IGNORED

Today's Team

GrahamC

Now all the transfer talk has died down, thoughts can turn to what GJ will do today in his team selection.

To me he has 4 choices to make;

Firstly in goal, Basso has been superb for us, but in recent games his errors have cost us goals, so will Weale finally get his chance?

Secondly, centre back, McCombe is finding the step up a real struggle but the alternative Vasko exactly didn't cover himself in glory against Colchester, either.

Thirdly, no Sproule, so does this mean Wilson or Murray will play?

Finally I can't see him starting up front with someone who he was willing to sell on Thursday, so will it be Byfield, Trundle or both, with Carle on the bench?

My guess is that he'll keep Basso and McCombe in, pick Wilson and go 4-4-2 so the Aussie will start on the line.

Thoughts?

Sorry lads but I have always failed to see how 4-4-1-1 is showing any ambition or attacking intentions, particularly at home and against a side which are struggling at best.

Blackpool are a good side, don't get me wrong but 4-4-1-1 is about protecting the midfield and defence and can work away against very good sides.

But at home?? It always leaves the man up front on his own isolated the way we play it and it rarely works at home?

Plus if you're going play 1 up front, you usually need a man who has decent close control and able to hold it up waiting for the runners off him from midfield.

Enoch Showumni and close in control do not go hand in hand, in fact I'd go so far as to say he's got amongst the worse close ball control in the squad.

I'd play

Basso

Orr Fontaine Vasko McAllister

Wilson Marv Noble McIndoe

Trundle Byfield

However that's my ideal team with Carey out but I think he will play his son in the middle and probably keep McCombe (god knows why because he's been awful).

Murray should be on the bench to exchange with Wilson in the 2nd half. He excels as an impact player.

Showumni isn't good enough - can't fault his work ethic but he shouldn't still be here.

Sorry lads but I have always failed to see how 4-4-1-1 is showing any ambition or attacking intentions, particularly at home and against a side which are struggling at best.

Blackpool are a good side, don't get me wrong but 4-4-1-1 is about protecting the midfield and defence and can work away against very good sides.

But at home?? It always leaves the man up front on his own isolated the way we play it and it rarely works at home?

Plus if you're going play 1 up front, you usually need a man who has decent close control and able to hold it up waiting for the runners off him from midfield.

Enoch Showumni and close in control do not go hand in hand, in fact I'd go so far as to say he's got amongst the worse close ball control in the squad.

I'd play

Basso

Orr Fontaine Vasko McAllister

Wilson Marv Noble McIndoe

Trundle Byfield

However that's my ideal team with Carey out but I think he will play his son in the middle and probably keep McCombe (god knows why because he's been awful).

Murray should be on the bench to exchange with Wilson in the 2nd half. He excels as an impact player.

Showumni isn't good enough - can't fault his work ethic but he shouldn't still be here.

I agree with what you say, yet the best football we have played has been in a 4-4-1-1 formation.

IMO we don't seem to have two front men who have worked well together so I would play this formation today. I know it looks defensive, but it is actually, in theory, playing four attacking players - Byfield, Carle/Noble, Wilson/Sproule and McCindoe.

On another point, I feel sorry for Noble, because when he plays well, the whole team seems to play through him and we look a very good outfit. We also seem to be able to open up teams a lot more.

It's a big game and a great opportunity to pick up the full three points.

I don't like constantly chopping and changing the back five so I'd like to see us stick with Basso and McCombe. If Blackpool are playing Burgess up front then in theory this is McCombe's ideal opponent.

It seems as though Johnson believes we're short of goals and for that reason I think he'll go for Murray on the right, although he does seem to have a soft spot for Wilson so I wouldn't rule him out playing.

I think Carle is certain to start. I might be slightly misquoting GJ but I thought he said that Carle is capable of playing at a higher level, so if true then he's got a nailed on place in the starting eleven.

My Team:

Basso

Orr, McCombe, Fontaine, McCallister

Murray, Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe

Carle

Byfield

Enoch can come off the bench to a huge ovation and bag a winner.

With Carle recieving plenty of good reviews he should start. Not sure about up front as GJ says he can play all across the midfield. The downunder fans say he is best playing midfield. I still think Vasko is better with his feet than McCombe and faster, not sure he will get the nod though. Basso may have to die to give Weale a chance. Showumni will have a major point to prove and may get the nod over Byfield.............However !

Basso

Orr McCombe Fontaine McAllister

Wilson Elliot Carle McIndoe

Byfield Trundle.

Bench : Weale, Ribiero, LJ, Showumni, Murray.

It's a big game and a great opportunity to pick up the full three points.

Enoch can come off the bench to a huge ovation and bag a winner.

I'd hope we have secured all 3 points well before Enoch came off the bench!

Cant see him dropping Basso.

More importantly, will Enoch's head be in the right place after this weeks exploits?

I think Basso is defo our number 1, but after recent performances wont hurt to rest him for a game,

give him a chance to build up confidence levels.

