IGNORED

And As If By Magic , The Shopkeeper Appeared .

double-trouble

Whats wrong with me , am I an old fuddy duddy suddenly .

When I was a kid , the summer holidays were watching the Hair Bear Bunch , black and white Zorro , Robinson Crusoe , The Flashing Blade ( where lips made different movements to the words heard ) , Puff and Stuff and the Double Deckers . Evenings were Magpie and Tomorrows People .

My personal fav and I don't mind admitting it to you cyberspace unknowns was Mr Benn .

Out to work every day with his black suit and bowler hat . Off down Festive Road where the children were playing with plastic swords or a cutless under a skull and crossbones flag on mums washing line and the shopkeeper took him into the shop to try on a outfit . He would go into the changing room and suddenly he was sailing the seven seas as Black Beard .

He would have these wonderful experiences and just as he was to find the treasure that bloody shopkeeper appeared , you know the one that looks like Reg Holdsworth .

He would always leave the shop with a memento like a treasure map or something similar to remind him . His house must be like a tip with all that tat he collected . The kids would still be playing with their swords and shields as he walked back down Festive Road .

Does anyone know why he put that suit on and if it was for work , why he did'nt get the sack for all those days off ??

Anyway with the crap , crap and more crap kids watch today , what was your fav programme and the memories you hold ??

Guest MaloneFM

Well we used to sit the Malone youngsters in front of the afoermentioned H R Puffinstuff, what a chemical induced nightmare THAT was. No mention of the Banana Splits?

Ahhh, as well as women this is another of my favourite subjects.

Dangermouse is up there for me with the pretty crappy graphics but the evil Baron Greenback used to scare me and the poor misguided Penfold. Now I look back without the innocence of youth and laugh at the jokes that I missed as a youngster.

He's the greatest

He's fantastic

Wherever there's danger he'll be there

He's the ace

He's amazing

He's the strongest he's the quickest he's the best

Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

DANGER MOUSE

He's the greatest

He's fantastic

Wherever there's danger he'll be there

He's the ace

He's amazing

He's the strongest he's the quickest he's the best

Danger Mouse

He's terrific

He's magnific

He's the greatest secret agent in the world

Danger Mouse

Power House

He's the fastest he's the greatest he's the best

Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

DANGER MOUSE

Mr Benn

Banana Splits

classics both

To which I would add:

Bagpuss

And those perennial black and white barnstormers:

Robinson Crusoe (the series) and

White Horses (officially the worst-dubbed programme ever)

"On white horses let me ride away

To a dum dum dum dumd um dum - ay

That when I

Softly sigh

Dum dum dum dum etc.

The big question is Swapshop or Tiswas?

Discussed these at work today after telling colleagues of my post about the shopkeeper in Mr Benn .

Mixed bag really both being watched by everyone I work directly with .

My fav . SWAPSHOP

Keith Chegwin still clowning around and Noel on another crest of a wave .

Would ring in now and again on saturdays in those days before Premium Rate Nos . and costs ruled the T.V.

Tried to swop everything .

Great days .

Saturday evenings made up of programmes inc . Basil Brush ,Morecombe and Wise , d### Emery , Mike Yarwood , Starsky and Hutch , Kojak , Petrocelli , then Match of the Day .

Discussed these at work today after telling colleagues of my post about the shopkeeper in Mr Benn .

Mixed bag really both being watched by everyone I work directly with .

My fav . SWAPSHOP

Keith Chegwin still clowning around and Noel on another crest of a wave .

Would ring in now and again on saturdays in those days before Premium Rate Nos . and costs ruled the T.V.

Tried to swop everything .

Great days .

Saturday evenings made up of programmes inc . Basil Brush ,Morecombe and Wise , d### Emery , Mike Yarwood , Starsky and Hutch , Kojak , Petrocelli , then Match of the Day .

Its only recently I actually found out that Match of the day actually showed football, I thought it was a signature tune, followed directly by the closing tune, thats all I could remember!!!!!!!!!!

