IGNORED

Supporters Or Fans

WarksRed

Some may disagree ..... but I think there is a difference ........

Suporters are exactly what it says on the tin, we SUPPORT OUR TEAM, through the good and the bad....... Support means you try to help them when they are struggling, not booing and shouting abuse because they are not performing to your required standards ........

Being a supporter is not conditional on attending every game, indeed many true supporters find it impossible to do so, but do give the full support when they can get to games .....

Fans, or Fanbase as some prefer to call it grows as the team becomes more successful, these are the fickle ones, grabbing onto the coat tails of success, and who get upset if their new 'hobby' fails to meet their expectations ....... and vocally inform the team of their displeasure .

the booing at QPR, was unacceptable ....... , there have been worse defeats, and worse performances, Ipswich and Barnsley to name two, but those of us who were there stayed and cheered the team at the end, .. i guess those trips were either to far or to low proflie for the 'fickle fans' to attend.

We have another glamour trip next Tuesday, S****horpe on a cold February night, i'm sure those of us who manage to make that trip will be Supporters , not Fans.

Comments on here are another matter, everyone has the right to post their views / feelings about the club and its staff / players, although the amount of personal abuse posted on here recently i think is unacceptable, ........maybe if some of these vitriolic posts were ignored insted of replied to, some degree of rational debate may return to this forum.

we are averaging 1.7 points per game, thats 78 points for the season if we maintain it ............ i say we ...... because the players will find it easier to achieve those points if we support them ..........

The debate whether we have a good enough or big enough squad it irrelevent , GJ has his chosen squad, we have two options, support them, or continue to moan,

i'm sure those of us going to S****horpe will not be going there to moan.

i think 80 points will ensure the play offs for us, only our SUPPORT, will help the tean achieve that.

:englandsmile4wf:

Being a supporter is not conditional on attending every game, indeed many true supporters find it impossible to do so, but do give the full support when they can get to games .....

.. i guess those trips were either to far or to low proflie for the 'fickle fans' to attend.

..bit of a contradiction there don't you think....

We have another glamour trip next Tuesday, S****horpe on a cold February night, i'm sure those of us who manage to make that trip will be Supporters , not Fans.

...bully for you, you have more time, more money, and less work committments than I do. So by your reckoning all the people that cannot go to S****horpe are not supporters?

stop blowing your own trumpet and get real..

Suporters are exactly what it says on the tin, we SUPPORT OUR TEAM, through the good and the bad....... Support means you try to help them when they are struggling, not booing and shouting abuse because they are not performing to your required standards ........

i sort of agree about the difference between supporter and fan,

hower supporters have the right to react how they want to performances on the pitch, if the team deserves to be booed then they will get booed

you get what you deserve, if we went on a dreadful run and lost every game from here to the end of the season, we will do a lot more than booing, but that's football

however it is a personal thing and everybody acts differently. Generally i don't tend to boo as i don't expect us to win everygame, losing is part of football too. I've got used to it watching city.

...bully for you, you have more time, more money, and less work committments than I do. So by your reckoning all the people that cannot go to S****horpe are not supporters?

stop blowing your own trumpet and get real..

no trumpets ........ and i specifically stated in the post

but i guess its easier to ignore whats actually posted, and read what you want into posts .........

unfortunately this is the way this forums going

I did read it, i must have misinterpreted this passage, please you can expand on it so I might be able to understand better, Thank you.

Fans, or Fanbase as some prefer to call it grows as the team becomes more successful, these are the fickle ones, grabbing onto the coat tails of success, and who get upset if their new 'hobby' fails to meet their expectations ....... and vocally inform the team of their displeasure .

the booing at QPR, was unacceptable ....... , there have been worse defeats, and worse performances, Ipswich and Barnsley to name two, but those of us who were there stayed and cheered the team at the end, .. i guess those trips were either to far or to low proflie for the 'fickle fans' to attend.

Comments on here are another matter, everyone has the right to post their views / feelings about the club and its staff / players, although the amount of personal abuse posted on here recently i think is unacceptable, ........maybe if some of these vitriolic posts were ignored insted of replied to, some degree of rational debate may return to this forum.

we are averaging 1.7 points per game, thats 78 points for the season if we maintain it ............ i say we ...... because the players will find it easier to achieve those points if we support them ..........

The debate whether we have a good enough or big enough squad it irrelevent , GJ has his chosen squad, we have two options, support them, or continue to moan,

i think 80 points will ensure the play offs for us, only our SUPPORT, will help the tean achieve that.

I get to as many games as i can, which is kind of hard for me at the minute with more important things to worry about for the minute. Although everytime i do go with my fellow cider red friends we always go there to sing our hearts out, support the team for the full 90 minutes. People, no matter what club will always boo if they ain't happy with the performance they traveled there for and spent alot of money on this day to support them, but just because they boo it doesn't make them any less of a fan, they pay to watch as do all the other fans and have the right for their own opinions and actions, however they choose to do it by supporting or booing the players.

