IGNORED

'not Enough Cleverness' - Johnson

Robbored

Interesting to see Johnson comments on the main site about City lacking 'cleverness' to break down a tough Colchester side.

It occurred to me during the second half that City were huffing and puffing without much progress and imo the game was crying out for Noble but he never got on.Even more surprising then that Johnson should bemoan the lack of 'cleverness' after the game when he had the 'cleverest' player at the club sitting on the bench.

Sure it would have been tough taking off either Johnson Jr (who I though had his best game for ages) or Elliot but Trundle and Byfield had become ineffective but on comes Enoch followed by McCombe instead of Noble

I know that us fans often don't understand managers substitutions (Danny Wilson was the most bizarre) but yesterdays Johnsons subs were very unispired as neither of them made a difference.

I too thought Noble might have made a difference but his form of late has hardly been inspiring.

Carle has come in to play in the hole in my opinion because there is no way he'll leave out his boy or Elliott. Alternatively you then have to look at Sproule or McIndoe.

Just one point on Carle - how many games will we lose him for each season with international call ups?

Interesting to see Johnson comments on the main site about City lacking 'cleverness' to break down a tough Colchester side.

It occurred to me during the second half that City were huffing and puffing without much progress and imo the game was crying out for Noble but he never got on.Even more surprising then that Johnson should bemoan the lack of 'cleverness' after the game when he had the 'cleverest' player at the club sitting on the bench.

Sure it would have been tough taking off either Johnson Jr (who I though had his best game for ages) or Elliot but Trundle and Byfield had become ineffective but on comes Enoch followed by McCombe instead of Noble

I know that us fans often don't understand managers substitutions (Danny Wilson was the most bizarre) but yesterdays Johnsons subs were very unispired as neither of them made a difference.

If ever you wanted to know that Noble was out, yesterday was a big indication.

IMO Showumni, Murray and Russell, good men that they are, are out of their league and should not have been in the scene this season. We want to progress, then we have to look ahead. GJ is good, but like the players he is far from perfect. Its a learning process from top to bottom and that includes the fans.

I too thought Noble might have made a difference but his form of late has hardly been inspiring.

Carle has come in to play in the hole in my opinion because there is no way he'll leave out his boy or Elliott. Alternatively you then have to look at Sproule or McIndoe.

Just one point on Carle - how many games will we lose him for each season with international call ups?

for Noble I think he's out the door to be honest, judging by the "nobes" thread on the transfer rumours page, no smoke without fire, the signing of Carle points to the end for Noble for me, he's been ok in patches but not done enough really to be considered a long term part of our plans. plus if he is still boozing it up off the field, it won't go down well with GJ.

Carle will probably play in the hole, since neither Elliott or LJ deserve to be left out based on their recent form in the last month or so.

Don't think we will loe Carle for many games at all each season, majority of the Australia games are played during the normal international breaks, being that we are in the championship now and there is plenty of international breaks it will probably only be 1/2 games a season that he will actually miss.

Noble, on form, is our most creative midfielder, without doubt and when he's on his game he makes the players around him better.

He'd be in my team, in the hole, every week and if he can't last ninety minutes, OK replace him with Carle, Skuse or anyone else when we're 2-0 up.

We haven't got the quality up front, so playing more strikers, when they're not good enough isn't the answer.

If we sign some quality tomorrow, super, that changes things and I'm always more interested in those that are here rather than those who leave.

Russell,JMW & Brooker will be joined by Keogh & Betsy in either permanent or loan moves and Jevo's already gone but Murray will stay until the end of the season as an decent impact player.

Noble, on form, is our most creative midfielder, without doubt and when he's on his game he makes the players around him better.

He'd be in my team, in the hole, every week and if he can't last ninety minutes, OK replace him with Carle, Skuse or anyone else when we're 2-0 up.

We haven't got the quality up front, so playing more strikers, when they're not good enough isn't the answer.

If we sign some quality tomorrow, super, that changes things and I'm always more interested in those that are here rather than those who leave.

Russell,JMW & Brooker will be joined by Keogh & Betsy in either permanent or loan moves and Jevo's already gone but Murray will stay until the end of the season as an decent impact player.

all about views, personally I think he's the most over-rated player at the club, he's overly inconsistent and can't get himself fit enough (and one the last one you have to ask........WHY?_

personally I think Carle has been signed as a DIRECT replacement for Noble, whose antics johnson has probably got fed up with with, surely Noble should have taken a lesson from his housemate?