Tales of the Riverbank (B & W only) always my favourite but a few years before Mr Benn DT.

And I was brought up with Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy and fading memories of Flopsie, Mopsie and Cottontail must be early to mid Sixties.

Noggin the Nog and Captain Pugwash two great animated tales narrated by Messrs Postgate and Hawkins respectively, looked extremeley dated even in the Seventies but has a bit of a cult following as do quite a few of the series mentioned on this thread..

Fireball XL5 came along before the likes of UFO but very teenage awakenings initiated by Gabrielle Drakes huge rack and Short skirt probably weened me off all the kiddies stuff. All the early Gerry Anderson stuff I lapped up as kids do, Twizzel, Torchy the Battery Boy which was Saturday morning fare and later in the Sixties came Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet too.

Halcyon Days!

Tales of the Riverbank (B & W only) always my favourite but a few years before Mr Benn DT.

And I was brought up with Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy and fading memories of Flopsie, Mopsie and Cottontail must be early to mid Sixties.

Noggin the Nog and Captain Pugwash two great animated tales narrated by Messrs Postgate and Hawkins respectively, looked extremeley dated even in the Seventies but has a bit of a cult following as do quite a few of the series mentioned on this thread..

Fireball XL5 came along before the likes of UFO but very teenage awakenings initiated by Gabrielle Drakes huge rack and Short skirt probably weened me off all the kiddies stuff. All the early Gerry Anderson stuff I lapped up as kids do, Twizzel, Torchy the Battery Boy which was Saturday morning fare and later in the Sixties came Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet too.

Halcyon Days!

Just remembered while reading through your post of some of the earlier kids programmes I remember ( well a couple of them ) Play School ( through the round window ) , Trumpton and Camberwick Green , does anyone know how Windy Miller is ?

Space 1999 , The Champions , Hectors House and the programme of the crew in the submarine ( american ) who dealt with the various issues affecting the underwater world e.g an underwater eruption that threatens some islands we've never heard of and only they can solve the day . Racking the brains for the programme name but........

Later was a big fan of Starsky and Hutch on friday or saturday nights .

Camberwick Green - Windy Miller & Co.

Trumpton - Hugh, Pew , Barney McGrew etc

Blue Peter - loved it when things went wrong

John Craven's newsround - only time I ever watched the news

The Clangers - loved that

Also loved Puffinstuff with witchypoo, and the white horses badly dubbed stuff was great. On everyday in the Summer holidays before the Elvis film.

They don't make em like they used to!!!

Just remembered while reading through your post of some of the earlier kids programmes I remember ( well a couple of them ) Play School ( through the round window ) , Trumpton and Camberwick Green , does anyone know how Windy Miller is ?

Space 1999 , The Champions , Hectors House and the programme of the crew in the submarine ( american ) who dealt with the various issues affecting the underwater world e.g an underwater eruption that threatens some islands we've never heard of and only they can solve the day . Racking the brains for the programme name but........

Later was a big fan of Starsky and Hutch on friday or saturday nights .

Gerry Anderson/Puppets? Stingray by any chance DT? My (slightly) younger brother(s) fave.

And as for Windy Miller DT/Red M; I think he was last seen in an advert for butter or something last year - the one where his Naturist loving Swedish cousin ends up with piping hot toast on his tool! I love the humour of that ad (Pythonesque/Bottom humour). Us boys just never grow up! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just remembered (must be having a good day and the pills have kicked in!) that there was also an underwater series called Marine Boy, a few years late for me though.

Gerry Anderson/Puppets? Stingray by any chance DT? My (slightly) younger brother(s) fave.

And as for Windy Miller DT/Red M; I think he was last seen in an advert for butter or something last year - the one where his Naturist loving Swedish cousin ends up with piping hot toast on his tool! I love the humour of that ad (Pythonesque/Bottom humour). Us boys just never grow up! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just remembered (must be having a good day and the pills have kicked in!) that there was also an underwater series called Marine Boy, a few years late for me though.

No nice try , not Stingray .

