IGNORED

Do We Actually Want To Get Promoted?

The Humble Realist

A part of me does say, let them do it, let them go ahead and let the fans boycott matches and not subscribe to sky and not buy season tickets because believe me without the fans the clubs are all screwed.

Good shout but in reality people will not stand side by side and protest with their feet. If nobody had subscribed to Sky in the first place how long would it have lasted? If nobody bought season tickets as a protest against the cost what would the clubs do? If nobody went to all seater stadia when terracing was abolished would they have been brought back? We'll never know because there will always be takers. Human nature I suppose.

Guest MaloneFM

Its a discussion. Its not going to happen for ages if ever.

God knows its taken them long enough to sort out goal line technology and the referee still has two watches on rather than automatic timing controlled from the stand like in chase the egg.

They still reply on the farce of penalty shoot outs rather than golden goal and Wayne Rooney still stays on when, and I quote, the refree of the last Man Utd game was an 'effing cheat'.

The cameras just cut away when he starts to scream filthy language.

Oh and the shirts still cost about a fiver to make and 40 quid to buy.

Think they will be playing abroad any time soon?

Its a discussion. Its not going to happen for ages if ever.

They still reply on the farce of penalty shoot outs rather than golden goal and Wayne Rooney still stays on when, and I quote, the refree of the last Man Utd game was an 'effing cheat'.

The cameras just cut away when he starts to scream filthy language.

Oh and the shirts still cost about a fiver to make and 40 quid to buy.

Think they will be playing abroad any time soon?

Come on Malone, we all know the rules, TWO penalties given to the opposition at Old Trafford in the last 13 years, flexible injury time depending on whether Man U are winning, drawing or losing.

Cristiano Ronaldo allowed to dive, team mates to repeatedly foul, but yellow cards only dished out (especially by the friend of the big four Rob Styles) for the other side.

If these games were in Italy I'm sure we all know what people would think...........

I think that we should be more concerned about first getting to the Premiership rather than dealing with the minor consequences of having to play a match or two overseas if we do happen to make it!

You ask whether we want promotion if this is the price we would have to pay? Duh ... yes please!

Are you sure? Out of interest, what could the Premier League do that would mean you don't want to join?

surely this proposal is the thin egde of the wedge?

whats to stop top clubs from playing 'home' matches all around the world? how long will it be before man u or liverpool have home matches in dubai, los angeles, beijing, tokyo, sydney etc... week in week out?

thats the next worrying step...

Come on Malone, we all know the rules, TWO penalties given to the opposition at Old Trafford in the last 13 years, flexible injury time depending on whether Man U are winning, drawing or losing.

Cristiano Ronaldo allowed to dive, team mates to repeatedly foul, but yellow cards only dished out (especially by the friend of the big four Rob Styles) for the other side.

If these games were in Italy I'm sure we all know what people would think...........

not disbelieving you but bl00dy heck i didnt realise, 2 pens for opposition in 13 yrs,absolutly scandalous.

Completely sure. The objective of playing in any league system is to progress through it. The next progression for City is to gain promotion to the Premier League. Surely that's what we all want?

Valid point, but what's the point in playing in a league where you can never become the best? (just playing the D.A. here.)

Valid point, but what's the point in playing in a league where you can never become the best? (just playing the D.A. here.)

BCFC PROMOTION AND THE PROMISED LAND !!!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

I've been waiting less than patiently for 28 years for a BCFC return to the top flight. I know we'll probably never be best in the top flight but to finish mid-table there would be fantastic. If we came straight back down with the parachute financial payment - would it really matter? :innocent06:

BCFC PROMOTION AND THE PROMISED LAND !!!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

I've been waiting less than patiently for 28 years for a BCFC return to the top flight. I know we'll probably never be best in the top flight but to finish mid-table there would be fantastic. If we came straight back down with the parachute financial payment - would it really matter? :innocent06:

I'm with you man (like i said, just playing D.A.) it'd be like Rotherham on acid or something. But once you reach the premiership, what do you do then? Hope that in 5-10 years time you might get to play Larissa in the group stage of the UEFA cup? Mouth watering.

