IGNORED

Are City Big Enough

PAPA650

Bristol is a big city with 2 football teams, 1 bigger than the other of course, it puzzles me why were equal top and can not fill the ground ? even in fa cup !! i know most will say it's down to the prices , but being so high in the table just makes me think is there enough support for the bcfc ? gas heads took 8k fans to their last cup game which suprised me again, so is the city of bristol really split between two teams of fans ??? i know there is the rugby of course from what i can see get a very good turn out for their match's so that makes three teams in bristol as far as support in concerned, so are you getting the picture !! yes if we did go up we would attract more closet support but will it be enough ? the new proposed ground will be 30k so how much attendance will we get in the prem and if we don't go up into the promise land what will the ground be like with only average 15k gate !!! makes me wonder, yes best solution is for the gas to go bust then there will be only 1 team then things will be ok, but that would be too much to ask for :fingerscrossed: so how do you lot feel about my concern ????? PAPA :winner_third_h4h:

I just think its all happening a bit fast, you don't grow loyal fans overnight and I think we would be getting fairly similar crowds if we were mid-table.

There is also the large amateur football scene, and very few players would have expected a promotion drive from City when they signed up to their clubs againat the sart of the season.

I also think the slum that is Ashton Gate is also partly responsible.

We don't have a real quality of football here in Melbourne but we do have stadium here that make the the experience of going to a football match a great day/night out

Seats have good views and are spacious and comfortable food and drink is plentiful and easy to get.The train station which has stops or links to most suburbs is just a few hundred meters walk you park at your suburbs station and catch the train.Pricing is $10 adult $5 concession ( About 4.50 per adult in sterling) This is for a daily ticket and covers all transport in the city on buses. trams and trains for 1 day.

Outside the stadium other venues of entertainment are close by and can be walked to if you don't want to go straight home after the match.

Plus of course we generally have better weather to enjoy the match in.

Just a pity the football is s**t.

Bristol City attendances will be ok once the new stadium is built .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Dome

We don't have a real quality of football here in Melbourne but we do have stadium here that make the the experience of going to a football match a great day/night out

Seats have good views and are spacious and comfortable food and drink is plentiful and easy to get.The train station which has stops or links to most suburbs is just a few hundred meters walk you park at your suburbs station and catch the train.Pricing is $10 adult $5 concession ( About 4.50 per adult in sterling) This is for a daily ticket and covers all transport in the city on buses. trams and trains for 1 day.

Outside the stadium other venues of entertainment are close by and can be walked to if you don't want to go straight home after the match.

i agree the Telstra Dome is very nice.

Off to a Qld Roar game this weekend against Sydney, is my first Roar game other than on tele.

i agree the Telstra Dome is very nice.

Off to a Qld Roar game this weekend against Sydney, is my first Roar game other than on tele.

I am back and forth to Melbourne from London every month at the moment.

I'm usually only there a week at a time but the stadium are top drawer.

I haven't ever seen an A league game actually - I did try and watch some of it on TV but gave up - it looked sort of L1 standard.

I did notice Robbie Slater and the old Southend captain presenting the Premiership though!

Lovely place Melbourne but doing this flight every month is doing my head in. 44 ######in hours on a plane there and back!

Very nice ground BCFC should ask for your plans for the new ground, nice to see transport is easy for every one, and as you say there is other places and things to do whilst there, good lay out and day out

As someone said earlier in this thread it takes time. If we achieve promotion this year i have no doubt we will sell out every game at Ashton Gate next season. And if we were then able to stay up and become established in the prem and are still there when the new stadium is built we have got to hope we would be getting about 25,000 each game. Its from then that we will need the fanbase to grow i.e young bristol kids would hopefully come to watch city in the prem instead of instantly pledging their support to Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

lets also not forget if we were able to establish in the prem we would be able to bring in a higher class of player that would put more bums on seats.

Bristol is a big city with 2 football teams, 1 bigger than the other of course, it puzzles me why were equal top and can not fill the ground ? even in fa cup !! i know most will say it's down to the prices , but being so high in the table just makes me think is there enough support for the bcfc ? gas heads took 8k fans to their last cup game which suprised me again, so is the city of bristol really split between two teams of fans ??? i know there is the rugby of course from what i can see get a very good turn out for their match's so that makes three teams in bristol as far as support in concerned, so are you getting the picture !! yes if we did go up we would attract more closet support but will it be enough ? the new proposed ground will be 30k so how much attendance will we get in the prem and if we don't go up into the promise land what will the ground be like with only average 15k gate !!! makes me wonder, yes best solution is for the gas to go bust then there will be only 1 team then things will be ok, but that would be too much to ask for :fingerscrossed: so how do you lot feel about my concern ????? PAPA :winner_third_h4h:

I'm a little concerned about this too. My biggest worry is that GJ, having said he'd only leave Yeovil for a couple of clubs and clearly identifying City as one of those 'big' potential places will get dissillousioned with it - his occasional coments about fans and support, whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and the boards clear enthusiasm to try and get gates up might be seen as evidence for this and, possibly a reason for him going elsewhere before he otherwise might .... Portsmouth maybe!

