IGNORED

What Does Everyone Predict Then?

YattonRed

I don't think we will sign anyone and I am dumbfounded as to why.We are in a great position thanks to GJ and the current squad but what the hell would be wrong in adding a striker to the mix.Going on the logic explained on here about not upsetting the dessing room , we wouild never sign anyone again.There have enough strikers on the move and I think it will be a great opportunity wasted especially when Steve Lansdown has said he will support a signing.We always seem to fail to get the final piece of the jigsaw.Great pity but I will still be shouting myself hoarse at QPR on Saturday.

Blimey steady on redrebel - you'll be joining me in upsetting the locals.

For what its worth though, I totally agree.

How could I Guarantee it....you facetious git...?

Maybe there isn't a rational answer - have you thought of that....?? So why persist in demanding that someone gives you a rational answer ?

Maybe, just maybe its all in the lap of the gods or GJ as we refer to him. Where did I say it our luck will definetely run out - I didn't - I said one would think sooner or later its bound to happen ? No-one is saying either of us could prove signing this person or that person will guarantee promotion - blimey if I could I would probably get the vacant Job at Southampton...!!!

As for getting twitchy ....no i'm not at all actually. I've got my season ticket mate and i'm there every home game and the occasional away game - I love it - maybe we'll all get as you call it 'twitchy' with a few games to go - but not 17.

You're very good at putting words into peoples mouths - I didnt say the bubble would burst either - I said you'd think some of the luck would run out - I never said that would last 17 games....did i ??

I don't recall making nor did I intend to make any personal remarks but apologies if I have offended you. To quote : eventually if we don't put teams like Blackpool away earlier - we will end up paying ofr it.

That seems to imply it is bound to happen. Maybe I'm misreading it. There are certainly others much more certain than you that failure to sign a striker means we will not get automatic promotion/the play-offs but none has yet said why that is inevitable. My point about twitchiness was a reference to us fans as a whole not you as an individual and I was suggesting that is why the whole striker debate has generated more heat than light. As I say your concern may be proved to be justified. Only time will tell. :fingerscrossed::thumbsup:

No, pathetic ain't it? Need for a 20 a season goal scorer desperately, all the money in the world, all the time in the world, quality targets going elsewhere, no info to the press, GJ needs to sort it out or our luck is going to run out.

If top of the championship is pathetic you should go and support man u or arsenal.

We don't need mindless remarks directed to a manager who is so close to taking us back to the promised land.

If top of the championship is pathetic you should go and support man u or arsenal.

We don't need mindless remarks directed to a manager who is so close to taking us back to the promised land.

I refer you to posts #11, #28 & #29 on this very thread...

I don't think we will sign anyone and I am dumbfounded as to why.We are in a great position thanks to GJ and the current squad but what the hell would be wrong in adding a striker to the mix.Going on the logic explained on here about not upsetting the dessing room , we wouild never sign anyone again.

Not only that but what about when players leave?

Perhaps the dressing room was upset when Woodman got a free transfer?

Are some players eyeing Jevons' empty shirt peg with tearful eyes?

Was Enoch just too popular to go?

No, in football players come and go all the time and the group reforms accordingly.

If, as in one notable instance, GJ sees that the potential signing may upset things then fair enough, the deal is called off.

In the majority of cases though this would not be a problem. We obviously need a striker, and most targets would not be the type to upset the dressing room.

If there is no signing I will be dumbfounded too.

Not only that but what about when players leave?

Perhaps the dressing room was upset when Woodman got a free transfer?

Are some players eyeing Jevons' empty shirt peg with tearful eyes?

Was Enoch just too popular to go?

No, in football players come and go all the time and the group reforms accordingly.

If, as in one notable instance, GJ sees that the potential signing may upset things then fair enough, the deal is called off.

In the majority of cases though this would not be a problem. We obviously need a striker, and most targets would not be the type to upset the dressing room.

If there is no signing I will be dumbfounded too.

Al good points, but this does igonore as many factors as to why GJ's transfer targets might not come to us as it takes in.

What if (like Fleetwood at Forest Green or Grant Holt from Forest last year) a player we agreed a fee for and were talking with just didn't want to leave the area and/or teammates/family?