Same applies if we stay in the Championship all our lives.

At least in the Championship we can have genuine aspirations to be the best, in the league above, money will mean the best we could hope for (in the forseeable future at least) would be 5th place.

IMO it's not necessarily about being "the best" but being better that counts.

Only one team every season can claim to be "the best" for which you earn a big wedge of money, a nice trophy and a place in the Champions League. The team finishing in 4th place in the Prem gets a very similar reward - just no trophy. I'd be happy enough with 4th place in the Prem! But enough about 2011 ...

Completely sure. The objective of playing in any league system is to progress through it. The next progression for City is to gain promotion to the Premier League. Surely that's what we all want?

You didn't answer the question.

There's far more to football than winning. I know this sounds like the classic "it's how you play the game" Englishness but, at the end of the day Brian, you have to analyse what's important for you and whether you are willing to sacrifice it to win.

For me, I would rather play in the Championship than be in a Premier League that dictated that all away games are home fans only. That's a ridiculous suggestion though. It could never happen.....

IMO it's not necessarily about being "the best" but being better that counts.

As in, improving on your performance/league position of last season? There's a long term philosophy i could buy into.

Only one team every season can claim to be "the best" for which you earn a big wedge of money, a nice trophy and a place in the Champions League. The team finishing in 4th place in the Prem gets a very similar reward - just no trophy. I'd be happy enough with 4th place in the Prem! But enough about 2011 ...

But the big wedge of money doesn't really affect you. There's little chance the club would use it to reduce ticket prices or something equally altruistic. I think, one of the big attractions of football is the rivalry and one upmanship, we all enjoy basking in the reflected glory of our team's success, if 5th/4th place is the best we can manage, then, well, the basking may well be short lived.

You didn't answer the question.

There's far more to football than winning. I know this sounds like the classic "it's how you play the game" Englishness but, at the end of the day Brian, you have to analyse what's important for you and whether you are willing to sacrifice it to win.

For me, I would rather play in the Championship than be in a Premier League that dictated that all away games are home fans only. That's a ridiculous suggestion though. It could never happen.....

Chivs, I've been watching the City for almost 50 years (which scares me) and after all the dross I've had to put up with under God knows how many managers, I reckon I can stand a bit of winning!

I don't like the way that the Prem is going any more than I like the way that the country is going. On the whole I'm more scared by the views expressed today by the Archbishop of Canterbury than I am by those in charge of the Premier League. I take your point that Murdoch has way too much influence over the powers that be, but football and the Premiership will continue to evolve - for better and for worse - and I'd rather the City are part of it than sitting mid-table in the Championship (because whichever way you look at it, it's still Division Two ... just cleverly rebranded).

I watched City's 4 seasons in Division One last time around and I want to see them back there before I start dribbling and forgetting who I am.

Chivs, I've been watching the City for almost 50 years (which scares me) and after all the dross I've had to put up with under God knows how many managers, I reckon I can stand a bit of winning!

I don't like the way that the Prem is going any more than I like the way that the country is going. On the whole I'm more scared by the views expressed today by the Archbishop of Canterbury than I am by those in charge of the Premier League. I take your point that Murdoch has way too much influence over the powers that be, but football and the Premiership will continue to evolve - for better and for worse - and I'd rather the City are part of it than sitting mid-table in the Championship (because whichever way you look at it, it's still Division Two ... just cleverly rebranded).

I watched City's 4 seasons in Division One last time around and I want to see them back there before I start dribbling and forgetting who I am.

I'm with you rudolf, I'm 40 now but i don't want to see this chance squandered,i to could be a dribbiling wreck by the time we are in this position again,so i say go for it ,I'm not making out that our younger generation arnet passionate supporters,, but age dosent come alone and id like to be self aware if we are up there.

"But the big wedge of money doesn't really affect you. There's little chance the club would use it to reduce ticket prices or something equally altruistic. I think, one of the big attractions of football is the rivalry and one upmanship, we all enjoy basking in the reflected glory of our team's success, if 5th/4th place is the best we can manage, then, well, the basking may well be short lived."

