IGNORED

Can We Please Sing The Right Words?

Bob Taylor is GOD

I get annoyed at people who don't know the words to drink up thee cider...they mumble something about "we're going down the Rovers to do the Gasheads over"...instead of "We'll knock the milk churns over and roll em in the clover"...why would we want to be going to watch lower league football?

A common one is "IO, IO We are the City boys"

Isn't it supposed to be "Hello, Hello We are the City boys"? What is "IO" supposed to mean?

No, the former is correct and has been sung that way since the 70's. Those of you singing "Hello", you are wrong, please step in line!

Referring back to the opening post, we have indeed had an epidemic this season of idiots singing "Up the football here we go", however I'm pleased to report that in Atyeo G block yesterday EVERYONE sang "Up the football league we go". Maybe as a result of this thread?!

No, the former is correct and has been sung that way since the 70's. Those of you singing "Hello", you are wrong, please step in line!

Referring back to the opening post, we have indeed had an epidemic this season of idiots singing "Up the football here we go", however I'm pleased to report that in Atyeo G block yesterday EVERYONE sang "Up the football league we go". Maybe as a result of this thread?!

Il stick to singing Hello, Hello We are the City boys. It's like we are introducing ourselves to the opposition Where as IO IO We are the City boys just does not make any sense at all to me.

Guest MaloneFM

I suggest you stand on a seat and count everyone in...'a one and a two and a STANNND UP, IF YOU HATE THE GAS.....NO NO NO! I'm sorry Williams you are flat and late, look can you step up the tempo, more threatening, make me stand up....ok? And again...a one and a two and a....'

Or get one of those white podiums like they used to have at the cup final. Which was usually occupied by Tommy Steele.

I suggest you stand on a seat and count everyone in...'a one and a two and a STANNND UP, IF YOU HATE THE GAS.....NO NO NO! I'm sorry Williams you are flat and late, look can you step up the tempo, more threatening, make me stand up....ok? And again...a one and a two and a....'

Or get one of those white podiums like they used to have at the cup final. Which was usually occupied by Tommy Steele.

:D

this is an outstanding topic for discussion and one that is very close to my heart. how it irks me when i hear the lyrics of my favourite songs and anthems being raped by careless crooners. i remember well the time i overheard one feeble person singing charles and eddies no.1 pop ballad 'would i lie to your baby?' imagine my shock when i heard the person blurt out the lines:

"look into my eyes,

can't you see the broken lines?

would i lie to your baby?

would i lie to you?

oh yes."

"oh no!" i retorted with some vigour, to what had been otherwise a very pleasant rendition of the tune in question, sullied by the mere abc of singing mishaps.

"look into my eyes,

can't you see their open wide!" i continued, letting the person know where they had stumbled. i am glad to say the blush of shame mantled their cheek, and there was no first prize for this person in the pubs karaoke challenge thanks to my intervention.

but what really rattles my cage in this day and age are those pouting thesps who try to impress all and sundry with their dramatic posterings. why, just the other day in my local boozer i happened upon a pitiful sight. a young man entertaining his friends by regailing them with poetry. the way he sat forward in his chair, a smug grin on his face whilst swirling a glass of port, just seemed to make the scene all the more revolting and his ultimate error all the more crass and unforgiving. i mean, how can anyone be forgiven for failing to get the words of thomas blackah's 'my ald hat' 100% correct? it can't be done. i can hear the odious little snirge now:

"that glossy shade o' thine, awd hat,

that glossy shade o' thine,

at graced thy youthful days is gean,

which maks me noo repine.

fra monny a gleam an' monny a shoor

thou's sheltered my awd heead;

bud sean a smarter, tider hat

will shelter 't i' thy steead."

of course, anger and rage surged through my veins as soon as i spotted the error, but to see this person then applauded and celebrated by the crowd surrounding him was the straw that broke this camel's back. i could hold my tongue no longer. "thoo's!" i screamed, hammering my fist on his table. "thoo's sheltered my awd heead!" i hissed again through gritted teeth, my face contorted in red hot rage. and with that, i turned my back and left, content in the knowledge that the persons friends would no longer be accepting the calls of this show off.

this is an outstanding topic for discussion and one that is very close to my heart. how it irks me when i hear the lyrics of my favourite songs and anthems being raped by careless crooners. i remember well the time i overheard one feeble person singing charles and eddies no.1 pop ballad 'would i lie to your baby?' imagine my shock when i heard the person blurt out the lines:

"look into my eyes,

can't you see the broken lines?

would i lie to your baby?

would i lie to you?

oh yes."

"oh no!" i retorted with some vigour, to what had been otherwise a very pleasant rendition of the tune in question, sullied by the mere abc of singing mishaps.

"look into my eyes,

can't you see their open wide!" i continued, letting the person know where they had stumbled. i am glad to say the blush of shame mantled their cheek, and there was no first prize for this person in the pubs karaoke challenge thanks to my intervention.

but what really rattles my cage in this day and age are those pouting thesps who try to impress all and sundry with their dramatic posterings. why, just the other day in my local boozer i happened upon a pitiful sight. a young man entertaining his friends by regailing them with poetry. the way he sat forward in his chair, a smug grin on his face whilst swirling a glass of port, just seemed to make the scene all the more revolting and his ultimate error all the more crass and unforgiving. i mean, how can anyone be forgiven for failing to get the words of thomas blackah's 'my ald hat' 100% correct? it can't be done. i can hear the odious little snirge now:

"that glossy shade o' thine, awd hat,

that glossy shade o' thine,

at graced thy youthful days is gean,

which maks me noo repine.

fra monny a gleam an' monny a shoor

thou's sheltered my awd heead;

bud sean a smarter, tider hat

will shelter 't i' thy steead."

of course, anger and rage surged through my veins as soon as i spotted the error, but to see this person then applauded and celebrated by the crowd surrounding him was the straw that broke this camel's back. i could hold my tongue no longer. "thoo's!" i screamed, hammering my fist on his table. "thoo's sheltered my awd heead!" i hissed again through gritted teeth, my face contorted in red hot rage. and with that, i turned my back and left, content in the knowledge that the persons friends would no longer be accepting the calls of this show off.

hmm, if you say so Trav.. :)

how about a nice carol to cheer you up?.... altogether now

While shepherds wash their socks by night

All seated on the ground:

The angel of the Lord came down

and gave 'em twelve & a half pence.

oh no, not the same since decimalisation is it?.... Bring Back The ThreePenny Bit!!

I get annoyed at people who don't know the words to drink up thee cider...they mumble something about "we're going down the Rovers to do the Gasheads over"...instead of "We'll knock the milk churns over and roll em in the clover"...why would we want to be going to watch lower league football?

I always thought it was:-

"We`re going down the Rovers,

To turn the Tote End over"

Archived