Although we are on a bit of a rough patch at the minute with our lack of ability to score goals from open play, i am still very happy with the season as a whole because of the football we have been playing most of the season and our highly league position is just fantastic as TBH in august i was thinking it was going to be a hard long season but it hasn't turned out like that , fair play to GJ and i have 100% that he will carry on this superb job.

stop blowing your own trumpet and get real.. Totally agree football has its place but it won't put a roof over your head or pay the bills it aint cheap, i've followed this club through all the divisions and always will support them but i won't be at Scunny.

You got it round the wrong way - fans comes from fanatics not fan base and as such are completely nuts for the club, will travel to all matches attend every home match and obviously buy merchandise.

A supporter is someone who will support their club either from a distance or irregularly at home and sometimes away matches.

There is a third set of supporters - who admire and wish the club well and will support during the good days and watch out for the results but wont actively drop other plans for a specific day to watch a match.

Now differentiating between the types of fans, supporters and admirers doesnt usually get any positive outcomes when discussing the matter.

Booing the team is the worst kind of "support" there is,

and i never do, but also, i don't cheer and applaud them off the pitch

when they are crap, like the "fans" or "supporters" who , at Crewe

10 years ago, stood and applauded the team who had just been

relegated. That, to me, was shameful.

I get to as many games as i can, which is kind of hard for me at the minute with more important things to worry about for the minute. Although everytime i do go with my fellow cider red friends we always go there to sing our hearts out, support the team for the full 90 minutes. People, no matter what club will always boo if they ain't happy with the performance they traveled there for and spent alot of money on this day to support them, but just because they boo it doesn't make them any less of a fan, they pay to watch as do all the other fans and have the right for their own opinions and actions, however they choose to do it by supporting or booing the players.

Although we are on a bit of a rough patch at the minute with our lack of ability to score goals from open play, i am still very happy with the season as a whole because of the football we have been playing most of the season and our highly league position is just fantastic as TBH in august i was thinking it was going to be a hard long season but it hasn't turned out like that , fair play to GJ and i have 100% that he will carry on this superb job.

as a football fan ok...i reckon its all going to the dogs..football i mean..we cant do nowt anymore,cant swear,cant stand(well we can but you cant)and soon to change i must say !!!!..fed up with the moaning on our site and cant believe the moaning on here!!!...and football as a whole has changed..if we don't win every game then the managers job is questioned..I'm losing faith in the whole matchday experience..no smoking(i don't smoke)no swearing,no standing etc etc...I'm gas through and through but question the amount of negative stuff being spouted at the mo..on your forum its none of my business to question your views but ffs youre 3rd in the league!!! a fan is a fan ok..we cant get to every game but be it red or blue its there in yer heart.. :fastasleep: night all.

as a football fan ok...i reckon its all going to the dogs..football i mean..we cant do nowt anymore,cant swear,cant stand(well we can but you cant)and soon to change i must say !!!!..fed up with the moaning on our site and cant believe the moaning on here!!!...and football as a whole has changed..if we don't win every game then the managers job is questioned..I'm losing faith in the whole matchday experience..no smoking(i don't smoke)no swearing,no standing etc etc...I'm gas through and through but question the amount of negative stuff being spouted at the mo..on your forum its none of my business to question your views but ffs youre 3rd in the league!!! a fan is a fan ok..we cant get to every game but be it red or blue its there in yer heart.. :fastasleep: night all.

Absolutely, good post, sums it up perfectly IMO. I can't understand the amount of negativity on this forum i would understand if we were still bottom off league 1 but we ain't anymore. Although there are some cracking posts on here, most ATM seem to be just full of negativity, I am loving this season, we have had a brilliant season and i for one am delighted we are were we are and i live in hope that we can push on and make the most of this opportunity of getting to the prem.

I did read it, i must have misinterpreted this passage, please you can expand on it so I might be able to understand better, Thank you.

well i've read my original post several times now, and i cant see anywhere that i put that folks who were unable to get to s****horpe were not supporters ........

the implication was that those who could get to s****horpe are more likely to be those that stand and applaud the team at the end of the game, win or lose, than those that choose to boo a less than acceptable performance in their eyes.

but no matter what you post on here recently, someone will read it as a personal attack on them in some way, and bite back,

i;ve no doubt a lot of you disagree with my view on 'fans', so why not reply with your view rather than decide the basis of my statement is whether i have the time / money to go to every game or not.

the reply re egotism was an interesting viewpoint, i'm thinking about that one.

well i've read my original post several times now, and i cant see anywhere that i put that folks who were unable to get to s****horpe were not supporters ........

the implication was that those who could get to s****horpe are more likely to be those that stand and applaud the team at the end of the game, win or lose, than those that choose to boo a less than acceptable performance in their eyes.

but no matter what you post on here recently, someone will read it as a personal attack on them in some way, and bite back,

i;ve no doubt a lot of you disagree with my view on 'fans', so why not reply with your view rather than decide the basis of my statement is whether i have the time / money to go to every game or not.

the reply re egotism was an interesting viewpoint, i'm thinking about that one.

