IGNORED

What Does Everyone Predict Then?

YattonRed

What does everyone reckon then, if you were a betting man. As the deadline is upon us will GJ capture anyone he wants.

Do you reckon by midnight tomorrow will we have any new signing(s) ???

:goingup:

Cant see it happening. TomF mentioned yesterday that money is not the object - so if thats the case - where are the signings ?

Gary and the management team have had a month to find a few players that fit in with the current bunch and haven't done it.

Virtually everyone agrees we need a goalscorer - I just hope we do sign one - if we don't I fear disappointment come May.

No, pathetic ain't it? Need for a 20 a season goal scorer desperately, all the money in the world, all the time in the world, quality targets going elsewhere, no info to the press, GJ needs to sort it out or our luck is going to run out.

Virtually everyone agrees we need a goalscorer - I just hope we do sign one - if we don't I fear disappointment come May.

Sorry to keep raising this point but nobody has yet responded to it. You are not alone in believing (or in your case fearing) that not having a prolific striker means we will not achieve either automatic promotion or the play offs. Fair enough, might turn out to be true, only time will tell. But surely by that logic we should not be in the top 6 now, let alone second? Why exactly do people believe the pattern of the first 29 games will almost inevitably not continue for the next 17? Is there a rational case for saying that or is it anxiety? :unsure:

I think the gaffer is a bit worried about bringing someone in that might upset the Dessing Room Spirit which has seen us stay at the top. It's a starnge one as a quality striker should definitely make us stronger but reckon he being extra cautious as he wants nothing to blame should we start to fall away!

If the right players aren't available, then no amount of money is going to make a difference.

Condensing transfer activity into a one month period intensifies competition and makes it difficult to get the players required. It's a farce and I can understand why clubs, including BCFC, end up with no signings.

Rather get no one in than panic buys.

I'd be quite happy for a panic buy. We can afford it. Sell them if they don't turn out.

It's not anxiety mate, it's just a complete lack of perspective.

Wake up mate and stop being condescending. I have a very open perspective on it actually. I agree that the transfer window is a farce - but whilst other clubs may end up with no-one as well - there are those happily going about bringing in plenty of players. And I wouldn't deem many of those to be 'panic buys'. No we are not 2nd by fluke, but there have been plenty of games we could have lost but for a touch of good fortune. Eventually the good fortune may well evade us if we do not get a couple of goals clear of teams when we are playing well. I just feel 3 goals from Trundle, 4 from Enoch and 9 from Byfield is not good enough for our league position.

People rightly say look at the table - yeah it makes great reading - but where would we be if we had someone in the mould of Earnshaw ?

So yes I have a perspective thank-you and many people agree with me, rather than hang in with the usual and more regular posters on here.

Sorry to keep raising this point but nobody has yet responded to it. You are not alone in believing (or in your case fearing) that not having a prolific striker means we will not achieve either automatic promotion or the play offs. Fair enough, might turn out to be true, only time will tell. But surely by that logic we should not be in the top 6 now, let alone second? Why exactly do people believe the pattern of the first 29 games will almost inevitably not continue for the next 17? Is there a rational case for saying that or is it anxiety? :unsure:

As per my reply to Cynic above me old china...;-)

I just think we have picked up quite a few points where we may have derved less....I'm not saying our league position is a false one, but that eventually the luck will start to evade us and maybe to counter that, more firepower is needed.

Its difficult to not sound negative on here - i'm not I can assure you. If we go with what we have then so be it - as GJ says this group has got us where we are. I just hope we don't regret it if we don't get someone on board with a good scoring record.

Wake up mate and stop being condescending. I have a very open perspective on it actually. I agree that the transfer window is a farce - but whilst other clubs may end up with no-one as well - there are those happily going about bringing in plenty of players. And I wouldn't deem many of those to be 'panic buys'. No we are not 2nd by fluke, but there have been plenty of games we could have lost but for a touch of good fortune. Eventually the good fortune may well evade us if we do not get a couple of goals clear of teams when we are playing well. I just feel 3 goals from Trundle, 4 from Enoch and 9 from Byfield is not good enough for our league position.

People rightly say look at the table - yeah it makes great reading - but where would we be if we had someone in the mould of Earnshaw ?

So yes I have a perspective thank-you and many people agree with me, rather than hang in with the usual and more regular posters on here.

So let me see:

1. Are we luckier than every other team in the league?

2. Has good defending, teamwork etc. got anything to do with it?

3. If our strikers' record is not good enough for our position how can we possibly be in that position?

4. Second is not good enough we should be top?

5. Was it you who said you wanted a panic buy?

6. Could you, or anybody, answer my question above as to what rational reason there is to assume the pattern of the first 29 games will inevitably change in the last 17? :sign09:

So let me see:

1. Are we luckier than every other team in the league? I would think a lot of our opponents so far think that yes

2. Has good defending, teamwork etc. got anything to do with it? Yes it has of course - I've not brought that up as a down point have I ?

3. If our strikers' record is not good enough for our position how can we possibly be in that position? Good defending, Marvin Elliott chipping in with crucial goals are just 2 reasons.

4. Second is not good enough we should be top? I think in my opinion if we had someone who could hit the net more regularly then yes we would be - thats being realistic.

5. Was it you who said you wanted a panic buy? No - simply read back through the threads and you'll see it wasn't - in fact have you read all of my threads or just gone off on one ???????

