IGNORED

Nepotism

Red to the world

.........but this is starting to affect the team / club adversely.

We pay half a million for a quality left sided midfielder and play him on the right wing.

Why - to make sure LJ stays in the team.

I am not an LJ hater - he is a good footballer who has contributed much to our success - but if he is ALWAYS going to be the first name on the team sheet then that rapes the normal selection process in my opinion.

It reduces your normal options and dictates certain decisions which should not be dictated.

Why buy him at considerable cost ( Carle that is ) if you are going to continually play him out of position ?

Personally I wish we had never signed LJ and stuck with Russell - then team selection may have been more balanced.

I await the normal brickbats ( but I am not blaming LJ for today - I just think that GJ gets that bit wrong ! )

I think its a fair point, especially given the fact LJ was subbed moments after for DN. Didn't sound like Johnson had a bad game but i would of prefered to see Sproule on for him and Carle moved into the middle just to see how it would of worked, at 3-0 down its not like it could get much worse.

We pay half a million for a quality left sided midfielder and play him on the right wing.

I am not an LJ hater - he is a good footballer who has contributed much to our success - but if he is ALWAYS going to be the first name on the team sheet then that rapes the normal selection process in my opinion.

It reduces your normal options and dictates certain decisions which should not be dictated.

Why buy him at considerable cost ( Carle that is ) if you are going to continually play him out of position ?

Personally I wish we had never signed LJ and stuck with Russell - then team selection may have been more balanced.

I await the normal brickbats ( but I am not blaming LJ for today - I just think that GJ gets that bit wrong ! )

That's a well considered post and I have to agree with you.

why? because johnson doesn't change a winning team

plus.....when Carle was signed Johnson said,he can play anywhere accross midfield

why? why why?

Lee Johnson's one of the first names on the teamsheet because he's the most creative central midfielder at the club (highest amount of assist's at the club)

Carle was signed to add strength to the squad in midfielder (can play in any midfield position) and is therefore isn't playing out of position

if we hadn't signed Johnson like you wish, there is a strong chance we wouldn't have gone up last season considering the stats

if Lee Johnson surname wasn't Johnson - this posting wouldn't actually exist would it.

As several of you have mentioned Carle CAN play all across the midfield. A good pro and international player can play anywhere, however all players have a preferred position. Carle can use his right foot, but is a natural left footer and most of his career has been center or left midfield. With Sproule available, I feel Carle could have been better placed.

How do we know LJ was the source of the problem today out of interest? Not heard anything bad a bout him today. Infact his freekick got turned onto the bar and I've heard a few mentions of his decent passing.

I was there and thought he played well again. Into the 2nd half Carle started to make some nice runs and will be a threat as the season draws to a close. Adebola looked ok at holding up the ball

But rather than get on LJ's back (who I rate), we should just realise that we are punching above our weight by about 20 pts....People on here expect us to roll teams over every week...this spoilt attitude is a new thing and damaging, people werent even this arrogant last season.

...and as for the assumptive talk about us playing prem football next year..pathetic!

Rant over...lets get behind the lads and push for 17+ pts in the last block ff 10 (rather than winging about LJ).

...COUNTDOWN STARTS NOW.....CMON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also at the game today and being London based do not see City as much as I'd prefer - was at Watford, Palace and QPR amongst some others elsewhere. What is worrying me, forget focusing on LJ, is a general downturn in individual performances and the preference of the long ball rather than the passing game I'd seen earlier in the season which makes the forwards ineffectual and by passes the midfield. Have we changed our style, I remember seeing some games on Sky odds live ones round the country and to me we appear to have lost our ability to pass the ball, penetrate defences with some semblance of guile - almost from the kick off we are pumping long ball forward. Our all round play is looking untidy.

I was there and thought he played well again. Into the 2nd half Carle started to make some nice runs and will be a threat as the season draws to a close. Adebola looked ok at holding up the ball

But rather than get on LJ's back (who I rate), we should just realise that we are punching above our weight by about 20 pts....People on here expect us to roll teams over every week...this spoilt attitude is a new thing and damaging, people werent even this arrogant last season.

...and as for the assumptive talk about us playing prem football next year..pathetic!

Rant over...lets get behind the lads and push for 17+ pts in the last block ff 10 (rather than winging about LJ).

...COUNTDOWN STARTS NOW.....CMON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

well said mr Bread me likes your style but I for one want city to get to the prem and playing players in there most common postion would be the best way to go when as you said we are punching above our weight.

I've broached the subject of the 'irreplaceable' Johnson Junior before, and got the usual abuse for daring to question the "Messiah's" team selection. At least he subbed him today, which is something he hasn't done for a long time.

I agree with the comment that Johnson Senior's team selection is tainted by the fact the he MUST play Johnson Junior in centre midfield EVERY game, REGARDLESS of the opposition, tactics, etc, etc...

The point is, with Johnson Senior's judgement coloured by his son's presence in the team, I find he rarely has an answer when the opposition's tactics are spot on and he seems incapable of changing our organisation or tactics on the fly to counter the opposition's plans.

