IGNORED

Nepotism

Red to the world

I wouldn't have started with McCombe or Johnson Junior.

Basso

McAllister - Fontaine - Vasko (but we need LC back badly) - Orr

McIndoe - Carle - Elliott - Sproule

Adebola - Byfield

It may not have won but we were getting overrun from the midfield all the time.

Johnson Jnr does not handle a battling game where our back is to the wall. The guy has the build of a 15 year old kid, it is impossible for him to compete at times when we need him to.

I'd like to see Carle in the middle with Elliott.

All of my views are very much based on football.

At times I have thought LJ should come off and he hasn't, its only human nature to suspect something.

Just as Yeovil fans sang "Play for your daddy, you only play for your daddy" - its something to pick on. I personally hope it isnt the case but there has been times he could have brought him off and he hasnt.

I disagree with GJ on other team selections as well though not based on nepotism. My thoughts on LJ, McCombe and others are all football based.

I'd like to see Carle and Elliott in the middle, it would add bite and keep attacking options open.

Carle was out of position yesterday - you can tell pretty quickly when a player is playing in a less familiar role.

So why didn't you say that the first time :)

I'm sure we'll get to see an Elliot Carle midfield at some stage and when we do we can start judging how effective it is. Since signing NC we have some real competition for LJ's position. You are right to say he is horribly out of position on the right and I hope him being subbed was a recognition of that by the management team.

The thing LJ does well is provide a link between the defence and the attack. On the evidence of Carle 'helping' the defence out yesterday he did not look comfortable whenever he was close to his own goal. So he may struggle, like Noble does, when he is asked to be behind the other three midfield players in a 4-4-2. The other option would be to change Marvin's game to allow Carle more freedom but, as he has been our best player this season, this doesn't seem too appealing to me.

Personally, I don't have a great problem with LJ as a midfielder, but I have never thought that the father and manager/ son and player combination works well at any Club, and it is even harder, the higher up the League you go. And the postings on this Forum back up my theory!

Just looked at LJ's record on Soccerbase, and barring 2 games and 3 Sub appearances at Hearts, all his games have been with City or Yeovil. 305 starts, 282 with GJ as Manager. I didn't realise it was so few games for other Managers.

I can not believe any one could think Johnson is so unprofessional that he just plays Lee because he is his son.

This is why Johnson is picked

And this.

He has an excellent eye for a good pass and last season chipped in with important goals.

However just showing bits like this doesn't hide his weaknesses.

I could recount to you countless games where he is just brushed aside by midfielders, has put a tackle in that they've just skipped over and lost possession at key times.

There are pluses and minuses to everyone's game.

It's a harsh accusation of nepotism but my views are based on football.

However the niggling issue in my mind is that it is human nature that GJ will want his son to play well and be on the field.

It happens at boy's clubs every sunday morning, I played in a Bromley Heath side as a kid where the midfielder was schite!! But he was the son of the manager and he played every week.

It's human nature he'll be biased.

Ok, there is an argument that its schoolboy football and doesn't happen at the level we're at.

How's this

Darren Ferguson (son of Alex) played 24 times for Manchester United. Who else in his career has he played for? Wolves, Wrexham and Peterborough. Would you say Man United was in their sphere?

Paul Dalglish (son of Kenny) - played 14 times for Newcastle after being signed for his dad. Who else has he played for? Bury, Blackpool and S****horpe. Now with Houson Dynamo. Yet good enough to play in the Premiership for Newcastle??

I'm not saying that GJ picks him because he is his son. The guy has skill and strengths to offer the team.

I just believe that he is influenced. I've just named two of the most respected and successful men in the British game who may have been mildly influenced whereas an unrelated manager may not have played them

I didn't go to the game, only listened in, so I won't pass judgment on yesterdays performance.

Personally, I have no problem with LJ. On his day he can run the midfield and showed a few weeks ago against Coventry when he was MOM.