6. Could you, or anybody, answer my question above as to what rational reason there is to assume the pattern of the first 29 games will inevitably change in the last 17? :sign09: I have answered it. God you must be bored. How much plainer do you want it - we have been fairly lucky in a no. of games - and eventually if we don't put teams like Blackpool away earlier - we will end up paying ofr it - regardless of good defending or people like Marv chipping in with crucial goals.

If GJ wants to sign the rite player he will. Everyone knows he does his business behind closed doors. If he feels a player isn't rite for us then he won't sign anyone simple as that. I realise just as much as anyone the problems we have up front but at the end of the day GJ has got us where we are without the 20 goal a season striker. Trust him he knows what he is doing.

Well said...

Why do we NEED a striker when a glance at last seasons stats tell you we may not

Last seasons top scorer was Jevo with 11 - WE WON PROMOTION

This season the top scorer so far is on target to beat that and we are SECOND

I think we all keep hoping for a striker to ease our own nerves and make it easy for us as supporters so we don't have to sit and bite our nails at 1-0 for last 20 mins of games

The team appear happy

I think that nicely sums up the absolute fantasy world that some people live in.

Perhaps I should have written 'panic'..

It aint a panic buy..its have a mini gamble and go all out to get someone who may score the one goal that gives us auto or playoffs.

Whether it be a loan or a purchase, I don't care. We mite not get this opportunity ever again and its worth a mini gamble...we can afford to buy a striker..If that player turns out to be not as prolific as he was bought for (trundle), then we can assess.

Why is that fantacy????

Can anyone remember where 1 nil to the Arsenal came from? I seem to remember them doing very well without scoring loads. To win you only have to score 1 more goal than the opposition. If you defend well, and GJ believes that defending starts from the front, and don't concede any you only need to pinch one to win. Hence we have Sproule and McIndoe to break quickly and LJ to deliver killer set plays.

I don't think any striker, no matter how good, would score a hatful of goals with the way we are set up to play.

Jeez.

don't you think EVERY club wants a 20+ goal a season striker ?

Has EVERY club got one ?

At least try to get some perspective on this farcical transfer window.

GJ pathetic ?

Mate, I think you missed the point of my post...

Have a look back at my position on this and it'll all make a bit more sense...

I have answered it. God you must be bored. How much plainer do you want it - we have been fairly lucky in a no. of games - and eventually if we don't put teams like Blackpool away earlier - we will end up paying ofr it - regardless of good defending or people like Marv chipping in with crucial goals.

Sorry to be so boring but with respect you have not said what rational reason (as opposed to an understandable concern) there is to assume that what you call our luck is bound to run out. On what basis do you guarantee that we will, as you say, pay for it? You may turn out to be right, football is an unpredictable business (with the possible exception of the top of the Prem) but there is no evidence to say it will definitely happen as you claim. Similarly I could not prove that it won't. Nor could either of us (or GJ) prove that signing a striker will guarantee promotion. It interests me that so many people assume the bubble is bound to burst after 29 games, that's all. I assume we are all getting twitchy because the promised land is so close. It was much the same last year. I just hope the players and management are not in the same state!

I don't think we will sign anyone and I am dumbfounded as to why.We are in a great position thanks to GJ and the current squad but what the hell would be wrong in adding a striker to the mix.Going on the logic explained on here about not upsetting the dessing room , we wouild never sign anyone again.There have enough strikers on the move and I think it will be a great opportunity wasted especially when Steve Lansdown has said he will support a signing.We always seem to fail to get the final piece of the jigsaw.Great pity but I will still be shouting myself hoarse at QPR on Saturday.

I have answered it. God you must be bored. How much plainer do you want it - we have been fairly lucky in a no. of games - and eventually if we don't put teams like Blackpool away earlier - we will end up paying ofr it - regardless of good defending or people like Marv chipping in with crucial goals.

Sorry to be so boring but with respect you have not said what rational reason (as opposed to an understandable concern) there is to assume that what you call our luck is bound to run out. On what basis do you guarantee that we will, as you say, pay for it? You may turn out to be right, football is an unpredictable business (with the possible exception of the top of the Prem) but there is no evidence to say it will definitely happen as you claim. Similarly I could not prove that it won't. Nor could either of us (or GJ) prove that signing a striker will guarantee promotion. It interests me that so many people assume the bubble is bound to burst after 29 games, that's all. I assume we are all getting twitchy because the promised land is so close. It was much the same last year. I just hope the players and management are not in the same state!

How could I Guarantee it....you facetious git...?

Maybe there isn't a rational answer - have you thought of that....?? So why persist in demanding that someone gives you a rational answer ?

Maybe, just maybe its all in the lap of the gods or GJ as we refer to him. Where did I say it our luck will definetely run out - I didn't - I said one would think sooner or later its bound to happen ? No-one is saying either of us could prove signing this person or that person will guarantee promotion - blimey if I could I would probably get the vacant Job at Southampton...!!!

As for getting twitchy ....no i'm not at all actually. I've got my season ticket mate and i'm there every home game and the occasional away game - I love it - maybe we'll all get as you call it 'twitchy' with a few games to go - but not 17.

You're very good at putting words into peoples mouths - I didnt say the bubble would burst either - I said you'd think some of the luck would run out - I never said that would last 17 games....did i ??

Archived