muted ?

But this was supposed to be the blood and thunder of the F.A.Cup, with all the conditions supposedly in our favour, for a giant killing.

The trouble is when certain groups decide to pipe up a song, unfortunately it's normaly about Rovers running away, which must really pump up our lads on the pitch ! :disapointed2se:

Just bloody forget about those non enteties, for God's sake !

We have got a fair amount of passionate fans, as most clubs, but it seems we are far outnumbered by the silent majority, probably to do with all seating, and the sterile surroundings that the powers that be have forced on football fans for our general well being ????

Maybe it's paying £20 for a bit of 40 year old wood, with enough room for a 7 year old child to move around on ?

I said to my mate yesterday, I wonder what Americans would make of it, as most of them seem 4 times the size of us !

I think it's also fair to say, as I heard an Arsenal fan on the radio with the same gripe earlier, it's gone corporate middle class, due to admission prices, and taken the game away from it's previous fan base, as loads of people have been priced out of it.

All you can do is keeping screaming encouragement to the players, and hope it'll rub off on those who've taken a vow of silence.

I've been shocked by our attendances more than anything lately, and wonder why we're not selling out, with the team where we are ?

My biggest gripe is parking around the Gate, which I'm sure does put off a lot of fans.

I just hope when the new ground is built it'll be easier to access, and get out of, then people can stay untill the end.

I think G.J. is spot on, if he's had a moan, although it won't make the slightest difference to our lot, unfortunately.

When you are 2-1 down to a Prem side with 10 mins to go, that's when the team need the fans to lift them, especially if the performance has been below par.

The sight of thousands streaming from the ground hardly inspires a storming finish does it?

It's all very well getting great support at the end of a victory coming back into the Atyeo, but the games over by then.

If I'm missing it, your missing it too, fans have always done it since time itself began, it doesnt make any difference at all, otherwise we would be letting in late goals every game.

GJ is a sore loser, I am glad of this, it means when he does lose he can blame anything from fans leaving early to the orbit of the moon, sorry, but we lost because they were better.

I would argue it adds to the drama of the game when mass hoardes are beside the pitch at the end of the game. Pretty off putting if your an opposition player standing 3 feet from a mass crowd.

This whole thing is getting crazy.The issue of lack of atmosphere is completely down to the club not allowing enough supporters in to an area with non reserved seating, so liked minded people can get together and make a noise.Until action is taken on this then nothing will change.So maybe GJ needs to talk to Steve Lansdown.Also the issue of when people leave is totally down to them.As long as they pay it's up to them.It is getting out of line when some fans start to dictate to others when they can or can't leave.

i agree with you 100%!!! we're not a massive team, but for the size we are i think our fan base and support is good. just because we don't sing for 90 minutes doesnt mean we are less passionate than the people who sing the whole time. sometime I'm too nervous to speak let alone sing, and just because i live 3 hours from bristol doesnt mean that a season ticket holder loves the club more than me, we as supporters need to be as one, not arguing amongst ourselves ('we sing louder than you') we should all support our club in our own way and be happy with that

and as a football fan i agree with you as well..at least youve made the effort to go..we always took the mick when we played you lot when you all make the mass exodus,its a long standing joke(excuse the pun)what you don't need is critisism when youve put the effort in to show up..youre getting there it seems just do what you do best and support your team.

What a great post! Agree with you 100%. There seems to be a fair bit of stick coming the fans way at the moment. Why isn't the ground full every week (SL)?, why aren't you all singing(GJ)?, why are people leaving at the 90th minute (GJ)?.

What SL and CS should be doing is thanking the fans that DO turn up week on week, home and away and finding ways of attracting people who don't come to City games.

Keep criticising and people will be driven away.

On the leaving early thing, I sit towards the back of the Dolman with my dad who is in his 70s. He tends to leave his seat at the end of 90 minutes and walk straight down to the front corner between the Dolman and Atyeo so he doesn't get in anyones way. He leaves at the final whistle and moves the car. By the time myself and friends reach the car park, we jump in and away we go, back home. We didn't take dad to a game and waited until the final whistle before we moved. It took us nearly 15 minutes to get out of the Dolman and added 45 minutes to the time it took us to get home.

IMHO, the design of the Dolman is an issue as any fan leaving has to block someone elses view in order to leave. This doesn't happen at other grounds where there are any more exits / entrances.

At every away game, you can see home fans streaming out around the 90 minute mark, they just don't block peoples view!

I can understand peoples frustrations with early leavers but they won't stop. The club will have to bring in some kind of rule that if you leave your seat then you must walk straight to the corner / leave the stadium as since this has been raised on here, I have noticed many people in the Dolman have found a new sport namely the worlds slowest walking competition! Now these people DO block others view and something has to be done or I can see punches being thrown!