TD - At the risk of sounding too philosophical, I think that it helps your enjoyment of what you achieve if you remember where you've come from. I well recall going to Newport County in 1982, to watch what I and many others truly believed would be City in action for the very last time. Grown men cried that day (including me). We were relegated to Division Four that year and plunged to the bottom of that division for much of that season with the prospect of re-election looming large. So against that backdrop to see City reach the Prem again - if only for even one season - would be fantastic to experience.

A mate of mine is a Chelsea season ticket holder. He said that they have supporters who have been watching them for 5 years and have never experienced seeing their team lose a game, such is their home record. For these guys, finishing 5th in the Prem would be a disaster. The lows which they have experienced in their history have not been that low at all compared to ours.

For us 5th place in the Prem would be a dream come true! Bring it on, I say.

TD - At the risk of sounding too philosophical, I think that it helps your enjoyment of what you achieve if you remember where you've come from. I well recall going to Newport County in 1982, to watch what I and many others truly believed would be City in action for the very last time. Grown men cried that day (including me). We were relegated to Division Four that year and plunged to the bottom of that division for much of that season with the prospect of re-election looming large. So against that backdrop to see City reach the Prem again - if only for even one season - would be fantastic to experience.

A mate of mine is a Chelsea season ticket holder. He said that they have supporters who have been watching them for 5 years and have never experienced seeing their team lose a game, such is their home record. For these guys, finishing 5th in the Prem would be a disaster. The lows which they have experienced in their history have not been that low at all compared to ours.

For us 5th place in the Prem would be a dream come true! Bring it on, I say.

I hadn't even been born in '82! And thus, couldn't attempt to empathise with what you must've felt that day. The lowest i know is maybe my first away game (Northampton on boxing day, we lost 2-0, Beadle missed a sitter from about 6 yards, and i had to get up at about 7 O'Clock) or my second away game (Blackpool, 5-1, less said the better.) I believe your sentiment is true, darkest before dawn and all that, you can't appreciate the good without experiencing the bad (our 9 game losing streak a prime example.) Everytime we lose a Championship game i think about being sat in the open air away end at MK Dons watching us hold a 1-0 lead for 87 minutes in an ostensibly meaningless Friday night game, and how happy that victory made me.

But, long term, can anyone really get excited about playing for 5th place every year, just waiting for the "premiership" bubble to burst and even the playing field? (Actually, the day the Prem bubble bursts will be funking hilarious.)

How does the Melbourne constabulary compare with the Met's "finest"? Your answer may decide whether or not I make the trip!

Very tolerant really . They are used to dealing with Australian Rules Fans, and the rivalry between supporters of the various clubs is not so intense as in the U.K. Even when followers of the inter-state clubs show themselves they are usaully only subjected to quite friendly banter by the locals, so there is little scope for "Police Brutality".

So come and welcome !

Point taken, but from a purely selfish personal point-of-view I would be delighted to see Bristol City (that well-known PREMIERSHIP team, obviously ) play just one game in Melbourne.

The amount of time I'm spending in Melbourne this year for work, I reckon I could make that game as well!!

On the Man United penalties stat - is that true??? TWO penalties?? Surely not, but I am struggling to remember any.

Oh and my answer to the original question - YES I WOULD LOVE BRISTOL CITY TO BE PLAYING IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE!

Very tolerant really . They are used to dealing with Australian Rules Fans, and the rivalry between supporters of the various clubs is not so intense as in the U.K. Even when followers of the inter-state clubs show themselves they are usaully only subjected to quite friendly banter by the locals, so there is little scope for "Police Brutality".

So come and welcome !

Unless of course its tennis whereby the Melbourne Police come along and spray mace in your face......

:noexpression:

On the Man United penalties stat - is that true??? TWO penalties?? Surely not, but I am struggling to remember any.

Yes, it is true. Both awarded to Middlesborough, but the only penalties given to the opposition in League games there in the last 13 years.

A team air crash equals a life time immunity. Thats the way it is, perhaps when Charlton passes on + 5 years, things may change. As things are, they are a national treasure, untouchable.

Archived