Some posts mate you'll have to take with a pinch of salt.

Your views of "fans" is intresting, although i do agree that it doesn't matter how many games they attend that makes them a better fan, but fans are equal doesn't matter if you go to every game or say 7 games a season your still a fan of BCFC.

The problem is people will boo if we lose, by 3-0 and it sounded like we got stuffed on the radio but as i wasn't there i can't comment. Peoples expectations are different now that we are high flying in the league but TBH I'm really am happy with our season no matter how it turns out now.

Fao; anyone who might know...... when we got dicked 6-0 at Northampton in 1982 (?) ... bottom of the entire league and all things looking particularly unpretty - did anybody boo ??

Fans or supporters? 'consumers' is the word I think you're looking for

.......and all hail the industry that is Football !!

Fao; anyone who might know...... when we got dicked 6-0 at Northampton in 1982 (?) ... bottom of the entire league and all things looking particularly unpretty - did anybody boo ??

I wasn't even born then I'm afraid!!

:dancing6:

I think it was 7-0 Tim and nobody booed.

I havent read much of this thread, I just happened to see you'd made a contribution mate and your views are always interesting and generally on a par with mine.

My opinion for what its worth is that anyone that boos their own team while the match is in progress is a total plank.

Hope thats in keeping with the rest of the thread.

I think it was 7-0 Tim and nobody booed.

I havent read much of this thread, I just happened to see you'd made a contribution mate and your views are always interesting and generally on a par with mine.

My opinion for what its worth is that anyone that boos their own team while the match is in progress is a total plank.

Hope thats in keeping with the rest of the thread.

I remember getting a right pasting 0-6 up at Tranmere on a cold friday night.

Few years ago now, but that may have been the year we went up?? I can't be arsed to check the year as it'll make me feel old, I was but a wee teenager then though.

For me the more successful we get the more we will get some "good time charlies" that weren't with us down in some hard days.

I don't really distinguish to be honest because half the time you don't know people's personal situations, others have commitments or money issues that some of us don't have but would love to go to some games.

If someone says they support Bristol City as best they can, then fair play to them, good enough for me.

I just hope the club doesn't forget the fans who stuck by them when we were going to Northampton and Brentford rather than Wolves and West Brom. That was one of my issues with the ticket prices, it was hitting the very fans that we should be looking after.

I remember getting a right pasting 0-6 up at Tranmere on a cold friday night.

Few years ago now, but that may have been the year we went up?? I can't be arsed to check the year as it'll make me feel old, I was but a wee teenager then though.

For me the more successful we get the more we will get some "good time charlies" that weren't with us down in some hard days.

I don't really distinguish to be honest because half the time you don't know people's personal situations, others have commitments or money issues that some of us don't have but would love to go to some games.

If someone says they support Bristol City as best they can, then fair play to them, good enough for me.

I just hope the club doesn't forget the fans who stuck by them when we were going to Northampton and Brentford rather than Wolves and West Brom. That was one of my issues with the ticket prices, it was hitting the very fans that we should be looking after.

Top post mate, good points made there and i agree that the more succesful we get the more "big time charlies" as you say we will have, but they won't know games like MK Dons away on their old carp stadium ona cold night and Brighton at home ona cold tuesday night either.... but as you say if they support us they best they can welcome aboard :englandsmile4wf:

you make a lot of good points Warksred and I get what you're saying,I was there saturday as I am at most away games,I won't be at S****horpe though as they'e changed the way I can take my holidays at work,now under no circumstances do I ever begrudge those who are going,I've been to the long distance night games and at the moment I just don't feel like travelling all the way to S****horpe to watch a 1-0 match.

I made the same decision not to go to Hull as I didn't think there'd be to many goals,I was right.

Also I drive to games and with petrol as expensive as it is I can't afford it really.

I'm changing jobs soon and it involves working every other saturday meaning that I'll be at as many as I can but not all,as I have done for the past few years,this will be hard but as I've stated before on here,Bristol City won't pay my bills for me.

Dispite this I'll still be renewing my ST next season as my brother comes to every match aswell so he can bring a mate,also it will allow me to go to games if we are away on my saturdays off.