I suppose the new stadium will sort this issue out but we will have to put up with it until then.

Well done to all the fans who attend games, and give us some credit SL, after all we ARE there!

I think GJ, like most managers/pundits in truth, knows nothing about being a fan.That being said, thousands leave early every week and have done for thirty years.It's just more noticeable because we have a major stand which can only be exited from the front.The new stadium will solve one problem, ear exit, but not the other, early leavers and walk outs.It also happens at many other grounds and some where the fans are meant to be brilliant-Newcastle for example.

The real probelms for managers comes when the away fans turn and, even when we were done six at Ipswich and were abysmall throughout, that didn't happen-Let's see what happens if Newcastle get done by even two at Stoke!!

the customer is not always right

i am a customer and i know that i am not always right.

Correct, however, you ARE always the customer!

Spectators at Ashton Gate are spending their own cash in their own leisure time. Do any of them tell GJ how to spend his money in his leisure time.

Football Supportes are changing/being forced to change.The singers and jumpers up and down have been banned, priced out and don't you dare gesticulate or swear or you'll get a three year ban.I'm sure booing will also soon be outlawed as will groaning when someone does something truly crap.

That old adage about being careful what you wish for comes to mind-If you sanitise the game, don't complain when you lose some of the bits you want to keep....when it suits you.

I think much of the problem of crowd size and early leavers is due to the parking restrictions and the readiness of the police to tow away so called illegally parked cars (another money making scam). I have been to watch Rennes (en France) several times their average crowd is about 25k, however when PSG, Lyon, Marseille or local derbies with Lorient or Nantes are played the crowd go up to 34k, The Gendarmes allow cars to park (virtually) anywhere, The car drivers are well aware that if they do cause an obstruction to property or are parked dangerously (they will be towed). The Gendarmes view is that the cars will be gone in 2 hrs and that they have more important things to do, Surely that is a more sensible approach.

Also the Gendarmes/CRS are very low profile and only deployed in the event of trouble (which is rare) and at games where there are only a few away fans you will find only a handfull of motorcycle cops directing traffic.

For me the matchday experience in Rennes is very stress free, Firstly the parking is easy and close to the ground, Entering the ground is easy, Tickets have a bar code which activates the barrier, a quick search and your in (no long queues) the concourses behind the stands are huge and have TV's, bar and food outlets and leaving the ground is just as easy and you know your car will still be there waiting for you.

I don't think this unusual, I have had similar experiences at Nantes and Lorient, If we get our new stadium the parking issue must be resolved, Football is expensive enough without having the stress and expense of being towed away.

Oh by the way top post ashtonyate.

I went to Rennes againt Sochaux in september

parked 500 yards from ground

Paid 24 euros to sit on the half way line (£15 ish) 14 euros behind the goal

The noise the "Rouge et Noir" made was unreal

got right behind thier team for the whole 90mins

even though they lost 2 nil

If I'm missing it, your missing it too, fans have always done it since time itself began, it doesnt make any difference at all, otherwise we would be letting in late goals every game.

If it doesn't make any difference at all, then why bother supporting at all?

GJ is a sore loser, I am glad of this,

Why are you glad that GJ is a sore loser?

it means when he does lose he can blame anything from fans leaving early to the orbit of the moon,

Where did he say he blamed the fans (or the orbit of the moon for that matter)?

He said the whole club has got to learn, on and off the pitch.

He said that he felt that too many people were going home early, and he was disappointed about that.

I, and many others at the ground and on here, have the same opinion regarding people leaving early. So where is the problem with GJ expressing his?

Is he not entitled to an opinion?

After all, everyone on here seems to be entitled to an opinion about him and the team.

sorry, but we lost because they were better.

Exactly what GJ said.

"They were the better side".

"They deserved it."

I would argue it adds to the drama of the game when mass hoardes are beside the pitch at the end of the game. Pretty off putting if your an opposition player standing 3 feet from a mass crowd.

I don't disagree with that.

The truth was that the vast majority that went early weren't beside the pitch at the end of the game.

It's OK when GJ says how good the fans are and applauds them for their support. We can all congratulate ourselves then, and feel good that we're the best supporters in the land.

But once there's even a hint of criticism, the toys start to be thrown out of the pram!

There is another topic on the forum questioning whether Noble will ever last 90 minutes. A little ironic when some of our fans can't.

Of course, fans pay their money and make their choice yadda yadda yadda. I think that the point which GJ was making was merely that the team would be better served by those that leave their seats early staying, especially when the game is finely poised, to give their support.

Archived