IGNORED

Target Men At Ashton Gate......

Red Wardy

It's always great having a good target man. They create space, create goals and score a few themselves.

In recent(ish) years, I enjoyed watching Robbie Turner battering defences alongside Super Bob (also very physical). Who can forget his performance against Chelsea in the FA Cup?

I also have a great deal of respect for The Chief. Often slated by fans, seemingly for not being Dziekanowski or Andy Cole, he always did well with whoever he played with. He held the ball up very well, caused mayhem in the opponents box and scored a lot of goals by the time he left.

So who was the best in your opinion?

Includes several of Big Dele's goals from last year BUT more importantly shows the sort of target man he is, as he is involved in as many as he scores. And these are Championship defences he's menacing in these clips (except for us in the FA cup!) and I can already see players like Carle, Trundle and Byfield (and to a certain degree Brooker) licking their lips over playing next to a player who can cause the sort of problems for defences Dele seems to.

It's like Bas Savage if Bas could finish, hold the ball up and bring others in to play a bit better. Chaos with a purpose, if you will.

Steve Torpey.

Great work rate but a bit comical. I'll never forget sitting in the Williams during the ill-fated 98-99 campaign and the whole block laughing at the poor bloke after falling over his own feet and the ball landing on his head. The laughter wasn't in malice, I think we were all punch drunk from the serial defeats. With perfect comic timing, a bloke turned to me and shouted "Steve Torpey, the performing Clown of Ashton Gate" - funny as hell I tell ya.

Great work rate but a bit comical. I'll never forget sitting in the Williams during the ill-fated 98-99 campaign and the whole block laughing at the poor bloke after falling over his own feet and the ball landing on his head. The laughter wasn't in malice, I think we were all punch drunk from the serial defeats. With perfect comic timing, a bloke turned to me and shouted "Steve Torpey, the performing Clown of Ashton Gate" - funny as hell I tell ya.

to be honest I've got good memories of 'Torpey-do'; his goals on Boxing Day when we beat Swindon last time we were at this level and a goal of his against Reading at home, which he hit in off the underside of the crossbar on the stroke of half time. think we ended up winning 3-1 and Billy Mercer saved a pen late on. Torey played his arse ff that day and whatever you say about the bloke he could really mix it when he put his mind to it.

to be honest I've got good memories of 'Torpey-do'; his goals on Boxing Day when we beat Swindon last time we were at this level and a goal of his against Reading at home, which he hit in off the underside of the crossbar on the stroke of half time. think we ended up winning 3-1 and Billy Mercer saved a pen late on. Torey played his arse ff that day and whatever you say about the bloke he could really mix it when he put his mind to it.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Torps. Not the most gifted footballer but made up for it with sheer graft, always gave it his all. He stood out as being one of the very few players that actually gave a sh1t that season. For that alone, I salute him.

It's always great having a good target man. They create space, create goals and score a few themselves.

In recent(ish) years, I enjoyed watching Robbie Turner battering defences alongside Super Bob (also very physical). Who can forget his performance against Chelsea in the FA Cup?

I also have a great deal of respect for The Chief. Often slated by fans, seemingly for not being Dziekanowski or Andy Cole, he always did well with whoever he played with. He held the ball up very well, caused mayhem in the opponents box and scored a lot of goals by the time he left.

So who was the best in your opinion?

Ian Baird

Calm down it's a joke

Come on as if

Robbie Turner for me, especially once SuperBob was put next to him. Won everything in the air and bruised plenty of defenders, plus scored his fair share as the 'foil' in the partnership.

I think Adebola is an excellent signing, contrary to what some on here have said. He is a menace, and we haven't had one of those for a while! Welcome Dele! :goingup:

Archived