IGNORED

Do We Actually Want To Get Promoted?

The Humble Realist

We're all concerned by this latest idea by the Premiership chairmen as it's clearly not in anyones interest except to enrichen those top 5 clubs. All the money will only go in agents fees and even greater player wages - and even they must be wondering how many more blinged up american 4x4's they can park in the drive and what to do with all those rolex watches.

I think it will happen in some form - and if "successful" - ie - If they make a lot of money - it will only increase. The money-men (Glazer, Lerner, Hicks, Gold etc) will see to that and Scudamore's pledge that it will only ever be one game will mean nothing when he's voted out by the ever increasing number of yanks in the Premier league.

To answer the question - Do we want to get promoted?

Well - yes we do,-- while we can, because I'm sure that before long these American owners will put pressure on to scrap promotion/relegation to the Premier League (as in the case of the NFL). Tom Hicks (Liiverpool co-owner) has already been reported as being horified that relegation exists within the Prem. and he couldn't understand that having bought "the franchise" it could be devalued simply because a team could have a bad season. After all - to those people it's all about the money and not the sport and they believe that their money should guarantee their place at the trough.

Of course - in the case of Liverpool - it's not even their money anymore as the "owners" are transferring the money they borrowed at high interest rates onto the club so that effectively the club's income stream (that's the fans in old money) have to service the loan and the club are responsible for the debt (their debt).

If you and I applied that kind of process to our own lives and our own loans and mortgages they'd call it stealing -

and they'd be right.

CR

We're all concerned by this latest idea by the Premiership chairmen as it's clearly not in anyones interest except to enrichen those top 5 clubs. All the money will only go in agents fees and even greater player wages - and even they must be wondering how many more blinged up american 4x4's they can park in the drive and what to do with all those rolex watches.

I think it will happen in some form - and if "successful" - ie - If they make a lot of money - it will only increase. The money-men (Glazer, Lerner, Hicks, Gold etc) will see to that and Scudamore's pledge that it will only ever be one game will mean nothing when he's voted out by the ever increasing number of yanks in the Premier league.

To answer the question - Do we want to get promoted?

Well - yes we do,-- while we can, because I'm sure that before long these American owners will put pressure on to scrap promotion/relegation to the Premier League (as in the case of the NFL). Tom Hicks (Liiverpool co-owner) has already been reported as being horified that relegation exists within the Prem. and he couldn't understand that having bought "the franchise" it could be devalued simply because a team could have a bad season. After all - to those people it's all about the money and not the sport and they believe that their money should guarantee their place at the trough.

Of course - in the case of Liverpool - it's not even their money anymore as the "owners" are transferring the money they borrowed at high interest rates onto the club so that effectively the club's income stream (that's the fans in old money) have to service the loan and the club are responsible for the debt (their debt).

If you and I applied that kind of process to our own lives and our own loans and mortgages they'd call it stealing -

and they'd be right.

CR

The problem clubs have is that they end up being owned by non-football people or those who are purely interested in their investment.

The Glazers and the Liverpool owners are the latest example but the best example of this is Leeds United.

They should be a shining beacon of the dangers of chasing cash and overstretching yourself at the top.

I was actually working in the sport and leisure section of asset management going back when it kicked off about them a few years ago.

I remember Ridsdale saying in a press conference he was going to speak with Leeds' owners that they could get more time and they wouldn't have to sell any players.

I recall at the time thinking "this bloke doesn't live in this world".

Leeds' main "owners" at that time were Citibank USA, Morgan Stanley Europe Asset Management, Merrill Lynch SA. Those three had loaned Leeds capital and had given him an interest structure in return for equity in the club.

He was going to go to them and say we can't pay the loan but we don't want you to sell anyone so we can compete in the F A Cup.

Do you think any of these (most portfolio managers were based in Switzerland and Germany) gave a flying **** about that?

An interesting point on Leeds - they may have gone into administration but you read their accounts and the investment banks received every penny they were owed. Ridsdale played with organisations a whole lot smarter than him.

I want us to be in the Premier League but while we gaze at some of the big money just bear Leeds United in mind.

Add in the fact that you would pretty well NEVER get to see the team away from home (for those exiles amongst us that's very bad news as away games are often MUCH easier than home games). Tickets for home games would be snapped up by the Corporate sponsorship Prawn sandwich brigade and the team would be full of mercenaries, watched by glory hunters.

The comments about wanting to get to the top are of course right, we all want to see City do as well as is possible, otherwise we wouldn't be 'supporters' so whilst I DO want us to get to the Premiership, I buy in entirely to the notion that there is a lot wrong with it and it might mean that people like me pretty well never get to watch City live any more. Because of where I live, my youngest daughter is a Liverpool fan (eldest supports City but I got distracted later), from time to time I try to take her to Anfield - nightmare, you pretty well have to sleep rough for a week and wait for people to die before you can get even a rubbish ticket.

So, yes, Premiership wold be great but it is far from being wonderful, things would be very different for City and City fans and not all those changes would be nice. Good thread.

Well everyone is saying lets go up and get the money but isnt it about a time foootball become about more than money?

Id be delighted to see Steve L or Gary J rubish these proposals because Harry redknapp has it spot on, if the games are a success theyl play even more games.

What really winds me up is all the managers saying "our players are tired there is too many games"

now they want to put an extra game in, selfish, rich idiots. I hope we distance ourselves from it

I've got a compromise!

Let Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool quit the Premiership and join a European (or World) super league. That would leave the rest of us to enjoy football as it should be, with every team having a realistic chance of progression and of winning things.

Good riddance to them I say!

The question asked was 'Do we really want to get promoted?' which is a bit like asking Do you want to win on Saturday?

The answer for every fan has to be 'Of course i want to win and therefore get promoted'

The issues about what the Premership might or might not do is irrelevant if your not in the Premership. Lets get there and at least our club would have a say.

As for a fair league look at the Championship. Hardly fair with the ex Premership clubs with massive parachute payments but would you rather be back in league 1?

Football is a business now like it or not. If the Premership goes international how long before the effects start to filter down to the Championship and i for 1 would rather be in the Premership being treated like crap than in the Championship being treated like crap.

I saw the question at the start of the thread and have not even read the rest of the thread because the answer is YES YES YES.

I'm 37 and to see City gain promotion to the flight would be up there with my wedding day and the birth of my kids that is how much it would mean to me.

Rant over!

Hey Stucks, I always appreciate a good rant and I'm a big subscriber to the theory that in the long term, slow promotion is the best promotion because you'll be best prepared.

That said, we want to get promoted. You miss 100% of the shots you never take and if we miss out on this chance, we're not guaranteed to be sitting in the same position next season ready for promotion.

If we get the chance we should take it. With the right moves in the offseason theres nothing saying we can't finish at least 4th from bottom, other teams have done it I see Reading and Wigan making names for themselves and I remember a few seasons back playing against them in League One.

Whether or not it works out, its worth the chance.

I do think the extra match is idiotic. They should make the foreign match take the place of one of the home games of the top 10 teams in the last seasons table instead of adding an extra game.

Archived