I'm a little concerned about this too. My biggest worry is that GJ, having said he'd only leave Yeovil for a couple of clubs and clearly identifying City as one of those 'big' potential places will get dissillousioned with it - his occasional coments about fans and support, whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and the boards clear enthusiasm to try and get gates up might be seen as evidence for this and, possibly a reason for him going elsewhere before he otherwise might .... Portsmouth maybe!

Speculation . Are we all worrying about nothing . Are we sharing our innermost fears with the many on this forum , the ones we don't know and may never ever see and converse in person with . We are sharing our deepest innermost thoughts with strangers . We are sharing our worries and concerns with strangers who are willing to listen and help ease the pain , we hope .

I've got three ulcers just typing this out , and have noticed a bold patch in the mirror at the back of my head .

Lets not wish G.J away , lets wish he stay . :worship2::worship2:

Speculation . Are we all worrying about nothing . Are we sharing our innermost fears with the many on this forum , the ones we don't know and may never ever see and converse in person with . We are sharing our deepest innermost thoughts with strangers . We are sharing our worries and concerns with strangers who are willing to listen and help ease the pain , we hope .

I've got three ulcers just typing this out , and have noticed a bold patch in the mirror at the back of my head .

Lets not wish G.J away , lets wish he stay . :worship2::worship2:

i'm pretty chilled really, honest. I get enough sharing, listening and pain easing in the day job - this i do for fun :)

i'm pretty chilled really, honest. I get enough sharing, listening and pain easing in the day job - this i do for fun :)

wishing rovers go bust to increase citys home gate is a bit much!! I think there are just not enough people in bristol that intrested,they'd rather go shopping unfortunatery,I don't live in bristol ,and don't go in too much for the rabid banter that go's on between our fan's,Ijust love watching football,and on weekends i'am in bristol and rover's are away,i will quite happily watch city and dare i say it feel good when they win! I know the odd city fan comes to the mem as well! maybe the answers out there somewhere?

Bristol is a big city with 2 football teams, 1 bigger than the other of course, it puzzles me why were equal top and can not fill the ground ? even in fa cup !! i know most will say it's down to the prices , but being so high in the table just makes me think is there enough support for the bcfc ?

We can't fill the ground for the following reasons:

1.The capacity is reduced from 21,600 to 19,600 due to segregation (2,000 Down)

2.That capacity is further reduced because the away fans, irrespective of the number they bring are given 2,000-3,000 Seats.

3.That means if City sell out 16,500 and the away fans bring 3000, the gate will be 16,800.

4.Hence, City have sold out, yet have thousands of empty seats.

5.Won't change any time soon because there is no will with regard to the EE, Unallocated Seating.....oh, & pricing.

gas heads took 8k fans to their last cup game which suprised me again, so is the city of bristol really split between two teams of fans ???

It must have surprised Dunford as well because they can't get more than 6,500 average at home!!

wishing rovers go bust to increase citys home gate is a bit much!! I think there are just not enough people in bristol that intrested,they'd rather go shopping unfortunatery,I don't live in bristol ,and don't go in too much for the rabid banter that go's on between our fan's,Ijust love watching football,and on weekends i'am in bristol and rover's are away,i will quite happily watch city and dare i say it feel good when they win! I know the odd city fan comes to the mem as well! maybe the answers out there somewhere?

I don't think its a bit much to wish rovers to go bust! :englandsmile4wf: Nevertheless, your post pretty much sums up a lot of bristolians.

I on the other hand would never be seen dead watching Rovers, unless of course its from the away end. I don't even watch Bristol Rugby now the gas have robbed them of their ground.

One thing that would help would be to consign the away supporters to the worst part of the EE instead of our own fans ,can you really expect to attract and keep new supporters when all the best seats are gone with only odd seats available on a match to match basis,as a club we need to be offering better facilities to our own fans. I sit in the Dolman and it's hard to get seats if I wanted to bring someone along .As for size of club we would certainly be on a par with Portsmouth and look what they've acheived

Archived