Its a question of balance, and one thing I think LJ needs to improve greatly on is tackling and defence. Marvin has been doing so well this year, cos basically hes been playing the defensive role of two midfielders. Fair enough, it could be a bit of the old paul scholes syndrome where he simply can't tackle but for a guy whos played every game (except the cup game) he should at least try a bit more in that side of his game.

I think its a case that LJ is there, cos he is always capable of providing that pass, or that free kick, every team needs a player like that. However, it would be reassuring to the players waiting in the wings, that his position is not completely secure. Noble, Carle, Skuse and Russell can all play in that position and should at least be given a chance if LJ plays badly.

But it must be said, LJ has been a key part of our 2nd place position, so it can be seen why hes always played. Lets face it, barring injuries the only place that has changed constantly has been our front line, with Carey fit our defence and midfield has been pretty consistent and added to a team morale and ethic, which has got us where we are.

I didn't go to the game, only listened in, so I won't pass judgment on yesterdays performance.

Personally, I have no problem with LJ. On his day he can run the midfield and showed a few weeks ago against Coventry when he was MOM.

Its a question of balance, and one thing I think LJ needs to improve greatly on is tackling and defence. Marvin has been doing so well this year, cos basically hes been playing the defensive role of two midfielders. Fair enough, it could be a bit of the old paul scholes syndrome where he simply can't tackle but for a guy whos played every game (except the cup game) he should at least try a bit more in that side of his game.

I think its a case that LJ is there, cos he is always capable of providing that pass, or that free kick, every team needs a player like that. However, it would be reassuring to the players waiting in the wings, that his position is not completely secure. Noble, Carle, Skuse and Russell can all play in that position and should at least be given a chance if LJ plays badly.

But it must be said, LJ has been a key part of our 2nd place position, so it can be seen why hes always played. Lets face it, barring injuries the only place that has changed constantly has been our front line, with Carey fit our defence and midfield has been pretty consistent and added to a team morale and ethic, which has got us where we are.

The problem is when playing a team like QPR yesterday who were snapping in to the tackle and winning all the 50/50 challenges unless Marvin Elliott is at his very best we get overun in midfield.LJ is so lightweight when he tries to tackle , which doesn't seem very often, he gets brushed aside.The fact that GJ will still always select him is bound to lead to problems with supporters.

I can not believe any one could think Johnson is so unprofessional that he just plays Lee because he is his son.

This is why Johnson is picked

And this.

Do you honestly think that 4 assists and a single goal in 29 league games(Of which he has played nearly every minute) from your attacking midfield player is really that good?

Not all that impressed by that stat to be honest. Marvin Elliot is one behind him, He is our Defensive Mid and he doesent take any corners or set pieces. He also has a much better goals tally.

Sproule is also just one behind him, and he has played a number of games less.

I'm not knocking Lee Johnson, Just saying that those stats arent all that impressive. He has played well in a number of games and poorly in others.

I would however like to see Nick Carle given an oppertunity in his favoured position.

Only 4 assists and 1 goal in 30 games is poor

as he is ment to be our creative midfielder

Add to that the fact he cant or wont tackle

You can then see why so many fans think

he shouldnt be in the side

Not sure what you think my view was when I said that, but I was being critical and agree with you fully.

Our set pieces work well, but nobody can tell me he's the only player in the squad who can do the old pretend to kick it then dink the ball forward into the box.

Not sure what you think my view was when I said that, but I was being critical and agree with you fully.

Our set pieces work well, but nobody can tell me he's the only player in the squad who can do the old pretend to kick it then dink the ball forward into the box.

Sorry i replyed to the wrong post DOH!!

The one question that the Anti LJ / nepotism brigade seem relcutant to answer is......

How did we manage to get promoted last season and to 3rd this season only player with 10 players?

In fact, if you listen to a lot of the detractors, we probably did it with 8 players as we haven't had a striker of note for 18 months either.

I am not prepared to believe that the teams in either division were/are so poor that we are able to play them with such a depleted line up and win or draw the majority of our games.