Sure this submarine was called Nautilus ( surprise,surprise ) and the captain and commander had / have been on various other american programmes including Time Tunnel me thinks . :clapping:

Just remembered another american programme similar to the one I can't think of and the Time Tunnel .

What about - The land of the Giants . Another CLASSIC of this era c . 1972 - 76 ?

No nice try , not Stingray .

Sure this submarine was called Nautilus ( surprise,surprise ) and the captain and commander had / have been on various other american programmes including Time Tunnel me thinks . :clapping:

Just remembered another american programme similar to the one I can't think of and the Time Tunnel .

What about - The land of the Giants . Another CLASSIC of this era c . 1972 - 76 ?

Humming the tune away and it came to me - Voyage to the bottom of the sea

Thank God for that it was getting on my nerves . :clap:

Another one just remembered is The Man From Atlantis me thinks it was Patrick Duffy from Dallas .

Halcyon Days!

Bought videos of Watch with Mother (including Andy Pandy, The Woodentops, Picture Book, Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Bill & Ben the Flowerpot Men) for the kids when they were little. Timeless classics and still great fun.

Tales of the Riverbank too, what an evocative signature tune.

As for Noggin the Nog, pure genius from Postgate & Hawkins.

Lost in Space was a favourite too with the robot and the 'sinister' professor.

Another fantastic theme tune.

If I remember rightly the girl in the Robinson family also played one of the children in Sound of Music.

Opening credits to original series 1 ... (reminder of themetune) Lost In Space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LRE_LJdEFo

& 2nd series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ3sQQMDL6I (in colour)

3rd series opening credits - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_VOM3yBuMI

a few character clips.. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_h3PBmvKzw

(ahh, they don't make 'em like that anymore :angry: )

Humming the tune away and it came to me - Voyage to the bottom of the sea

Thank God for that it was getting on my nerves . :clap:

Another one just remembered is The Man From Atlantis me thinks it was Patrick Duffy from Dallas .

DT: Ah yes of course, VTTBOTS - had completely forgotten about that one, possibly one for my brothers era maybe as one of them is 4 years younger than me. I remember everyone at school talking about LOTG after an episode each morning, but I can't remember ever watching it myself - was it on an obscure channel as I recall we used to be able to receive some fuzzy programes from the Midlands at some stage (ATV?).

And defo Duffy in TMFA.

It was really irksome when the American network pulled the plug on Time Tunnel cos' I can't recall them ever getting back to the same period in history that they left behind - or did I miss the last episode and have been cursing for 30 years?

Nogbad: I still have great memories of Noggin, and Draculus? was the cormorant-like bird wasn't it? I think there are progs of many of our childhood favourites on the tubeyou :innocent06: can't get away with mentioning on OTIB - or is it just the links to possible copyrighted material?

DT: Ah yes of course, VTTBOTS - had completely forgotten about that one, possibly one for my brothers era maybe as one of them is 4 years younger than me. I remember everyone at school talking about LOTG after an episode each morning, but I can't remember ever watching it myself - was it on an obscure channel as I recall we used to be able to receive some fuzzy programes from the Midlands at some stage (ATV?).

And defo Duffy in TMFA.

It was really irksome when the American network pulled the plug on Time Tunnel cos' I can't recall them ever getting back to the same period in history that they left behind - or did I miss the last episode and have been cursing for 30 years?

Nogbad: I still have great memories of Noggin, and Draculus? was the cormorant-like bird wasn't it? I think there are progs of many of our childhood favourites on the tubeyou :innocent06: can't get away with mentioning on OTIB - or is it just the links to possible copyrighted material?

Ref . the Time Tunnel , me thinks that it ended in 2008 and the pair of travellers ended up at Wembley in blue and white quartered shirts playing in the F.A Cup final after encountering many adventures on the way .

Told you it was to far fetched - time travel is believable , Rovers at Wembley in the F.A cup final that will have me carted off to the funny farm . :disapointed2se:

Ref . the Time Tunnel , me thinks that it ended in 2008 and the pair of travellers ended up at Wembley in blue and white quartered shirts playing in the F.A Cup final after encountering many adventures on the way .

