IGNORED

Basso

tin

Firstly, Basso's come on leaps and bounds this season and in general since he joined the club. He's been solid for us for the most part of the season but I reckon it could well be time to take him out of the firing line after yesterday. Downing's shot wasn't hit hard, it didn't skid up off the surface and it was the latest in a line of errors that has led to goals conceded in recent games.

Starting with Barnsley's second goal, two goals at WBA on Boxing Day - the calamity that was the third and the shot that allowed Phillips to grab his second and their fourth, and the Downing effort yesterday. Carey's absence may well have something to do with the downturn in his game so maybe giving Weale a little run out against Colchester, just until Louis is back at least, could be beneficial.

Thoughts?

Firstly, Basso's come on leaps and bounds this season and in general since he joined the club. He's been solid for us for the most part of the season but I reckon it could well be time to take him out of the firing line after yesterday. Downing's shot wasn't hit hard, it didn't skid up off the surface and it was the latest in a line of errors that has led to goals conceded in recent games.

Starting with Barnsley's second goal, two goals at WBA on Boxing Day - the calamity that was the third and the shot that allowed Phillips to grab his second and their fourth, and the Downing effort yesterday. Carey's absence may well have something to do with the downturn in his game so maybe giving Weale a little run out against Colchester, just until Louis is back at least, could be beneficial.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you are going to be lynched for suggesting this!!

Thoughts?

Thoughts......drink a tad more Natch Tins.......... :innocent06:

He's made a couple of mistakes in recent games, if it carries on then yes Weale should get a chance same as any other player in the side.

Basso's improved immensely but I think some people are a little OTT about his ability probably because of his character.

Thoughts?

Very clever, I like what you've done!! This should create a diversion form the "johnson bashing" and the "early leaver" threads! Lets just hope they buy it :whistle2:

I honestly think he will get a few more games, then if he isnt as confident/ reliable as usual i beleive Weale will get his chance. I remember in GJs time at Yeovil he gave Mildenhall 5 or 6 games as first choice when Weale wasn't performing at his best.

All in all, great to be able to drop keeper of Basso's ability and replace him with Weale. Happy days all round.

My thoughts are that you are going to be lynched for suggesting this!!

Probably but I don't care. I'm just playing devil's advocate. Thought the Carey point was quite a good one personally...

Thoughts......drink a tad more Natch Tins.......... :innocent06:

Had far too much of the Natural Dry yesterday mate!

Very clever, I like what you've done!! This should create a diversion form the "johnson bashing" and the "early leaver" threads! Lets just hope they buy it :whistle2:

Haha, busted! You've seen through my rouse! The other stuff's boring me a touch to be honest.

... the suggestion that Basso could be a top Premiership goalkeeper (as many suggest on here) is simply ludicrous with the errors he makes.

I disagee.

His errors compare very favourably with those of Robinson, James and Lehman to name just three. :innocent06:

Thoughts?

You having a laugh! No way! It`s very easy to say.. Ok.. this player has made a bad mistake, lets drop him. Bear in mind it was a rare mistake that Basso made when he let the ball slip through his gloves. You could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he`s made this year, let alone this season. He`s been superb for us overrall this season and a rare mistake isn`t enough for him to be dropped. If it was the latest in a series of mistakes, then yes i`d be up for dropping him. But definatly not. No wonder people say fans are fickle..

Over the last couple of games, Basso has dropped below the standard we know that he is capable of. We have a good back-up who has always done well when played, so why not drop Basso for a few games. No player should ever be guaranteed a place in the team......

I disagee.

His errors compare very favourably with those of Robinson, James and Lehman to name just three. :innocent06:

I would bet my bottom dollar that their mistakes per game ratio is much much less then that of Basso's. James in particluar has been playing at the highest level of England football for many many years, in fact has the most clean sheets in the premiership.

I find the talk of Basso in the same breath as the three keepers you mention laughable.

Joe Murphy at Scunthorpe, Hennessy at Wolves and Kenny at Sheff Utd are all much better and more dependable 'keepers than ours.

I like Bass, I rate him highly but he is a good championship keeper and nothing else.

You having a laugh! No way! It`s very easy to say.. Ok.. this player has made a bad mistake, lets drop him. Bear in mind it was a rare mistake that Basso made when he let the ball slip through his gloves. You could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he`s made this year, let alone this season. He`s been superb for us overrall this season and a rare mistake isn`t enough for him to be dropped. If it was the latest in a series of mistakes, then yes i`d be up for dropping him. But definatly not. No wonder people say fans are fickle..