What we re missing is simply a cutting edge, someone in the Bob Taylor, Andy Cole mould.

If we had a Phillips up the sharp end, I reckon we'd be above the Baggies, which is cloud cuckoo land going into the season.

In my huble opinion, we have the "cleverness" but lack the killer instinct, or cutting edge to put the ball in the back of the net, our goals for echos that.

I think Enoch and D.B. should have a chance together, little man big man combo, as Enoch seems like a man possessed coming on at the moment, and I think deserves a chance with Darren, and a 4-4-2 system.

It's got to be worth a look surely ?

Fialing that, either G.J. unearths another gem in the Marvin mode, or has to shell out S.L.'s mega bucks for a proven goal machine this level, or above.

I think it's hillarious that walking back to the car after the game, people are moaning about the result , when we were top of the league !

Yesterday was a great result, another point, as where in seasons gone by, we'd of lost yesterday, a la Cheltenham, Bradford last year.

I thought the crowd was superb yesterday, after all the prem lovers had dissapeared, and the crowd really did try to spur the lads on.

Well done the boys, you are responsible for a lot of hangovers at the moment, see you at Palace !

all about views, personally I think he's the most over-rated player at the club, he's overly inconsistent and can't get himself fit enough (and one the last one you have to ask........WHY?_

personally I think Carle has been signed as a DIRECT replacement for Noble, whose antics johnson has probably got fed up with with, surely Noble should have taken a lesson from his housemate?

I've heard the rumours but can't say it's fact and therefore I wouldn't post it.

If that's the case then Noble could be on his way out.The thing that surprises me is that it clearly didn't bother GJ last season because Keogh was offered a new contract afte being named Young Player Of The Season and Noble was a major player in the cup run and in our League finish.

What we re missing is simply a cutting edge, someone in the Bob Taylor, Andy Cole mould.

If we had a Phillips up the sharp end, I reckon we'd be above the Baggies, which is cloud cuckoo land going into the season.

Correct

In my huble opinion, we have the "cleverness" but lack the killer instinct, or cutting edge to put the ball in the back of the net, our goals for echos that.

Yesterday we had neither and that got worse as the game progressed.

I think Enoch and D.B. should have a chance together, little man big man combo, as Enoch seems like a man possessed coming on at the moment, and I think deserves a chance with Darren, and a 4-4-2 system.

Certainly worth a try

Fialing that, either G.J. unearths another gem in the Marvin mode, or has to shell out S.L.'s mega bucks for a proven goal machine this level, or above.

Elliott's signing proved that they are out there.

I think it's hillarious that walking back to the car after the game, people are moaning about the result , when we were top of the league !

All about expectation levels and it shows how far we've come.

Yesterday was a great result, another point, as where in seasons gone by, we'd of lost yesterday, a la Cheltenham, Bradford last year.

It wasn't a disaster but it was far from a great result.

I've heard the rumours but can't say it's fact and therefore I wouldn't post it.

If that's the case then Noble could be on his way out.The thing that surprises me is that it clearly didn't bother GJ last season because Keogh was offered a new contract afte being named Young Player Of The Season and Noble was a major player in the cup run and in our League finish.

I wouldn't post it either, but as always I consider the source !

well it's one of 2 things either

perhaps it wasn't a problem last season because it didn't happen

or because he was doing the business on the pitch, if your going out on the beer and performing each week then it's not a problem, however if you have spent most of the season struggling for fitness and form and then going out then it is a problem,

the fact that someone in another posting has said that they actually saw Noble last night and he was a mess, plus of course this so called mention of Noble going on the radio yesterday, plus of course the signing of Nicky Carle,

of course it could well be a case of 1+1+1 = 4, however..........even the ever optimist has to admit something seems to be going on and the future of Noble at City doesn't look bright

well it's one of 2 things either

perhaps it wasn't a problem last season because it didn't happen

or because he was doing the business on the pitch, if your going out on the beer and performing each week then it's not a problem, however if you have spent most of the season struggling for fitness and form and then going out then it is a problem,

the fact that someone in another posting has said that they actually saw Noble last night and he was a mess, plus of course this so called mention of Noble going on the radio yesterday, plus of course the signing of Nicky Carle,

of course it could well be a case of 1+1+1 = 4, however..........even the ever optimist has to admit something seems to be going on and the future of Noble at City doesn't look bright

You say 1 poster says they saw Noble as a mess.

You say there was a " so called mention " of Noble on the radio ???

