IGNORED

Can We Please Sing The Right Words?

Bob Taylor is GOD

Many years ago, some inventive people made up some songs that would be sung by fans of many different teams.

Over time these words have been mis-heared, sung and passed on to the current fans.

Some teams still sing the correct words,we don't and I find it embarassing.

e.g. e i e i e i o up the football LEAGUE we go... (not - here we go)

Bristol City FC They're the FINEST FOOTBALL TEAM the world has ever seen ( not - they're by far the greatest team...)

So come on chaps - do these song writers justice!

Many years ago, some inventive people made up some songs that would be sung by fans of many different teams.

Over time these words have been mis-heared, sung and passed on to the current fans.

Bristol City FC They're the FINEST FOOTBALL TEAM the world has ever seen ( not - they're by far the greatest team...)

i thoght it was f..k the football ere we go ;)

I think we've always sung the first one right?

I've been in large-ish away crowds (Forest, Carlisle towards end of last season) and small ones (S****horpe last season) and the first song has always sounded right to me and is what I've sung.

I hold my hand up to the second one, I always thought it was greatest team anyway?

I have never heard someone sing "up the football here we go" Would make me laugh if i did though!!

Everyone around me sings 'Up the football, here we go!' - it doesn't even mean anything!!!

I always sing that right, but there's a lot round me that only sing when we're doing really well and the rest of the ground is singing too. Bleedin' part-timers... Tch.

The second one you mention sound really old-fashioned now, though. 'Finest football team' sounds really Mr Chumndley-Warner. Having said that, who seriously thinks we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen...?!

I mean, Brazil and Germany aren't bad...

Always thought it was "by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen".

Isn't anyone even faintly embarassed at the claim that City are 'by far the greatest team the world has ever seen'. Shouldn't it be "By far probably one of the better teams that the Championship has seen come up from League one in recent years"? Does that fit the tune?

Its not like anyone can really tell if there is an odd word out, thousands get it right. Whats the words to that rovers ran away one? I thought it said the rovers family - are gay!!??

Its not like anyone can really tell if there is an odd word out, thousands get it right. Whats the words to that rovers ran away one? I thought it said the rovers family - are gay!!??

"Ark now yer ( hear) the City sing

The Roverrs raaan away

And we will fight for evermore :disapointed2se:

Because of Saturday."

Rubbish last line and not as tuneful as Harry Belafonte. ;)

The original is great, for anyone who doesn't know here are the real words:

Hark now hear the Angels sing

Listen to what they say

That Man will live for evermore

Because of Christmas Day.

Marvellous. It caught on as a football song after Boney M re-released it in the late '70's.

Same here, no one near me ever sings it right, don't people think to themselves 'up the football here we go' sounds odd when they sing it?
My thoughts exactly. It annoys me. Also the Hello, Hello we are the City boys gets sung as a o a o we are the city boys.

Isn't anyone even faintly embarassed at the claim that City are 'by far the greatest team the world has ever seen'. Shouldn't it be "By far probably one of the better teams that the Championship has seen come up from League one in recent years"? Does that fit the tune?

The small group of fans who followed Bolton at Newcastle on Saturday were singing that song near the end of the game. I assume they had their tongues firmly in their cheeks, bearing in mind how sh*i*t*e the game was.

Guest MaloneFM

A chap near me on the gantry (Durden) insist on singing:

'when we get promotion, this is what we song, we all love you, we all love you, Johnson is our king'

Give me a reason for not shoving him off

A chap near me on the gantry (Durden) insist on singing:

'when we get promotion, this is what we song, we all love you, we all love you, Johnson is our king'

Give me a reason for not shoving him off

Anyone who sings, "this is what we song" deserves to live, surely? :dunno:

Sympathy, not fury.

as for the other song, its always been

and its bristol city, bristol city fc

we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen

never thought any different, and certainly never heard anyone else try n sing theyre the finest football team. don't think so anyway...

it is greatest not finest

although the sheep lovers in cardiff sing, "we're the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen"

but then again english isn't their first language

Archived