4-4-1-1 i believe the way we play it, it is still a very attacking style with wingers getting forward, will suit Carle,

who i cant wait to see play from start today, looked good at Palace.

Enock, should be rewarded for his loyalty.

If game still level at 60 mins, bring on Trundle and Byfield from the bench and then possibly Vasko for last 10.

Come on you Redz!

Off to game now, couple of pre match ziders down bs3 after picking up me tickets for qpr.

With Carle recieving plenty of good reviews he should start. Not sure about up front as GJ says he can play all across the midfield. The downunder fans say he is best playing midfield. I still think Vasko is better with his feet than McCombe and faster, not sure he will get the nod though. Basso may have to die to give Weale a chance. Showumni will have a major point to prove and may get the nod over Byfield.............However !

Basso

Orr McCombe Fontaine McAllister

Wilson Elliot Carle McIndoe

Byfield Trundle.

Bench : Weale, Ribiero, LJ, Showumni, Murray.

Get real......Lee Johnson is not going to be dropped from the starting line-up. :disapointed2se:

So GJ has opted to play Carle on the right, why play a player out of his favoured position ?

It does seem he can't bring himself to drop his son, people will bring up the ugly head of nepotism more and more.

I feel for Carle, it's clear his best position, from what I've read, is in the middle, yet after 2 starts he's played in the hole and out wide. Poor lad, while LJ and Marv are fit I can't see him starting in the middle.

Give him a chance out wide before you question his ability to play there. Admittedly when he was signed there was no real news of him being able to play on the right. I'm assuming you haven't watched him in Turkey or at the Jets to judge this. I think he's doing well to start and he's proved something in training to GJ to suggest he's a good right midfielder.

I trust GJ more than the basis your judging Nicky, I suggest you leave your pity for him to the scenario of him playing badly out wide. I personally think the line up is exciting and wish I was at the gate today to watch it.

:englandflag:

So GJ has opted to play Carle on the right, why play a player out of his favoured position ?

It does seem he can't bring himself to drop his son, people will bring up the ugly head of nepotism more and more.

I feel for Carle, it's clear his best position, from what I've read, is in the middle, yet after 2 starts he's played in the hole and out wide. Poor lad, while LJ and Marv are fit I can't see him starting in the middle.

Because Sproule is injured? If GJ feels that Carle is a better option than Murray/Wilson why would he want to disrupt central midfield and play a worse option on the right?

I never said he COULD'NT play out wide, I said his best position, from what I've read is in the middle. We have 4 players in the squad already who can play wide right ( Sproule, Murray, Wilson, Betsy ) yet we lack options in the middle.

Elliot for me is the best player, let alone CM, we have at the club, so to drop him would be insane. LJ for all his efforts for me isn't cutting it, as I said, nepotism will be mentioned ( not only by myself )

I never said he COULD'NT play out wide, I said his best position, from what I've read is in the middle. We have 4 players in the squad already who can play wide right ( Sproule, Murray, Wilson, Betsy ) yet we lack options in the middle.

Elliot for me is the best player, let alone CM, we have at the club, so to drop him would be insane. LJ for all his efforts for me isn't cutting it, as I said, nopotism will be mentioned ( not only by myself )

But surely if GJ was determined not to drop his son, he wouldn't have signed Carle? I guess we'll get an answer when Sproule returns.

Enoch not even on the bench.. doesn't sound too good really? even if you don't like him ( which I do) if he goes we only have 2 strikers which are both playing now what if one gets injured?

Seems a bit suspect seeign as we a bit short that he's not on the bench maybe (but hopefully not) he's lost hsi trust in GJ. THen again wouldn't suprise if he's back in next week so hmm

Enoch not even on the bench.. doesn't sound too good really? even if you don't like him ( which I do) if he goes we only have 2 strikers which are both playing now what if one gets injured?

Seems a bit suspect seeign as we a bit short that he's not on the bench maybe (but hopefully not) he's lost hsi trust in GJ. THen again wouldn't suprise if he's back in next week so hmm

I guess we'll see Noble or Carle pushed forward if neccesary. Blackpool sounding fairly average though, unless one of their big lumps gets their head on a set piece i wouldn't be too worried. From the sounds of things Carle is playing superbly.

I guess we'll see Noble or Carle pushed forward if neccesary. Blackpool sounding fairly average though, unless one of their big lumps gets their head on a set piece i wouldn't be too worried. From the sounds of things Carle is playing superbly.

On a side note... Havant + Waterlooville are back in front after liverpool's equaliser... 1-2!!!!!!!!

Come on both teams!!!!!

Fair play, i don't think anybody guested GJ team. He is unprodictable and obviously streets ahead of us!

Carle was accomidated on the right and Vasko replaced Fontain.

Basso kept his place and Showomni wasn't even on the bench!

Good job GJ 3 points in the bag and everybody left guessing.

Keep up the good work, its all about results.

Magic!

Archived