You hint the signing of Carle will affect Noble. GJ says he's in to cover the entire midfield, that includes McIndoe, LJ etc.

I say you have a vendetta against Noble, a City player who deserves our support.

Based on what?

Has Russell even played this season? Has Murray been given a sufficient chance to impress in this league? Yes Sproule has been good, but doesn't mean Murray isn't up to scratch.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Not a question of being guilty. GJ sees these players playing with and against each other day after day, week after week.

If their form warranted selection GJ would have them in the side. Russell 34 and Murray 33 are unlikely to get faster or better. Its a fact of life, we all get older.

You hint the signing of Carle will affect Noble. GJ says he's in to cover the entire midfield, that includes McIndoe, LJ etc.

I say you have a vendetta against Noble, a City player who deserves our support.

Well said and, for me, David Noble is a player who gets the best out of others and LJ always seems to go up a gear when Nobes is on his game.So does Showunmi & Elliott.I don't see how a player that shone against Sheff Utd & Norwich could drop so far, so quick, however, next weeks team selection will probably be very interesting as GJ and Carle have both intimated that Carle will be in the squad for Palace.

That's barring a major signing and with the recent exits, a striker or two must surely appear soon?

confused.......in the "nobes" thread on the transfer forum, this is mentioned about the radio comment and another posting stating he was out last night and saw "Noble hammered" other peoples words not mine, many others (myself included) are also saying that Nicky Carle is likely to play in the hole to replace Noble when he gets into the team?

all I have done is round up what others are also saying and put it into one posting? if it is a general feeling of many on the forum? how is this a personal vendetta?

for the record, I think Noble is a decent player when fit, but the biggest problem is his constant lack of fitness, he missed pre-season but has been fit for more than long enough to expect him to be fully fit (something others have also mentioned), the fact that Johnson has gone out and signed a player in Carle who yes can play across midfield, but the main position he plays is in the centre midfield or playing behind a forward.

I'm all for supporting a player, but if a player who is still trying to get fully fit from an injury he suffered in July, despite playing almost constantly since sept and still isn't fit enough for 90mins, you have to wonder why? there is numrous rumours about why he isn't fit? I'm not the one starting anything that has been posted, just my views on it.

My opinion for what it's worth is, That Noble is not an impact player, If things are not going well the die is already cast, Start him yes or bring him on if things are going well, But I don't think he'll have the same impact if we are struggling.

What was strange yesterday was that Mc'combe, skuse and Enoch were warming up along the touchline for practicly the whole game. I didnt see Noble get off the bench except for 2 mins of stretching near the end.

Just seemed strange to me, surely if you want to "get on" you make the manager aware of it by warming up etc! :(

Well said and, for me, David Noble is a player who gets the best out of others and LJ always seems to go up a gear when Nobes is on his game.So does Showunmi & Elliott.I don't see how a player that shone against Sheff Utd & Norwich could drop so far, so quick, however, next weeks team selection will probably be very interesting as GJ and Carle have both intimated that Carle will be in the squad for Palace.

That's barring a major signing and with the recent exits, a striker or two must surely appear soon?

every player can have great games such as sheffield and norwich, but when each of those is followed up by performances against Plymouth, Ipswich and others then you have to wonder, people moan about LJ's lack of consistancey however to me, personally I feel Noble is FAR more inconsistent a player and despite the amount of games that he has played this season in such as advance position, he offers barely any goal threat which his goal scoring record backs up, for me a player who plays that sort of positon he should be looking to hit 10 goals a season AT LEAST, that and his fitness is my issues with him.

that said despite his recent form, I don't believe Johnson is the long term option in midfield either, despite being his son, I think long term GJ is looking at a midfielder partnership of Sproule, Carle, Elliott, McIndoe, playing back at a 4-4-2, despite 4-4-1-1 working in patches, it's just not an attacking enough formation, but that is mainly due to lack of the right ability players to continue in our current league position, with the midfield 4 mentioned and another forward/fit brooker coming in, I'd feel alot more confident of securing a top 6 finish (let alone top 2)

What was strange yesterday was that Mc'combe, skuse and Enoch were warming up along the touchline for practicly the whole game. I didnt see Noble get off the bench except for 2 mins of stretching near the end.

Just seemed strange to me, surely if you want to "get on" you make the manager aware of it by warming up etc! :(

missed that to be honest, however sitting in the atyeo it's hard at times who is warming up in the furtherest away area, that said I did notice that pretty much consinstly throughout the game Enoch was doing some sort of warm ups.

Archived