I switched the commentary off today at half-time, because I was pretty sure by then we were going to get nothing out of the game.

So perhaps someone can tell me - what about our substituions today? Did we change it around or did we simply replace like for like? Did we change the way we approached the game when we came out for the second half? Did we play better in the 2nd-half?

We seem to have that reputation now, that if you can get your nose in front, then you should get at least a point from us, more likely all three.

Gutted!

I agree with you there, in a 4-5-1 he gets more time on the ball and there always enough players to help out when in a 4-4-2 he is not up to it as an athlete and more importantly he is far to small.

I've broached the subject of the 'irreplaceable' Johnson Junior before, and got the usual abuse for daring to question the "Messiah's" team selection. At least he subbed him today, which is something he hasn't done for a long time.

I agree with the comment that Johnson Senior's team selection is tainted by the fact the he MUST play Johnson Junior in centre midfield EVERY game, REGARDLESS of the opposition, tactics, etc, etc...

The point is, with Johnson Senior's judgement coloured by his son's presence in the team, I find he rarely has an answer when the opposition's tactics are spot on and he seems incapable of changing our organisation or tactics on the fly to counter the opposition's plans.

I switched the commentary off today at half-time, because I was pretty sure by then we were going to get nothing out of the game.

So perhaps someone can tell me - what about our substituions today? Did we change it around or did we simply replace like for like? Did we change the way we approached the game when we came out for the second half? Did we play better in the 2nd-half?

We seem to have that reputation now, that if you can get your nose in front, then you should get at least a point from us, more likely all three.

Gutted!

I believe that's it very possible that your judgment is clouded on his son's presence in the team? perhaps he plays because he's been playing well? and perhaps he's playing each week because he's been the most creative centre midfielder in the team and was the most creative central midfielder last season?

still perhaps people just pick on him as usual because he's an easy target,

I agree with you there, in a 4-5-1 he gets more time on the ball and there always enough players to help out when in a 4-4-2 he is not up to it as an athlete and more importantly he is far to small.

Smaller than say Dennis Wise or Billy Bremner? I doubt it. There have been many quality midfield players who are small in stature, LJ is one of them.

I was also at the game today and being London based do not see City as much as I'd prefer - was at Watford, Palace and QPR amongst some others elsewhere. What is worrying me, forget focusing on LJ, is a general downturn in individual performances and the preference of the long ball rather than the passing game I'd seen earlier in the season which makes the forwards ineffectual and by passes the midfield. Have we changed our style, I remember seeing some games on Sky odds live ones round the country and to me we appear to have lost our ability to pass the ball, penetrate defences with some semblance of guile - almost from the kick off we are pumping long ball forward. Our all round play is looking untidy.

An excellent summary there and spot on. City need to get back to their slick passing game which has got us to where we are currently in the table.

With the likes of LJ, Carle and our player of the season Elliott in midfield we really to use them all the time. They control the games and it's not our forwards that win us many games. Back to what we do best City.

I was there too and thought Johnson and Carle got in each other's way. It meant the shape was all wrong - it meant we had no Sproule and therefore no width on the right. The game was far too tight in midfield, & Elliott had a poor game by his standards. I think LJ is a very good player, but he & Carle are too similar to play together - small creative midfielders. I'd have preferred to see either one of them & keep Sproule who looked dangerous when he came on. GJ took Carle off when we were 3-0 down, whereas surely at that point we needed anyone more likely to score, which had to be Carle for me. We do miss Carey too - GJ still doesn't know who to play at the back & changed Vasko at H-T even though I thought he hadn't played that badly. GJ is a genius, but he is also fallible and I thought he got it wrong today. Just glad most of the time he gets it right.

Top post that man- I 'd love to see Elliott partnered by Carle in the middle but unless Lee is injured or suspended that just ain't going to happen. I decided not to go today after the shite offered up at Palace so I don't know how he played today but I did hear Johnson Jnr was subbed.......with 5 minutes to go!

It does seem strange to have a natural right winger in Sproule sat on the bench but you play a central midfielder in his postion to undoubtedly keep LJ in the side.

Keep it simple Gary and put the best players in their natural postions. Changes required against Scunny!

Well just listening on the radio, I think I now know why GJ doesn't sub LJ more often. If the blinkered few "cheer" when he is subbed that will have a fantastic effect on his confidence and desire to play for us won't it?

Good job you were not sat where I was today,. The guy behind me did nothing but slag Johnson off all game. Good job LJ could not hear this guy cos if LJ had he would have no confidence left at all. Why can't we as fans get behind all the players? :disapointed2se:

Good job you were not sat where I was today,. The guy behind me did nothing but slag Johnson off all game. Good job LJ could not hear this guy cos if LJ had he would have no confidence left at all. Why can't we as fans get behind all the players? :disapointed2se:

Unfortunately he's an easy target as some people use apparent nepotism to have a handle to criticise GJ and LJ.

I for one am an LJ fan and am disappointed with the amount of criticism he gets. However, GJ does not help himself sometimes by appearing to put LJ on the teamsheet first, in all situations.