No I'm not having a laugh, merely floating an idea. From what I've read on another thread today it seems his mind maybe not 100% on his game at the moment, for whatever reason, and it's been reflected by mistakes in the games vs Barnsley, WBA and Boro. Just suggesting maybe the bloke could use a rest, not hang him out to dry forever! :noexpression:

I would bet my bottom dollar that their mistakes per game ratio is much much less then that of Basso's. James in particluar has been playing at the highest level of England football for many many years, in fact has the most clean sheets in the premiership.

I find the talk of Basso in the same breath as the three keepers you mention laughable.

Joe Murphy at S****horpe, Hennessy at Wolves and Kenny at Sheff Utd are all much better and more dependable 'keepers than ours.

I like Bass, I rate him highly but he is a good championship keeper and nothing else.

My point was that all keepers, at whatever level, make mistakes.

Whilst Basso made several when he first came into the side, he now makes less than many other keepers IMO.

judging by some of the posts on here recently, it seems that pretty much every player in the squad should be "rested/pulled out of firing line/dropped" for their own good, because most of the have been terrible this season and in recent games, especially the last 3 wins in the last 4 league games.

:noexpression:

Thoughts?

Maybee we should count all his outstandings saves as well? The best keeper in The Championship. Absolutely no reason for Basso to be replaced.

Id rather him make the mistake he did in the cup rather than the league. Let's hope it's out of the way and he can push on again in the league. There's no reason why he can't.

He's a quality goalkeeper but another very significant factor is that he has made a great contribution to team spirit. So I hope the two little recent incidents are not indicative of that side of things slipping away. He wants to play in the premiership and quite rightly he dreams and believes he can. Let's hope these small out of character niggles are not a sign that he has read the paper talk of premier clubs watching him and then got disillusioned after reading that GJ will not let any first team players leave. GJ has already said he doesn't think any would want to leave regardless of offers unless it were a top four side. I hope that applies to Basso as surely he must realise that his best chance of being first-choice keeper in a premiership side is with us. I think his weaker performances against premiership Middlesborough show he might have been a bit too keen to impress - getting too tense or uptight can't be good for the reflexes.

Well, it seems these Basso mistakes keep coming and coming at the moment. Yesterday was another shocker on his part. Whilst the first goal was unfortunate with the defending leaving a lot to be desired, the second goal he highly culpable again, to add to those errors I listed above. He also nearly gifted Tom Soares a goal in the first half when it trickled just past the post after he came and missed it.

I dunno what's going on with him at the moment but he is out of sorts. Every player suffers dips in form during a season but the time has come to give Weale his chance I'm afraid.

Cue a barrage of abuse! :rain:

No abuse. just whole hearted agreement. There is something wrong with Adriano as a whole at present - Is he carrying an injury after Cardiff's Thompson almost amputated his left leg??????. Strange that he stormed out of Ashton after the Middlesbrough match and even during the warm ups where normally he would wave to the kids, etc. he has not been his normal self over the last few matches. Carey's absence has definetly not helped. Yesterdays goals, the first was just a joke made into an absolute pantomime by the defenders in front of him, but, if one was super critical you could argue that he could have come out and cleared everything in front of him, defenders, attackers the ball et al. The second was totally down to him and it is sad to report that it wasn't even close, he was miles away.

We would all agree that Adriano is a super bloke and 100% commited but at present for whatever reason he appears to have lost confidence. Was GJ referring to him when asked "If some of the departments in the team at Selhurst were not up to normal standard?" and replied "Definetly".

I think GJ has a quandry - Does he keep Basso in against Blackpool and hope he will come through it and be back to his normal self or does he give him a rest and give Chris Weale a go, who when he came on against Boro really didnt instill massive confidence????

Difficult one, especially when, our problems up front are clearly just as serious if not more? Personally I think "if" Steve allows GJ to get the cheque book out and buy the much needed striker this week (personally I think we have missed a golden opportunity with Andy Gray going to Charlton for 1.5 million) then GJ should persevere with AB against Blackpool especially if Louis is back as I think there will be other areas for everyone to concentrate on at the Gate next Saturday.

If there is no movement during the week staff wise then i personally feel that Weale should be between the sticks against Blackpool as "if" Adriano did make another error and there is nothing else for the fans/media to spotlight on such as the performance of a new signing then it could do Adriano's confidence irreperable damage.

Archived