What if (like Cotts' transfer last year) another club jumps in with a better fee and/or conditions for the player at the last min?

What if (like with several deals this year and every year) the player would like to come but his club put up too many stumbling blocks (fee, conditions ect) so we can't get them?

What if (like Enoch and Leeds) a player feels he has a better chance at doing well (both on the pitch and in the pocket) by staying put for now, rather than taking a potentially career ruining risk by moving clubs in Jan, despite his club not minding him going?

I have no doubt we've been looking at many players this window, maybe even talking to them after sorting things with their clubs. Why do we think that just because no one has come in and GJ doesn't reveal stuff to the press (has he ever?) that we've not been trying our hardest to improve the squad?

If we can't get the righ targets would it make any sense what-so-ever to just bring someone else in for the hell of it? I think that would be a sign of weakness on GJ part.

I don't recall making nor did I intend to make any personal remarks but apologies if I have offended you. To quote : eventually if we don't put teams like Blackpool away earlier - we will end up paying ofr it.

That seems to imply it is bound to happen. Maybe I'm misreading it. There are certainly others much more certain than you that failure to sign a striker means we will not get automatic promotion/the play-offs but none has yet said why that is inevitable. My point about twitchiness was a reference to us fans as a whole not you as an individual and I was suggesting that is why the whole striker debate has generated more heat than light. As I say your concern may be proved to be justified. Only time will tell. :fingerscrossed::thumbsup:

OK - enough I think. My point is purely that I think a proven goalscorer will enhance our chances shall we say.

:innocent06:

Can anyone remember where 1 nil to the Arsenal came from? I seem to remember them doing very well without scoring loads. To win you only have to score 1 more goal than the opposition. If you defend well, and GJ believes that defending starts from the front, and don't concede any you only need to pinch one to win. Hence we have Sproule and McIndoe to break quickly and LJ to deliver killer set plays.

I don't think any striker, no matter how good, would score a hatful of goals with the way we are set up to play.

That is a very good point.

I can't believe it is just "one of those things", or bad luck that we have only been given ONE penalty this year!

I'm not knocking the style, but it makes you think.

Al good points, but this does igonore as many factors as to why GJ's transfer targets might not come to us as it takes in.

What if (like Fleetwood at Forest Green or Grant Holt from Forest last year) a player we agreed a fee for and were talking with just didn't want to leave the area and/or teammates/family?

What if (like Cotts' transfer last year) another club jumps in with a better fee and/or conditions for the player at the last min?

What if (like with several deals this year and every year) the player would like to come but his club put up too many stumbling blocks (fee, conditions ect) so we can't get them?

What if (like Enoch and Leeds) a player feels he has a better chance at doing well (both on the pitch and in the pocket) by staying put for now, rather than taking a potentially career ruining risk by moving clubs in Jan, despite his club not minding him going?

I have no doubt we've been looking at many players this window, maybe even talking to them after sorting things with their clubs. Why do we think that just because no one has come in and GJ doesn't reveal stuff to the press (has he ever?) that we've not been trying our hardest to improve the squad?

If we can't get the righ targets would it make any sense what-so-ever to just bring someone else in for the hell of it? I think that would be a sign of weakness on GJ part.

Good rational post. Saved me writing along the same lines.

I was just writing a reply when the text came through about Adebola. I actually think he could be a handy short term signing for us. Hes actually big and can hold up the ball unlike the others in the team and each time we've played Coventry i felt hes been the only player to trouble because of his sheer presense. Yes hes 33 but his experience could prove vital in going up.

I still think there could be more to the Garner story and it wouldnt surprise me if he signed as well.

I was just writing a reply when the text came through about Adebola. I actually think he could be a handy short term signing for us. Hes actually big and can hold up the ball unlike the others in the team and each time we've played Coventry i felt hes been the only player to trouble because of his sheer presense. Yes hes 33 but his experience could prove vital in going up.

I still think there could be more to the Garner story and it wouldnt surprise me if he signed as well.

Interesting that both Joe Garner AND Sam Volkes' names have appeared over the last 24 hours. Both teenage strikers plying their trade below the championship; ones for the future perhaps? You get the feeling Adebola is a short term option to get us out of the league whilst they might be the longer term signings, IF we make another.

Archived