WarksRed you make some good points mate,I think the booing is wrong although I do get a bit annoyed with the lads when like saturday I get the impression that they aren't giving 100%, even Gary himself admitted that,in which case the fans have a right to express their views,your point about supporting the team can be viewed in another light; The fact that 3000 people turned up to see the team do well,yet after 30 minutes we had lost,so you must put things into perspective at times.

I'm not arguing here,just joining in your debate btw if your going to Scunny I hope you can bring back 3 points for us

the booing at QPR, was unacceptable ....... ,

So was the performance :disapointed2se:

there have been worse defeats, and worse performances, Ipswich and Barnsley to name two,

I thought that despite the scoreline at Ipswich we actually played quite good football, we kept on going with our passing game and never gave up the principals of GJ's good football hence no booing or moaning

I have left games early on many occasions....Bournemouth several years ago at 4-0 down in the 50th minute springs to mind....not to mention...Ipswich when the 6th went in....Palace when the second and Saturday when they scored the third....and I will continue to do so as I have for 30+ years

I will also be at S****horpe next Tuesday and IF (god help us) we are 3-0 down in the second half then I will leave again (oh..I also leave the Dolman some times as well)

I am now very confused after 30+ years of following City home & away and only 16 grounds to go to complete watching City on all of them and a son named Ashton not to mention past pets such as a terrapin called Joe Jaws Jordan and a cockatiel called Terry Terry Cooper

..what does that make me?

Fan or a supporter?

Picture the scene - you've watched your team beat Blackpool and in the post match analysis in the pub your mates are talking about the QPR day and how great it is, you've been before so you know its a good trip plus you bump into a mate who gives you the nod on the new signing so you bite the bullet, change the plans for the stag do you were going on the following weekend, book your train ticket on line then get excited telling your mates you'll be joining them. Wait at your desk for 10:00 on monday to book your match ticket discuss it all week and are generally taken back to the years when you couldn't wait to get to match day - are people still following - you get to the day which has gone well so far, good drink, get to the game find my seat then get subjected to an awful display of football for 45 mins totally out of character with anything you've seen all season leaving an uphill task for the second half which, although they put up a decent fight, was destined for defeat...surely as a paying member of the public who supports his team with financial and spiritual offerings I have the right to voice my opinion?!!? As it happened I didn't boo as I don't believe that would achieve anything but I can fully understand why people would get annoyed if they had built it up to the dizzy heights that I had to then watch 11 professionals let everyone down like that.

This is not mean't as a negative post as I am loving my football and team more than ever at the moment but surely this highlights how much passion people put into this game and club of ours and if you feel let down sometimes you act irrationally!?

From what I can gather - and I didn't go to QPR away - Johnson sent out an unbalanced team and possibly picked the wrong pairing for central defence which meant that the game was effectively over by half-time.

It wasn't that the team showed less effort or desire but that decisions outside their control - Johnson is paid to pick the team and choose the tactics - limited their chances of getting a result from the game.

Therefore it was unfair to boo the team and any booing should have been directed at Johnson.

Now as manager Johnson is paid to get us results and the fact that we're third at the moment shows that he's doing a good job and has made more correct decisions than wrong ones. Like it or not no manager is going to go a whole decision without making some errors of judgement and in Johnson's case he has built up more than enough credit to justify continued support should he make any. Therefore he shouldn't be booed either.

I understand that fans will get frustrated but in this case I don't see what they could hope to achieve. Fair enough if the players aren't putting the effort in or Johnson isn't getting the most out of them but when so much is going right for the club that response cannot be justified.

Going to the dogs, its gone mate. No buzz around the grounds now, compared to 30/40 :noexpression: years ago.Prem wont make much difference, apart from the players/managers pay/bonuses and lack of p.o.d. seats.

Fans,supporters, part timers, armchair fans who cares what they call themselves or what others call them :dunno: Can we not say what we think anymore, just what we are supposed to think.

Football is all about money now the end, sod the fans. :disapointed2se:

You want him to expand his passage for you....?!!? Oo-er... ;)

My interpretation was the fans at S****horpe, or who will be going to S****horpe are true fans, and yes they are, and warks red is saying the ones not there are somehow not quite as much as a fan? Is that correct - because I have to disagree with that?

Was the game at Northampton the one where the hot dog van got turnt over or was that another Northampton game?

My interpretation was the fans at S****horpe, or who will be going to S****horpe are true fans, and yes they are, and warks red is saying the ones not there are somehow not quite as much as a fan? Is that correct - because I have to disagree with that?

Was the game at Northampton the one where the hot dog van got turnt over or was that another Northampton game?

I'm sorry, I was just being extremely rude, but my purile humour clearly wasn't obvious enough and must have flown over your head like Concorde on speed...! :laugh:

Sorry for bringing the tone of the conversation down somewhat...

Archived