Lee Johnson's one of the first names on the teamsheet because he's the most creative central midfielder at the club (highest amount of assist's at the club)

... is there somewhere online that provides the facts on assists?

The one question that the Anti LJ / nepotism brigade seem relcutant to answer is......

How did we manage to get promoted last season and to 3rd this season only player with 10 players?

In fact, if you listen to a lot of the detractors, we probably did it with 8 players as we haven't had a striker of note for 18 months either.

I am not prepared to believe that the teams in either division were/are so poor that we are able to play them with such a depleted line up and win or draw the majority of our games.

You could say that about Bas, yet we improved considerably when he was on board.

If that isnt playing with 10 men, I don't know what is!

I think the key bit of ammunition that those who arent fond of LJ playing have, is that we now have Nick Carle, who could be the player to replace LJ if he offers a little bit more in every department.

What I will argue is that we are reaching a point now where some of our squad will not be able to meet the challanges of the club sppedy success, that is not just my view, the manager has said the same through his "horses for courses" quotes.

Alex Russell, Enoch Showomni, Richard Keogh, Phil Jevons have all scored goals put in quality performances that have put City where they are, some and maybe all of that group will not play for the club again it is a fact.

My view of Lee Johnson is that given time and space he is a vey effective player and proves this will his dead ball delivery, which has contributed to many of our goals of late. Unfortunately it is my opinion that are lack of goals from open play is a slight cause for concern and needs to be addressed. i have posted in anothere thread that I think we need to get back to playing short passing football as we are by-passing the midfield and on this bases Lee Johnson is not so effective.

The question should be why are we by-passing the midfield? I think the answer to this is that we are not strong enough in the central area. Elliott has been the player of the season, but he needs help, if that means that another option is needed to play alongside him then so bit it. The managers son argument does either side of the debate any credit. It has to be "horses for courses" and if LJ is dropped then he has to fight for his place.

To me the issue yesterday was simple. Nick Carle was having a better game than Lee Johnson, making more tackles and being more effective on the ball. Lee wasn't having a dreadful game, but he wasn't playing particularly well and wasn't "affecting the game (and neither were a number of other City players). GJ wanted to get Sproule on, so it was logical to take off either LJ or NC. So he took off NC!!!

I'm sure subbing LJ once the game was dead was GJ making a point - look, I do sub my son - but he didn't do it at a time when it might have made a difference.

LJ is not a bad player. He helped us get promoted. He got lots of assists (though not as many now he doesn't get to take all the free kicks etc). But he has bad and mediocre games sometimes, and is always picked and never subbed (yesterday doesn't count, for me).

I thought some other central midfield partnerships should have been given a go earlier in the season. Now, if Nick Carle is as good as he seems to be, I think we have someone who is better than LJ - just like Marvin Elliott is better than Cole Skuse, Darren Byfield is better than Phil Jevons - etc.

Will the ME/NC partnership be given a go?

To me the issue yesterday was simple. Nick Carle was having a better game than Lee Johnson, making more tackles and being more effective on the ball. Lee wasn't having a dreadful game

Really? I thought they were both dreadful (as was Elliot) and if I had to say who was the worst of the lot it was Carle. We were overrun on his side of the pitch, and when he did get the ball he rarely did anything productive with it.

Really? I thought they were both dreadful (as was Elliot) and if I had to say who was the worst of the lot it was Carle. We were overrun on his side of the pitch, and when he did get the ball he rarely did anything productive with it.

Fair enough. I don't think any of the midfield covered themselves in glory. I thought Carle looked more likely than LJ to make something happen, but wouldn't say he was particularly sparkling either. I do think that on a number of occasions this season when we've been second best, the centre of midfield has been one of the big problem areas. If Marvin Elliott has an off day - like yesterday, like Ipswich - we seriously struggle.

competely agree with the first post, it has got to a stage now (unbalanced side etc) that the only reason left has to be Nepotism...

shame I know and maybe it is worth having LJ in the side to keep his dad happy, but no way, no way, no way would LJ be a regular in the side at this level, unless it was his own dad picking the side..

Archived