Told you it was to far fetched - time travel is believable , Rovers at Wembley in the F.A cup final that will have me carted off to the funny farm . :disapointed2se:

What about 2 more summer holiday morning programmes on when we were kids , Hercules Advenutures of Tin Tin and Casey Jones ( steaming and a rolling ).

Casey Jones whatever happened to him . All those adventures with that train , be no good working for First group as they are the modern day bandits .

Whats wrong with me , am I an old fuddy duddy suddenly .

When I was a kid , the summer holidays were watching the Hair Bear Bunch , black and white Zorro , Robinson Crusoe , The Flashing Blade ( where lips made different movements to the words heard ) , Puff and Stuff and the Double Deckers . Evenings were Magpie and Tomorrows People .

My personal fav and I don't mind admitting it to you cyberspace unknowns was Mr Benn .

Out to work every day with his black suit and bowler hat . Off down Festive Road where the children were playing with plastic swords or a cutless under a skull and crossbones flag on mums washing line and the shopkeeper took him into the shop to try on a outfit . He would go into the changing room and suddenly he was sailing the seven seas as Black Beard .

He would have these wonderful experiences and just as he was to find the treasure that bloody shopkeeper appeared , you know the one that looks like Reg Holdsworth .

He would always leave the shop with a memento like a treasure map or something similar to remind him . His house must be like a tip with all that tat he collected . The kids would still be playing with their swords and shields as he walked back down Festive Road .

Does anyone know why he put that suit on and if it was for work , why he did'nt get the sack for all those days off ??

Anyway with the crap , crap and more crap kids watch today , what was your fav programme and the memories you hold ??

And they keep on coming quicker than a Trundle goal .

Black Beauty

Terrahawks

Catweazle

Jackanory

Bod

Daktari

Rentaghost

Book Tower think it was Doctor Who Tom Baker

Runaround with Mike Reid Runaround n n n n n n n n now

Got them all thinking at work , remembering all our great days watching kids progs .

Can anyone remember a programme in the school holidays called "Why Don't You"? I think it was a local programme. Not to my knowledge a girl i was seeing many years ago appeared on that programme when she was about 11. The thing is a few of my mates remembered her being on that programme and one night in the pub were taking the p!ss out of her big time. She was on the box showing her collection of badges and her favourite one was Mr Tickle. Didn't she ever take some stick for that.

Can anyone remember a programme in the school holidays called "Why Don't You"? I think it was a local programme. Not to my knowledge a girl i was seeing many years ago appeared on that programme when she was about 11. The thing is a few of my mates remembered her being on that programme and one night in the pub were taking the p!ss out of her big time. She was on the box showing her collection of badges and her favourite one was Mr Tickle. Didn't she ever take some stick for that.

Why don't you (switch off the tv and do something interesting instead?)!

Ahh the irony of the eightes!

I don't know why but I started to think about Dogtanian!

I do remember the title but not much of the prog .

Today also remembered :-

Flipper

Screen Test

Elephant Boy ( think it used to come on before Crossroads on a monday qabout 4-45 ish )

Fingerbobs

Mary , Mungo and Midge

Starting to take over my life these flashbacks , help me before its to late .

Nogbad: I still have great memories of Noggin, and Draculus? was the cormorant-like bird wasn't it?

It was Graculus, Ixion.

Not forgetting Noggin's beautiful wife Nooka, son Knut, Olaf the Lofty, Thornogsson, plus Noggin's incorrigable Uncle Nogbad the Bad and his evil band of crows. ;)

It was Graculus, Ixion.

Not forgetting Noggin's beautiful wife Nooka, son Knut, Olaf the Lofty, Thornogsson, plus Noggin's incorrigable Uncle Nogbad the Bad and his evil band of crows. ;)

What about - Captain Caveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee man

Follyfoot and How ( which when one of the presenters said the word and put one palm up , there was a background HOW as if said by an Indian from the wild wast ).

Archived