IGNORED

Roberts

beaverface

Am I the only one who thinks Roberts isn't very good on the right wing?

Everytime he has the ball out there he dilly's and dally's.

I just wish he'd knock the ball 10feet in front of him and peg after it before swinging the ball into the middle.

Instead he tries stepping over the ball and using his skill before either eventually being tackled or backpassing the ball.

Guest Champagne Football

I think he is a lot better out there rather than his back facing goal because he has run out of room to run into. He poses a constant threat, which most of our midfield don't (in terms of speed and shooting ability) so if he improves his crossing and his willingness to take on players he is another outlet that we can attack from. Up front he seems isolated and drifts into the wing anyway.

With defensive duties he is a bit of a liability but I feel confident that Hulbert/Tommy can cover as well as Carey so it's probably the position that he fits into the side the best.

Having been one of his biggest critics I have to say that he has played brilliantly this season and put so much effort into every game. I think he has to play wide right as then he can use his pace and frighten defenders (alot like murray!!)

Midfield should appear as follows:

Roberts Wilkshire The Doc Tinman

to start with anyway

Having been one of his biggest critics I have to say that he has played brilliantly this season and put so much effort into every game. I think he has to play wide right as then he can use his pace and frighten defenders (alot like murray!!)

Midfield should appear as follows:

Roberts                  Wilkshire                    The Doc                  Tinman

to start with anyway

100% agree with your midfield formation, however, wouldn't care if Burnell was in the team instead of Tommy.

It is only a question of time before Miller is taken out of the right berth so hopefully we might see this soon.

Tomorrow would be nice. :GrayEars:

Roberts is probably our only hope of making something happen this year from our midfield, the only alternative to slow defensive midfield play that we have, tins is to be excluded from the rest of them as he should not be expected to be running about for them at his age.

Roberts needs to be playing every week to gain confidence, and will score goals that are oh so desperately needed. :sport19:

I thought at the start of the season the noises coming out of Ashton gate were that Roberts was to be given the chance on the right when Murray left, how any player can expect to come off the bench and given the odd 20 minutes every now and again and expect to perform is beyond me.

Like you say Tomarse he has to be given a good run of games before he is judged, something Wilkshire definately has had.

100% agree with your midfield formation, however, wouldn't care if Burnell was in the team instead of Tommy.

Burnell will be in the team instead of tommy because tommy is suspended (again) and if burnell has the flu hulbert will step in , maybe even clist could be on the bench!!!! (or is that just wishfull thinking?) :Cheeky3: :Cheeky20: :Confused13: :clap:

Not sure of having Clist on the bench would be wishful thinking, i could think of others that deserve to be in front of him that haven't been given a chance as yet.

If the myth that is Clist is to be believed we would have heard how wonderfully well he had been playing in the rezzies for the past season or so, i have yet to be told that he is anywhere near worthy of a first team outing, if he can't shine against other reserve teams why should he be getting first team action.

Give roberts a go on the left and balance the wings out..

as it is the cup we may as well go for broke and attack

i still would like to see this team have a bash at the saints

.......philips........

amankwaah.....coles.......hill......woodman...

.....lita....wilkshire....tinnion....roberts....

............peacock........miller.............

butler

stowell

matthews

fortune

hulbert

:Costumed19: BRING BACK SCOTT MURRAY :clap::D :Party27:

Personally I think Roberts is one of the weakest links in the team. He seems clueless, his control is rubbish and all his crosses go past the back post

For starters 17 goals last season say you are completely wrong.

The fact is my friends that Roberts is on a different wave length to most of our team. His timing of runs, general movement and passing are far too quick and advanced for most of our players.

I remember seeing him from the touchline (Williams Stand) against Wycombe lasts eason when we won 3-0 and he was outstanding dropping off onto the right wing.

Even Murray couldn't keep up with the runs and passes Christian was making.

He IS a right winger and not a natural striker, but also boasts an outstanding shot from outside the area.

Hope to see him involved much more this season, far from the weakest link he is definetly one of City's strongest current players.

I remember seeing him from the touchline (Williams Stand) against Wycombe lasts eason when we won 3-0 and he was outstanding dropping off onto the right wing.

A few points really.

1. I think Roberts playe on the left that day and was magnificent. Would definitely consider this as an option. The defence didn't know what to do with him.

2. If he is going to make the right wing (or left) position his own, he really does need to work on his crossing ability. Either that, or combat his inability to put in a telling cross in the same way Murray did....by scoring shed loads. Unfortunately, despite the faultless 150% work rate put in by Robbo every game, this is one aspect of his game that shows up quite alarmingly.

3. Tomarse suggested giving him a run of 10 games out on the right and judge him after that. The trouble is....would the fans give him 10 games? Wilkshire got about 3 games in before the hassle started....what might have been had he been given time to settle in on the right before the moaning started. City fans don't give time, unfortunately. We all want success and we all want it now.

4. I like Robbo, I really do...Anyone prepared to work for the team as hard as he does earns high respect from me, but I really wouldn't pick him as constant first choice in my team at present. I'd go with a 3-5-2, with Carey, Coles & Hill at the back, Amankwaah and Woody as wingbacks, with Tins, Docs and Wilkshire in the middle and Peacock partnering a rotation of Robbo and Miller up front. I can see no other formation or team that could get more out of this squad....I'm sure Danny sees it differently, though! :clap:

Archived