For me, today GJ could have selected LJ and Nick Carle in their preferred positions by playing a 4-4-1-1, Adebola up front with Carle in the hole, McIndoe and Sproule the wingers with Elliot and LJ in the middle. I would have preferred Fontaine from the start, and without Carey, McCombe at CB (although I wasn't there and understand he was off the pace?)

The most disappointing thing at the moment appears to be the attitude of a vocal minority of fans who are over-critical, unsupportive, negative and appear not to appreciate how far we've come under GJ. This is not me being a happy-clapper, I recognise when GJ makes mistakes and which players have bad games etc. I just think people could use this considerable energy to get behind the team with positive support including singing - I understand we weren't particularly noisy yesterday despite the numbers?

The issue is not Lee Johnson. It's the balance and creativity of the midfield to release the forwards.

The facts are these

No one in the division has lost less games than City; 7 all season

Only Charlton, Crystal Palace and Hull have conceeded less goals than City all season.

With te exception of Hull and Wolves, everyone in the top 12 has scored more goals than City. Plymouth in 12th have scored the same number of goals

It is what the midfield creates for the strikers that is the issue. If they don't feed them they won't score.

Carle definitely should not be on the right wing. Sproule should and he should be fed balls that he can run onto and then deliver across goal.

Elliott is the first choice on the teamsheet, but from what I have seen so far, there is no balance with a midfield that consists of Carle, Elliot and Johnson

Is a really good post actually.

I've never been on any player's back but some of this is making me a bit uncomfortable.

A good mate of mine goes to watch his local team Woking all over the country (fair play to him for that) and he was going on all last season when I'd see him in the pub about Glenn Cockerill their then-manager who insisted on playing his 2 sons in midfield. He said he's all for it but they are never subbed and have had some poor games.

Saw him recently he said Cockerill was sacked end of last season and his 2 sons are now playing 3 leagues lower than Woking's division.

Drawing a long bow I know but it does stick in my mind at times when I see him not subbed at times when he's been pushed off the ball left right and centre.

Here we go again :disapointed2se: Not a single football-based argument for LJ to be replaced and lots of shouts of "Nepotism", "he is ALWAYS going to be the first name on the team sheet", "team selection is tainted by the fact the he MUST play Johnson Junior in centre midfield", "Johnson Senior's judgement coloured by his son's presence in the team" from the usual 'only see you when we're losing' suspects. But I guess it is easier to post according to your preconceived negative agenda when you are at home and have no idea what is going on on the pitch.

After making the initial mistake of selecting the starting 11 (If ever there was a lesson in keeping a winning team not always being the best policy it was yesterday) GJ had the problem of only being able to make 3 substitutions. At half time you could make a case for each outfield player to be replaced. Nick Carle was high on my list as he had a 'mare; sliced clearances, wanted too much time on the ball, no end product. Elliot and Johnson were not far behind in the shocker stakes.

When Nick Carle wasn't at the club we had no-one who could seriously compete for his role in the team. Now he is LJ is playing well so doesn't deserve to lose his place. It's now up for LJ to lose it and for NC to win it.

What the real issue is that GJ can't tell us Carle can play out wide when he clearly can't and never has done. If you want 4-4-2 pick one of LJ or NC, or play 4-5-1 and accommodate them both.

Here we go again :disapointed2se: Not a single football-based argument for LJ to be replaced and lots of shouts of "Nepotism", "he is ALWAYS going to be the first name on the team sheet", "team selection is tainted by the fact the he MUST play Johnson Junior in centre midfield", "Johnson Senior's judgement coloured by his son's presence in the team" from the usual 'only see you when we're losing' suspects. But I guess it is easier to post according to your preconceived negative agenda when you are at home and have no idea what is going on on the pitch.

After making the initial mistake of selecting the starting 11 (If ever there was a lesson in keeping a winning team not always being the best policy it was yesterday) GJ had the problem of only being able to make 3 substitutions. At half time you could make a case for each outfield player to be replaced. Nick Carle was high on my list as he had a 'mare; sliced clearances, wanted too much time on the ball, no end product. Elliot and Johnson were not far behind in the shocker stakes.

I wouldn't have started with McCombe or Johnson Junior.

Basso

McAllister - Fontaine - Vasko (but we need LC back badly) - Orr

McIndoe - Carle - Elliott - Sproule

Adebola - Byfield

It may not have won but we were getting overrun from the midfield all the time.

Johnson Jnr does not handle a battling game where our back is to the wall. The guy has the build of a 15 year old kid, it is impossible for him to compete at times when we need him to.

I'd like to see Carle in the middle with Elliott.

All of my views are very much based on football.

At times I have thought LJ should come off and he hasn't, its only human nature to suspect something.

Just as Yeovil fans sang "Play for your daddy, you only play for your daddy" - its something to pick on. I personally hope it isnt the case but there has been times he could have brought him off and he hasnt.

I disagree with GJ on other team selections as well though not based on nepotism. My thoughts on LJ, McCombe and others are all football based.

I'd like to see Carle and Elliott in the middle, it would add bite and keep attacking options open.

Carle was out of position yesterday - you can tell pretty quickly when a player is playing in a less familiar role.

Archived